Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2010, 12:02   #526
BHPian

I had tried starting a thread for figo fuel efficiency. Unfortunately the rules of the forum don't permit threads which talks about fuel efficiency of just specific vehicles. There is common FE thread where the mileages are discussed for all vehicles.
Old 3rd June 2010, 15:39   #527
BHPian

There are so many parameters for F.E - that to pin down a specific figure would be doing injustice to the brand.

And keeping F.E as the only buying consideration, would also be unfair to the Ford Figo. That is plain ignorance.

Its like writing off a Ferrari as bad because of low F.E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superveloce View Post
Its just a thought, no pressure buddy, also if someone has already tried this then please ignore.
Old 3rd June 2010, 16:04   #528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brix View Post
There are so many parameters for F.E - that to pin down a specific figure would be doing injustice to the brand.

And keeping F.E as the only buying consideration, would also be unfair to the Ford Figo. That is plain ignorance.

If you are driving the TDCi, then its manageable, but if it's the 1.2 then you are in trouble. 10kmpl with Shell in Bangalore city is sedan territory. Further, its not exactly a hoot to drive, though the steering feedback is excellent, the engine is neither here nor there.The Figo is a VFM product, no two ways about it, but in the segment where it is slotted, people tend to be more FE conscious.
Old 3rd June 2010, 17:21   #529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey gemi,
Is it possible for all the 'figonians' to collectively record their mileage in a single thread, (either a new thread or the testdrive thread)? If it could be done it would help resolve this debate, and also help draw some kind of concrete conclusion.
Hope you got your answer here below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
I had tried starting a thread for figo fuel efficiency. Unfortunately the rules of the forum don't permit threads which talks about fuel efficiency of just specific vehicles. There is common FE thread where the mileages are discussed for all vehicles.
Quote:

Very true. When people said my Fiat Adventure 1.6 was not fuel efficient i usually just gave them a smile. For me 8-9.5 in city and 13-14 on highways from a 100BHP 1.2 ton monster was a good enough figure. Add on the Grin n your face when you take her out on a highway drive and its much more than perfect.

But when i am talking of a small hatch i guess F.E is a major consideration. The TDCi has been delivering good F.E in the Fiesta's. Ford Dealers have promoted the 20km/l funda so much to Figo customers that their expectations are high. AS long horn said maybe its manageable when its diesel (only if you are willing to ignore the close to 1L extra that you paid))

But for the guys who get the petrol
Do they get sheer performance that the 1.6 Ford Engine gives? - No!!
Do they get a very smooth engine with so much low end torque like the FIAT 1.6 engine? Again No!!
Do they get a very fast and thrilling car? - Again No!!
Do they get much better fuel efficiency figures? - well I dont know for sure but what i know is that its a 'No'!!

No hard feeling to Figo 1.2 owners. The car is really great value for money product. The feature-price ratio is just too good to ignore especially in this market dominated by brands that skimp at every chance they get. The engine has got a very good mid range. But just like you wont decide to "not buy" a Ferrari due to its F.E, "dont buy" the Figo for its F.E and you wont be let down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
10kmpl with Shell in Bangalore city is sedan territory. Further, its not exactly a hoot to drive, though the steering feedback is excellent, the engine is neither here nor there.The Figo is a VFM product, no two ways about it, but in the segment where it is slotted, people tend to be more FE conscious.
Fully agree with you on those. I believe its time to bring back the 1.4 Ford Engine. (Anybody knows why the heck it was discontinued??!!)

Last edited by gemithomas : 3rd June 2010 at 17:25.
Old 3rd June 2010, 18:06   #530
BHPian

Quote:
that is defnitley not ignorance..

the EMI ( 5years)for 1.2EXI comes to around Rs.6500 with 20% downpayment.

and for someone with a monthly usage of 750KM his monthly fuel bill
will be around Rs.3900!!!
Would anyone who wants a budget hatch like his fuel bill to be
as high as 60% of his EMI?
and this percentage will almost become equal to his EMI on the 5th year
if you take fuel price inflation at 8%
Old 3rd June 2010, 18:10   #531
Senior - BHPian

Could not agree more. I have a Zen with city mileage of 9Kmpl. The monthly fuel expense is around 4000-4500 . Hopefully my upcoming Polo will give me a little relief.
Old 4th June 2010, 00:02   #532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
But when i am talking of a small hatch i guess F.E is a major consideration. The TDCi has been delivering good F.E in the Fiesta's. Ford Dealers have promoted the 20km/l funda so much to Figo customers that their expectations are high. AS long horn said maybe its manageable when its diesel (only if you are willing to ignore the close to 1L extra that you paid))
gemi
Following your thread for quite a while now and it seems that your FE figures have not shown any improvement. Judging by your comments you seem to come across as short changed by Ford. Since i'm buying diesel EXi myself and the FE figures for the Figo are up-in-the-air, it would be interesting to know your thoughts, whether you regret your decision or will look to ways to improve your FE or anything else i may have missed.
Old 4th June 2010, 01:27   #533
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Could not agree more. I have a Zen with city mileage of 9Kmpl. The monthly fuel expense is around 4000-4500 . Hopefully my upcoming Polo will give me a little relief.
A Zen which has lower displacement than the Figo petrol, and also weighs in at much less gives just 9kmpl in city driving, as per the owner's comment above. And people wonder why the Figo returns low figures, that too with high A/C usage?

Poloman, thanks for the honest mileage returned by your Zen which you provided.

I really would like to hear from Fiesta D owners who have been getting 20kmpl mileage figures for mix of city and highway driving. IMHO, 20 and 20+ mileage figures are only possible for sedate highway driving conditions. I would love to be corrected in case i am incorrect.
Old 4th June 2010, 09:28   #534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
that is defnitley not ignorance..
the EMI ( 5years)for 1.2EXI comes to around Rs.6500 with 20% downpayment.
and for someone with a monthly usage of 750KM his monthly fuel bill
will be around Rs.3900!!!
Exactly what i had in mind.

Quote:
Oh! my god. So i find someone like me. I've always heard of zen giving figures over 18-20 but i have driven 3 different zens for quite some time and i could get only around 11-12 in city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodore View Post
gemi
Following your thread for quite a while now and it seems that your FE figures have not shown any improvement. Judging by your comments you seem to come across as short changed by Ford. Since i'm buying diesel EXi myself and the FE figures for the Figo are up-in-the-air, it would be interesting to know your thoughts, whether you regret your decision or will look to ways to improve your FE or anything else i may have missed.
Commodore, the Figo is the best Value For Money Hatch you can buy in the Market at this point of time. It just gives you a lot more at that price than any other car out there now. But the human mind is so bad that it always expects more.

If you check my FE posts, i think i have been getting just above 13 km/l in full city driving with a/c. I was expecting a minimum of 14km/l whatever i do so 1km/l lower is psychologically disturbing but not upto a point that makes me regret my decision. I still think it should settle to 14km/l after around 10K on the ODO when the engine has fully run-in. But with people claiming 15-16 in city i was just wondering if i am doing something wrong. Thats why i have been discussing so much about F.E (I think i've mentioned this many times earlier)

I'm very satisfied with the car except for the way the bumper behaves and i think a slightly better ground clearance would have helped in a more stress free driving on bad roads/bumps. The F.E thing is not bad enough to make me regret my decision but its just quite tempting when you hear figures of 16 in city.

Here is what i suggest once you own your Figo. Every time you feel bad about something. Just look around at the other hatches moving around you. Guess what they paid and what they got. And then look at what you are driving. You would surely have a

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I really would like to hear from Fiesta D owners who have been getting 20kmpl mileage figures for mix of city and highway driving. IMHO, 20 and 20+ mileage figures are only possible for sedate highway driving conditions. I would love to be corrected in case i am incorrect.
Me too.

Last edited by gemithomas : 4th June 2010 at 09:31.
Old 4th June 2010, 09:37   #535
Senior - BHPian

Benny and Gemi, My Zen is 17 year old war horse.So a comparison with a modern car like Figo may not hold good. Also don't forget he is a tiger on highways and returns a mileage of 18kmpl.
Old 4th June 2010, 12:22   #536
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Benny and Gemi, My Zen is 17 year old war horse.So a comparison with a modern car like Figo may not hold good. Also don't forget he is a tiger on highways and returns a mileage of 18kmpl.
Poloman, a warhorse it may be, but would still be sprightly for sure.

Actually what works against the Figo is the weight, which also helps in the balanced non-floaty feel on highways. It has to take a cut somewhere, so the FE wont be able to match the standards of lighter hatches.
Old 4th June 2010, 13:16   #537
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Hatchbacks have to be peppy or fuel efficient or both. If it fails in both of these parameters, then it will have its natural death. I forsee Figo petrol will take this route if Ford keeps mum without looking into this.
Old 4th June 2010, 18:53   #538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Here is what i suggest once you own your Figo. Every time you feel bad about something. Just look around at the other hatches moving around you. Guess what they paid and what they got. And then look at what you are driving. You would surely have a
Touche'. I did consider the poorer city FE of the diesel and still decided to book the Figo solely because of the same reason you mention above
Old 5th June 2010, 18:25   #539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey gemi,
I dont own a figo but i have been silently observing this figo mileage debate go on and on. Is it possible for all the 'figonians' to collectively record their mileage in a single thread,
Guess What. Your wish has just been Granted!!!

(Have tried to include details of all who have reported City/Highway Figures. Sorry if i have left out anyone. Others please post/PM your highway/city F.E figures so that we could update this.)

Here are the Highway/City Mileage Figures of Figo owners on Team-BHP.
Attached Thumbnails
Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher - The Ford Figo TDCi. 110,000 km update!-fe.jpg  

Last edited by gemithomas : 5th June 2010 at 18:28.
Old 5th June 2010, 19:13   #540
Senior - BHPian

Hi Gemi,

Thanks for that tabulation.

Over 47kms out of which 31kms was a run more on SH11 and the remaining in town. I could fill only 1.97L giving me 23.86kpl. I am not sure whether I should take that figure on face value.

But a Tirunelveli trip (2 of us) gave a 18.86kpl (396km) over the up journey and 14.76kpl (223km) for the down journey.

Filling to the brim could be inconsistent and I am still not sure whether we can really trust the quantity dispensed.

My travel through the Western Ghats has impressed me with the handling and pulling. But in contrast to the Manza, this thing definitely has a problem in uphill in higher gears. That and the gearing to reduce the turbo lag is pulling down the efficiency.

I just don't have enough personal experience with the Fiesta to comment on it.

The maximum I would expect in only Alleppey town runs would be 10kpl.

With my daughter's school reopening next week and her tuition classes, let me try and make a comparison between the Manza and Figo for town / highway runs.

The Manza is not a bad handler either from my experience with a trip to Kannur.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks