Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2010, 11:49   #16
Senior - BHPian

Manik, nice, objective & informative review. It was a pleasure to read & I think it would be useful for anyone contemplating a Safari purchase
Old 30th June 2010, 14:37   #17
Senior - BHPian

good and honest review. However I feel, the kms done are not true to the vehicle in this range. I do that much in around 2 months in my Santro Xing.

Would be interested in knowing the regular usage kms and then how is the ownership experience.
Old 3rd July 2010, 01:50   #18
BHPian

Good to know fellow safari owners , got mine too few months back (pearl white 2.2 EX). Some things i wanted to share with you:

1. The noise made by your front windows are loose beadings , mine too had em and i got em changed during my 2nd service for mere 48 bucks! ( to be frank the noise still is the same )

2. I sincerely dont know what is lacking in the a/c of the safari, it is nowhere near to a nice chilling feel which i get from my swift(s) & ford,its so useless in these summer days , depressing is the exact term, asked tata people they said a/c is fine, safari & vista a/c are below avg. only!!

3. Blower when put on feet position sincerely does nothing, its just like if one psychologically wants to feel the air then its ok, again tata people said ''sir ye aise hi hota hai''

4. Drive and suspension is simply superb i should say, your next service i guess would be costly one so which oil you would opt. for? normal/synthetic
Old 7th July 2010, 19:46   #19

That was a good musing...
Well, I read numerous such reviews, test drives and was so much tempted to get a Safari myself, but as a well known colloquial Malaylam saying goes "its easier to buy an Elephant rather than maintain it".
So with a heavy heart I had to postpone my decision to get a Safari and settle down for a rather subdued Swift :-), of course a decision I have not regretted to date barring the sheer Street presence that I miss!

But your mods look great and it must be really good in the vehicle with all the gizmos.
Continue to enjoy your ride and take care , drive safe.
Hope to join the club soon enough
Old 9th July 2010, 20:33   #20
Senior - BHPian

Diesel Sedimentor Light - Solved

Just wanted to share a recent discovery related to the Fuel Sedimenter in Safari.

During a recent trip to Himachal I had the Fuel Sedimenter Lamp suddenly come on. I had got the vehicle filled up from a petrol pump in Narkanda. I stopped the vehicle and immediately drained the Diesel from the Sedimenter. The light went off but re-appeared after some time. I again stopped and drained the Sedimenter and the light turned off only to re-appear after some time.

This happened four times and after the fourth time the light remained off.

As a precaution I took the vehicle to a newly opened TASS in my hometown and asked them to check. They did the same thing (Opened the Drain Plug, drained the Diesel and then tightened it back). Only this time the light did not go off and remained on permanently.

On further investigation I was told that either the Sedimenter or the Drain Plug is faulty and they will need to replace the entire Sedimenter since both items are part of the same kit. Cost Rs. 5000/- approx since this is not covered under warranty.

I had my doubts so I did not get it replaced.

Next day I took my vehicle to my usual TASS and they fixed the issue in a couple of minutes. Apparently the Drain Plug (Which is also a Sensor) was tightened too much causing it to get short and making the lamp glow. Too much tightening causes the sensor to start touching the metal inside the Sedimenter and makes the light come on.

The Sedimenter has to be tightened just enough (Finger Tight) and is not supposed to be over-tightened. Over tightening will cause it to touch the inner part of the Sedimenter and make the light come on in the dashboard.

Just though to share this with all of you. It saved me a lot of money.

Manik
Old 9th July 2010, 20:42   #21
Senior - BHPian

^^ Thanks for sharing this. If I remember correctly, the sedimenter light issue was mentioned in the Safari Tech. thread as well. Not sure if someone posted the solution. If you have not already done so, consider posting this in that thread as well.
Old 10th July 2010, 08:28   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnaik View Post
Hello Manik,

The pictures have come well. Thanks a lot. This thread will be very enjoyable by Safari lovers. Colour of the Safari is very good.
As you have mentioned a custom made computer, where I can get such one? Is it an Audio Head Unit with GPS and touch screen? How much it will cost?
Congrats on your Safari Praaji Have happy miles ahead.

Hi,

Would it be possible to share the details on the comp setup and the software you have used for the setup above ?

Thanks in advance..

OBTW, nice and crisp review.

Rahul
Old 12th July 2010, 14:54   #23
BHPian

Thanks for the Information on Fuel sedimenter issue tip. Nice musings on Safari and its ownership report.

Your photo of the Carputer has me drooling for it. The OBDII will also show you the fuel economy information like they have it in some cars ? You would do us a great favour if you can share some more information on the computer configuration/ hardware accessories and s/w.
Old 16th July 2010, 16:35   #24
Senior - BHPian

Carputer Details

Thanks to all of you for your responses I appreciate your comments and welcome your queries. Could not post earlier as I was travelling a fair bit.

Here are some more photographs of the Carputer setup I have with some other details.

Enjoy.....

Details of the Carputer setup follow in the next post.
Attached Thumbnails
My Safari Musings.-img_2535small.jpg  

My Safari Musings.-img_2536small.jpg  

My Safari Musings.-img_2537small.jpg  

My Safari Musings.-img_2538small.jpg  

My Safari Musings.-img_2539small.jpg  

Old 16th July 2010, 17:05   #25
Senior - BHPian

Carputer Setup

Here is the Carputer Part List.

1. Motherboard: Intel - Intel Desktop Board D945GCLF - Overview

2. RAM: 2 GB

3. HDD: 160GB Laptop Hard Drive

4. Case: Resourced from a Thin Client PC that I bought first from VXL Instruments at Bangalore - VXL | Products | Products , I had bought the full PC but later had to junk everything and just used the Case.

5. Screen: Imported from Lilliput products 619GL-70NP/C/T Lilliput Electronics Co., Ltd. , got this 3 years back for around $250 or $300 don't remember exactly.

6. Remote Controller: Used for controlling the PC, I do not use the Touchscreen as it is to far and secondly I don't use a frontend software etc. Bought from US got it here with a friend who was coming. EZ@HOME - EZ Commander - A PC Remote makes Internet, Multimedia, Presentation Easier

6. Internet Data Card: Tata Indicom Standard USB Data Card.

7. Power Supply: M2-ATX (160w) Intelligent DC-DC Car PC Power Supply , again got through a friend coming to India

8. OBDII: OBD2 All-In-One PC Scan Tool - Serial Interface , got it myself during one of my US trips.

9. Digital Compass and Vehicle Pitch and Roll Meters: Located it on the Internet at NIKEN Automotive Accessories Co., Ltd.-Car Air Vents, Car DVR, USB Car Adapter, Car Inclinometer, Digital Car Compass, Gear Knobs And Pedal Pads , talked to them and got it from one of their dealers at Mumbai. Approx 5K INR

10. Audio Setup: Complete JBL 6 speaker system with 2 JBL tweeters for front windows, 2 JBL components for front doors and 2 JBL Infiniti Series Speakers for Rear Doors. One Subwoofer India JBL and finally one 4 channel JBL Amp and another 2 Channel AMP for driving the Subwooofer.

11. GPS Software: Google Earth coupled with GooPs purchased version.

12. GPS Hardware: Serial GPS Mouse imported from Taiwan for around $100 around 3 years back.

13. OBDII Software: DashCommand - Palmer Performance Engineering, Inc., purchased version with customised Dashboard Layout.

14. Audio Software: Jetaudio, Basic Version, this has the best 4 Channel Surround available in the market.

15. Misc Items: Serial to USB convertor, Miles of Wiring, CPU and Chassis Fans.

Last but not least lots of research, hard work and patience and manual labour and almost 3 years of time from when I started this as a hobby project to finally getting everything working in my Safari. This project was started in a Maruti Omni then moved into a Baleno and finally now in a Safari.

I have not mentioned the price of all the components as prices keep changing and the links I have provided would have the latest prices.

Similarly I have not mentioned the many other components and parts that I bought, used and discarded in these last 3 or 4 years before I finally got to where I am now.

I think that about covers everything that I have used to make my Carputer.

Do let me know if you have any questions and I hope you would enjoy getting all the details.
Old 16th July 2010, 20:39   #26
BHPian

This carputer thing is really very good. :thumbsup
Your Safari is also in excellent shape. Looks very pristine. The mileage is however on the lower side.
Happy mile crunching anyways.
Old 17th July 2010, 13:58   #27
BHPian

Great Manikahuja. You have provided very detailed information along with images and links.

After a bit of research on the net, it appears that diesel engines don't provide fuel consumption data. Petrol engine ECU provides this data.
Old 8th August 2010, 00:35   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
After a bit of research on the net, it appears that diesel engines don't provide fuel consumption data. Petrol engine ECU provides this data.
Try the new version of DashCommand. I've heard that it does provide fuel consumption data if your vehicle OBD implementation supports the following PID's.

SAE.VSS
SAE.MAP
SAE.IAT
SAE.RPM
SAE.LOAD_PCT

I've figured out that my Tucson supports the above PID's but I'm yet to purchase the full version of DashCommand to completely vouch for it.
Old 9th August 2010, 14:01   #29
BHPian

Thank you Digital Vampire for that pointer. I am still toying with the idea of a Carputer or just use my laptop. A dedicated computer for the car doesn't sound worthwhile with my kind of usage.
Old 19th August 2010, 04:29   #30
Senior - BHPian

Got a set of Continentals

Just a quick update. I decided to get my OEM Bridgestone tyres changed and got 5 new Continental Cross Contact AT's. These tyres are definitely great and thanks to TSK's feedback over in the Safari Tyre thread, I finally took the decision.

I got the following deal from the tyre dealer.

1. Three old tyres returned for 4000/- each
2. Spare tyre returned for 6300/-
3. One tyre returned for 2500/- (Had a little cut)

The tyres had done 7639 kilometers except the spare wheel which was brand new.

Got 5 new Continentals for 7k each.

Total paid to dealer 35000 - 12000 - 6300 - 2500 = 14200. Finally bargained a bit more and ultimately paid 13500/- for the entire deal. I got the usual balancing free for all 5 tyres.

Next stop alignment and surprisingly eveeything was perfect, no changes required. Anyway had to pay another 200/-

So here I am with 5 new tyres for 13700/-

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks