Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2024, 01:25   #1

Bought a Mahindra MM440 off Craigslist in Texas

Hello everyone,

My name is Jon. I posted in the Introduce Yourself section, and it was suggested that I start a thread about my new to me Mahindra MM440P.

My wife and I recently went and looked at a strange vehicle I found on Craigslist.

looking at the pictures, only 2, it is a Jeep. Looking at it in person, it's sorta a Jeep. Reading about it, makes it even more confusing.

I have learned a good bit about Mahindra built Jeeps, in the last Month, (Much of it gleaned from this fine website) but I still have a few questions.

I suppose to me, the most important of those questions is

1) How does one determine what year model it is?

It has Model and Serial numbers, but I have been unable to find an information source to decode them. The vehicle did not come with a title, I’m not sure it has ever been licensed or titled here in the states.

2) Service information, is/are there Service Manuals either to purchase or to download?

Mechanically, it is a pretty simple and straightforward machine. It seems to be predominantly Jeep, with just a few body changes, and the electrical system seems to be Mahindra.

3) Parts, is there a aftermarket parts stream for these vehicles? I have been able to find most of the engine and driveline components online, referencing either CJ3B, or CJ5. What about Body panels? Are the fenders and hood Jeep pieces, or were they subtlety changed by Mahindra?

Currently the 440 is not running. I have managed to get the ignition fire, (a Lucas 25D unit) and I purchased a new battery for it. The Carburetor was supposedly recently rebuilt. It turns over well, and seems to have compression. But will not pop or spit of anything. Removing the plugs and doing a proper compression test on it is next.

I going to include some pictures, if anyone has a specific picture request, please just ask.

Here are the numbers for the plate on the dash in front of the steering wheel.

MODEL MM-440P-4WD
CHASSIS NO PN-05539
ENGINE NO PN-05539
SERIAL NO 386861

I would appreciate any guidance the fine folks here may be able to provide.

I'm not a Jeep Guy, (although, I may become one). The wife and I recently purchased some property, and she has been after me to get a UTV, or a Gator, or something along those lines. I'm hoping to use this instead.

Bought a Mahindra MM440 off Craigslist in Texas-img_3048.jpg

Bought a Mahindra MM440 off Craigslist in Texas-img_0368.jpg

Bought a Mahindra MM440 off Craigslist in Texas-img_3049.jpg

Bought a Mahindra MM440 off Craigslist in Texas-img_3037.jpg

Bought a Mahindra MM440 off Craigslist in Texas-img_3050.jpg

Bought a Mahindra MM440 off Craigslist in Texas-img_3063.jpg

Last edited by benbsb29 : 25th July 2024 at 10:01. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line+ corrected orientation
JonTDawe is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 26th July 2024, 09:57   #2
BHPian

Re: Bought a Mahindra MM440 off Craigslist in Texas

Welcome to Team-Bhp. Happy Motoring.

Congratulations on your MM440P, it was the petrol version of the MM540, the iconic "Jeep" from the Mahindra stable. The production of the MM440P started in 1985 and did not last long as people did not prefer the petrol version. So your Jeep should be somewhere between 1985 or 1986.
.HEM is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 26th July 2024, 11:57   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Someone has taken care of it well at some point of time, looks like they have resprayed the interior with a Line-X type material.

One place to start looking for parts is - Roxor, the first version that came to the states.

And I found this owners manual type document in Scribd, its for MM540 but I guess other than the engine , the remaining bits should be similar to this.

Link

In any case, it looks like its destined to live long and then off to the next custodian.
Kosfactor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2024, 18:35   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by .HEM View Post
Welcome to Team-Bhp. Happy Motoring.
Thank you for the Welcome, and for the information.

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Someone has taken care of it well at some point of time, looks like they have resprayed the interior with a Line-X type material.
Yes, someone tried to protect the inside. If only they had thought as much of the outside. It has very few straight panels. I think each corner has been bumped or worse at some point. It looks like someone used it to learn how to back a trailer, both sides of the rear bumper are bashed in. The hood, I'm sure was a optional part, the "Enhanced Cooling Version" possibly, it has so many rust holes in it, one could read the service manual through it. Surprisingly, that is the only serious rust on it.

I will investigate Roxor.

Thank you for the Owners Manual Scan! That book has led a hard life.

I hope to make it run, and then putter around in the country with it.

Jon

Last edited by vb-saan : 26th July 2024 at 19:48. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another. Thank you!
JonTDawe is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th July 2024, 19:24   #5
BHPian

Looks pretty good considering its age. Spare parts should be easily available, worst case you will be able to find it online. The restoration should be staightforward.
Old 26th July 2024, 22:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

Couldn't be of help but I am fascinated! Seems to have correct side steering for USA. Does that mean Mahindra made RHD cars for export back then? Or how exactly this ended up in the USA. Would you be able to register and make it road legal in TX?
Old 27th July 2024, 00:00   #7

amol4184,

How it got here, I have no clue. I found it on Craigslist. Took the wife on about an hour road trip to "look" at it. She decided "we" needed it. So, now it is sitting in my back yard.

Yes, it is RHD. I can only comment on "built for export", because it is here.

That is an interesting question. While actually driving in on the road is not a huge consideration of mine, I would like to figure that out. I'm searching for information to back that up. It looks street-able. It has full lights, Hi/Lo, blinkers, and flashers. It also has electric wipers. If, as HEM suggested they were only made in 85 and 86. Then it only really lacks a couple of the safety features that were on New Models. Most noticeable, are over the shoulder seat belts, Third Brake Lights, and collapsible steering column. Once I make it run, and sort out all the gremlins, then I'll worry about fighting the DMV.

Jon
JonTDawe is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th July 2024, 14:56   #8

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

I think it has the hurricane engine from Willys with side valves, you could try finding about the engine in any Willy jeep forums.
Ghosty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2024, 20:46   #9

Ghostly,

Yes, it is the Willis F-134 Hurricane engine.

Four intake valves in the head, 4 exhaust valves in the block.

Jon
JonTDawe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2024, 21:28   #10

Well, some encouraging news.

Compression test results.

Cyl 1 125 psi
Cyl 2 115 psi
Cyl 3 115 psi
Cyl 4 120 psi

So, I believe we now have all four things needed to run.

I’m going to check ignition timing at TDC next.

Jon
JonTDawe is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 30th July 2024, 03:42   #11
BHPian

So you're not a Jeep guy, wanting a farm vehicle, and decided to not even look at the vehicle M&M specifically made for such customers (Roxor), and instead bought something that's probably gonna be a lifelong headache because it looked strange.

I'd have done the same.

Anyway, there's a forum somewhere on the interwebs for the Roxor. When it was launched, there was immense interest in part swapping/importing of all kinds of jeeps. Some of the members should be experts by now on what goes where.
Old 30th July 2024, 20:10   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula1 View Post
So you're not a Jeep guy, wanting a farm vehicle, and decided to not even look at the vehicle M&M specifically made for such customers (Roxor), and instead bought something that's probably gonna be a lifelong headache because it looked strange.

I'd have done the same.

Yes, Sir!

I'm a sucker for something strange and different.
Looking at it, I'm not sure how much of it can really be a headache.

Unless it has a major mechanical problem that has yet to reveal itself yet.

Jon
JonTDawe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2024, 13:16   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonTDawe View Post
Hello everyone,

My name is Jon. I posted in the Introduce Yourself section, and it was suggested that I start a thread about my new to me Mahindra MM440P.
Hi Jon,
Welcome to team bhp. this particular model was a limited period offering in India.
Engine: engine used is the same hurricane engine used in CJ3B in US hence parts shouldn't be a problem.
Transmission: If I am not wrong, it's a 4 speed gearbox with double lever transfer case (one for 2wd <-> 4wd) and another for High<->Low. All the bearings and many gears should be available in US. Similar to CJ3Bs, you can't shift to low gear until you move the transmission to 4wd. However, there is a pin which controls this mechanism, and if removed, you can move to low gear without moving to 4wd.
Differentials: in most certainty, the crown pinion ratio is similar to CJ3B (5.88) and the differentials as well. parts should be easily available in US.
Brakes: brake drums should be bigger than CJ3B but brake shoes can be repaired with the riveting of new liners on top.
Electricals: wiring etc, can be repaired as well as meters. front and rear lights of older CJ5 can be used.

If you can't find any particular part for this Jeep, please let me know and I can source it from India.

Regards,
Shubhendra
Shubhendra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2024, 00:42   #14

Shubhendra,

Thank you so much for the information. I'm adding it to my file.

So far I have found nothing to suggest any of the information you offered is incorrect.

What I really hope to figure out, is how to use the numbers I have, to determine the year model.

MODEL MM-440P-4WD
CHASSIS NO PN-05539
ENGINE NO PN-05539
SERIAL NO 386861

The information I have gathered suggests that the MM440, was phased out in 88/89, due to new governmental standards. I'm unsure if they were safety, economy, or emissions based.

I'm wondering if the location of the fuel filler, on the right read quarter instead of on the back of the vehicle offers any clue? I've looked at lots of pictures, it seems to me, that most of them are on the back.

Also, does anyone know what vehicle the Steering column came out of? It has a Mitsubishi key.

Thanks,

Jon
JonTDawe is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks