Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2024, 21:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

A-Thon Ashva 4x4: First made-in-India ATV revealed

Bangalore-based A-Thon AllTerrain Pvt Ltd has revealed what is claimed to be the first made-in-India ATV, the Ashva 4x4.

A-Thon Ashva 4x4: First made-in-India ATV revealed-ash2.jpg

Ashva is one of four all-terrain utility vehicles planned by the company. It is a 2-seater 4-wheel-drive ATV based on a space frame chassis and measures 3,556 mm in length, 1,930 mm in width and 2,010 mm in height. Its wheelbase is 2,600 mm. The vehicle weighs 850 kg and has a cargo capacity of 60 kg.

A-Thon Ashva 4x4: First made-in-India ATV revealed-ash3.jpg

The Ashva 4x4 is powered by a 976cc, liquid-cooled V-twin engine. It is available in two states of tune - the base variant packs 71 BHP @ 6,500 rpm and 85 Nm @ 5,500 rpm. The higher-spec engine produces 85 BHP @ 6,500 rpm and 101 Nm @ 5,500 rpm. Both variants get a 2-step CVT and on-demand 2WD and 4WD with locking differentials. The ATV is said to be capable of climbing up a 65-degree slope and can drive over a side slope of 45 degrees.

A-Thon Ashva 4x4: First made-in-India ATV revealed-ash7.jpg

The Ashva 4x4 is equipped with a double-wishbone front suspension with dual-rated coilover shock absorbers and a trailing arm setup at the rear with camber links. The vehicle gets disc brakes on all four corners.

A-Thon has positioned the Ashva 4x4 as a farm utility product. It comes in three variants - V1, which has a fixed front and rear hitch for agricultural attachments and accessories. The V2 version comes with a rear PTO, while the V3 packs autonomous features and data-centric crop management systems.

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!

Link to Team-BHP news
TusharK is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 18th May 2024, 22:42   #2
BANNED

Re: A-Thon Ashva 4x4: First made-in-India ATV revealed

This is a commendable effort in my opinion, a round of applause for the manufacturer for this effort. This vehicle looks actually useless rather than just tacky. Hopefuelly, they keep the price affordable for the target audience.
Amrit@wheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2024, 23:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a quick startup venture for money.
  1. First make unrealistic claims.
  2. Show some product.
  3. Raise funding.
  4. Go bankrupt.
Lets wait 5 years and see.
A-Thon Ashva 4x4: First made-in-India ATV revealed-screenshot-20240518-224545-athon-welcome.pngA-Thon Ashva 4x4: First made-in-India ATV revealed-screenshot-20240518.png
(same same but different Nikola, Simple energy, AppHarvest, Theranos)

But i really want to be proven wrong in this case.

Last edited by GTO : 19th May 2024 at 12:39. Reason: First line really wasn't needed
jeepster is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th May 2024, 08:32   #4
BANNED

To be honest it looks good. An ATV was much needed in India for enthusiastic persons. Hope it is in budget. Round of applause for the manufacturer. Off-roading becoming serious in India. Nice to see it.
pragvanshsaini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2024, 10:25   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
First make unrealistic claims. Show some product. Raise funding. Go bankrupt. Lets wait 5 years and see.
It is indeed a bit suspicious when they say it is targeted at agricultural segment. We know there is no demand in India for agricultural 4x4 ATV because Mahindra does not sell them in India. But it does in USA/Australia (Eg: Mahindra Retriever):

Name:  Screenshot_1.png
Views: 269
Size:  713.4 KB

All agricultural ATVs have functionality/ practicality in mind. One of the most basic requirements of an agricultural ATV is a cargo area like a pickup truck. Eg: Kubota ATV

Name:  Screenshot_2.png
Views: 259
Size:  452.8 KB

Meanwhile, this pic looks quite silly:

A-Thon Ashva 4x4: First made-in-India ATV revealed-screenshot_3.png

It is quite likely that this is a Chinese rebranded (SKD assembly kit) sports/off-road/recreational ATV

Last edited by SmartCat : 19th May 2024 at 10:48.
SmartCat is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 19th May 2024, 12:04   #6

This is a great step from an Indian company towards ATVs.
People who are looking for these kinds of machines should try this and have up closer experience to share with us.
Old 19th May 2024, 12:47   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
(same same but different Nikola, Simple energy, AppHarvest, Theranos)
I usually call out such companies too and have done so for many (including Pravaig). But A-Thon looks more promising. Spend some time on their website. Look up pictures of their facilities here. The main guy Sandeep is associated with the 20+ year old Deccan Hydraulics which appears to be a reputable organisation.

I'm hopeful of being proven right. They are targeting agricultural & military use, but they will need an export market...and it's tough to compete globally against Chinese-made products.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 21:28   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
It is quite likely that this is a Chinese rebranded (SKD assembly kit) sports/off-road/recreational ATV
It is indeed SKD kit assembled with few parts made in India. I know the founders

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I usually call out such companies too and have done so for many (including Pravaig). But A-Thon looks more promising. Spend some time on their website. Look up pictures of their facilities here. The main guy Sandeep is associated with the 20+ year old Deccan Hydraulics which appears to be a reputable organisation.

I'm hopeful of being proven right. They are targeting agricultural & military use, but they will need an export market...and it's tough to compete globally against Chinese-made products.
Deccan Hydraulics started off manufacturing hydraulic components for BEML, then went on to manufacture a lot of different parts for different automotive OEMs (fun fact- the Tata Aria used to come with a hydraulic jack, which was made by them).I am pleasantly surprised about how accurate your description about the company and people are. I can vouch for that first hand.

This is one of their first attempts at making a consumer product, which is a big transition from selling parts to auto industries. The market in India is almost non existent, and export potential extremely limited as Chinese companies can ship out cheaper products due to their sheer scale. So, I keep telling them that this is an impossible dream, but I hope to be proven wrong!

Last edited by Raghuwire : 20th May 2024 at 21:31.
Raghuwire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 21:46   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghuwire View Post
It is indeed SKD kit assembled with few parts made in India. I know the founders. So, I keep telling them that this is an impossible dream, but I hope to be proven wrong!
After Galwan conflict and as a result of on-going standoff with China, Indian Army seems to be looking for unconventional mobility solutions suitable for the mountains. ATVs fit the bill - Indian Army just bought 250 Polaris ATVs.
https://defence.in/threads/indian-ar...vehicles.6733/

A-Thon Ashva 4x4: First made-in-India ATV revealed-f7_bmvwwqaah9bd.jpeg

Perhaps your promoter friends could focus on that segment.
SmartCat is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 12:59   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Just heard they're also developing a 6x6. An experimental model being developed jointly with ARTPARK, Indian Institute of Science Bangalore.

A-Thon Ashva 4x4: First made-in-India ATV revealed-1.jpg
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 13:13   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Just heard they're also developing a 6x6.
Old thread on TeamBHP -> pros/cons of 6x6 over 4x4
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-t...-over-4x4.html (6x6: Any significant advantage over 4x4?)
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 13:48   #12
BHPian

The vehicle in the farm field looks like its placed in some place abroad. Its destroying the crops while tilling in between

But for agricultural sector addition of a tow cart behind would be good enough within the rural roads. But like our urban environments where most cannot afford multiple vehicles for different purposes, a tractor will be more useful doing multiple chores. Will be really limited sales opportunities.
PreludeSH is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th May 2024, 14:07   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghuwire View Post
It is indeed SKD kit assembled with few parts made in India. I know the founders

I am a long-time lurker here, had to create this account to address this. I am an ex-employee of this company, worked on the 4x4 also (Can't divulge much publicly, read I have signed an NDA)

It is not an SKD kit assembled, they are doing most of the things in house, hell they are even making their own body parts.

Also, they have huge test rigs for accelerated life cycle testing. They have around 50 acres dedicated to this project including production facility.

They have also got some design patents for these vehicles including the one showing here, a simple search on IPR platform will reveal this. They are also in partnership with IISc for this, and making the 6x6 shown here .

Also got to know from some ex-colleagues, they are offering the invites for test ride to public, you can get yours by filling some google form.

Form

I had to leave this company for my masters, otherwise would have never left them, team is also great. Wishing them all the best.
MotoHead007 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks