Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2011, 17:03   #121
BHPian

Re: Toyota Etios V - Initial Ownership Experience

Any update what are the waiting periods for guys booking now ?

Thanks
Arun
Old 23rd April 2011, 09:50   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfrog View Post

Thanks
Arun
From Toyota's press release, it is 3 months which will go up to 4+ due to part constraints because of earth quake.
Old 23rd April 2011, 11:19   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrade View Post
Thank you! I am planning to go tomorrow to fix one of the rattles that is coming from the glove box. Should I contact someone? What name I should refer?

Also, is there anything I should ask the service people to check for? They check spark plug, spark plug gap, air filter and fuel filter when we complain about FE. Anything more I should specifically insist? My car was made during the last week of January which means during the first month of commercial production. Any typical issue that cars produced during the first month will face apart from rattling?

You are right! The oil colour is golden only.

There is a suffix stating the year and month which is not in the number you have. _MMYY is what is missing. Otherwise your number is complete.

Hi Upgrade,

It would be fine if you just give the vehicle for service as usual at the dealership.
Give them the clear cut picture of the Concerns you have that would be enough.
About about that rattling thing i just wanted to proactively understand the concern.

Keep me posted after experience of the service too.

Cheers
Old 8th May 2011, 20:03   #124
BHPian

Dealer tested FE of just 14.6 kmpl at 80 kmph on highway

Last Friday (6 May) I went to dealer to look at the fuel efficiency problem again. Service center people agreed to do a FE test to calculate the km/l using the equipments provided by Toyota, They connected all the gadgets and did the mileage test in the NICE Road between Hosur Road and Kanakapura Road. The service engineer maintained the speed around 80 kmph for the entire stretch. But for the 2 humps and one U turn there was no gear shifting. The mileage was 14.6 kmpl (14.4 for 0.985 liter petrol as per the gadget).

Now service center thinks that it is an acceptable mileage. I had asked them to speak to Toyota with the data and get back to me. They don't have any idea about the mileage expected for this car, the positioning of the car, etc. I feel there is no use in talking to them more about the issue simply because they don't know anything about this car. Can anyone (Carb...) help me to contact the right person in Toyota to look into my car? The car is about 20% less fuel efficient than what it is supposed to be and I am losing money everyday with this car.

Apart from the FE, there are rattle problems too. They fixed one problem by adding an 'O' ring in the wiper liquid section. For the other bigger rattle problem, they have asked me to leave the car in the service center for them to remove the dashboard and fix the problem.

Now, have I got a lemon?

Image: FE test by Toyota service people
Toyota Etios V - Initial Ownership Experience-06052011397.jpg
Old 9th May 2011, 11:06   #125
BHPian

Mileage Test Report given by Service Center

Here is the scanned copy of the report about the mileage and rattling:

Toyota Etios V - Initial Ownership Experience-0220_001.jpg
Old 9th May 2011, 23:10   #126
Senior - BHPian

The G in our family, runninig on road since last few days, with 96km in Pune-Mum city and 147km on highway (243km), with a/c on most of times, for the first mileage calculation top-up (15.70 ltrs), has returned an avg of 15.47. It seemed pretty decent for the first one. However, I have heard news of people in Delhi getting upto 18 in city, not entirely ratified though. Will have to see if FE will keep up like this or hopefully better.
Old 17th May 2011, 11:28   #127
BHPian

Hey Upgrade. I haven't managed a tankful-to-tankful in my Etios yet. Had filled up the tank right after delivery, but re-filled it last week to avoid the impending petrol price hike. The car took 29 ltrs of petrol on 2nd filling and had traveled only about 270 kms from the first fill. Thats a mileage of only about 9.3 kpl. It was 100% city, 70% heavy traffic with AC on most of the time, so that might account for some of it. OTOH I've been driving with a light foot, keeping in the 2000-2500 rpm range so was expecting better. Hoping that it will improve after first 1500-2000 kms - lets see.

Also having a big problem with the car vibrating on idle. Have you faced this? It generally shows up after I take the car on a good drive (say 15-20 mins) and then idle it with the AC off. If I rev up the rpms - either by tapping accelerator or by turning on the AC (which also revs-ups the engine slightly) - the vibrations get dampened.
Old 17th May 2011, 17:36   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautam109 View Post
Hey Upgrade. I haven't managed a tankful-to-tankful in my Etios yet. Had filled up the tank right after delivery, but re-filled it last week to avoid the impending petrol price hike. The car took 29 ltrs of petrol on 2nd filling and had traveled only about 270 kms from the first fill. Thats a mileage of only about 9.3 kpl. It was 100% city, 70% heavy traffic with AC on most of the time, so that might account for some of it. OTOH I've been driving with a light foot, keeping in the 2000-2500 rpm range so was expecting better. Hoping that it will improve after first 1500-2000 kms - lets see.

Also having a big problem with the car vibrating on idle. Have you faced this? It generally shows up after I take the car on a good drive (say 15-20 mins) and then idle it with the AC off. If I rev up the rpms - either by tapping accelerator or by turning on the AC (which also revs-ups the engine slightly) - the vibrations get dampened.
Yesterday Nandi Toyota service manager called and informed that he got the confirmation from TKM that the mileage that I am getting (14.6 km in highway drive at 80 kmph) is the mileage that Etios is expected to give. It was shocking to me. While TKM claims Etios FE to be just 0.5 km less than Dzire, in real life it gives 2-3 km less. In fact, it is at par with SX4. While many customers have the mileage issue, there are also customers who claim that they get 17 and 18 kmpl in the highway. The bigger issue is TKM doesn't want to speak to you and ask the service manager (poor soul, he doesn't have any idea about the product and he speaks to me because TKM wants him to do!) to deal with you.

FYI, I have completed 4000 km and mileage remains almost same.

For your problem, check the engine rpm. It should be around 700-800 without ac and 1000 with ac when the engine is warmed up. If it is more, you can ask the service people to fix it up. Also rattling is a common issue and there are certain known rattlings like the one in the image above that the service center will fix immediately. I do expect more rattlings to come up in this car.
Old 17th May 2011, 23:20   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
However, I have heard news of people in Delhi getting upto 18 in city, not entirely ratified though.
I don't believe this one bit. My etios (V variant) started by giving me almost 13 kmpl in the city (without AC) which has now come down to 10-11 kmpl in the city (with AC, and driving with a heavier foot). People who claim they are getting 18 kmpl must just be widely guessing their FE and not doing a full tank to full tank calculation.
Old 18th May 2011, 07:53   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post
I don't believe this one bit. My etios (V variant) started by giving me almost 13 kmpl in the city (without AC) which has now come down to 10-11 kmpl in the city (with AC, and driving with a heavier foot). People who claim they are getting 18 kmpl must just be widely guessing their FE and not doing a full tank to full tank calculation.
Yeah, 18 in city seems quite unrealistic. Our G has been varying between 10-14 in Mumbai city (mostly AC on), counted on various top-ups to full tank (not waiting to empty tank, but toppinng up inbetween for various drives totalling 100-200kms). We are just observing how good or bad it gets. I think 13-14 should be okay within city, if we are able to squeeze that much, with consistent good driving and 16-18 on highway. Innova also gives me 11-12 in city and 15-16 on highway.

But I am surprised about the tests on Upgrade's car and TKM's claim as per that of 14.6 on highway to be good.

Last edited by parsh : 18th May 2011 at 07:56.
Old 18th May 2011, 13:42   #131
BHPian

^ I don't know if that is "good" or not, but it is certainly realistic. I would not expect more than 15 Kmpl on the highway.
Old 1st June 2011, 16:46   #132
BHPian

5000 km Update

Completed 5000 km yesterday. The mileage remains the same at about 14.5 kmpl when driven around 100 kmph speed in highways. The city mileage continues to be around 10.5 kmpl.

Rattling seems to be increasing, now from the driver side of the dash also. I need to take the car for fixing it. Since I already visited the service center so many times, I just thought of fixing it after some time.

Noise level has gone down significantly. At 100 kmph speed, the car cruises without any effort. The AC is good enough to handle the Chennai summer heat.
Old 2nd June 2011, 01:18   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 5000 km Update

Quote:
Last Friday (6 May) The service engineer maintained the speed around 80 kmph for the entire stretch. But for the 2 humps and one U turn there was no gear shifting. The mileage was 14.6 kmpl (14.4 for 0.985 liter petrol as per the gadget).
That is bad mileage when the test was done at 80kmph with virtually no gear shifts ; btw what is the engine rpm when you're at 80kmph in top gear?

Quote:
The city mileage continues to be around 10.5 kmpl.
Old 2nd June 2011, 10:09   #134
BHPian

Quote:
At 100 kmph speed, the car cruises without any effort.
I happened to take a test drive yesterday and I felt it was steady and comfortable upto 120 kph. However at 140 there was certainly a dip in confidence, perhaps due to the light steering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfrog View Post
Dakshin Honda tells me it is three weeks. Or is just the salesman spinning it?

Last edited by Jaggu : 2nd June 2011 at 10:39. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote (Quote+) instead. Thanks
Old 2nd June 2011, 15:24   #135
BHPian

Re: 5000 km Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
That is bad mileage when the test was done at 80kmph with virtually no gear shifts ; btw what is the engine rpm when you're at 80kmph in top gear?

It is around 2300 rpm. Etios does about 35 kmph for every 1000 rpm. So, for 80 kmph speed it is (80/35)*1000 rpm.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks