Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2010, 01:32   #736
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vignesh_ny View Post
Another drawback that I read in the forums,

1. The car jerks at the switch on of Air conditioner compressor mid journey.

I read its more pronounced on the petrol versions. Does it happen on the diesel too?Hope Gemi can clarify.

Is the GC really low and affects day to day highway driving or does it only happen on full load.

Hope you can clarify.
The car indeed jerks while the AC kicks in. But you notice it only when you are stationary, like for example while waiting at a traffic signal. Initially you would pass an ugly stare at the biker waiting next to you thinking he nudged your car, but then realize it's your own compressor

But honestly, it's not at all annoying and you never notice it while in motion.
Just be proud that your car has an AC compressor big enough to rock the whole car
Old 15th November 2010, 21:27   #737
BHPian

My alto used to give a good heave when the AC was turned on. But I have noticed any such jerk in Figo(diesel). Very smooth.
Old 16th November 2010, 07:58   #738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Points noted, but anyway one knows these right from the day one that he buys the car. Are there any negative points that you have come across say after completing 12K that a potential users has to make note of..
Just for the sake of a list. I'll put down some. But i dont find t as a real issue since i knew about most of things before i decided
  • Flimsy Bumpers.
  • Headlights not adequate for night driving.
  • Very subdued looks. On coming traffic does not expect you to do what you might do especially with the TDCi
  • Fitting of Fog lamps need removing of bumper and a few things in the engine compartment.
  • Rear Wiper is a necessity on highways on rains. My Bad i did not go for the zxi.
  • Noisy engine especially from outside at idle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raju2512 View Post
My experience is different. A week back a motor cyclist banged from behind while stopping at a signal. The thud was loud and the fellow fell down ( luckily no injuries) .But there was no dent whatsoever on the bumper and all I could see was the tyre impression on the bumper which went off after a wash. A few very minor scratches only are seen. Any other car, there would have been a big dent.

The bumper looks flimsy but it has been built with high quality plastics which absorb the energy well.
You are just lucky that the biker hit at the exact spot and speed that Ford engineers probably thought of while designing the flimsy bumpers. Doesnt happen always

Quote:
Originally Posted by vignesh_ny View Post
Another drawback that I read in the forums,

1. The car jerks at the switch on of Air conditioner compressor mid journey.

I read its more pronounced on the petrol versions. Does it happen on the diesel too?Hope Gemi can clarify.

Is the GC really low and affects day to day highway driving or does it only happen on full load.

Hope you can clarify.
Jerks come only if you are idling for long. I used to notice it when the car was new. Now i rarely notice it. Not sure if the engine has grown up to handle the a/c compressor or if i have got used to the Jerk!

GC is a big problem if you are anything below 28-29 psi of air pressure. 30 and above its an issue only if you miss spotting any bump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
The car indeed jerks while the AC kicks in. But you notice it only when you are stationary, like for example while waiting at a traffic signal. Initially you would pass an ugly stare at the biker waiting next to you thinking he nudged your car, but then realize it's your own compressor

But honestly, it's not at all annoying and you never notice it while in motion.
Just be proud that your car has an AC compressor big enough to rock the whole car
SPOT ON.
Old 16th November 2010, 22:17   #739
RGK
Senior - BHPian

To avoid scrapping, better take a diagonal cross at any bump, you will never scrap even at low psi's. As said by all - a/c is top class... so no complaints about compressor taking on..
Old 16th November 2010, 22:23   #740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Just for the sake of a list. I'll put down some. But i dont find t as a real issue since i knew about most of things before i decided
  • Flimsy Bumpers.
  • Headlights not adequate for night driving.
  • Very subdued looks. On coming traffic does not expect you to do what you might do especially with the TDCi
  • Fitting of Fog lamps need removing of bumper and a few things in the engine compartment.
  • Rear Wiper is a necessity on highways on rains. My Bad i did not go for the zxi.
  • Noisy engine especially from outside at idle.

I find the bumpers to be quiet good. My cousin car was rear ended like 3-4 times at the speeds of 20-40 and nothing happened to the rear bumper. No locks were broken, just a few scratches. Initially even i found the bumpers to be flimsy but they are holding pretty well.

The car has now completed 12k KM and now days with just 20% AC the FE is around 20+. Hes really happy with the purchase.
Old 25th November 2010, 17:13   #741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
I find the bumpers to be quiet good. My cousin car was rear ended like 3-4 times at the speeds of 20-40 and nothing happened to the rear bumper. No locks were broken, just a few scratches. Initially even i found the bumpers to be flimsy but they are holding pretty well.

The car has now completed 12k KM and now days with just 20% AC the FE is around 20+. Hes really happy with the purchase.
The bumper really flexes, taking the load!
Old 1st January 2011, 23:18   #742
Senior - BHPian

Re: Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher - The Figo TDCi. EDIT: 10,000 km upd

Today after giving the Figo a wash i just thought of opening up the bonnet and having a look at the engine. During my casual touching and checking of things i found the air filter pipe shaking a bit too much than it should have been. Further inspection showed that the pipe was loose from where it was supposed to go in behind the engine. Could not reach that place easily but managed to push it back in with some effort.

I now think that this could be the reason the turbo seemed to be spooling up a little late over the last 1-2 weeks and maybe thats also why i managed to kill the engine atleast thrice while trying to accelerate from slow speeds.

Guys. I am not sure if this is a design flaw but i think many Figo's out there might be running with loose air intake's. Will try to post some pics soon.

PS: Maybe its the same thing that RGK mentioned but thought it was a bad job by the service guys.

.........and yes.A 16K update is just around the corner.
Old 7th January 2011, 13:21   #743
Senior - BHPian

Here is the picture of the air intake pipe that takes in air through the air filter.

The place where i have written "Air Filter Pipe" is the place where you can hold and try to shake. If the pipe is well connected it should not shake abnormally IN my case the pipe was shaking abnormally and further check made it clear that the pipe was out of place at the place marked with a circle.

This place is hard to reach with your hand but i somehow managed to push it back into where it leads the air into the engine compartment.

With the pipe removed i think dirty air was being sucked into the engine without proper filtration.

Why i said its a design fault is that i cant actually see any clips / locks to hold the intake pipe in place at the location marked in the circle. Its just a "push in" job where one pipe slides into another.

If RGK could comment on if it was the same part he found loose on his car we could probably understand better if it could be happening on more figo's.

Would be good if we all check this pipe on our cars and report if anyone else has had the same issue or if its is just one or two instances.
Attached Images

Last edited by gemithomas : 7th January 2011 at 13:33.
Old 7th January 2011, 18:15   #744
BHPian

Re: Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher - The Figo TDCi. EDIT: 10,000 km upd

Hi Gemi,

I checked mine after your post and found that the air intake pipe is well intact. Thankfully there are no abnormal shakes anywhere in that area, though the squeak bug has bitten my Figo too since the past 200 Kms or so. It's coming from the rear left side. I listen to the ICE all the time, and that too metal songs , hence it has not started bothering me that much, but nonetheless need to get it checked at the A.S.S sometime soon.

Cheers!
Old 7th January 2011, 18:19   #745
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Spot on Gemi... This is where exactly the Air duct (service centre language !!) comes out of the engine.
Your photo is very clear. I dont know why it makes a "left turn" from the left fender and a " below u turn" and then a "left turn" and connects to the inlet of the engine. I could not why the air pipe was designed like this (may be multiple filtering???!!!).
But for me it did not come out suddenly.This happened immediately after my Injector replacement service. There was a notable sound difference in the engine noise like burr,burr as the air intake was coming from many sides. I thought they might have removed the exhaust pipe and did not fixed properly as the sound resembled as if the exhaust pipe is leaking.
After driving for some days during a morning I opened and found this. I pushed this inside (as you say it is not so easy) and it gets locked - may be a step and groove like parker pen closing.
When enquired with SC, is there any round clip to be put or tightened, they said " no sir, it is only push and lock".

Did you notice the engine noise difference during that time.
How did it happen? Did you do give for any service or drove in very poor roads with more bumps making this pipe to come out?

I think generally there wont be any major harm except the sound difference, but the risk is if a cloth (I keep one near the battery to check oil) gets inside the engine - Engine pickup goes for a toss..

If other Figo owners can comment, it would be easy to come to a conclusion whether this is another bug in the car or a 1 or 2 instances...
I have notified this to the SC to check this. I can check and update after I get my car tomorrow.
Old 7th January 2011, 18:33   #746
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Gemi,

I checked mine after your post and found that the air intake pipe is well intact. Thankfully there are no abnormal shakes anywhere in that area, though the squeak bug has bitten my Figo too since the past 200 Kms or so. It's coming from the rear left side. I listen to the ICE all the time, and that too metal songs , hence it has not started bothering me that much, but nonetheless need to get it checked at the A.S.S sometime soon.

Cheers!

Welcome to the club, soon you will have to find a wall to hit your head against!!

Can we mass sue ford or something? I am seriously asking, I HATE that sound!!!!
Old 7th January 2011, 22:03   #747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Spot on Gemi... This is where exactly the Air duct (service centre language !!) comes out of the engine.
Your photo is very clear. I dont know why it makes a "left turn" from the left fender and a " below u turn" and then a "left turn" and connects to the inlet of the engine. I could not why the air pipe was designed like this (may be multiple filtering???!!!).
But for me it did not come out suddenly.This happened immediately after my Injector replacement service. There was a notable sound difference in the engine noise like burr,burr as the air intake was coming from many sides. I thought they might have removed the exhaust pipe and did not fixed properly as the sound resembled as if the exhaust pipe is leaking.
After driving for some days during a morning I opened and found this. I pushed this inside (as you say it is not so easy) and it gets locked - may be a step and groove like parker pen closing.
When enquired with SC, is there any round clip to be put or tightened, they said " no sir, it is only push and lock".

How did it happen? Did you do give for any service or drove in very poor roads with more bumps making this pipe to come out?

I think generally there wont be any major harm except the sound difference, but the risk is if a cloth (I keep one near the battery to check oil) gets inside the engine - Engine pickup goes for a toss..

If other Figo owners can comment, it would be easy to come to a conclusion whether this is another bug in the car or a 1 or 2 instances...
I have notified this to the SC to check this. I can check and update after I get my car tomorrow.
I just checked the same in my car. Everything seems to be in place. Nothing is lose.
Regarding the air filter duct wont this harm the engine? As the air is being sucked in without going through the air filter all the dirt and dust goes directly to the engine?

I wouldn't go that far to call this a bug. This could be because of incompetent service people at the A.S.S ?

anilisanil,
Didn't you get the TSB done at ford? Your car was fixed once before for the rear squeak?

Last edited by Captain Slow : 7th January 2011 at 22:11.
Old 7th January 2011, 22:07   #748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
anilisanil,
Didn't you get the TSB done at ford? Your car was fixed once before for the rear squeak?
yes, it was done, but the squeaks keep resurfacing, the longest hibernation was for a month!!
Old 8th January 2011, 11:42   #749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Gemi,

Cheers!
If its not from the plastic cladding for the c pillar it would be fron under the car. I have posted pics of the place that gives this sound and how to solve it. If you dont want to get your hands dirty you could try any car wash centre. Just get them to put some generous amount of grease there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post

Very true. The number of turns and twists that it take makes me think what this thing is doing. I always thought it was best to have minimum turns in both intake and exhaust pipes. Not sure why ford choose such a design.

I'm not very sure about the sound thing but the engine was feeling much more rougher and there was some power loss especially at low rpm's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Welcome to the club, soon you will have to find a wall to hit your head against!!

Can we mass sue ford or something? I am seriously asking, I HATE that sound!!!!
Its only when you get rid of that sound that you would realize how irritating it had been

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
I just checked the same in my car. Everything seems to be in place. Nothing is lose.
Regarding the air filter duct wont this harm the engine? As the air is being sucked in without going through the air filter all the dirt and dust goes directly to the engine?

I wouldn't go that far to call this a bug. This could be because of incompetent service people at the A.S.S ?

anilisanil,
Do you know where the Air Filter is placed? Is it at the beginning of this pipe or after this pipe enters the engine bay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
yes, it was done, but the squeaks keep resurfacing, the longest hibernation was for a month!!
Are you sure its from the plastic cladding for c pillar or is it from under?
Old 11th January 2011, 12:47   #750
Senior - BHPian

16161 KM Update

You think you could save money with a Diesel Car? Well... i also thought so nine months back

My earlier Fiat Adventure had done 40K km in 3 years and i had visited almost every necessary place i needed to. That translates to around 1100km per month. My Figo TDCi has now done over 16K in just 9 months.
Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher - The Ford Figo TDCi. 110,000 km update!-image0000-small.jpg

And that translates to close to 1800km per month!!! AM i really saving money...? Not at all. But am i happy every time i fill my tank at a petrol bunk...You Bet!!!

I still loose a heartbeat every time i see a Grande Punto (especially in white and red). Thats one car that i really miss owning. My basic criteria of not wanting my car to take away my peace of mind every time i had to visit the service centre played villain and i was forced to not include the Punto in my final list. Nine months down the line did the Figo really meet my basic criteria of Peace of Mind? Lets see...

My First service was an unscheduled one. I had planned a long trip and was planning to give the car for service the day before. Kerala politics decided to foul my plans with a Hartal. I had to request Ford A.S.S to take my car in on an emergency case since i would have run more than the prescribed km if i was to service the car after the trip. Ford took a sweet 8-9 hrs for just an oil change.

My second service took just under 2 hours since i had booked earlier. IT was a great experience and they corrected my headlight focus even without me asking them to. Its only after that that i realised Figo lights could give that kind of spread/reach. The bulbs are not powerful enough for night drives on highways but still its far better.

About Ford A.S.S. I have a mixed feeling leaning slightly more towards the positive side. There are some really helpful people but some minor issues are yet unattended (probably since its a first of its kind vehicle from Ford India). My headlight stalk still has a minor issue. The brakes still make a nasty and scary noise every now and then (especially at slow speeds)

Mileage has almost settled at an average of around 14-15 km/l. I really don't get pure highway conditions nor the in-city bumper to bumper traffic. Daily runs are short trips where the engine just touches optimum temperature when i reach my office. F.E touches 15 if i maintain tyre pressure around 30-32 and around 14 when i keep it around 28 (which is more comfortable on the bad roads i do). I think thats good mileage for the kind of running which i do.

Things i love are the music system that give excellent sound quality with decent punch. Its the best OEM in built system in any close range. The lance change indicator is just lovely and i find it really difficult driving cars without this feature. To me the rear seats are more comfortable than the front ones. It give you a big car feel.

Things i hate include the things i always cry about. The bumpers and the Headlights!! Another thing is the rear headrests. Thats the only one thing that spoils the otherwise very good rear seat experience. Ford could surely have given us better headrests and that would surely have made this one of the best rear seats in the hatch back segment (after the Chevy U-Va of course)

Back to the basic question of peace of mind. Well... its not that its been a very smooth run. There have been minor irritants like rattles and brake noise and headlight levers that have issues and rear windows that roll down (solved during service). But to be frank. It has not bothered me much psychologically. I'm sure i would have immediately wanted to get rid of any minor issue if i had got the Punto. But the Figo gives me the feeling of a very practical value for money hatch. I think its that feeling that translates to more peace of mind even if there are such very minor irritants. (Now i have sort of started understanding why most of Maruti customers are among the not so worried lot) Yes. This car does Fit perfectly to my set criteria while buying a car. Peace of Mind. Value for Money. Drivers Car.

Last edited by gemithomas : 11th January 2011 at 12:51.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks