Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2009, 10:46   #826
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Shyam - thanks for calling. I appreciate. However, Kolkata is too far off for me to take this call. With the total shortage of time that I have due to my normal job etc, I am having trouble keeping my fiats as it is. But please don't think that I have lost interest. I have not lost interest at all. It is just the logistics of doing the whole thing that puts me off. Get the car started, drive down 2000 kms, get the NOC, then wait for 3 months. It's not easy believe me, I went through the agony for my LHD fiat. What price is he asking for by the way? Just curious.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 10th May 2009, 21:37   #827
Senior - BHPian

Stanher chettan! Here's one for you. A standard Vanguard seen rusting away at a local garage here. Came here for getting repaired, dunno how much success he will achieve though. Car seemed very original. Haven't seen muc of this model around here, most of the vanguards i've seen are the round ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-09042009346.jpg  

Standard cars in India-09042009352.jpg  

Standard cars in India-09042009349.jpg  

Standard cars in India-09042009353.jpg  

Standard cars in India-09042009354.jpg  

Standard cars in India-09042009355.jpg  

Standard cars in India-09042009356.jpg  

Last edited by JayD : 10th May 2009 at 21:39.
Old 10th May 2009, 21:57   #828
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Stanher chettan! Here's one for you. A standard Vanguard seen rusting away at a local garage here. Came here for getting repaired, dunno how much success he will achieve though. Car seemed very original. Haven't seen muc of this model around here, most of the vanguards i've seen are the round ones.
Wooooow......semma vaNdi chettan!!

Really stole my heart, this one! Its indeed a very original car, even with what look like the original treadplates....I just can't believe it!!

Where is this, in Cochin?

This is a phase 3 Vanguard, last of the Vanguards available in India, made until around 1959 or so (and is said to have been stopped from production by the then govt. when the Amby was just introduced, even though these cars were faring even better than the latter!)

In the UK, this model had continued until the early 60s, subsquently got a facelift by Michelotti (who designed the (NOT Stan!)Herald, known as the Vanguard Vignale. Later replaced by a 6 cyl. Vanguard.

Incidentally, Foby.sebastian had posted pics. of a similar model seen in Thrissur, also under "restoration" some time ago. This one is in rleatively better condition though.
BTW, any idea how long this car's been there? Appears to be an advocate's car. I'd love to pick it up if it's in my budget and if he's (hopefully!) not interested in it!

I just need a Vanguard to complete in future, my Standard Motor museum!

So that means, I'll be troubling you from now on!

Last edited by Stanher : 10th May 2009 at 21:59.
Old 10th May 2009, 22:06   #829
Senior - BHPian

@ JayD - Wow, Standards in restorable condition turning up from all corners of the country. Is this car for sale? Does it have papers?

Stanher, dont worry. I've not turned into a Standard fanatic overnight. Just asking for academic interest!
Old 10th May 2009, 22:17   #830
Senior - BHPian

One more unknown Standard car spotted under the sign boards of a local musical troop in chennai

Standard cars in India-image001.jpg
Standard cars in India-image002.jpg
Old 10th May 2009, 22:44   #831
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
One more unknown Standard car spotted under the sign boards of a local musical troop in chennai
OMG!!!!

The horror of it all!! This is PATHETIC, DESPICABLE, DEPLORABLE....DE.....running out of words!!

This is an early 60s Standard Companion, with a later date TN regn. 'wish it never ended up there!

I've heard horror stories from another madras tbhpain about Standards there being mutilated horribly by music bands........but this!!

If they dont really care about the shape/looks of the car and just want something that makes their signboard/orchestra move, as seems in this case, why can't they just take a more 'common' car and chop/hack it down?! Why pick on these?!!

Grrrrrr!!!
Old 10th May 2009, 22:46   #832
Ram
Senior - BHPian

1961 Standard Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Wow, that is a chopped Standard Companion, trammway!
The estate car version of karlosdeville's Standard 10.

What a mutilation! But I guess owners can do what they please.

Standard cars in India-standardcompanionchoppedfront.jpg

Standard cars in India-standardcompanionchoppedrear.jpg

My uncle had one in Bhopal, back in the early 1960s. Its color was Litchfield Green and the number plate was MPB 8122.
Old 10th May 2009, 22:56   #833
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
The estate car version of karlosdeville's Standard 10.
a.k.a Pennant (mine too)

Quote:
My uncle had one in Bhopal, back in the early 1960s. Its color was Litchfield Green and the number plate was MPB 8122.

I thought the shade of green used on Pennants and Companions was Apple Green? Litchfield Green was of course used on the earliest Heralds here, which came mostly in duotone, as that kind of two-tone on Heralds is referred to (White in between + another colour top and below)
Old 10th May 2009, 23:20   #834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Wooooow......
Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
@ JayD - Wow, Standards in restorable condition turning up from all corners of the country. Is this car for sale? Does it have papers?

Stanher, dont worry. I've not turned into a Standard fanatic overnight. Just asking for academic interest!
The car is in cochin. I think it has papers, and my be up for sale. Will update as soon as i get some info.

The companion is indeed a sad sight. I'm amazed at how it manages to run, even after all this abuse! I wonder why people do this to such cars. Sigh!
Old 11th May 2009, 07:36   #835
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I thought the shade of green used on Pennants and Companions was Apple Green? Litchfield Green was of course used on the earliest Heralds here, which came mostly in duotone, as that kind of two-tone on Heralds is referred to (White in between + another colour top and below)
Yes, I am positive, the name of the Companion's paint was, "Litchfield Green" since the early 1960s when I could barely spell it! :-)

And that in a spanking new 1962 Companion, back when Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru was PM of India. My uncle's job was transferable all over MP -- I remember it was luxuriantly forested and much more rural than today. So, he had acquired one additional set of four white wheels and white-wall tires.

Back in the monsoon of 1962, my uncle (IAS batch of 1958) was Under Secretary General Admin Dept at Bhopal, MP. The Standard Companion was his first car and probably most beloved of them all. He retired in 1991 as Additional Chief Secretary (Labour, Manpower Planng & Technical Education).

The Herald duotone that you're referring to was alluded to by C.S.ANANTH exactly one year ago to the day. He said
Litchfield Green & Sebring white.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vinta...tml#post826022 (Standard cars in India)
Old 11th May 2009, 15:30   #836
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Yes, I am positive, the name of the Companion's paint was, "Litchfield Green" since the early 1960s when I could barely spell it! :-)
The Herald duotone that you're referring to was alluded to by C.S.ANANTH exactly one year ago to the day. He said
Litchfield Green & Sebring white.https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vinta...tml#post826022 (Standard cars in India)
Yes, I'll have to agree with you! Your mention of this rang a bell of the day I met an ex-Standard dealer at Madurai, who told me that the Companion came in Litchfield Green and Winchester Blue, besides Black.

Now the early Heralds that were in duotone also came in these shades of green and blue...and considering that both models were released at the same time, it makes sense considering that as the Pennant was available even before, it's colour shades weren't used on these cars.

Anyways, nice cars all of them! 'wish my dad had them! :sigh:

Last edited by Rehaan : 11th May 2009 at 17:53. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 5th June 2009, 18:23   #837
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampro View Post
I may not be good in identifying Vanguard but 'Uthiravindri Herald' is unmistakable.
See photo I received.
'saw the same movie on the DVD that you sent me, thanks a lot!

Uththiravindri Ullai Vaa, a must-see movie for Herald lovers! The Herald is a lovely white mk1, MSS 2961, driven by Ravichandran throughout the movie! Its a really original car except for the dashboard, which sadly has the wood-veneer panel replaced by the decolum one! Commonly done on many Heralds, probably because the latter was easier to maintain?

Standard cars in India-img_3087.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_3076.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_3116.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_3122.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_3123.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_3127.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_3070.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_3115.jpg

The car seems to be a '64-65 mk1 going by the number. 'even appears in a chase sequence towards the end!

Note that in the first scene showing the interior, the car appears to be in second gear, but he is shown starting it and then engaging it in gear! Strange!
Also note the unique two-tone grey and white companion seen passing by the Herald in a split second. I like that colour combo.
Old 24th June 2009, 16:14   #838
BHPian

Standard Penant

A Penant in fairly good condition.Maybe for sale, send me a PM if anyone is interested.
Cheers,
SG
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-phone-pictures-015.jpg  

Standard cars in India-phone-pictures-012.jpg  

Standard cars in India-phone-pictures-010.jpg  

Standard cars in India-phone-pictures-014.jpg  

Standard cars in India-phone-pictures-013.jpg  

Old 24th June 2009, 16:46   #839
BHPian

Standard Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Thats a Standard Herald. It looks like an open top which has been fitted with a hard top. The top looks like a Fiat one.
That's an original Top. This can be removed by unscrewing 4 bolts and made an open tourer.
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-my-standard-herald.jpg  

Last edited by sudharma : 24th June 2009 at 16:56. Reason: Adding picture
Old 24th June 2009, 17:55   #840
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilgee View Post
A Penant in fairly good condition.
Wow, thanks to tbhp, you find Standards turning up from nearly every nook and corner of the country!
Indeed a very clean and original car, missing only the hubcaps and the st.steel strips along the bottom on both sides, as seen here:

Standard cars in India-img_2196.jpg

I hope she goes to a good home if for sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharma View Post
That's an original Top. This can be removed by unscrewing 4 bolts and made an open tourer.
Actually I think it is 6 bolts.

BTW, was this Herald in your family/known to you personally?? I have seen a couple of pics. of it, taken around early/mid '80s by a member of the Triumph Sports Six Club (TSSC), UK, who had been on holiday in India then, and had photo'd lots of Heralds in the country! One of those was this very car- KLK 7955, in a metallic gold colour in his photos.

I'd used the same pics. of his in an article I compiled on Indian Heralds for the same club a few years ago:

Standard cars in India-img_3254.jpg

If you happen to know of this car, do you know it's current whereabouts?

Tbhp has also proved that it's a small world indeed!

And for another surprise- while browsing for pics. of "Standard Gazel" today on google images, I came across this nice but slightly aged photo of one such car:

posted by someone in his family website:

Krishnamachari Family Photographs

Now, what a coincidence that not only did this person and I have the same kind of car in our families, but we also share the same surname!

Note: This is a mk1 Gazel, made from early-mid 70s. It retained the forward hinged bonnet cum cowl, Herald style. It's supposed to have a chrome capping on the front bumper, which is missing, probably due to the bumper being hit and damaged on the left, clearly visible in the pic.

Last edited by Stanher : 24th June 2009 at 18:03.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks