Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2014, 15:20   #1
BHPian

Our Modified Mahindra Bolero 4x4

Jeeps have been a part of our family for decades..from the MM540 DP in the 1990s to Gypsys, 2wdBoleros, Range Rover, Pajero, Fortuner, Thar, Pajero Sport and most recently a Bolero 4x4.

The Bolero 4x4 was bought for use as a daily drive but primarily so it can be modified to its core to make a handsome and capable 4x4 machine.

The basic vehicle was pretty much that..basic. It needed a number of modifications to improve comfort, ability and looks.

It was Abhay's passion for all things 4x4 and his deep knowledge and understanding in mechanics and 4x4 systems that led to the birth of his baby the Monster Bolero 4x4.

For now ill let the pics do the talking and shall regularly update the thread with pics and videos of the Monster in action and all future modifications ofcourse.

As you can see.. lots of modifications. The FYLRYT Fog Lamps have 130 watt tubes and have the option of 'Spot' or Spread''
Our Modified Mahindra Bolero 4x4-1.jpg

Custom made front Winch Bumper with custom inserts to fit the smaller fog lights which are Hella 500 FF
Our Modified Mahindra Bolero 4x4-2.jpg

A view of the rear with the specially mounted Jerry Can.
Our Modified Mahindra Bolero 4x4-3.jpg

The side steps/foot boards are specially made and bolted to the chassis directly so that the vehicle can be lifted at any point. They also act as Rock Sliders. The hi lift jack is mounted here as well.
Our Modified Mahindra Bolero 4x4-4.jpg

The Reese Cabin Markers have been mounted using 3M double Tape so no holes are drilled in the roof.
Our Modified Mahindra Bolero 4x4-5.jpg

The Winch is an IRONMAN 12,000 lbs. 'Monster Winch' is integrated within the specially made bumper.
Our Modified Mahindra Bolero 4x4-6.jpg

The Gypsy Snorkel is a perfect fit and the carbon fibre antenna works very well with the radio during rallies.
Our Modified Mahindra Bolero 4x4-7.jpg

The front and rear seats have been changed out for 4 captain seats that can turn into two recliners and are easy to sleep in for 2 people if the need arises.
Our Modified Mahindra Bolero 4x4-8.jpg
Our Modified Mahindra Bolero 4x4-9.jpg

All the lights on and ready to go!!
Our Modified Mahindra Bolero 4x4-10.jpg

The Fender flares are actually original and are bolted to spacers and made to look like one piece after paint.
Our Modified Mahindra Bolero 4x4-11.jpg
Our Modified Mahindra Bolero 4x4-13.jpg

The Jerry can is bolted mounted and bolted to the door and is held by latch locks on the side panel which divides the weight and prevents it from rattling
Our Modified Mahindra Bolero 4x4-12.jpg

The in car entertainment is covered by 6.1 Speakers Sound system powered by 2 Rockford 4 Channel Amps. It almost covers the loud engine clatter at low speeds.
Our Modified Mahindra Bolero 4x4-14.jpg

Apart from this the Alternator has been upgrated from 55 to 90 amps and the Air filter has been changed to a K&N filter. Nothing much else can be done to the DI Turbo Engine.

The OEM Leaf Springs have been changed to Two Stage Leaf Springs and are the best mix between comfort and load carrying ability. We are playing around with Fortuner Shockers to improve comfort and stability.

More on that soon.

Look forward to your comments and suggestions.
Manuuj is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 16:34   #2
BHPian

re: Our Modified Mahindra Bolero 4x4

Looks amazing. Just one question, is the bull guard specially designed. If yes, where in Delhi can one get it done. Want to change the guard for my storme but not liking the designs offered in the market. Have a design in my mind, would be very helpful if you could guide.
Old 27th October 2014, 16:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
Look forward to your comments and suggestions.
Dear Manuuj,
A well laid out improvements you have done to your Bolero. Everything looks in place/sync with the vehicle.
I have few questions:
1) What brand and size of tyres ?
2) Where you got the front bumper fabricated ?
3) Are these captain seats from Innova ?
4) Can you please elaborate on leaf modifications you have done and which shock absorbers you are using and which you recommend for Bolero 4x4 ?
5) 90 amps alternator which you are using is off which vehicle, Safari ?

Will appreciate your detailed answers.

Regards,
Shubhendra
Old 27th October 2014, 16:59   #4
Team-BHP Support

Excellent thread and you could not have timed it better as I was looking to modify my Bolero 4WD as well to give it a mean look. What is the model of the Bolero and which year? Mine is a LX 2012 model without AC.
Old 27th October 2014, 19:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Our Modified Mahindra Bolero 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASMEET MATTOO View Post
If yes, where in Delhi can one get it done. Want to change the guard for my storme but not liking the designs offered in the market. Have a design in my mind, would be very helpful if you could guide.
You can try Mandeep Singh (renegade forum ID). He is based in Chandigarh and recently started a offroad accessory fabrication workshop.

Regards,
Shubhendra
Shubhendra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 19:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

Very well thought and equally executed to suit and fit the vehicle of choice.

Any changes under the bonnet to the engine or its still stock?
Old 27th October 2014, 20:42   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Bolero 4x4 was bought for use as a daily drive but primarily so it can be modified to its core to make a handsome and capable 4x4 machine.
Did yours come with or without AC? Also what was the approx ballpark figure of all the mods? I will be surprised if it didn't come to nearly 50-60% cost of the vehicle, especially with the 'Monster winch' install.

Also, can you please share some more details about the cabin marker lights? The wiring etc, looks cool

Quote:
Looks amazing. Just one question, is the bull guard specially designed. If yes, where in Delhi can one get it done.
Lookup Azad 4x4 and Bimbra 4x4. Both are based in Delhi and provide custom front bumpers for Gypsy, Thar etc. Maybe they can design something similar for the Storme.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 12:54   #8
BHPian

Our Modified Mahindra Bolero 4x4

Quote:
Looks amazing. Just one question, is the bull guard specially designed. If yes, where in Delhi can one get it done. Want to change the guard for my storme but not liking the designs offered in the market. Have a design in my mind, would be very helpful if you could guide.
Hi Jasmeet, Yes the Winch Bumper was custom made for the Jeep. This was done at Performance Motors in Mohali by a gentleman called Zorawar Singh. He is himself an Offroad enthusiast and has a workshop dedicated to modding vehicles for the same purpose.

PM me for his number as i dont know if its okay to give his cellphone number out on a public forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Dear Manuuj,
A well laid out improvements you have done to your Bolero. Everything looks in place/sync with the vehicle.
I have few questions:
1) What brand and size of tyres ?
2) Where you got the front bumper fabricated ?
3) Are these captain seats from Innova ?
4) Can you please elaborate on leaf modifications you have done and which shock absorbers you are using and which you recommend for Bolero 4x4 ?
5) 90 amps alternator which you are using is off which vehicle, Safari ?

Will appreciate your detailed answers.

Regards,
Shubhendra
Hi Shubhendra
1) The tyres are Michelin Latitude Cross 235/70/16
2) Front Bumper was fabricated at Performance Motors Mohali..Zorawar Singh is the Owner. PM me for the cell Number.
3) Yes the Seats are from the Innova
4) They are Toyo leaf springs and Tokico Gas filled shocks. If your Budget is higher you can go for Ironman Nitro Gas charged shocks also.
The front Shock absorbers are direct bolt on from the Pajero Sport and the rear ones were slightly modified ones from the Fortuner.
5) The Alternator is off the Scorpio Crde.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Excellent thread and you could not have timed it better as I was looking to modify my Bolero 4WD as well to give it a mean look. What is the model of the Bolero and which year? Mine is a LX 2012 model without AC.
Hi Blackpearl! Good to hear from you. This is a Jan 2014 LX Model. It came without the AC but with OEM Wiring and Switches for the same factory installed. Abhay installed the Sanden kit. Its the same one that comes in the SLX and ZLX models. He also swapped out the Radiator also for the one that comes in the ZLX Bolero as its slightly larger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
Very well thought and equally executed to suit and fit the vehicle of choice.

Any changes under the bonnet to the engine or its still stock?
Hi Parm! The Turbo has been upgraded to the one from the Scorpio CRDE. It is larger and has more wings. Its made the engine rev smoother than before and also resulted in better in gear acceleration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Did yours come with or without AC? Also what was the approx ballpark figure of all the mods? I will be surprised if it didn't come to nearly 50-60% cost of the vehicle, especially with the 'Monster winch' install.

Also, can you please share some more details about the cabin marker lights? The wiring etc, looks cool
Hahaha yes that is true Dry Ice. It has been a labor of love for Abhay. I have asked him to send Pics of the Cabin Markers and wiring details and shall post them soon.

Another addition has been the installation of Lamda Free Wheeling hubs that has given the vehicle the added option of 2WD Low Range.

I shall post some pics in my next post
Manuuj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 13:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
These are Reese lights commonly available online, i have put them on my bolero as well and connected with parking light.

Shubhendra
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 13:26   #10
BHPian

The work for the Bumper and other modifications were done at Performance Motors, Phase 7, Mohali.

The owner is Zorawar Singh and his number is: 09876541401.
I asked him if it was okay to give out his number and he agreed.

(Disclaimer: I have no monetary or any other interest in Performance Motors and my recommendation is purely based on his skill and good work that i experienced personally. I found them to be quite learned in their field and well equipped to handle such modifications)

The Toyo two stage leaf spring setup.
Our Modified Mahindra Bolero 4x4-15.jpg
Our Modified Mahindra Bolero 4x4-16.jpg

Lamda Free Wheeling Hub
Our Modified Mahindra Bolero 4x4-17.jpg
Our Modified Mahindra Bolero 4x4-18.jpg

The upgraded Turbo from the Scorpio Crde
Our Modified Mahindra Bolero 4x4-19.jpg
Our Modified Mahindra Bolero 4x4-20.jpg

Abhays monster on the road!!
Our Modified Mahindra Bolero 4x4-21.jpg

..and in the mud!
Our Modified Mahindra Bolero 4x4-abhay-bolero-1.jpg

Last edited by Manuuj : 28th October 2014 at 13:37.
Manuuj is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 15:53   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Lamda Free Wheeling Hub
Attachment 1303419
Attachment 1303420
Hi,
Why your freewheel hub looks a flower design when fitted on wheels?.
Old 28th October 2014, 15:58   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
Hi,
Hi Rajith,

Could you please elaborate on what you mean. I didn't understand your question.
Old 28th October 2014, 16:12   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
Hi,
Rajith Ji,
it looks like, There is a plastic hub cap which they cut from front and put it over FWHs. Nice idea to copy

Shubhendra
Old 28th October 2014, 16:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

Extremely well executed mods! Very very nice! A wonderful car you got there!
Have you also changed the fueling to go with the bigger turbo? Was it not possible to swap the engine from Scorpio in this for extra go during the highway drives?
Old 28th October 2014, 17:10   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent Mods Manuuj. Your Bolero looks very hot.

I was infact going to ask about the engine myself. This is the biggest bug-bear of the Bolero & Thar DI. 63bhp and 18 kgm Torque.

Was the Scorpo turbo a straight fit or did you you have to make adapters etc, etc. Did you have to make any pump adjustments for additional fuelling? Did you loose the low end Torque, i.e is there an initial lag due to bigger Turbo??

Thanks in advance...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks