Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2011, 01:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai i-10 VTVT Automatic

There was never any doubt in my mind that the perfect runabout for Indian conditions was a small but luxurious hatchback with automatic transmission.

Naturally I was very keen on the Santro A/T when it first debuted several years ago. But for one reason or another, the decision to get one kept getting postponed. FF to 2008 where we sold the OHC and got a Civic. It’s a fabulous car on the open road but feels large and cumbersome in the chaotic and narrow streets of Bangalore. Also both parents being in early 60s it made sense now to look for an A/T runabout. We do have a driver and another car (Wagon-R), but since both are assigned primarily for my dad's office work, they are not always available.

Annual mileage will be pretty low and so pre-owned would have made perfect economic sense. Contenders new were the A-star & i-10 VTVT, and in pre-owned..the i10, NHC-CVT and Santro. Also since a premium car exists in the house, I wondered if we really needed a car with all the bells and whistles? Have a soft spot for Hondas so I briefly entertained the idea of a CVT. Buying used would be a nightmare because I don’t have the time and nobody else in the house has the inclination or the motivation to shop around. Plus the NHC CVT is larger than ideal.

Besides, it was really a gift for Mataji, so used car didn't seem right and it had to be brand new. Not only new but personally I wanted something newly launched to the market so that I feel good about dropping that much money. A-star A/T came and although is wasn't facelifted or anything, frankly I was pretty excited about it initially. Both parents are small/medium build so they would have no trouble fitting in one. Esp my mom who clearly told me smaller the car, more comfortable she feels. 3-cyl would mean lower maintenance and better FE at the risk of refinement... at least in theory.

But twas something about the A-star and it failed to excite me. Firstly I wanted ABS and Airbags and the Astar was missing one (forget which) even on the top end model. Secondly, I generally dislike grey interiors. What I can't stand even more is light grey. The darker shade is a lot better and looks more upmarket. You sit inside the A-star (I have to squeeze myself in thanks to my size) and you are greeted by a mass of dull grey everywhere. Plastic quality and feel is like one of those large size Rubbermaid trash cans popular in the US. So these 2 were the deal breakers for me. Otherwise it’s a small car that’s feels pretty solid and not built like a tin box and is priced cheaper than the i-10 A/T. I also learnt that the ARAI numbers for the Astar is only ~½ kpl better than the i-10. So, bottom-line the A-star felt like the VFM choice but simply did not feel special.

As far as new launches, it seemed like Micra CVT was coming but no information or confirmation on that. Nano CVT would be waay too basic.Honda Brio again would have been an excellent choice but no idea if-or-when the A/T will come to India. *So back on the fence now*..i-10 looking more favorable but still not exciting me since it was not the latest ‘n’ greatest with 1000s roaming the streets already.

So when I heard about i-10 facelift with VVT engine, it was just the push I needed. I loved the new front end that incorporated Hyundai’s new corporate look with BMW style flame surfacing. S-H-A-R-P like an E90. The segment best FE of the VVT Kappa2 (I'm a sucker for engine technology) and the premium feel of the interior was another feel good factor. So as soon as I got to Bangalore, started the booking process. Unlike A-star, delivery was promised in 10 days flat. Wanted the car ASAP so plan was to run it on temp plates until Jan 3rd so that it could be registered as 2011. I was travelling quite a bit and so was not able to participate much in the whole purchase process.

Did a short test drive from Trident which was a Sportz model. Liked it for the fuss free driving experience although personally felt that it took some of the joy out of driving. (well I was in a racy mood that day). Frankly I had already decided to go for it so the TD was to check if there are any major flaws. Also couldn’t help think that cars like Beat and Figo offer so much more for much less money. Really sucks that we have no choices as far as ATs go.

Offer given was 6.85 OTR BLR for the Asta AT Sunroof with insurance and additional year of warranty. Since I wanted the dual airbags and ABS I had to pay top dollar go for the ASTA with moonroof. I figured rather than whine about it, let me learn to enjoy the pleasure of a moonroof on a cool breezy night. Went ahead and booked at white one. SP was quite aggressive with follow-ups and wanted to invoice the car in Dec (monthly quota). He was calling twice a day till the down-payment was made even came home couple times to get the paperwork filled. Got the car finally on the 31st.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai i-10 VTVT Automatic-m3-underhood-322.jpg  

Hyundai i-10 VTVT Automatic-m3-underhood-266.jpg  

Last edited by Mpower : 16th April 2013 at 21:43.
Old 20th January 2011, 04:14   #2
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i-10 VTVT Automatic

Congratulation Mpower.

i10 AT is an excellent car and it’s the best choice in hatchback segment. Do update this thread with initial run-in experience. Also few more interior pictures please.
Old 20th January 2011, 04:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Deep, The new i10 with face lift looks great & I like the color too

I know this would be difficult(with you in US & car in India) but try to keep us posted on the ownership experience
Old 20th January 2011, 04:49   #4
BHPian

Many congratulations , I'm pondering an AT drive as well but the costs of a new AT in Bangalore are prohibitingly high

3 weeks and no T BHP stickers yet?
Old 20th January 2011, 06:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys. Here is a short driving impression.

Paint quality is really excellent and I quite like the shade of white. Its looks more pearly and less chalky like the Indicabs. I also liked the electric red but it would have been too flashy for an older person. My favorite was the dark blue but sadly it has been discontinued.

As you step in, you will immediately appreciate the ergonomics. It is a tall boy but not unnecessary and excessively tall like the WagonR. I felt the WagonR due its excessive height has a high CG that causes unwanted bodyroll and bouncy ride quality. The i-10 has a perfect height so that you slide in and out and sit comfy inside. Body roll while its there is not terrible.

The interior is again a mix of good and bad. Fortunately its mostly good. Finish and texture of the dash is excellent and the new darker shade of beige/brown looks really upmarket. The metallic gray finish of the center console also looks lot better than the pale silver popular in many cars today. Full points to the guy who chose the interior colours.

I’m personally not a big fan of the oval theme used inside. The steering, HU, etc etc are all oval shapes and was in fashion a decade ago and it reminds me of the silly Toyota Highlander that someone I know has. For 7L, it has neither the sexy-style 'n' swoopy-lines of the Beat nor the classy and elegant look of the Polo. But I have to constantly remind myself that in its Era avatar, it’s still a 4-lakh car that was launched almost 4 years (that’s one generation) ago. It’s not an ‘all new’ 2010 born baby like the Polo, Beat or Micra.

Instrumentation is pretty good but I would have liked more info in the MID like outside temp etc. The backlighting of the clocks have a soft glow that looks really up-market. I wonder if it’s the electroluminescent type that first appeared on the Lexus. Gearshift lever with chrome looks classy and falls perfectly to hand as its dash mounted. But alas, its an A/T so there is not much to do with it once you pop it in drive. In stark contrast the knobs for blower speed/temp/position and the AC buttons are super cheap looking and remind you of cars from the 90s. For this much money, I would have liked to have ATC but I guess they have to starve the i-10 in order to make the i-20 look good.

Since it was a new car, I was driving rather gently. First thing you notice is that the trans shifts up pretty quickly and keep the rpms low. I guess it’s calibrated to hold higher gears in the interest of FE. I gently squeezed the accl and still no downshift. I floor and it waited a good second and a half before it downshifted. If you really want to hustle, then the car moves although it feels like the engine is working hard to fight the transmission which feels like its churning in mud & dragging the engine down like a ton of bricks.

In a manual transmission i10 Kappa, the engine revvs freely almost sings...whereas it sounds strained in the A/T. A car like this not for a driving enthusiast so no point in criticizing it. Its a cruiser not a sport hatch. Since it was in running in mode, I didn’t want to push it any further. Engine feels really smooth and there are no unpleasant vibes or harshness felt in the cabin. I guess people who own the Kappa1 can tell the difference better.

Steering feel was very typical of EPS..slightly vague and seems like there is a delay between when you turn the wheel and when the motor gives assist. I was happy that the car came with Appolo Accleres which I’m led to believe is the best domestic brand tire. Ride quality is average and can get a little bouncy which I guess is expected from a lightweight small car but still a couple notches better than Santro/WagonR. The car feels best on well surfaced roads. You have to slow down for bumps and potholes otherwise the body moves up and down uncomfortably. The tiny golf cart wheels cannot really absorb the impact of bumps/potholes and you cannot fly over them like you do in a solid Euro hatch like a Fabia or Punto.

The car really shines in thick traffic and narrow lanes where you just zip, zap and zoom around gaps in traffic. The sunroof, ah yes the infamous sunroof I left open on a cool Sunday afternoon drive in December and it was quite enjoyable, but I suspect there will not be too many opportunities to put it to use in a polluted city like B'lore.

All in all, I’m satisfied with the purchase and looking forward to a hasslefree drive and hasslefree ownership.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai i-10 VTVT Automatic-m3-underhood-267.jpg  

Hyundai i-10 VTVT Automatic-hyundai-i10.jpg  

Last edited by Mpower : 16th April 2013 at 21:51.
Old 20th January 2011, 07:13   #6
Team-BHP Support

Congrats for the new buy! So much is the price list with the facelift?
I have the previous generation Sportz AT. My better says its an amazing experience driving in this traffic.

PS: Is that Shell on the Sankey Road?
Old 20th January 2011, 10:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the fantastic buy Deep

The i10 AT is the nest city hatch you can buy today. A super combo of compact dimensions and easy of driving thanks to the AT. It doesnt get better than that. The i10 also comes with some features that shame a few entry level sedans. I quite like the new silver centre console rather than the earlier beige one. Looking forward to regular updates on the car.

Drive safe

Last edited by Dippy : 20th January 2011 at 10:08.
Old 20th January 2011, 11:28   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on the i10 MPower. Nice colour and console.

Wishing you & your parents unlimited safe and happy miles with her. I agree with you about Figo and Beat AT. Its a new market opening up here for ATs and Beat and Figo would definitely attract buyers with AT+their good features. I hope Ford and Chevy will do something on that front if a market survey is conducted and results are positive...

Cheers.
Old 20th January 2011, 16:17   #9
BHPian

Congrats! I too got an i10 ASTA A/T for my wife last month but in electric red color. Enjoying it so far...
Old 20th January 2011, 16:28   #10
BANNED

Congrats on the new car. White is a nice colour for older people as well as young. Red would only be for the young crowd. Now you need to get some nice alloys and tyres.
Old 20th January 2011, 16:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

Almost 7L on road looks a bit high.Overall the car is fantastic for city driving. With the AT i10 appears to be the best car to drive in the city. "No worry" title should go to i10 automatic. The steering from Hyundai is fantastic. From Sonata to i10 once just get the feeling that its not tiresome driving this car in the traffic.

Congrats on your new buy. Looks great
Old 20th January 2011, 16:54   #12
Senior - BHPian

Great gift !

I love the face-lifted i10's, especially the white ones. The rear bumper with those reflectors looks cool.

Bit suprised that even the top end dont get alloys. Hope you will get one soon
Old 20th January 2011, 17:10   #13
BHPian

Congrats Mpower for new car, i10 AT is the perfect small car for Indian road condition especially for the aged people.
But the main concern about AT cars in Indian mass market is FE and Resale, because there are few people who want your second hand AT cars!!

By the way keep updating the actual FE of your car.
Old 20th January 2011, 17:47   #14
BHPian

Hi M Power Congrats on your new buy.
Happy motoring

The 1st pic is at Circle Mariamma Temple and the 2nd one is at Shell Sankey road right.
Old 20th January 2011, 18:27   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Hi M Power Congrats on your new buy.
Happy motoring

The 1st pic is at Circle Mariamma Temple and the 2nd one is at Shell Sankey road right.
Yes even I thought the same! I can see the IISc gate at the on the first snap.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks