Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2009, 19:42   #61
BHPian

The wheels have come out nice. I can see you have re-enforced them with 5 L-shaped strips of metal, so i don't think they can be as dangerous as people think them to be. Yes, its true that it would affect your wheel balance to quite an extent, but you are useing heavy mud terrians, which in any case are hard to balance themselves, even if you get the best available wheels. And anyways, you would'nt lose much tire life either, because these tires are'nt renowned for much life eithee, the last person i saw these tires with(i think he was from hisar), lost more than half the thread in just 10,000 kms in his 540(thought he may have had other issues).

Before custom wheel shops were set in the U.S., most off-roader used to do just this, except that they would take a rim(usually a 6-7" wide one), but they would'nt cut it from anywhere. What they would do instead is that they would take 2 flat rings, both about an inch thick, and on both of them they would drill some evenly spaced holes(anywhere between 16-28 holes, the more the better). On one of them the would make grooves though the holes to hold a normal tapered 12-14 size bolt, while the other just had the holes widened enought to pass the bolt through it. Then they would weld the ring with the grooves to the outer lip of the rim, and as for the width, you take in an inch saved from the rim lip, and another from the ring, so effectively gaining 2 inches of width without cutting the ring. The tire bead would mount(on the outer side of the rim) outside the welded ring, in such a way the the other ring can be placed over it and bolted, with the bead secured within both the rings, and voila, you now have a home made beadlock wheel (very effective even though they are locked only on the outer side. Even the majority of commercially available beadlocks are bolted on the outer side). The final product looks something like this
From a mm540 to a wicked offroader.(the build is on).-p1010071-small37tires-m38a1.jpg
So now, even if you deflate the tires for maximum traction, the tires still would'nt come off the wheels.
Nice looking jeep and happy off-roading
Old 29th March 2009, 21:48   #62
BHPian

@ whicked wheels - Your jeep has come out really nice. The matt black paint and snorkel look great. Snorkel looks like a full professional job. Nothing home made about it. The only thing I don't like on you ride are the rear fenders. They don't look as polished as the rest of the jeep.

cheers
vishwas

p.s. I also dont agree with modding rims. Dude you must have spent some good ~8000 on those wheels per piece. Get yourself some good alloys to complement them. One can never be sure about the quality of welding done. Not even the welder himself.
Old 29th March 2009, 22:29   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwaschettri View Post
@ whicked wheels - Your jeep has come out really nice. The matt black paint and snorkel look great. Snorkel looks like a full professional job. Nothing home made about it. The only thing I don't like on you ride are the rear fenders.

p.s. I also dont agree with modding rims. Dude you must have spent some good ~8000 on those wheels per piece. Get yourself some good alloys to complement them. One can never be sure about the quality of welding done. Not even the welder himself.
Thanks man, the wheels did not cost me that much to make it just cost me around a rs1000 each. The tube fenders i made my self it was my first try so some of the dimensions are not so accurate. Make it better the next time.
Old 29th March 2009, 23:10   #64
BHPian

Sorry my bad. I meant 8000 per piece on those tires. They sure deserve better wheels. Keep this as a temporary setup and when the finances permit upgrade to some nice alloys. Chrome alloys will go well with your ride.

cheers
vishwas
Old 30th March 2009, 01:33   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whicked wheels View Post
Here are some photos of the jeep topless and also the close ups of the wheels. Some photos of the home made snorkle.
This is the best modified Mahindra I've seen on this forum so far. Well done! The color choice is excellent.

Heey, wait a minute... I have tail lights just like yours on my CJ 4
Old 2nd April 2009, 22:03   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwaschettri View Post
Sorry my bad. I meant 8000 per piece on those tires. They sure deserve better wheels. Keep this as a temporary setup and when the finances permit upgrade to some nice alloys. Chrome alloys will go well with your ride.

cheers
vishwas
Hi going to do the same thing i am looking for some 10j 15" alloys. they are pretty hard to find and some who have them are asking about 30 to 50 thousand for a set of second hand ones.
Old 2nd April 2009, 23:29   #67
Senior - BHPian

nice to see the final avatar of the jeep and i must say that it shows a strong charactor of the MM jeep!

i think the wheels are fit inside out on the axle, wont that be a problem?
Old 3rd April 2009, 14:09   #68
Senior - BHPian

hi
whicked wheels,

nice work !!

will look good with more track width (can use wheel spacers).

& more information on snorkel .
Old 3rd April 2009, 14:27   #69
BANNED

Change those rims before you go for any serious offroad. Somehow they dont look well engineered.
Old 3rd April 2009, 19:24   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Change those rims before you go for any serious offroad. Somehow they dont look well engineered.
I have tried the wheels on rocks and done some serious offroading they have kept up well.
Old 7th April 2009, 15:54   #71
BHPian

The best snorkel I have even seen on a MM540.

Can you pls advice how much did this cost to you.
Old 7th April 2009, 18:14   #72
Senior - BHPian

Good body and paint job, rims take away marks from your well done jeep, top does not compliment the rest of the Jeep, rear end too bland.
Overall a bold attempt and a very well done specimen.
After doing so much, Why didn't you go for 16" wheels?

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 7th April 2009 at 18:16.
Old 8th April 2009, 21:40   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
The best snorkel I have even seen on a MM540.

Can you pls advice how much did this cost to you.
THanks deasertking it cost me Rs 500 to make. THe top part of the snorkle is of cielo air in take which i had to cut and bend and the rest is but ofcourse pvc pipe covered in perforated sheet.
Old 8th April 2009, 21:44   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Good body and paint job, rims take away marks from your well done jeep, top does not compliment the rest of the Jeep, rear end too bland.
Overall a bold attempt and a very well done specimen.
After doing so much, Why didn't you go for 16" wheels?
I wanted to fit mudzilla's so i had to stick to 15", ill be getting my alloys in a weeks time.
Old 14th April 2009, 19:13   #75
BHPian

Hi guys need some advice, Thinking of selling of the jeep since i got a offer for it,as i am trying to pick up the Armada 4wd and also a willys cj3 4wd which i have just seen. Cant decide what to do. as you know FUNDS is always the issue.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks