Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2010, 12:45   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by King413 View Post

I have a feel that the biggest challange for a BLR Gper is the heat and no ......

LOL

Prithvi
Prithvi, The BIGGEST challenge for the Bangalore Jeepers is TPC 10 .

BTW, do you know that we too can offer you CBs?

Last edited by khan_sultan : 16th April 2010 at 13:20. Reason: edited the original post for cleanup
Old 16th April 2010, 13:49   #77
BHPian

Quote:
BTW, do you know that we too can offer you CBs?
Arka,

Speaking for me only: The BIGGEST challenge in TPC is going to be beating the heat.

Prithvi

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th April 2010 at 15:46. Reason: Strictly no discussion on Alchohol's please.
Old 16th April 2010, 14:48   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by King413 View Post
Arka,

Speaking for me only: The BIGGEST challenge in TPC is going to be beating the heat.

Prithvi
Hi Prithvi,

The Heat is real concern for the Organizers, that is why we conduct the event in August. Imagine doing TPC, in May or June.

Regards,

Arka

TPC 2010 ENTRY DETAILS

Beat The Heat

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th April 2010 at 15:49. Reason: Strictly no mention and discussion on alcohol please.
Old 17th April 2010, 13:42   #79
BHPian

arka, can i come in to understand the recce as i have not been to an OTR.

Where should i come and with whom can i tag along?
Old 17th April 2010, 16:46   #80
BANNED

Hi Vinod/Arka

Can i tag along with you guys for the recce ?
Old 19th April 2010, 12:31   #81
Senior - BHPian

Recce#1 Part1

Hi Guys,

It was a run to find some of last years Special Stages, the locations of which were only determined by triangulation with other ground references, the monsoons have made the terrain very interesting .

We specifically avoided the rough sections as we wanted the Scorpio to get away with minimal body damage (minor scratches).

All the participants were well prepared and we had only one case of vehicle over heating and two vehicle recoveries (Scorpio & Gurkha) the 2WD Ford Endy does not count.

Regards,

Arka

PS - Nookala.Vinod was the CHIEF GUEST for Recce#1.
Attached Thumbnails
TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-pict0001.jpg  

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-pict0005.jpg  

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-pict0008.jpg  

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-pict0022.jpg  

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-pict0023.jpg  

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-pict0026.jpg  

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-pict0027.jpg  

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-pict0028.jpg  

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-pict0029.jpg  

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-pict0030.jpg  

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-pict0033.jpg  

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-pict0039.jpg  

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-pict0041.jpg  

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-pict0042.jpg  

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-pict0045.jpg  

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-pict0046.jpg  

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-pict0048.jpg  

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-pict0049.jpg  

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-pict0050.jpg  

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-pict0051.jpg  

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-pict0052.jpg  

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-pict0053.jpg  

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-pict0056.jpg  

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-pict0057.jpg  

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-pict0058.jpg  

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-pict0059.jpg  

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-pict0060.jpg  

Old 19th April 2010, 15:16   #82
Senior - BHPian

thank you guys

Hi Guys,
Yesterday's OTR was a blast! I would say a very fulfilling OTR. Be it the number of vehicles participation or be it the level of skill displayed i would say absolutely brilliant!!

Drive up to Adventure zone was as usual but one unusual thing happend was Arka's jeep doing 70 to 80 kmph efforlessly!!. After a wholesome breakfast we headed to river bed at about 9.30 -10 a.m It was blazing hot and one could just imagine what would happen by noon! It was pleasure to have unusual 4wd's, a Gurkha and a Scorpio M- Hawk 4wd. Both were phenomenal more on that later. All in all we had about 9 to 10 4wd's.

All in all we did about 3 to 4 special stages in a span of about 4 hours. Our intitial idea was to attempt 2008 special stages but the topography was different this year. Hence we did some thing new. The scale of climbs was good but were not extreme as we had to take care of Scorpio which had poor approach and departure angles compared to jeeps and Gurkha because of low slung bumpers. Gurkha won hands down in terms of ADR angles and stability off road.

Scorpio impressed with its sheers grunt and superb suspension. Gurkha got its act once the owner got hang of ratios. I maintain my statement, Gurkha needs difflocks where open diff vehicles would do including Scorpio 4wd! Scoprio has brute power and soaks up the terrain. Newer Scorpios suspension is really optimised and front and rear complimented each other translating in outstanding traction. Scorpio is lot more forgiving if you choose ratios wrong which Gurkha isnt due to power and second gear ratio disadvantage.

We suffered some problems with one jeep over heating and Gurkha tyre burst and diff locks not releasing and ford Endy 2wd getting stuck badly. Sorting all issues out, we had luch at about 5 p.m and returned back home by about 8 p.m safely

This OTR was special to me considering this OTR would be my last Chennai based OTR. Will miss you guys, but look forward to join you guys as often as i can geography not being a hindrance.

Thank you guys!

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 19th April 2010 at 15:20.
Old 19th April 2010, 16:16   #83
Senior - BHPian

A good OTR, that made my vehicle perform without any hiccups.

Thanks to the illegal quarrying, all of last years treacherous climbs were mere jumps this year.

Thanks Tini, for the AC rest provided to me and HOTRROD while I was getting roasted in the heat.

I witnessed 1 climb in the SCORPIO and MIGHTY MUSCULAR SHE WAS. I am really surprised with the power delivery of the vehicle.

The ADR [as spike says] angles were no match for the basic 4x4s but power delivery is superb and the suspension is good.

The Gurkha looks good but suffered from lack of power and the ability to articulate and needed diff locks for most of the basic work. Maybe monsterbhp can elaborate more ?

Now, Photographers, please post pictures..
Old 19th April 2010, 18:09   #84
BHPian

Towed Again

Morning 5.00 Am - as usual eyes opened and made a quick call for people to wake up.

Headed to ECR for the meeting spot and 6.45 we have everyone assemble.

Then the drive to Major Roy camp after a quick Tea and finally reached with a delightful welcome and Break fast.

Then we move on to the dreadful PALAR RIVER BED . For me PALAR has been dreadful and never forgets to Rape me .

3 vehicles go into the river bed and mine chance to get in and wow i clear it without falling into the pit .

the vehicle next to me gets struck and vinod vehicle come to aid but not able to climb to reach the tow rope.

Then come the traveler he too misses the spot . the comes venkat the sound of ARKA swindles his mind that he too goes off down skating.

Then finally we have siddarth with his Willys ( XD3P ) make it to the place but tow hook missing in the vehicle and ARKA in his own way " I DO NOT want HALF prepared vehicles " but he pull the 540 down

Then the time for the 2 gypsys then came down smooth with any props except for ragav number plate vanishing.

We head inside with ARKA vehicle leading the gang .

The first obstacle - This one was easy with all the vehicles doing it with ease . We had to climb up with short run up and then decent down.

The second one - This was a decent and all the vehicles had done it.

I had been thinking obstacle 1, 2 , 3 and so on but did not realise that PALAR itself was a obstacle and she was thumping my vehicle temperature .

The 3rd one - a broken path or rather a way for water to cross. this is where the scorpio suffered a little beating

The 4th one was a double climb which the 3B did with ease because of ramp over , departure - ok beause of all the angles .( No technical Jargans )

By this time the forces of nature was at its peack with SUN into its fullest power sucking all water from our body and heating our body and spreading heat and the PALAR doing its best to sink the vehicles . A 5 second wheel spin in PALAR means you are gone and in some please a second late to change the gear you vehicle will stop because of the hideous sand which will pull you in inch by inch.

It was almost 2.00 pm when we had reached the last obstacle and ARKA does a clim followed by ALI and then my turn and I floor the accelator and i'm up the climb and bump on my brake to stop and i hear ARKA go down in reverse and come back again why do you brake , so now i need to stop my vehicle without braking at the cliff top .

I go backwards and ram the acceltor and reach the top and release the accelator and vehicle come to sudden halt " THAT when i relasied skill and beating taken in PALAR has taught ARKA to be tough and engage mind correctly.

Finally it pack up time and we all head outward when the GURKA gets struck and is on it chasis . I had ulled the scorpio out earlier the day so with much confidence hooke the GURKA and with all the power pulled the GURKA out when i head a different roar in my vehicle with all grean water splashing out

Yes the radiater and timing had done - Just a min before i had thought myself wow PALAR and my vehicle is driving back hme yipee and slam the fortress came down .

15 had to wait to cool off the engine the favour was returned by GURKA to tow me back to land .

Still with a heavy heart slowly touching my vehicle mudgurad and pouring and in my mind saying to my vehicle - " please sweet heart please sweet heart start start " and the sign of life - drr drrree drreeerr dd dreeeee and she starts wow - she start - my heart never jumped with joy so much - We drove out of PALAR and finally reached the camp .

After reaching the camp with that big soung and heavy heating and pouring of water every 10 kms with again a heavy heart head back when finally we decide to " TOW AGAIN "

My learning -
  1. THE PALAR is a place where man and machine need to be tough to come out driving
  2. Face the wind and park you vehicle when you are not performing the obstucle
  3. Never accelerate too much when not needed
  4. Brakes are not necessary in SAND
  5. NEVER EVER - pull out a vehicle which is on Chase which is almost twice your vehicle weight and always do it in group ( TEAM )
Back to CHENNAI and finally 5 kms before home the vehicle is unleased and then rode home with all radiator water splashing and over heating .

Without a sleepless night a early morning jumping out of bead today and a small mistake of advanced time in pump was the cause and had got it ready and now she will be back to PALAR on MAY 2nd - I Cannot win over nature but i can modify myself to suit the gruelling , threatining , life sucking , molasting --THE PALAR

Propeller
Old 19th April 2010, 18:39   #85
BHPian

Hi Guys,

The same forum that encouraged me to come to your event last year, is unfortunately discouraging me to come to TPC 2010 this year.

I have already booked my flight, from Colombo to Chennai, and fly Chennai to Haikou for the China event, and will not be back home till end August against a time that I can not take such leave.

I am participating in the China-Sanya event due to obligation, but the Palar by choice. This was one of the rarest places that the compettion cancer had not infected, where there was no room for whining and bickering.

Every participant obviously wants to win, and only way to find out is to participate, and discover where you rank among the others given your best shot. As long as the scoring is fair, consistant, and impartial, nothing else will matter. If your game plan works whatever the conditions you can take on the best in any terrain.

I plot the Taprobana Challenge with one other person - My Co driver Rushiran, and Most of my plotting is on Foot. Even the marshals do not know the plot till the last week. The politics and finger pointing in our local scene has pushed us to this corner, and it is very exhausting to deal with this addtional baggage as an organizer.

Do not let the TPC get to this point so rapidly. As mentioned these issues are part and parcel of any big event, but not so early in the game.

I would like to see an all India onslaught at TPC 2010, supporting the event to get it to the next level. Look at the Kerela Boys, came and had a good time regardless of their scores. I hope this culture continues.

Cheers
Old 19th April 2010, 18:52   #86
Team-BHP Support

we want more pics!! where are the pics!! Nice update though guys, thanks.
Old 19th April 2010, 18:56   #87
BHPian

Hi Vinod, Header,

The gurkha just happened to have diff-locks its not like its built around that, it would be a capable 4wd even without it. I would agree that it can dig in more than desired particularly if your a newbie or your not careful in noticing the dig in. The problem lies with the rear axel because the rear suspension articulation is poor as it shares the same spring rate as the heavier and longer Toofan and Gama. So the beam axel is not full floating like the jeeps. I am sure it will do better with a few less leafs.

Diff-Locks are defiantly not responsive as anyone could have noticed that. Guess some lubing would do the trick.

Moreover hard body vehicles also have an issue with weight,may be an soft top gurkha will dig in less compared to this one but with Chennai's climate i would choose the AC any day!

Power is also an issue, i am sure we can all do better with an V-8 strapped on and jump over the dunes but i did not have issues with regards with power. I did use the 2nd gear for most climbs.

The Scorpio was definitely a surprise and it did perform way better than anyone expected. May be an higher wheels base would improve the angle of approach.

Last edited by Monster_BHP : 19th April 2010 at 18:59.
Old 19th April 2010, 18:56   #88
Senior - BHPian

Good pics and reports...but , more pics please

And whose Gypsy is that lovely red/maroon one ( or is it Toreador Red ?! ) ? I havent seen this one before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
...the 2WD Ford Endy ...
What was a 2WD Endy doing on the Palar river bed ???? Even a 4WD one would have problems due to the higher kerb weight of the vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
.After a wholesome breakfast...
just curious...what was on the menu ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
... and Gurkha tyre burst ...
punctured tube or was it the tyre itself that burst? How did this happen ? too much pressure on that tyre during axle articulation ?

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 19th April 2010 at 19:11.
Old 20th April 2010, 08:35   #89
BHPian

Recce 1

Sunday morning wake up at 4:30 at the alarm and start getting ready one by one. Two of my friends head towards Arka's place to join with him in his JEEP while me and another friend heard towards header's place. A bit of scrambling around and all of us are off towards our first full fledged OTR. We had to meet up at Ignite and by the time all assembled it was almost 7AM.TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-20100418-06.39.56.jpg

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-20100418-06.40.10.jpg

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-dscn0190.jpg

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-dscn0194.jpg

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-dscn0195.jpg

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-dscn0197.jpg

And all of us trot into each of the jeeps and head towards Adventure Zone. Have a nice and heavy breakfast so that we can have some energy to face what Palar has to offer us today. And soon we are heading back to the parking , giving a general check again to the vehicles and preparing ourselves for the heat.

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-dscn0198.jpg

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-dscn0199.jpg

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-dscn0200.jpg

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-dscn0201.jpg

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-dscn0202.jpg

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-dscn0203.jpg

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-dscn0204.jpg

PS: Sorry about posting it slow guys, stuck at work badly.
Old 20th April 2010, 12:41   #90
Senior - BHPian

Guys, where are the pics? Iam told there are about 500 of them. Please post at least 250 :-P
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks