Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2011, 23:14   #226
Senior - BHPian

Re: My new preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok - 6 months up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
but I was thinking that the V-Tec works in exactly the opposite way to what you posted.
That was VTEC (then). This is iVTEC (now).

If I remember correctly, iVTEC is not limited to the implementation we find on the R18A. Subsequent Honda iVTEC units could have totally different implementations of VTEC. At least that's what I could make out of that Temple of VTEC Asia article and a couple of other related articles I read online.

So you can think of iVTEC as not just one technology or implementation but a basket of multiple different things Honda does. It's become a "brand name" in the true sense now.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2011, 11:32   #227
Senior - BHPian

re: My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator

@DOT - Great find, and now we need to check if it impacts the FE, if you can help us with the exact rpm level(when you finish testing) it will save all of us from installing the LED.

Vtec i tell you...difficult bull to handle

But come to think of it, this will not make much difference to my life because its peddle to metal whenever i drive the vtec or the ivtec(so no confusion)..which will be true for most of us & that why we buy vtec.
KSM-Vtec is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2011, 18:10   #228
Senior - BHPian

Good install, dot! I bet it is going to make you lean a bit towards FE though!

I am really surprised so many folks didn't know how vtec works inversely in R18! It is explained neatly on the web. Or may be I thought it is known to every other vtec lover here.

Never the less, now you know why no one uses the infamous phrase for Civics, "vtec just kicked in, yo!"
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2011, 18:21   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post

I am really surprised so many folks didn't know how vtec works inversely in R18! It is explained neatly on the web. Or may be I thought it is known to every other vtec lover here.
Exactly Ace
See the picture which was with me since 2007 when I was understanding R18..

My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-r18.jpg

In the red band Scorponok will light dots new led
Old 4th July 2011, 19:08   #230
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Good install, dot! I bet it is going to make you lean a bit towards FE though!
Never the less, now you know why no one uses the infamous phrase for Civics, "vtec just kicked in, yo!"
Well thanks. As I wrote on the other thread, I really didnt understand the inverse vtec on our R18A walla Civics, till now. We will do certain tests using OBD gauges and get a good idea on throttle position vs vtec switch over. Basically rework the plot that Laluks posted, but with real Y axis values.

Will it make us more FE oriented? Doubt that. City driving conditions does not mix well with light throttle driving.
Old 14th July 2011, 15:16   #231
dot
Senior - BHPian

All good things comes to an end. For the last couple of days, my TBHP statistics read like this,
Posts per day: 0.77
Thanks given: 666
Thanks received: 133

Pretty picture, like a Monet. I was relishing these facts for the last few days, unwilling to disturb the pretty picture. I was wondering how much time and efforts have gone into all this. How much my family had to sacrifice perhaps. How much knowledge has increased. Ditto for spelling and typing skills. All facts had to double checked on the google or wikipedia before posting. Then the enjoyment, late nights, crooked humour. And the best part, new friends. When I started, my biggest question was acceptance. Thanks to you, that question was addressed long time back.

I started this thread when post count was 6. This is the best place for the first of the four digit realm. Whats in a number really?

End of self-given-oscar speech. Back to business.

Scorponok also had a number situation. Car crossed 40000. I was not around for the first 33k, but the last 6 odd thousand kilometers have been remarkable. TBHP and Scorponok have been a heady mix. I have almost forgotten my day job!

My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-09072011659.jpg

Also, this small piece of equipment was added to the accessory list. An FM transmitter. I had bought one oval looking thing from ebay for 300-400Rs last year. Rubbish, as it used to capture interference from everywhere. That thing was unceremoniously dumped after a while. This guy is good. No interference, nice reception, good music inside during drives. Thankfully, my phone loaded with OVI music is back in action.

My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-13072011693.jpg

Last edited by dot : 14th July 2011 at 15:36.
dot is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2011, 15:42   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats dot on the big 1K! I don't see "Senior BHPian" by your handle yet- perhaps that takes some time to kick in? Scorponok's thread is truly a labour of love and as a frequent visitor/poster, I share your joy.

I just can't over how stunning the Civic's dash looks. Why don't more vehicles opt for that look? Glad to see you got yourself an FM transmitter. My accessories guy tried to fit one (that included Bluetooth) in my car, but it kept getting in the way when I engaged P. So dumped it.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2011, 21:44   #233
Senior - BHPian

Hey dot, hearty congratulations to Scorponok and you for achieving a nice milestone each!

Your methodical research, tenacity and perseverance are truly inspiring. Case in point? You actually got down to it, diagnosed it and had the loose auto-tensioner issue fixed whereas I - having seen/heard it on pretty much Day 1 itself - did nothing much more than complain feebly to H.A.S.S. and continue to live with it today! I think this quality of yours manifests itself in the number of thanks you've received. Your (# of thanks received/# of posts made) ratio since the thanks feature was introduced must be one of the highest around.

Please keep up the good work and keep racking up the miles! Scorponok is a blessed car.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2011, 22:36   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
...End of self-given-oscar speech.Attachment 576829
Congratulations @dot !
For me, its, The Car ! Fantastic thread, detailed review of ownership experience, and good to notice no mention of Petrol/Deisel and the recent Honda surprise. Afterall, all cars are not meant to be owned with calculations and Civic is one amongst them to be owned with heart, IMO.

Wish you many many happy miles and added 0s to your Team-BHP credentials
AvonA7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 06:22   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Scorponok also had a number situation. Car crossed 40000. I was not around for the first 33k, but the last 6 odd thousand kilometers have been remarkable. TBHP and Scorponok have been a heady mix. I have almost forgotten my day job!
Congratulations dot, to both you and the Scorponok, for crossing a significant milestone. 1000th post for updating your car's 40000th km, that's a pretty statistic. Like many other threads in Team-BHP, yours is turning out to be a real 'must-read' for Civic owners. The Auto-Tensioner issue, the way it was diagnosed and finally resolved and of late, the installation of VTEC Indicator have all been eye-openers. Keep it going, mate!
arvi86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 07:30   #236
Senior - BHPian

@dot Firstly congratulations! you are now a senior saab!
I was watching your post count closely and the last we interacted was on BV's City thread. and since then had seen your post count at 999 for long. That also is some self control indeed, most would look to post ASAP and turn out over 1,000.
But on this awesome milestone you had another one which is even more amazing and that was Scorpo's 40K. Fantastic and a real treat since we got both the iconic milestones in one day and on the same page.
I am really happy that through T-BHP, I made a great friend like you, who not only lives close by, but whom i can rant on and on about cars the whole day and get discussion from the other side too. That is hard to find. and i would like to take this opportunity to thank you once again, for just being you, and for being there in my time of need during the Chicca incident.
Wishing you and Scorpo many more iconic milestones to come.
Drive Safe!

Edit: is the fm transmitter from Ramesh bhai?

Last edited by mdsaab : 15th July 2011 at 07:32.
mdsaab is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 07:56   #237
Senior - BHPian

@dot, congratulations on the 1k mark. I can totally relate to your point about the flashback

Your thread is a one stop place for me to know more about the inside of an Honda. Some obligations at my end prevent me from doing this right away but I know where to look when I finally find the time for myself! Thanks again sirji
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 10:25   #238
BHPian

@dot,congratulations on the 1000 post mark.

I could see in your statistics-thanks given 666!! That sure illustrates your attitude as a true BHPian-always willing to appreciate others. A better picture than Monet,I would say.

Thank you for the wonderful thread.It is very informative. Only I must start following it more religiously,I would admit.

Cheers,charthom.
charthom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2011, 18:14   #239
Senior - BHPian

I say dear chap dot - congratulations on turning grey on TBHP and becoming a senior BHPian.
Have fun and keep pottering around and helping out with your 'material' skills.
Keep 'em coming ol' man !
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2011, 21:54   #240
dot
Senior - BHPian

Caution: Bromance and emotions ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
Please keep up the good work and keep racking up the miles! Scorponok is a blessed car.
Hey, remember, that the choice between the now Scorponok, and a Black Civic VMT, kind of rested on your comment many many moons back! If your plan is still on, it is possible that a BQ + Scorponok photoshoot might still happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
For me, its, The Car
Friend, I am floored. Lets meet up since we move around so close by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
yours is turning out to be a real 'must-read' for Civic owners
As we discussed, aka Manmohan Desai syle, twins (or triplets) separated by VIN number and connected by NH4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Your thread is a one stop place for me to know more about the inside of an Honda
I wonder what Mr Soichiro Honda would have thought of this statement.
Sometime back, I told my wife that a friend of mine has bought a Nano for his wife. The next few lines of discussions cannot be narrated on this thread, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
Thank you for the wonderful thread.It is very informative.
Hey I love your City and energy. When I come to Cochin next time, we should meet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I share your joy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
That also is some self control indeed
It was one good day when we three met in a lonely tapri on the road to Lavasa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Have fun and keep pottering around and helping out with your 'material' skills.
You must not read the above line. Take an oath please.
However for a real tribute, please read on.

Guys, I wish I could go beyond pressing the thank you button. Thanks for stopping by and enriching my daily grind. I anticipate that my next four weeks will be ultra boring when I leave the shores of the country for sometime and I can only hope to see your electronic selves and laugh away at the dead of the night.

Some Sunday Hand dirtying (aka HG style)

I have got to admit that after getting a glimpse of Admiral's engine bay I got totally inspired and spend a sock a week to clean up Scorponok's engine bay area. That is, take an old cotton sock, pop the hood, and spend about a hour or two to clean up whatever possible. Believe me, I have learned a whole lot more about the car after I started doing this.

Today I had to take a look at the ECU number. I am having a conversation with a guy who is ready to sell a Hondata FlashPro which is a OBD based tuning software for the R18A engine among other things. To know if it will work on an Indian Civic, we need to find out the ECU number and check in Hondata website if Flashpro supports this ECU. From 8th Civic forum I found out the way to open the ECU. To find the number I dont need to open the ECU, just find a way to open the plastic shroud and note the number. So here is how I found the number.

First the battery had to be taken out. Here are the steps I followed.

My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-17072011696.jpg
The positive terminal loosened and the clamp pushed out

My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-17072011697.jpg
The battery clamp nut loosened and pulled out from the bottom. The bottom of this stem is bent as it goes inside a orifice at the base of the battery ledge.

My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-17072011698.jpg
The negative terminal loosened and clamp pushed out.

My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-17072011699.jpg
The battery cover (PP) pulled out. Observe the dirt. Shudder.

My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-17072011700.jpg
Battery being pulled out. Observe my clean hands. Unfortunately could not take picture of the state of my hand later due to hygienic reasons.

My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-17072011701.jpg
Battery and cover placed next to each other on the floor.

My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-17072011702.jpg
The plastic (PP) base of the battery, check out the collection of dust.

My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-17072011703.jpg
The plastic (PP) base taken out and the area cleaned by a poor white sock.

My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-17072011704.jpg
The air intake snorkel.

My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-17072011706.jpg
ECU plastic (PP) cover.

My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-17072011707.jpg
The ECU!

My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-17072011708.jpg
ECU number of our Civics

My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-17072011709.jpg
ECU cover was also pretty dirty. Now cleaned.

My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-17072011710.jpg
Battery also cleaned and ready to go back into its slot.

At this point I heard a bird singing somewhere near. Turned out to be Jealousdiamond whistling. Together we screwed back the battery and focused our attention at his Safari where he replaced the headlamps with Hella H4.

My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-flashpro.jpg

The time of reckoning. After entering the ECU number, Hondata says that Flashpro does not support Indian ECUs. A sad day for Indian Civics.

Last edited by dot : 17th July 2011 at 21:57.
dot is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks