Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2014, 17:37   #16
BHPian

Re: Our Modified Mahindra Bolero 4x4

Great vehicle Manuuj. Clean well finished mods. Cheers.

Biggest question as 4x4addict pointed out - the turbo.

*Is it direct replacement on the Di engine?
* What changes in fuelling?
* Any changes in engine temp?
* Any changes on FE?
* How long have you run this set up and any difference of bigger turbo with 4x4 mode?

Sorry for too many questions but replacing a Di turbo with a bigger one has always been on my mind

Thanks
Barani
Old 28th October 2014, 17:37   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
The Bolero 4x4 was bought for use as a daily drive but primarily so it can be modified to its core to make a handsome and capable 4x4 machine.
Was Bolero chosen because Thar already exists in the garage?

I'm just curious because a Thar would be a better looking & better performing 4x4 (including its ability to being a daily drive with such extensive mods).
Old 28th October 2014, 18:16   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I'm just curious because a Thar would be a better looking & better performing 4x4 (including its ability to being a daily drive with such extensive mods).
Thar is fine as long as you have to take only 1 extra passenger. Any time you want to take anymore passengers, especially elderly folks, Thar becomes a pain !!
Old 28th October 2014, 18:17   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Look forward to your comments and suggestions.
That's a super-hot machine you've created!! Great job and Congrats to both you and Performance Motors. If you don't mind me asking, then I would like to know the total dent on your pocket the project caused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Excellent thread and you could not have timed it better as I was looking to modify my Bolero 4WD as well to give it a mean look. What is the model of the Bolero and which year? Mine is a LX 2012 model without AC.
The moment I saw the first picture on this thread, I was going to send the link of this thread to you and then I saw your comment! I hope you find someone like Mr Zorawar Singh to help you out and no passenger tries to stop you ever after
psurelia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 11:39   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psurelia View Post
The moment I saw the first picture on this thread, I was going to send the link of this thread to you and then I saw your comment! I hope you find someone like Mr Zorawar Singh to help you out and no passenger tries to stop you ever after
I totally echo psurelia. Was wondering Sumitro and Ritik needs to see this. Specially because the last time they both were discussing the leaf springs, bilstein shocks and modded bumpers.
Altocumulus is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 12:44   #21
BANNED

Quote:
The FYLRYT Fog Lamps have 130 watt tubes and have the option of 'Spot' or Spread''
Where did you get them, and what is their cost please?

Also, what is your opinion about their performance in spot and spread?

BTW: The best Bolero on TBHP, and the best I've ever seen..!!
Old 30th October 2014, 13:46   #22
BHPian

Our Modified Mahindra Bolero 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Excellent Mods Manuuj. Your Bolero looks very hot. Was the Scorpo turbo a straight fit or did you you have to make adapters etc, etc. Did you have to make any pump adjustments for additional fuelling? Did you loose the low end Torque, i.e is there an initial lag due to bigger Turbo??..
Thank you for your kind words 4x4 addict

That's a very pertinent question with regard to the turbo fitment. As far as fitting the larger turbo is concerned there is no need to make adapters or flanges or to drill any extra holes.

"However there is a slight change in the orientation that you shall figure out by flexing your mechanical muscles" in the words of Abhay.

Fuel Flow is increased a bit otherwise the fuel would have become too lean for the engine.

There is no Turbo lag after the change in fuel settings but to be extra sure Abhay further increased the psi in the Turbo and played around with it till he achieved the desired performance balance.

He has done 2 otr's and about 2000 kms after this Turbo upgrade and everything seems to be running clean and good. He says he noticed the most difference in the hills where he did about 500 kms recently. The vehicle would easily overtake the stock Bolero in inclines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by commander View Post
Great vehicle Manuuj. Clean well finished mods. Cheers.

Biggest question as 4x4addict pointed out - the turbo.

*Is it direct replacement on the Di engine?
* What changes in fuelling?
* Any changes in engine temp?
* Any changes on FE?
* How long have you run this set up and any difference of bigger turbo with 4x4 mode?

Sorry for too many questions but replacing a Di turbo with a bigger one has always been on my mind

Thanks
Barani
Hi Barani, Thank you for your kind words. I have answered some of your questions above.

A regards the Fuel economy it does drop by about 1.5 kmpl when driven enthusiastically (which is Abhay's preferred style of driving). But if you keep the car under 80 on highways there is an INCREASE in FE by about 1 kmpl.

Basically through the North Indian Summer the Car has given 12-13 on the highway and 9 within the city with the AC on. This should improve in the winters again. All engines consume less fuel in lower ambient temperatures.

The engine temperature has not been an issue as the Radiator is larger than the stock Bolero's.

Abhay hinted that he may install the Scorpios Intercooler soon too which should see a jump in performance.

By the way his Bolero already sports the Scorpios Clutch Plate, Pressure plate and Release bearing which was a direct fit hence a simple upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Was Bolero chosen because Thar already exists in the garage?I'm just curious because a Thar would be a better looking & better performing 4x4 (including its ability to being a daily drive with such extensive mods).
Hi Fine69, You are correct.

Abhay already had a fully modded Thar that he later sold. All modifications were carried out by Abhay and Zorawar at Performance Motors, Mohali whose telephone number i have already given.

This was the vehicle that Abhay used as a Raid Official also in The Raid de Himalaya. It was also a serious bit of equipment with tastefully done modifications that made his Thar truly a go anywhere vehicle.

Here are some Pics of Abhays Thar.
Our Modified Mahindra Bolero 4x4-abhay-thar-1.jpg
Our Modified Mahindra Bolero 4x4-abhay-thar-2.jpg
Our Modified Mahindra Bolero 4x4-abhay-thar-3.jpg
Our Modified Mahindra Bolero 4x4-abhay-thar-4.jpg

That is Abhay. Dont go by his serious looks. He is actually a very jovial and happy go lucky guy.
Our Modified Mahindra Bolero 4x4-abhay-thar-5.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by psurelia View Post
That's a super-hot machine you've created!! Great job and Congrats to both you and Performance Motors. If you don't mind me asking, then I would like to know the total dent on your pocket the project caused...
Thank you for your kind words psurelia! I cant give out the exact figure but I'm sure a small hatchback could have been purchased for the amount spent on modifications.

In the end its not about Money but about Passion i suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Where did you get them, and what is their cost please?Also, what is your opinion about their performance in spot and spread BTW: The best Bolero on TBHP, and the best I've ever seen..!!
Thank you so much for your kind words my old friend, good to hear from you again.

The FYRLYT Lights were sourced from Zorawar Singh of Performance Motors Mohali. The cost was INR 36,000/- for the set. These can be ordered online as well ofcourse.

In both SPOT and SPREAD modes there is enough light. Abhay usually keeps it in Spot mode because then the performance is second to none.

Next modifications in line are:
1) Scorpio Intercooler
2) Diff Locks
3) Coil springs.

Its truly deserving of the title "Monster Bolero" don't you think?
Manuuj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th October 2014, 15:17   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Thank you so much for your kind words my old friend, good to hear from you again.
Same here...!!
Well, this Bolero deserves them, truly..!!

Quote:
The FYRLYT Lights were sourced from Zorawar Singh of Performance Motors Mohali. The cost was INR 36,000/- for the set. These can be ordered online as well ofcourse.
It would be easier for me to order them online if possible.
Can you please help me by posting a url which enables me to order them?

Also, are replacement spares like bulbs, the front glass etc available for these lights?
Old 30th October 2014, 16:09   #24
BHPian

This is the website of the company: http://fyrlyt.com/home/4587111121

According to the website they offer all spares for their lights.

I think if you contact the company on the website they will let you know how to go about it.
Old 30th October 2014, 17:11   #25
BHPian

Great mods Manuuj.

But would like to add to what 4x4addict said that the bolero has always been a underpowered vehicle.

How would you be rating the bolero with regards to similar 4x4s like a gypsy,mm540s or thar.

Can one still have the same fun in mud like the other vehicles?
Old 30th October 2014, 17:23   #26
Senior - BHPian

Among the best modded Boleros seen till date and done quite tastefully.
I have the same old question: with the new turbo do you feel the vehicle is more or less ok for long highway drive? I 've seen another expedition Bolero as shown in the picture below and the biggest complaint was about this part.
Our Modified Mahindra Bolero 4x4-modded-bolero_2.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
You can try Mandeep Singh (renegade forum ID). He is based in Chandigarh and recently started a offroad accessory fabrication workshop.
Was about to mention that. Apart from indigenous looks, the materials, fabrication process and equipments used all are top of the line stuffs, hardly used by common fabricators.
Old 30th October 2014, 21:52   #27
BANNED

Quote:
I think if you contact the company on the website they will let you know how to go about it.
Tried that, no response yet.

Any other links that you know of?
Old 31st October 2014, 20:38   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here are some Pics of Abhays Thar.
Aren't those Tempo Traveller's ORVMs? Ingenious I would say. Suits the Thar so much! These always remind me of the full blown SUVs of the Obama land, glad to see it used on the Thar
Old 31st October 2014, 23:07   #29
BHPian

Manuuj,
Sorry for OT, but please also give us an update about your brothers CGT (if i remember correctly). Thanks.
Old 1st November 2014, 12:49   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Aren't those Tempo Traveller's ORVMs? Ingenious I would say. Suits the Thar so much!
Yes those are for Force Tempo Traveller. I first saw them in some THARs from Hyderabad and Mumbai. Looked a bit bigger at the first glance but overall suits very much and i am sure the utility also would be much better compared to the stock ones. However nothing beats the classic squarish CJ7 genre of mirros, the best for the JEEP .
Kandisa is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks