Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2024, 20:04   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny: Service centre delivered my car with 4x4 engaged

I would take it to a trusted INDEPENDENT mechanic and have him take a look at the tranny gear oil. I have personally seen transmissions literally cook and carbonize their gear oil from running so hot in this scenario. Hopefully the mech will find nothing amiss and you will be okay. But the tranny is most likely the component taking the beating in this situation.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 8th June 2024 at 20:05.
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2024, 09:49   #17
BHPian

6 kms in 4x4 would not harm. Specially after service. If they have checked the tire pressure.

If tire pressure is same in all tires, there is no reason to worry.

Having said that I would also like to add an advise i.e. Jimmy is not a vehicle which can be driven by any Tom, Dick and Harry. In my 14 years of ownership of Gypsy, I have never allowed any service guy to drive my car unless I am sitting in the car.

And you can't even lend it to a friend also. My fellow offroader had sign on dashboard 'Do not engage 4X4'. Just in case. But that also did not work. Actually everybody is just so curious about 4x4 just because it is a unique feature. And they may use it. And you will end up paying the bills.

Your 4x4 is like a baby. Only a trained person can drive it. And by trained person, I mean a person who has owned a 4X4 himself and has got his 4x4 drive train repaired. ��

Only a driver who has first spent endless time in repair shop identifying the problem, ( read months) and than huge sums in repair bills can understand this rule.

4H or 4 L. There is not much difference except the top speed. Damage to the transmission on tarmac will be same.

4x4 is only for OFFROAD. Offroad means when you off the tarmac. And your wheels are slipping. Both the conditions have to be met before using 4x4.

The reason for this takes some time to understand unless you are not an automotive engineer. So please take some time to understand differentials, transfer case, etc. before you let anybody drive your car. And when you actually understand all the stuff you will appreciate the golden rule of owning a 4x4.

Never let anybody drive your 4x4. No company guy, no valet, no friend and no relative. Not even your son.

Unless you have loads of money and can afford to discard a vehicle like tissue paper. Because the damage to the transmission is at multiple levels. Not just one component. The whole drive train goes for a toss. And replacing the vehicle is easier than fixing the drivetrain which essentially is the soul of a 4x4 vehicle.

Last edited by wanderhermit : 9th June 2024 at 09:58.
wanderhermit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2024, 11:49   #18
BHPian

UPDATE
The vehicle was inspected by Mahalaxmi Automotive technicians with naked eyes, and diagnostics were performed via the OBDII port.

I was allowed to stand there and film videos, and I noticed that they were jacking up the truck with radius arm brackets. I don't think they should put Jack there. This definitely indicates that MS Arena workers require additional training to manage Jimnys.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/zdrntbBnAa4CADbE8
Maruti Jimny: Service centre delivered my car with 4x4 engaged-radius_jack.jpg
Please correct me, if I am wrong.

Following analysis, they deemed the car roadworthy and pledged to service it in accordance with conventional warranty terms and conditions.

I refused their solution, claiming that these methods cannot analyze interior components such as differentials, prop shafts, UJ crosses, or axles, where damage could occur. As a result, the current findings do not give a full assessment of the drivetrain's long-term health.

I've also expressed concern about jacking up autos using radius arm mounts.

Because the regular warranty does not cover the drivetrain/transmission, I have strongly requested an exclusive warranty on the aforementioned for the following 12 months.
dicor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2024, 15:37   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicor View Post
...could you advise what specific checks I should request regarding potential 4WD system damage caused by driving in 4H on the pavement?
Goto a local maruti mechanic, change the front diff, rear diff and Tcase oil per the owner manual.

Just out of curiosity, directly collect the front and rear diff oil into 2 separate 2ltr clear soft drink PET bottles and later sieve them through a thick tissue paper or a linen cloth and check for shiny residue, should not be any.
svsantosh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2024, 21:56   #20
BHPian

Final update
The authorized service centre emailed me stating they will cover the transmission, drive train, differentials, and axle under standard warranty. Because the regular warranty terms and conditions make no mention of these, I requested that they provide them by email.

I have also taken it in writing that the authorized service centre will guarantee that workers have sufficient training before handling any other Jimny, and they must provide documentation of this; otherwise, I will raise awareness in the public that customers should avoid this specific service centre.

Thank you to some gurus for offering various ideas. Very much appreciated.

I'm not comfortable taking my 6-month-old Jimny in for surgery (read: differential/transmission oil change). Even local technicians have no exposure to Jimny, so they may cause more harm than help.

Post Script: It is often tough to locate reliable local mechanics. There are aficionados who have created garages with significant expenditures and know a lot about cars, but the ground force is never aligned with the owners' mission and vision.

I witnessed it firsthand when I was at the local BOSCH workshop for a XUV5OO check-up, and the mechanic wiped the engine oil dipstick with a piece of paper laying on the ground.

An engineering degree and a management degree are two different things I guess.

Thank you again to everyone for your kind advices and contributions. Team-BHP rocks.
dicor is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 11th June 2024, 11:40   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
An engineering degree and a management degree are two different things I guess.
Bet both the mechanics at MASS and BOSCH are ITI-fitters at most. Wonder which one was DME/BE and which was BBA/MBA... anyways. I digress.

On a serious note, time to invest in a set of FWHs.
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2024, 20:59   #22
BHPian

Nothing new, dicor Whenever I gave my Gypsy 2011 for service to the dealer's workshop, I used to find the 4WD light on when driving away ! Most mechanics do not know what the extra gear lever is for, and fiddle with it while servicing. No harm.
Later I started going to a lower category service centre where they knew what four wheel drive meant, and could keep their fingers away from the transfer lever.

Many years ago I had to drive my Nissan Jonga in 4WD for more than twenty kilometers. I was driving down a narrow village road in blinding rain, and decided to turn back. To do that I had to leave the tarmac and get onto a muddy field where my vehicle got stuck. So 4X4 had to be engaged, but could not be disengaged ( I still had not mastered the technique of going a few feet in reverse to do that in such circumstances ). So I drove back in 4WD all the way, and the lever could be moved only when the engine was shut off !

That Jonga is still fine with no damage or repairs to the gear/transfer cases.
SnakemanJohny is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 13:27   #23
BHPian

Driving a few kms on 4H makes no difference. Driving in 4L on tarmac makes a huge difference. There are cars that have 4H systems working at all times (Ford Endevour 3.2).

Some systems can say do not engage 4H system for higher speeds (depends on the manufacturer) But engaging 4L and driving the vehicle on tarmac (especially with turns) can cause serious damage. In a straight line driving 4L on tarmac should also be fine but drive turns in 4L on tarmac and there can be serious damage.

So, to my knowledge, driving in 4H should be no bother.

Each and every time I give my Ford Endevour for service I check what they are doing (if they are driving it out post service). At Ford they have not made the mistake of changing into 4L and taking a jolly ride. I also don't give my car for valet at hotels. Rather, I park myself.

Modern cars have complex 4x4 systems and once a damage is done, to bring the vehicle back to regular life is a tedious, labour intensive and above all capital intensive process.

I have also had the good fortune of driving vintage Willy Jeeps (even Ford GPW) and engaged their 4x4 system. They too mention the same - 4H can go upto a normal speed, 4L not on tarmac.

My Ford Endevour has tarmac control as well as sand, snow, mud, rock modes. It is an all time 4H - yes it is always using 4H and one can use 4L (and there are diff locks also) as and when situation demands. I have used 4L on snow in winter Spiti dozens of times and in Ladakh as well.

Most Indian Army vehicles have a perpetual 4H engaged and it is within a speed limit (mostly 40 or tops 60). No issues for the most part.

So, in my understanding, engaging a Jimny system in 4H on tarmac and driving upto the speed approved by the manufacturer should be fine/no issues. However, if the service chaps have driven it at high speeds and over what the manufacturer says is fine then there could potentially be an area of concern.

Happy to have more discussion on this.

Kind regards
Arpit
Rajain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 22:02   #24
BHPian

Even if it doesn't matter to drive on road with 4H, maruti manual says not to engage so keep that in mind and make sure you raise the same with Maruti so this gets documented. Also ask for atleast 5,000 kms/6 months assurance in written over an email from your service center keeping Maruti in loop for 4x4 system and related parts.
LokiPilaniya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2024, 07:51   #25
BHPian

Had you given the Jimny to them for home pick-up and drop when this happened? Or did they drive during service checkup ?
Burgman_tales is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2024, 09:57   #26
BHPian

Quote:
UPDATE

I was allowed to stand there and film videos, and I noticed that they were jacking up the truck with radius arm brackets. I don't think they should put Jack there. This definitely indicates that MS Arena workers require additional training to manage Jimnys.

Please correct me, if I am wrong.

I've also expressed concern about jacking up autos using radius arm mounts.
Well, the radial arm mount can surely be used as jacking point. Please see the Emergency Service section of the owner manual in page 10-6.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny: Service centre delivered my car with 4x4 engaged-screenshot_20240717095105.png  

sadnabrina is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks