Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2007, 10:35   #481
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Thank you for your kind words, friends.

This is my conclusive post on identifying this car.

In 1937, Buick offered 21 models in 4 series
  1. Buick Special Series 40 (10 ft. 2 in. wheelbase)
  2. Buick Century Series 60 (10 ft. 6 in. wheelbase)
  3. Buick Roadmaster Series 80 (10 ft. 11 in. wheelbase)
  4. Buick Limited Series 90 (11 ft. 6 in. wheelbase)
All had valve-in-head engines.
The bottom model Buick Special had a 4,064 cc straight-eight, that put out 100 bhp @ 3200 rpm.
The other three Buick series had 5,244 cc straight eights, that put out 130 bhp @ 3400 rpm.

In all 4-door sedans of the high-end Roadmaster and Limited series, the third window (between the C and D pillars) had a fixed pane and a quarter pane with a winder to swivel it outwards, like this:

The Buick Century and Buick Special sedans just had a humble fixed pane.

So Ol' rusty is a Buick Century or Buick Special.

The Century and Special were 4-inches apart in length and wheelbase.
Those 4 inches were easily observed between the front edge of the front door and the rear edge of the pontoon front fender.

Now from this image, Ol'rusty is a Buick Special.

The Buick Special series 40 line fielded eight models (five 2-door models and three 4-door models).
Of the three 4-doors, one was a convertible; we can eliminate that.

Of the remaining two, one was the Buick Special model 47 plain-back sedan.

The other was the Buick Special model 41 trunk-back sedan.

Voila! Ol' rusty is a
1937 Buick Special model 41, 5-passenger 4-door trunk -back sedan.

Quod Erat Demonstradum

Ram
Old 1st September 2007, 10:42   #482
Senior - BHPian

AMAZING work, ram. This thread will soon be the 'learn everything about vintage rides' thread!!! Hope to see more such stuff in the future

Also, gogi had expressed his doubts in the originality of the jeep earlier. Thats why i posted two more pictures. I never claimed it was original, nor was i interested in buying it!!
Old 1st September 2007, 12:14   #483
Senior - BHPian

RAM we sure are learning alot from you. how do you manage this each time you better yourself.
so now rusty has a full name 1937 buick special and what a wonderful car she must have been in her days.
ok guys i know some of you'll will want to kick me but i am getting an urge to take this car as a project(very tough one too). need a new challange the last one i had was a convertible buick roadmaster done for a friend of mine.
now all i need is an adress?
Old 1st September 2007, 14:19   #484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
AMAZING work, ram. This thread will soon be the 'learn everything about vintage rides' thread!!! Hope to see more such stuff in the future

Also, gogi had expressed his doubts in the originality of the jeep earlier. Thats why i posted two more pictures. I never claimed it was original, nor was i interested in buying it!!
Yup thanks bro. Your two additional pics sealed the doubt. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
RAM we sure are learning alot from you. how do you manage this each time you better yourself.
so now rusty has a full name 1937 buick special and what a wonderful car she must have been in her days.
ok guys i know some of you'll will want to kick me but i am getting an urge to take this car as a project(very tough one too). need a new challange the last one i had was a convertible buick roadmaster done for a friend of mine.
Here we go again. Speedy has a new name, Braveheart . Check the engine out at the least. I doubt even if thats all there and then theres always the issue of the owner who still might not want to sell it!
Old 1st September 2007, 14:39   #485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post

Here we go again. Speedy has a new name, Braveheart . Check the engine out at the least. I doubt even if thats all there and then theres always the issue of the owner who still might not want to sell it!
i have two spare buick engines with me and a whole lot of other things includeing two donor cars that i had bought to complete the buick roadmaster convertible. you would have seen the yellow buick roadmaster convertible and the buick roadster(rumble seat) at the rally. . so there is no harm in trying. most of the stuff needed can be bought or made.
BRAVEHEART loves challanges. what others consider impossible, i read it as i am possible.
if i get the address i can go there and talk to the guy and convince him.
Old 1st September 2007, 14:54   #486
Senior - BHPian

Speedy.. how about changing your signature to 'impossible is nothing??'
All the best!!!

Last edited by JayD : 1st September 2007 at 15:08.
Old 1st September 2007, 14:55   #487
Senior - BHPian

Hope its available for restoration, i mean thats what we all are striving for aren't we? If an old beauty like that can be given a new lease of life...Fantastic. All the best bro, hope the owner appreciates your passion and gives the car to you. Cant wait to hear the good news. All the best.
Old 1st September 2007, 15:38   #488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Speedy, Please cool down, Was it you who has been doing all the restoration or is it your Brother!! I have never seen you near the project cars at your Brother's garage!! Your Brother Does have a Passion for Vintage and Classics, do you Really share the same Passion? Or is it that you are saying all that you are, on your Brothers Behalf??!!
Old 1st September 2007, 23:33   #489
BHPian

well, its a good candidate for a chop hot rod too.... better that than it rusting in peace...
Old 2nd September 2007, 02:23   #490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Speedy, Please cool down, Was it you who has been doing all the restoration or is it your Brother!! I have never seen you near the project cars at your Brother's garage!! Your Brother Does have a Passion for Vintage and Classics, do you Really share the same Passion? Or is it that you are saying all that you are, on your Brothers Behalf??!!
the restoration is done by marezban and jehangir. my brother started the restoration work with the support of my father and me, at that time i was studying so i could not spend much time.
uncle the first time i met you was in the garage when you came in with the impala. the passion runs in the family uncle. my father n me always stayed in the background n my brother in the foreground.
i start my day with a visit to the garage then at lunch break and then after work( convinience of haveing the office and the garage in the same place). my brother is more of the technical person and i am cosmetical. the work is split between the two, i choose the cars(condition wise, make and rareity) and he sees the technical aspects of its feasability. both of us supervise the restoration projects. he travels alot due to work so i spend more time in the garage.
uncle my brother and me are one and the same none of us say things on each others behalf . we support each others decisions in everything some of the other cars i am negotiateing for he only knows the names besides that nothing not even the years or their condition. my brother has not even seen this buick and i am sure he will have the same thought when i tell him about it.
Old 2nd September 2007, 12:10   #491
Team-BHP Support

President for sale. Asking Rs. 40,000/- Want to buy? . All original.
Old 2nd September 2007, 12:30   #492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post

President for sale. Asking Rs. 40,000/- Want to buy? . All original.
Is the guard in the blue shirt also being sold as a package deal with the car?
Old 2nd September 2007, 12:33   #493
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Is the guard in the blue shirt also being sold as a package deal with the car?
No, he is the cleaner and doesn't do the job well. The condition of the car is a witness
Old 2nd September 2007, 12:47   #494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No, he is the cleaner and doesn't do the job well. The condition of the car is a witness
so as penalty you get to buy the car.
Old 2nd September 2007, 12:54   #495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My bad, should have guessed looking at him & the car!!! So MF you buying the car?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks