Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2010, 21:43   #166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma9292 View Post
Ya i agree with you sir . I just wanna know what are the advantages and disadvantages of a 5-speed conversion , thats all.
The basic advantage of a 5 forward gearbox will be better cruising on open roads which will translate in a better mileage. In short.

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 25th September 2010 at 21:45.
Old 26th September 2010, 00:32   #167
Senior - BHPian

Owing a 6 cylinder petrol and thinking about mileage is funny.

you might want to check this

G60 Engine Conversion - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Old 26th September 2010, 09:24   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
The basic advantage of a 5 forward gearbox will be better cruising on open roads which will translate in a better mileage. In short.
Oh ok thanks Fazal sir . one more question , would the conversion reduce or increase the offroad ability of the JONGA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Owing a 6 cylinder petrol and thinking about mileage is funny.
WHen you have a dream of owning a JONGA , thinking about the petrol prices and trying to make the JONGA more efficient(if possible not redducing the offroad ability) is quite practical and no where sounds funny to me Siralec
Old 26th September 2010, 14:04   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh ok thanks Fazal sir . one more question , would the conversion reduce or increase the offroad ability of the JONGA.
Depends which GB you are going in for.
An Isuzu Trooper 6 speed, 4WD which I planted in a MM550 in no way lost its offroading capability.
BA-10 4X4 too is quite a gearbox.
No idea what would best match your engine.
Old 26th September 2010, 23:12   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh ok thanks Fazal sir . one more question , would the conversion reduce or increase the offroad ability of the JONGA. WHen you have a dream of owning a JONGA , thinking about the petrol prices and trying to make the JONGA more efficient(if possible not redducing the offroad ability) is quite practical and no where sounds funny to me Siralec
Efficiency and Performance is two very distinct things which can never be meet simultaneously . If someone claims he has both he would be doing injustice to either features.

How much efficient can you make a 6 cylinder petrol motor with a big hollow carb that sprays petrols by liters ever 3 minutes.

I myself have tried odd and ends to do that and its not possible. I have added a ambassador carb on my Landrover as its mostly used as a daily drive. Offroad performance is very shitty but it give a mileage of 8-10kmpl.

During rainy season or any drive to extreme places i install the original Solex, then it gives 4kmpl.
Hence I felt it was funny. It was a personal experience and meant not to offend anybody.

PS: The link i have given above have people facing similar issues with adding extra gear to JOnga/Patrol

Last edited by SirAlec : 26th September 2010 at 23:14.
Old 26th September 2010, 23:25   #171
BHPian

Post deleted by Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Last edited by .anshuman : 27th September 2010 at 00:08. Reason: Please take a look at the mod note that has been added to the post.
Old 27th September 2010, 10:52   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Depends which GB you are going in for.
An Isuzu Trooper 6 speed, 4WD which I planted in a MM550 in no way lost its offroading capability.
BA-10 4X4 too is quite a gearbox.
No idea what would best match your engine.
Ok sir thank you . Sir i heard there are JONGAS in darjeeling are running Nissan RD28 in-line 6 diesel engines , would that GB of the RD28 match the JONGA. i'l keep in touch with you regarding the patrol because you are th3 right person

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Efficiency and Performance is two very distinct things which can never be meet simultaneously . If someone claims he has both he would be doing injustice to either features.

How much efficient can you make a 6 cylinder petrol motor with a big hollow carb that sprays petrols by liters ever 3 minutes.

I myself have tried odd and ends to do that and its not possible. I have added a ambassador carb on my Landrover as its mostly used as a daily drive. Offroad performance is very shitty but it give a mileage of 8-10kmpl.

During rainy season or any drive to extreme places i install the original Solex, then it gives 4kmpl.
Hence I felt it was funny. It was a personal experience and meant not to offend anybody.

PS: The link i have given above have people facing similar issues with adding extra gear to JOnga/Patrol
I totally agree with you , but then i do not know .There are examples where people have increased efficiency as well as power , One example is me , i own a HONDA city , with mods the power and efficiency increased compared to a stock City . So im just asking what would be the pros and cons . I know you did not offend but talking your exparience thats it

Last edited by karizma9292 : 27th September 2010 at 10:55.
Old 27th September 2010, 11:37   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Ok sir thank you . Sir i heard there are JONGAS in darjeeling are running Nissan RD28 in-line 6 diesel engines , would that GB of the RD28 match the JONGA. i'l keep in touch with you regarding the patrol because you are th3 right person

I totally agree with you , but then i do not know .There are examples where people have increased efficiency as well as power , One example is me , i own a HONDA city , with mods the power and efficiency increased compared to a stock City . So im just asking what would be the pros and cons . I know you did not offend but talking your exparience thats it

Please share details of these example that you have come across or are aware of.

Most of the RD28 powered Jonga's in the North East are lemons!! These Jongas are mainly used for taxi services and are 99.99% 2WD (RWD).

The 4lt HINO diesel motor is the best engine swap for the Jonga.. Period!

The easiest way to up the power and torque on the Jonga is to replace the carb and get a JDM spec Hitachi carb (from 110hp to 145hp and about a 10 - 20% increase in torque) - I am looking for one myself

Like Ram, SirAlec and Fazal said - the 3 speed is perfect for the P series motor and most importantly, performs the way it does because of this combination.

You might want to consider putting CNG if you really want to improve FE but that will only reduce or completely ruin the fun factor and capabilities of the Jonga.

Please do not compare apples to oranges for the sake of discussion.

cheers..
Old 27th September 2010, 12:24   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR View Post
Please share details of these example that you have come across or are aware of.

Most of the RD28 powered Jonga's in the North East are lemons!! These Jongas are mainly used for taxi services and are 99.99% 2WD (RWD).

The easiest way to up the power and torque on the Jonga is to replace the carb and get a JDM spec Hitachi carb (from 110hp to 145hp and about a 10 - 20% increase in torque) - I am looking for one myself

Like Ram, SirAlec and Fazal said - the 3 speed is perfect for the P series motor and most importantly, performs the way it does because of this
combination.

You might want to consider putting CNG if you really want to improve FE but that will only reduce or completely ruin the fun factor and capabilities of the Jonga.

cheers..
My city used to do a top speed of 160 in 4th gear and FE was 10kmpl , after adding a FFE and free flow airfilter and few minor mods my car touches 165 in 3rd and in 4th touches 190 and FE is now surprisingly gone up by 1kmpl . its minimal but then its an increase and not a decrease ..

The 4ltr HINO is good i have heard , sir you must understand from my previous posts that im not going to do such a mod , but then im just trying to gain knowledge of what would happen if such a conversion is done as it was idea by my bro . Even i promise that 3-speed is killer , from stop i can move in 3rd . Its not only FE im looking for , im interested in increasing the capability of cruising since my jonga will be used in highways.
Old 27th September 2010, 21:06   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR View Post

Like Ram, SirAlec and Fazal said - the 3 speed is perfect for the P series motor and most importantly, performs the way it does because of this combination.

cheers..
CNG is a big no no for such a wonderful engine.

JOnga found in NE are not JONGAS, they just look like one. The body is elongated like Jeepneys and the common engine used are TATA 1210 and Mazda's. We called them 'Kamaney Gadi' its a derogatorily term. If you go to DJ, don't use this term or you will definitely offend one or two .

here are some examples.

Nissan Jonga! Can I have some details about this monster truck?-dj-jonga.jpg

Nissan Jonga! Can I have some details about this monster truck?-dj-jonga1.jpg
Old 1st February 2011, 13:38   #176
BHPian

Re: JONGA !! Can i have some details about this monster truck

Any progress in project. We all are been waiting
Old 10th March 2012, 12:35   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggercool View Post
Any progress in project. We all are been waiting
I have shared some pictures of the Jonga that I recently restored in the tread "Finally I have my Jonga"
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...-my-jonga.html

Regards

Jaskirat
Old 14th February 2014, 17:35   #178
BHPian

What's the Kerb weight of a Jonga ? I cant seem to find any info on the army spec vehicles.

Some say 1576kg , some say 2540kgs , some say "chassis is 3 times heavier than 550 , balance i don't know "

regards
Arun.
Old 15th February 2014, 19:23   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
What's the Kerb weight of a Jonga ? I cant seem to find any info on the army spec vehicles.

Some say 1576kg , some say 2540kgs , some say "chassis is 3 times heavier than 550 , balance i don't know "

regards
Arun.
Prasad (R32GTR) and me had once put his jonga on a truck weighing scale for kicks. It was closer to two (definitely way more than 1.5) Will ping him to see if he remembers.
Old 18th February 2014, 14:48   #180
BHPian

Well, it is heavier than a MM540, but still a tad bit lighter than the Bolero chassis MM550...

1962 Nissan Patrol weight specs are:-

Weight Vehicle ( unloaded ) - 1565 kgs
Max weight distribution
Front - 825 kgs
Rear - 740 kgs

Max Weight ( with payload ) - 2075 kgs
Max payload - 400 kgs
Max weight distribution
Front - 845 kgs
Rear - 1230 kgs

Weight of Bare Chassis - 1310 kgs
Weight distribution