Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2012, 20:08   #16
BHPian

Re: Easy, Fun, Cheap & Creative Mods for 4x4 vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
^^^ GTO - I thought Walky Talkies are not legal in India, to use without a license. Am I off the mark here?
You are right, using Walkie-talkies are illegal. Doubt if they provide a license for it.

But like any rule, we can see them being flouted as they are sold openly at most gizmo shops.
Old 24th May 2012, 21:08   #17
BANNED

Check this out , specially the 2nd & 3rd pic in the post , for the Cargo hold net

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...ml#post1978555

Sudarshan
Old 24th May 2012, 21:26   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA18 View Post
You are right, using Walkie-talkies are illegal. Doubt if they provide a license for it.

But like any rule, we can see them being flouted as they are sold openly at most gizmo shops.
CB radio frequency is not illegal if under the 4 watt range. Am sure the one in the pic is within limit. So relax it aint illegal.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2012, 17:12   #19
BHPian

If you have a HAM radio licence, you get to operate a walkie-talkie i suppose. Classes in bengaluru do get conducted for HAM radio, not aware for other parts in the country.

Andy
Old 25th May 2012, 17:41   #20
Team-BHP Support

You DONT need HAM radio licence for CB radio, HAM works on a very different frequency range.

Please check this link to understand more and discuss on the same http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ble-india.html
Old 26th May 2012, 13:28   #21
BHPian

Anyone thought of bolting on a shovel or a jerry can to their jeeps??
They can be painted black and bolted on with clamps to the sides and back of the jeep.
Would look awesome.
Got this idea from an old 1942 ford 4x4 that my father owned.
Old 26th May 2012, 22:23   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmunster View Post
Anyone thought of bolting on a shovel or a jerry can to their jeeps??
They can be painted black and bolted on with clamps to the sides and back of the jeep.
Would look awesome.
Jerry cans, Yes, they have so much practical value, but shovels?

Pardon me for saying so. Only POSERS would do such sort. We are practical off roaders and such show does'n't befit our jeeps. Many jeeps that I have seen with these stuff are not just bolted, they are welded in place

Maybe for the fear of getting stolen. And what with modern recovery equipments like winches, hilift jack, not seen anybody lately using shovels etc. Maybe still getting used some where.

Regards
Andy
Old 27th May 2012, 07:29   #23
Senior - BHPian

This thought came to me just now, after a little incident yesterday.

On the way to a mini otr, a friend's 540 lost nearly all oil thru the oil pressure (on dash) hose. The hose gave away (thanks to a old brittle crack) just next to the oil filter (inside the hood) so it went unnoticed. Thankfully before much damage another driver on the road shouted out to pull over and check the mess he noticed while overtaking.

After pulling over the engine slowly died (fearing the worst). Some oil was arranged and after cooling off the engine started and reached my mechanics place and as of now no major damage reported but I am afraid the ball has been set rolling, in a few months the rebuild is due.

-------------------MOD---------------

My idea is 2 prong - simple one and stupid one!

1) Simple - Get a 'BEEEEEEP' buzzer (the ones 2 wheelers use for turn indicators) and connect it to the In-DASH light bulb that glows when oil pressure is LOW/Zero. Note - this will not work until the pressure comes all the way down to zero. So still not a perfect idea.

2) Stupid - unncessary but paranoid idea is to get rid of the hose and (a) either seal off the oil hose outlet below the oil filter with a stop nut (b) get a 2-3 inch metal pipe direct link to the outlet and position the gauge inside the hood right next to the engine. ---------- Any of this steps will make you RELY only on the Warning LIGHT on the dash (coupled with a buzzer) with no visual reference of the actual pressure. Like a modern car! -------- IIRC, the last generation of MM Major 4WD came with a 3inch by 2inch In-Dash array-of-warning lights and no major gauges like the old jeeps. This should have incorporated the (2) idea...

PS - This hose issue occured to another friend some time in 2011.
Old 27th May 2012, 07:51   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmunster View Post
===
Would look awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace View Post

Pardon me for saying so. Only POSERS would do such sort. We are practical off roaders and such show does'n't befit our jeeps. Many jeeps that I have seen with these stuff are not just bolted, they are welded in place

Maybe for the fear of getting stolen. And what with modern recovery equipments like winches, hilift jack, not seen anybody lately using shovels etc. Maybe still getting used some where.
Something called as Pioneer Tools (try Google 'Image search' ) a few links as samples .( interested people can find more )

Military Vehicle Pioneer Tools

G503.com Message Forums • View topic - CJ pioneer tools

& just copy pasting a para regarding this discussion

Quote:
The tool sets vary a little, but the idea is the same. The vehicle crew has to be ready to create a path through downed trees or other barriers, fill holes, dig the vehicle out, or assist others in similar tasks. The pioneer tools are provided for such purposes and their readiness condition is part of the vehicle inspection.
'We' probably are not doing it hard enough to use such things

Will find more on this

Sudarshan

P.S. @ S V -- check this , third pic in the post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...ml#post2070399

Last edited by Sudarshan : 27th May 2012 at 07:57.
Sudarshan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2012, 12:09   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Jerry cans, Yes, they have so much practical value, but shovels?

Pardon me for saying so. Only POSERS would do such sort.
Beg to differ. Shovels have got us out on many an occasion when we were stuck in slush! ASk MP Sreenivasan when three jeeps of the recce team got stuck in examm 1 and had to call for help from the blr jeepers. Thankfully we dug ourselves out and got saved from being saved by the BLR jeepers. Otherwise we would still be hearing about it from them! Was a good night that one!

Yes, my shovel was clamped behind the spare tyre and was barely seen, but was used a lot.
Old 27th May 2012, 12:55   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Beg to differ.
Tejas,
I did not mean that they are completely useless. I carry a pick axe, long handle shovel and store it inside the jeep.

95% of jeeps who have these tools bolted/welded to their sides,fender or mounted in front of the windshield is only for the show. The intentions are good but real use? anybody's guess.

Regards
Andy

Last edited by Grace : 27th May 2012 at 12:56.
Grace is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2012, 13:27   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Tejas,
I did not mean that they are completely useless. I carry a pick axe, long handle shovel and store it inside the jeep.

95% of jeeps who have these tools bolted/welded to their sides,fender or mounted in front of the windshield is only for the show. The intentions are good but real use? anybody's guess.

Regards
Andy
Dear Andy,

Yes, 95% will not use. You said ONLY POSERS therefore i clarified. No harm no foul!

See you and mallu soon for MCUBE 2012!

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 27th May 2012 at 13:28.
Old 27th May 2012, 13:31   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
This thought came to me just now, after a little incident yesterday.

PS - This hose issue occured to another friend some time in 2011.
Santosh MM 550 comes with electronic oil pressure meter, its simple to fix it, no oil spillage in cabin, but still you can see the pressure in your meter. removing are disconnecting the meter is not a good idea.
Old 27th May 2012, 14:56   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swastikviji View Post
Santosh MM 550 comes with electronic oil pressure meter, its simple to fix it, no oil spillage in cabin, but still you can see the pressure in your meter. removing are disconnecting the meter is not a good idea.
Agree with Viji, that is a vital component to get rid off. My 550 has an electronic sensor as viji told. You can use the same sensor unit fixed in your Armada. They are same. Apart from this, you can use a low oil indicator which is again used in MM550 (A red Light). When turn on your ignition, it will glow (Self test). It goes off when you accelerate due to oil pressure. This is even reliable than Oil Pressure gauge.

Thanks
--Sree--
Old 27th May 2012, 16:07   #30
Senior - BHPian

Swastik, Sreeraj,

yes - am living with XDP4.90 and XD3P, I have seen the on-board oil pressure sensor on the XD3P and like that electronic unit. I was bringing up a cheap AS-IS condition mod on a XDP4.90 without spending a lot of time and money on the electronic unit/display.

Most Viewed