Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2011, 16:25   #391

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina
Correct. If the temperature knob is not set at the coldest position, the AC will not switch on automatically. They must have done a lot of due diligence and customer survey before arriving at such a feature.
Not the case with my polo. I rarely set the thermostat to the max setting, but my AC turns on the moment I switch the fan on.

I do recall something like you describe happening in the early test cars, however.

Tushar
Old 19th May 2011, 16:30   #392
BHPian

re: VW Polo 1.6 MPI - Ownership Report EDIT: 1,30,000 km up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tburman View Post
Not the case with my polo. I rarely set the thermostat to the max setting, but my AC turns on the moment I switch the fan on.

I do recall something like you describe happening in the early test cars, however.

Tushar
Ha ha ha... looks like someone complained and VW removed the feature. Please check with the service center to confirm this.
Old 19th May 2011, 19:23   #393
BHPian

re: VW Polo 1.6 MPI - Ownership Report EDIT: 1,30,000 km up!

Hi All,
Just wanted to confirm if this is normal in all Polo's:
I put my hand under the Stowage comparment today and felt something like the corners of a piece of cloth/sponge sticking out. As if its not fitted properly from corner to corner. On groping further, it felt like the HEPA filter I use in my B&D vaccum cleaner. Unable to get my head under the stowage to see exactly what it is. It seems like the filter of the AC is not fitted correctly.
Can someone please confirm if this is normal?
Old 30th May 2011, 12:15   #394
BHPian

A/C vent issue with Polo

All,
I had a bad experience with the A/C vents in my Polo recently. Thought of updating all Polo owners so that they can avoid unnecessary repair cost.
The problem -
The vertical louvers of the A/C vents are not made of strong plastic and easily break, typically at the fulcrum points.
The following illustration shows a typical louver while the red arrow indicates the pin that has a tendency to break.
VW Polo 1.6 MPI - Ownership Report EDIT: 1,30,000 km up!-ac-louver.jpg

The A/C louvers are lubricated at the time of manufacture with fine grade lubricant oil. With use and due to continuous A/C usage the lubricant dries up and makes the louvers tight to move. If you apply too much pressure trying to free the jammed up louver you will end up with a broken louver pin and the whole vent would need replacement. It is very expensive, more so in the Highline version which has chrome lined A/C vents. According to the SA the center A/C vent assembly costs upwards of Rs 7000/-.

The solution –
The solution is simple. Apply a good quality fine grade lubricant (standard machine oil used in sewing machines would serve the purpose) on all the fulcrum points of the A/C vent at a regular interval – I suggest a lubrication routine once every 2 months if you use you A/C always.

In my case I had all the vertical louver pins broken on both the right and left vent (the ones besides the door). When I heard about the cost, I thought of applying typical Indian “Jugad” method – which I picked up from one of the threads here from someone who had fixed his Palio vents this way – rebuild the damaged part using M-Seal. I rebuild all the broken pins using M-Seal, once dried; I filed them to shape using a set of jeweler’s file. Then applied a thin coat of Araldite over the rebuild pins. Once the Araldite dried up I fitted them back with a layer of white grease applied generously. Now the louvers move smoothly and as a matter of fact feels smoother than the original.

VW's stand -
VW is unwilling to replace the louvers under warranty - they claim that these are damaged by the user. But unfortunately do not mention the need for regular lubrication in the service manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
Hi All,
Just wanted to confirm if this is normal in all Polo's:
I put my hand under the Stowage comparment today and felt something like the corners of a piece of cloth/sponge sticking out. As if its not fitted properly from corner to corner. On groping further, it felt like the HEPA filter I use in my B&D vaccum cleaner. Unable to get my head under the stowage to see exactly what it is. It seems like the filter of the AC is not fitted correctly.
Can someone please confirm if this is normal?
There is a filter underneath the glove box. The filter material is exposed and you can feel it with your fingers.
sadnabrina is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th May 2011, 12:19   #395
Senior - BHPian

Re: A/C vent issue with Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
According to the SA the center A/C vent assembly costs upwards of Rs 7000/-.

That is INSANE. What are you thinking of doing?

EDIT: You have already done it. Sorry missed out on that.

Last edited by Pancham : 30th May 2011 at 12:21.
Old 30th May 2011, 12:45   #396
BHPian

Quote:
All,
I had a bad experience with the A/C vents in my Polo recently. Thought of updating all Polo owners so that they can avoid unnecessary repair cost.

The problem -
The vertical louvers of the A/C vents are not made of strong plastic and easily break, typically at the fulcrum points.
The following illustration shows a typical louver while the red arrow indicates the pin that has a tendency to break.

The A/C louvers are lubricated at the time of manufacture with fine grade lubricant oil. With use and due to continuous A/C usage the lubricant dries up and makes the louvers tight to move. If you apply too much pressure trying to free the jammed up louver you will end up with a broken louver pin and the whole vent would need replacement. It is very expensive, more so in the Highline version which has chrome lined A/C vents. According to the SA the center A/C vent assembly costs upwards of Rs 7000/-.

The solution –
The solution is simple. Apply a good quality fine grade lubricant (standard machine oil used in sewing machines would serve the purpose) on all the fulcrum points of the A/C vent at a regular interval – I suggest a lubrication routine once every 2 months if you use you A/C always.

In my case I had all the vertical louver pins broken on both the right and left vent (the ones besides the door). When I heard about the cost, I thought of applying typical Indian “Jugad” method – which I picked up from one of the threads here from someone who had fixed his Palio vents this way – rebuild the damaged part using M-Seal. I rebuild all the broken pins using M-Seal, once dried; I filed them to shape using a set of jeweler’s file. Then applied a thin coat of Araldite over the rebuild pins. Once the Araldite dried up I fitted them back with a layer of white grease applied generously. Now the louvers move smoothly and as a matter of fact feels smoother than the original.

VW's stand -
VW is unwilling to replace the louvers under warranty - they claim that these are damaged by the user. But unfortunately do not mention the need for regular lubrication in the service manual.

There is a filter underneath the glove box. The filter material is exposed and you can feel it with your fingers.
Thank you, Anirban for clarifying the filter issue.

Excellent workaround DIY for the broken vents.

IMO, the vents on both the doors sides are more flimsy than those on the centre dash, hence they get damaged easily. This is a case of use of cheap plastics as only cheap form of plastics tend to get brittle and easily break when exposed to lower (or extreme) temperatures.

Using petroleum Jelly instead of white grease will definitely prolong the life of your modufication as Petroleum Jelly is lighter, less dense in consistency, more viscous, less acidic, ph neutral, and will not solidify as much as white grease when cold.

I also installed an Ioniser in the cigarette lighter socket and a moisture absorber (DampTrap) under the drivers seat to keep cabin air fresh, odor free and damp proof. Also, did a small DIY for a automatic wireless led light in the the glove box. Works wonderfully well.

Cheers.

Last edited by Omega Man : 30th May 2011 at 12:47.
Old 30th May 2011, 13:12   #397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I also installed an Ioniser in the cigarette lighter socket and a moisture absorber (DampTrap) under the drivers seat to keep cabin air fresh, odor free and damp proof. Also, did a small DIY for a automatic wireless led light in the the glove box. Works wonderfully well.

Cheers.
Can you share more details on the same? Pics/brand/price etc?
I sometimes feel that the cabin is not fresh enough and would like to do something to enhance the feeling of freshness.
The automatic wireless LED sounds very interesting indeed. Would like to know more about it for sure
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2011, 13:48   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Can you share more details on the same? Pics/brand/price etc?
I sometimes feel that the cabin is not fresh enough and would like to do something to enhance the feeling of freshness.
The automatic wireless LED sounds very interesting indeed. Would like to know more about it for sure
Hey adimicra,

Check this ebay link for Ionizer:

CAR AIR PURIFIER- OXYGEN BAR- With Perfume | eBay

Check this website for moisture absorber (Local):

Better and Brighter Homecare

Check this website for moisture absorber (Imported):

Damp Rid FG01K Refillable Moisture Absorber -10.5 oz | eBay

For the automatic wireless LED for glove box, check my DIY on this thread:

Thread: Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review
Page: 145

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2361290

This thread is useful as well:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2365508

And so is this link - Automobile components emit cancer causing benzene fumes:

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/benzene.asp

Cheers

Last edited by Omega Man : 30th May 2011 at 13:58.
Old 30th May 2011, 16:42   #399
BHPian

Quote:
IMO, the vents on both the doors sides are more flimsy than those on the centre dash, hence they get damaged easily. This is a case of use of cheap plastics as only cheap form of plastics tend to get brittle and easily break when exposed to lower (or extreme) temperatures.
It is not the side vents only. The problem is with all vents. The center one in my car is less used and thus has not been damaged. It may not be a case of cheap plastic as the plastic felt strong enough and not brittle at all. The problem I believe is with the design. The pin is supposed to rotate freely on the slot but unfortunately without lubrication it is too tight.

Quote:
Using petroleum Jelly instead of white grease will definitely prolong the life of your modufication as Petroleum Jelly is lighter, less dense in consistency, more viscous, less acidic, ph neutral, and will not solidify as much as white grease when cold.
Since grease is meant for lubrication I though it would be better than petrolium jelly. Ultimately the primary constituent of PJ and grease are same.
Old 30th May 2011, 17:13   #400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
VW's stand -
I have had the same exact problem pictures of which I have posted in another thread and posting it again now. Just to let you know, VW Downtown Mumbai has agreed to replace the louvers under warranty. But it took them nearly 3 weeks to come to the decision. Please check with your dealer again. I'll be going to the workshop this Friday to get all the vents replaced.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo 1.6 MPI - Ownership Report EDIT: 1,30,000 km up!-p1010595.jpg  

VW Polo 1.6 MPI - Ownership Report EDIT: 1,30,000 km up!-p1010596.jpg  

theragingbull is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2011, 18:01   #401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
I have had the same exact problem pictures of which I have posted in another thread and posting it again now. Just to let you know, VW Downtown Mumbai has agreed to replace the louvers under warranty. But it took them nearly 3 weeks to come to the decision. Please check with your dealer again. I'll be going to the workshop this Friday to get all the vents replaced.
Great news. Please let us know once you get the replacement. Please insist on a bill/voucher for the replacement (they create a 0 value voucher for any replacement under warranty) and post it here. I will take a printout and go and claim the same from the local dealer here.
Old 1st June 2011, 14:44   #402
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 552632
Glad my juggard guide works for polo . May be its typical European where the legs are not strengthed by additional support. I have fixed the same for all the 4 vents in my palio. Even if its replaced it will break after sumtime unless they make the design changes.

Regards,
Vijay
Old 2nd June 2011, 10:34   #403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaycool View Post
Glad my juggard guide works for polo . May be its typical European where the legs are not strengthed by additional support. I have fixed the same for all the 4 vents in my palio. Even if its replaced it will break after sumtime unless they make the design changes.

Regards,
Vijay
Thanks to your illustrated DIY guide, the vents are running fine now.
Old 3rd June 2011, 21:01   #404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Great news. Please let us know once you get the replacement. Please insist on a bill/voucher for the replacement (they create a 0 value voucher for any replacement under warranty) and post it here. I will take a printout and go and claim the same from the local dealer here.
Hey my AC vents were fully replaced today with new ones. They feel much better now and move swiftly. The earlier ones felt too loose and fragile. Glad VW has replaced them under warranty. But the service advisor also told me that some warranty claims for the same were also rejected. Reason apparently being mine was a worse case than others

Hope yours also gets sorted soon. The warranty bill will be couriered to me later on as I took the delivery of the car when the workshop was about to close.

And BTW, my car was given a complimentary wash and interior cleaning as always This fact should be told to VW Bangalore who are charging 450 bucks for washing everytime!!
Old 6th June 2011, 11:52   #405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Hey my AC vents were fully replaced today with new ones. They feel much better now and move swiftly. The earlier ones felt too loose and fragile. Glad VW has replaced them under warranty. But the service advisor also told me that some warranty claims for the same were also rejected. Reason apparently being mine was a worse case than others

Hope yours also gets sorted soon. The warranty bill will be couriered to me later on as I took the delivery of the car when the workshop was about to close.

And BTW, my car was given a complimentary wash and interior cleaning as always This fact should be told to VW Bangalore who are charging 450 bucks for washing everytime!!
Good to know that they have replaced the vents. I will check with the local workshop soon. The complementary wash is actually part of a free summer service camp which is on till 11th June.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks