Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2010, 18:29   #1
BHPian

My silver steed is here -- Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI A/T

After a lot of research and questions on this Forum, I finally decided to go in for the Superb. I had booked it with Krishna Auto Sales, Chandigarh, on April 25 with the commitment that they would deliver it by May 15. And lo and behold, they surprised me with a delivery on May 7! I saw it being off-loaded on May 6 evening and by noon the next day I had galloped away with it straight to the tyre shop nearby. Swapped the Goodyear's 205/55/R16 NCT 5 with the Michelin 205/55/R16 by paying Rs 13,500. By the way, when I asked the tyre shop owner about the merits of Michelin, he told me to check out Team-BHP.Com. Hurray!

Cost: Ex-showroom price Rs 19,81,00/-; Insurance Rs 40,000/-; registration Rs 4600/-, including the agent's running-around fee. Total:Rs. 20,25,600/-.

I found the sales staff at Krishna Auto very cooperative and eager to answer all queries. Before leaving the dealership I met the Assistant Service Manager and discussed a few things with him -- after all I was now in his hands! The only thing that I took from them were the original Skoda front mud flaps for Rs 1000/- as these are not standard equipment. Well worth it as it was raining when I left the place.

The insurance part is quite a story. Krishna at first quoted Rs 49,500/- for the cashless Bharti Axa but brought it down to Rs 45,300 after negotiations. However, I called Bharti AXA and their man told me that he would do it for Rs 37,000/-. When confronted with this, Krishna pleaded that they charged more because they would release the car, after repairs, etc, even if they have not got payment from Bharti AXA. They cautioned me that if I got it done from "outside," they would release the car only after they receive the payment from Bharti. To make the story short, they agreed to do it for Rs 40,000/-. Isn't this a strong case for the Monopolies commission? Anyway, this is celebration time!

As I had dome my homework, I had already bought the Tyvek cover ("D" segment) for Rs 2900 but Reliance Auto Zone, Gurgaon, informs me that they sell it for Rs 2000/-. Used it last night. Very easy to spread and fold. Not a speck of dust or moisture the next morning. There is a strap for securing it against strong wind. Also got the Jopasu duster and microfiber cleaning cloth through ebay for Rs 700/- or so. Came withing a week. Could be faster? Yet to use both. Utsav, however, was fantastic. Ordered the registration plate at 4 p.m. yesterday and it was with me today at about the same time. Excellent quality. I paid Rs 1765/- online. If you don't order the frames, it costs Rs 1225/-.

Much has already been said about the car on this Forum so I may not be able to add anything new. But when I do have something, I'll share it. I agree, the features are endless and amaze me no end. I think I'll keep discovering a feature a day! Drove it to Ropar, a nearby town on the Sutlej. After my 1995 Esteem, I felt I was in the S600 Mercedes that I travelled in from Dusseldorf to London in 2000!

The cars that I had short-listed:

1. BMW 320d CE
2. Passat 1.8 TSI M/T

In the end, I was torn between the BMW and the Superb but went with the latter because:

1. It has a great engine; I any way don't drive too much that I needed a diesel.

2. It has so many more features than the BMW CE; Also had a mind block against the BMW flat-run tyres. BMW Select policy has upteen hidden clauses that nearly made me faint!

Now off to ride the steed in shining brilliant silver!

Last edited by ivar1951 : 8th May 2010 at 18:34.
Old 9th May 2010, 08:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

Let me be the first to congratulate you on your new purchase. No ownership thread is complete without pictures. Also is the A/T with a DSG gearbox?
Old 9th May 2010, 08:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations! Lovely machine that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
No ownership thread is complete without pictures
+1 to that. There may be snaps of Superbs all over the net, but this is your thread and your car! Would still love to see snaps.

Maybe you could open the umbrella and also post a snap of it ! Never seen it in action
Old 9th May 2010, 08:55   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Let me be the first to congratulate you on your new purchase. No ownership thread is complete without pictures. Also is the A/T with a DSG gearbox?
Thanks. Yes, it has 7-gear DSG gearbox. Its value for money as its makes driving very pleasurable and easy. Although I find there is a lag in the initial stages but I cannot be sure as I am getting accustomed to using it. Also, I have to still check it out in bumper-to-bumper Delhi traffic but I am sure that its here it will give the most comfort.

I chose the Superb over the Passat mainly because of the DSG transmisssion. For the manual, I may have gone for the Passat.

The car is the same as seen in photos on this thread. Brilliant Silver. Besides, my phone does not have a camera.
Old 9th May 2010, 11:14   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Congratulations! Lovely machine that.

+1 to that. There may be snaps of Superbs all over the net, but this is your thread and your car! Would still love to see snaps.

Maybe you could open the umbrella and also post a snap of it ! Never seen it in action
I'll try to get my neighbour's son to take the pictures and put them on the Forum or else I'll ask my daughter to do so when she arrives from London in about 10 days.

Took the car for a spin on the Chandigarh lake road today and noticed much less lag as now I was more familiar with the accelerator, etc.

Meanwhile, the 2010 Superb has a shorter antenna like the BMW. The previous one was a quite long. The length of the car is not worrying me contrary to my fears.

The seat adjustment feature is excellent and very easy to use and memorise. Once your preferred position has been memorised, the seat shifts to that position as soon as you open the door. The side mirrors can also be positioned as per the seat position and then memorised.

The number of warning lights/beeps is unbelievable. It will take a while to identify which is for what.

Surprisingly, there is no provision for blue tooth though I'll not really miss it. But its a feature which should have been there.

There is hardly any outside sound -- tyre or wind. What one hears is the a/c air flow.
Old 18th May 2010, 19:15   #6
BHPian

500 k.m. driven

A/C

IMO that the rear a/c is not as effective as it should be. In the front, its excellent even in 43 C. Though Sahil has given a valuable suggestion on another thread on how to improve the a/c effect at the rear, it could be followed only if there is a chauffeur driving the car. When family members are in the front, I don't see one closing the front left and right a/c/ vents to improve rear a/c.

There should also have been a provision for locking the a/c to ensure that the chauffeur does not misuse it while waiting for one.

Audio

The audio system is pretty good. I don't feel the need at all to upgrade. I only miss the remote when I'm in the backseat.

Visuality

This is an issue. The rear visibility could have been better and the front pillars also come in the way.

Other things

Other than that, driving the car is a pleasure at any speed. Braking is excellent and so is the overtaking. It just shoots past other vehicles when you want it to. After a few minutes of starting the engine, one can barely hear it even while standing close to it. So far, I'm getting an FE of 10 k.m. but I have not crossed 100 k.m. yet as it is the run-in period. One can drive at 80 km @1500rpm; 100 k.m. @2000 rpm.

I'm glad that I chose the DSG gear box. I don't even come to know when the car shifts into lower gears. Even when it shifts into higher gears, one notices the shift only in the first three gears.

Plenty of storage. The eye wear compartment could have been slightly bigger though. My sun glasses, which are not very big, don't fit into it.But my reading glasses do. So not too bad. There is a storage compartment even under the steering. Very convenient.

The textile foot mats are of good quality and are washable. Shaking out dust from them is easy. So, I'm not getting any other mats to put on top of them, etc.

The windows have a lovely green tint to them. Very soothing. I'm not getting sun film for the present.

What else? Yes, the ride is excellent. I only get to the hear the slight rumbling of the tyres. Hardly any wind noise.

I have yet to use the car at night. So nothing on the xenons.

I'll try and post the photos as soon as I can.

Used the Jopasu micro fibre cleaning cloth today. An excellent buy. So is the Jopasu duster.

I'm off to Delhi tomorrow and will give more feedback, if any.

Last edited by ivar1951 : 18th May 2010 at 19:18.
Old 18th May 2010, 22:56   #7
BHPian

Congrats on your new buy. It sure is worth every paise, for all those features it offers. Some pics of your new buy would be great!
Old 19th May 2010, 00:34   #8
BHPian

There is storage under the steering?

Dammit now I gotta run down to my parking lot to check where

BTW congrats on your wonderful buy. Did my thread help you in any way? Why did you go for silver? Also, the xenons are WONDERFUL. Will wait for your review after the Delhi trip.
Quote:
One can drive at 80 km @1500rpm; 100 k.m. @2000 rpm.
Thats amazing

Last edited by holysmoke : 19th May 2010 at 00:36.
Old 22nd May 2010, 13:03   #9
BHPian

congrats, excellent buy, does the one you bought have a small roof antenna or long roof antenna
Old 22nd May 2010, 14:14   #10
BHPian

Ivar,

Congratulations on your new purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivar1951 View Post
Cost: Ex-showroom price Rs 19,81,00/-; Insurance Rs 40,000/-; registration Rs 4600/-, including the agent's running-around fee. Total:Rs. 20,25,600/-.
I guess the Ex - showroom price you mentioned above is a typo mistake.
Old 22nd May 2010, 17:55   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram.vns View Post
Ivar,

Congratulations on your new purchase.

I guess the Ex - showroom price you mentioned above is a typo mistake.
Yes, it is. It should read Rs. 19,81,000. Thanks for pointing it out.
Old 22nd May 2010, 17:59   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviral2122 View Post
congrats, excellent buy, does the one you bought have a small roof antenna or long roof antenna
It has the small one. I think Skoda introduced the small antenna with the 2010 model. Its very effective even in the level two basement.

Last edited by ivar1951 : 22nd May 2010 at 18:01.
Old 23rd May 2010, 15:40   #13
BHPian

Here are the photos. They are not very clear and also I don't know how to caption each one.

One of the photos shows the umbrella sticking out of the armrest of the rear left door and another the umbrella itself. The umbrella opens and closes at the press of a button and has Skoda written all over it in very small size.

Another photo shows the lounge step under the front seats. Its for the comfort of the passengers at the rear.

Another photo shows the storage compartment under the steering.
Attached Thumbnails
My silver steed is here -- Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI A/T-img_0125.jpg  

My silver steed is here -- Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI A/T-img_0126.jpg  

My silver steed is here -- Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI A/T-img_0127.jpg  

My silver steed is here -- Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI A/T-img_0128.jpg  

My silver steed is here -- Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI A/T-img_0129.jpg  

My silver steed is here -- Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI A/T-img_0130.jpg  

My silver steed is here -- Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI A/T-img_0131.jpg  

My silver steed is here -- Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI A/T-img_0132.jpg  

My silver steed is here -- Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI A/T-img_0133.jpg  

My silver steed is here -- Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI A/T-img_0134.jpg  

My silver steed is here -- Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI A/T-img_0135.jpg  

My silver steed is here -- Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI A/T-img_0136.jpg  

My silver steed is here -- Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI A/T-img_0138.jpg  

My silver steed is here -- Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI A/T-img_0139.jpg  

My silver steed is here -- Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI A/T-img_0140.jpg  

My silver steed is here -- Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI A/T-img_0141.jpg  

My silver steed is here -- Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI A/T-img_0142.jpg  

My silver steed is here -- Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI A/T-img_0143.jpg  

My silver steed is here -- Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI A/T-img_0144.jpg  

Last edited by ivar1951 : 23rd May 2010 at 15:51.
Old 29th May 2010, 12:44   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by holysmoke View Post
Will wait for your review after the Delhi trip.
Done 1200 k.m. Still in Delhi

The journey from Chandigarh to Delhi, something I always dreaded, was sheer joy in the Superb and partly also because of the vastly improved and widened highway No.1. It was not easy keeping to 100 k.m./h @2000 rpm as the car wanted to surge forward. The car has tremendous pickup, stability and confidence. Have not tried the sports mode yet and will wait till I've covered 2000 k.m. Used the cruise control for about 5 k.m. when I got the chance much to my right foot's relief. The foot rest for the left foot is also a very thoughtful feature. One can also position the steering in such a manner that permits one to rest both arms on the arm rests provided. Very useful for long distance travel.

What knocked me out was the superb FE I got on the highway: 16+ k.m./l. Amazing. I had put in 91 octane at Chandigarh as this is the best available there but switched to 93 octane at Delhi. I drove about 70 k.m. bumper to bumper in Delhi the other day and the average FE was 10 k.m./l. Of course, I have not been pushing the car at all. The DSG is so good in traffic. Worth every penny.

I have to make a special mention of the Park assist feature. It covers corners, front, rear and sides. But for this feature, I would have had a hard time parking in crowded lots like Khan Market, etc. It is even very useful while parking in the basement of my building. Very accurate.

Bought an SD card (Kingston 8GB Class 4) for Rs. 975. I was surprised that even the card sellers were not aware about the "Class" factor in the card. I wanted a Class 6 at least for speedier dowlodading, etc, but on the advice of Navin (ICE section) settled for Class 4 even though he said that Class 2 was adequate for music downloads. Downloaded music from almost all my CDs onto the card via Itune. Had to use a MP3 converter(downloaded from the net) to convert the music on Itune into MP3. Its really convenient to have more than 500 tracks available at the touch of your finger. Goodbye CDs.

Also bought a Eagle 4 leather cleaner which does good work clearing smudges here and there.

Its been 22 days since I filled air in the tyres and there has been no decrease.

One values the features in the boot only when used. It was so easy placing my daughter's big suitcase in it when I went to get her from the airport. The strategically placed hooks in the boot are very useful for hanging shopping bags. This really helps grocery, etc, not scattering all over the boot. I may even go in for the OE boot net available on order from Skoda.

The "coming home and leaving home lights" are a very comforting feature. One does not grope for things in the dark. The car simply lights up all over.

The Xenon lights are superb but I have yet to try them out fully. There is a feature that permits the car to light up the moment it enters a tunnel or a basement.

The people at Krishna Auto, Chandigarh, have so far been responsive and have answered all my telephonic queries regarding how to operate the numerous features. BTW, the Superb may soon get the blue tooth!

Although it is too early to say but I think I've made the right choice in going for the Superb instead of the stripped down BMW 320d CE. Yes, also over the Passat 1.8 TFSI M/T. Its Superb all the way.
Old 30th May 2010, 15:15   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your buy. The extent of features on this car looks amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivar1951 View Post
Cost: Ex-showroom price Rs 19,81,000/-; Insurance Rs 40,000/-; registration Rs 4600/-, including the agent's running-around fee. Total:Rs. 20,25,600/-.
How much is the road tax in Chandigarh?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks