Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2014, 23:02   #301
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Sumo four-wheel-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
I'm glad BD sir is working on the Sumo
Are you sure about that? Has he confirmed? Or we are going too far ahead interpreting the single "smiley".
Old 28th February 2014, 08:22   #302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
One improvement that I'd like to see in Sumo is larger doors with reduced area between C and D pillars. Also, the door handles should be pull back type rather than pull up type. To make Sumo 4X4 seriously powerful, TM should also offer (as an option) the new generation 3 litre 16 valve 138 BHP Dicor engine developed for the Ultra range.
I don't think body mods would be required, as it would end up escalating costs. I am 6'2" and have had a Sumo for 1.65L kms. Don't remember ever having issues with ingress or egress. Can't say that about the Bolero though. The NA engine that we had was the 1947cc with 68BHP and it was enough for the highway. Decent mileage too. The uptuned version of the 3.0L produces 115BHP, which I think would be more than enough. I have heard that the 3.0L can actually produce up to 150BHP! But then our country's adage 'Kitna dethi hai' would go for a toss, isn't it?
Old 28th February 2014, 09:05   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
I don't think body mods would be required, as it would end up escalating costs. I am 6'2" and have had a Sumo for 1.65L kms. Don't remember ever having issues with ingress or egress.
In the higher end versions of Gold, the rear seat is shifted to the rear to provide more legroom and there is a visible mismatch between the rear door opening and rear seat. A larger door would resolve the issue.

Quote:
The NA engine that we had was the 1947cc with 68BHP
It's 1948 CC actually.

Quote:
The uptuned version of the 3.0L produces 115BHP, which I think would be more than enough.
The 115 HP version is BS-III compliant only. To make it BS-IV compliant, they had to sacrifise power, due to design limitations. BS-IV version develops 85 HP.
Old 2nd March 2014, 09:27   #304
Senior - BHPian

Why TATA is selling Two Sumo and Two Safari models side by side and still not setting the sales charts on fire?

I would prefer the Old boxy Sumo over the Grande, but with Grande's (Safari Dicor engine).
Old 2nd March 2014, 15:53   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
They are Maxxis MudZilla 31x11x15
Great detail you have furnished. This would mean that 15 inches wheel rim will be continued. But the tyre diameter of 27.7 inches (of Sumo gold ) will be increased to 31 inches for Sumo 4X4

Last edited by koushik : 2nd March 2014 at 16:18. Reason: furnishing aditional detail
Old 14th March 2014, 16:25   #306
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Sumo should get all round cladding like Safari, different bumper design and some cosmetic changes.
change it like Zest/Bolt and rename it & release in basic version to top end both in 4x2 and 4x4
Old 14th May 2014, 12:51   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Wanna make a bet on it
Seriously. I very much doubt Tata is interested in this vehicle. They just wanted some mean looking show cars.
The Tata focus is currently on the sedan/hatch.
In the SUV pipeling, Mahindra has Ssangyong, so it can show some concepts and pipeline vehicles.
So whats in Tata pipeline in SUV space?
Lets see.
Aria Successor... NADA
Storme ... 2 year old wine, so NADA

So what can Tata do? Just showcase old stuff, or slap on some body modifications.
This is what they chose. Bring the footfalls.
Tata is not the only one.

Toyota has nothing in small SUV space. So they put a cycle on Etios and called it SUV.
Fiat has nothing , they put a cycle and called Punto a SUV
Tata has nothing new, so put on some blue tints on Storme with funky lights and tires, and put some cladding on their Sumo and fit in auto locking hubs...

Heck, none of the spotters have even spotted test mules of 4WD sumo. If tata has to sell it it has to go to ARAI. Right?

We even see Quanto 4WD(export market only though) mules testing. Storme mules were testing and at ARAI.

So in the next one year or so, logic dictates, that Tata is not going to sell sumo 4x4 in any avatar because they haven't even sent it to ARAI for CMVR approval.

The day I see test mule spyshots, I will believe.
If everything shown at Expos made into production, you and me would be going to office in a flying car!
You are absolutely right. Sumo Extreme will not go with 4X4 . In the official website of Tata Motors the Sumo Extreme specifications reveal that it has only rear wheel drive system!
Old 24th May 2014, 09:12   #308
Senior - BHPian

Just FYI:

I wandered aimlessly into the Sumo showroom here in Manali a couple days ago, and seeing the Sumo Gold, and on a whim asked whether there was a 4x4 option. Salesman immediately told me it's available, 7.42lakh, one month delivery, 3.0DI 85bhp engine.

Vs. the Victa (as earlier shown in this thread), not finding anything about a 4x4 on Tata's current Sumo website (which is fantastic) nor in the owner's manual. Just weird.

Only real competition for a 4x4 Sumo would be the Bolero, and for anyone but a hard-core offroader, it seems the Sumo would really be the better vehicle for daily use (ride quality, interior space, power, highway prowess). How it is that M&M has been selling a quite a lot of Bolero 4x4's and Tata doesn't even seem to be really trying, is really pretty perplexing to me.

I'll admit that practically speaking, parts supply would probably be problematic as the vehicle aged... unless most of the mechanicals are shared with the Safari.

-Eric
ringoism is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2014, 12:41   #309
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
.. it seems the Sumo would really be the better vehicle for daily use (ride quality, interior space, power, highway prowess).

I'll admit that practically speaking, parts supply would probably be problematic as the vehicle aged... unless most of the mechanicals are shared with the Safari.
@Eric, I have used the Sumo Victa for 7 years, and have been very happy with it - esp for city use. Regarding parts, the 3.0L engine shares parts with the 207 Di. The rest of the vehicle will share parts with the Sumo. The only unique part about this vehicle is the chassis, which is 4x4 specific.

Hence I dont see a problem about parts.

(Coincidentally, even the Storme & Safari seem to have slightly diff chassis for the 4x4 versions)
Old 24th May 2014, 13:16   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
..I wandered aimlessly into the Sumo showroom here in Manali a couple days ago, and seeing the Sumo Gold, and on a whim asked whether there was a 4x4 option. Salesman immediately told me it's available, 7.42lakh, one month delivery, 3.0DI 85bhp engine.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
...@Eric, I have used the Sumo Victa for 7 years, and have been very happy with it - esp for city use.
Just to clear my confusion, is this the model which is being talked about: http://www.carkhabri.com/overview/ta...ta-4x4-economy
Also referring to a previous post, is this the 4th model from the top?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...ml#post2601362
Old 24th May 2014, 13:26   #311
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, Kandisa - these look to be the same.

Many years ago, the 4x4 Victa was available with the 2.0L TCIC IDI engine. TML stopped that version, before they got the 4x4 with the 3.0L engine.
Old 24th May 2014, 14:35   #312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Yes, Kandisa - these look to be the same.
Many years ago, the 4x4 Victa was available with the 2.0L TCIC IDI engine. TML stopped that version, before they got the 4x4 with the 3.0L engine.
Okk. I am attaching the broad specs of both the Economy as well as the TC model as seen in that website and it looks like the difference between the two models are: front & rear power window, remote boot opener (unlocking the rear door?) & CD player. So even the economy model also has/had AC & PS.
Name:  Victa 4x4 Economy.png
Views: 4966
Size:  24.1 KB

Name:  Victa 4x4 TC.png
Views: 4137
Size:  22.1 KB

If these are true, it gets me thinking the Victa 4x4 TC actually has/had almost all the creature comforts and overall a very nice package in a very lucrative price bracket!
@Eric, can you comment/confirm whether the model the salesman told you is this 'Victa 4x4 TC' model?
Old 24th May 2014, 16:49   #313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just FYI:

I wandered aimlessly into the Sumo showroom here in Manali a couple days ago, and seeing the Sumo Gold, and on a whim asked whether there was a 4x4 option. Salesman immediately told me it's available, 7.42lakh, one month delivery, 3.0DI 85bhp engine.
If I'm not mistaken, it is the CR4 version of 3L that develops 85 BHP. The DI version developed only 70, unless the specs have been changed recently.
Old 24th May 2014, 18:22   #314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
If I'm not mistaken, it is the CR4 version of 3L that develops 85 BHP. The DI version developed only 70, unless the specs have been changed recently.
Actually i am not able to find out anything on the net which tells about a 4x4 version in the 85 bhp category. Even in the sumo gold thread, a post was made last year on the prices of various models (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3178885)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
heres a list of all variants available,including the 4wd!

SUMO GOLD CR4

cx 7/9 BS4 - 610813
lx 7/9 BS4 - 648113
ex 7/9 BS4 - 681822
gx 7/9 BS4 - 753853

SPACIO

spacio 6/9 BS3 -569073

SUMO

sumo 4x4 TC BS3 -840233

AMBULANCE

sumo ambulance BS3 -588696

The numbers following the models are seating options.
These prices are ex-showroom Ludhiana.

There is an additional 8000 charge as "logistic charges"
But it is not clear whether the 4x4 TC model is the 85 bhp variant.
Old 25th May 2014, 16:01   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Actually i am not able to find out anything on the net which tells about a 4x4 version in the 85 bhp category. Even in the sumo gold thread, a post was made last year on the prices of various models (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3178885)

But it is not clear whether the 4x4 TC model is the 85 bhp variant.
If my memory serves me correctly, it's the 2.0 l turbo engine used in the entry level sumo grande mk2

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks