Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2009, 19:05   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Superb(Type II) 1.8 TSi

Another European joins the family, this time it's a Skoda ! I could picture a Skoda in my garage for all these years, I regarded them as good cars overall but I am still not sure if it was the brand image or design or A.S.S that kept me away from them.
Before we got the 525d, I did TD the new Camry and previous superb because BMW was taking too damn long to launch. I always admired the Superb for it's space,features,etc but I wasn't very happy with the previous one, something just kept me from signing on the dotted line. So we decided to wait for the 5 series (and I am glad we did)
Got rid of my Accord earlier this year and TD the new Accord which just didn't appeal to me, hence got the Altis instead as a "safe" buy until something better came along as the Accord's replacement. Then came the new Superb, which completely blew my mind with it's reviews some international mags pitted it against the Bentley flying spur and claimed the Skoda offered more space and comfort! The Indian mags raved about the petrol engine and the cars features. So I decided to take a test drive to see what the fuss is about, after which there was no looking back, as my father says "The Superb is really Superb!"

Dealer experience:
Called all the dealers in Mumbai, none were ready to give the car for another 3 months. Then JMD came to the rescue, promised to give delivery in 3 weeks. I had my doubts hence did a constant follow up but at the end the car arrived dot on the day promised, kudos to JMD for that. I wasn't too happy with the showrooms "rule" to get insurance and registration done compulsorily via them, although they did manage to match the insurance rates I got .

Exteriors:
The car looks massive, it's hard to believe that it is actually a little shorter than the Accord. White adds to it's grand-ness, it is a pretty damn good looking car, especially the front end. The alloys could have been a little better design and size but that also would hamper the ride.
The adaptive headlight feature is really good, the xenons turn in the direction you point the wheel and also it's respective side's fog lamps turn on to enhance visibility.
The xenon's do a brief light show for you on start up to add to it's omph factor !

Interiors:
Unbeatable to say the least, I'll let the pictures do the talking. But you gotta sit in it to really experience it.
The ICE is superb too, I'm loving the SD card feature which makes transfering music to the car a breeze. The touchscreen provide utility and adds to the "cool factor" The sound quality is probably one of the best OE fitments in an Indian car.
The techo and speedo do a touchdown on start up (0 to 270 in 1 second) pics attached

Ride/Drive:
The car does take a little time to get used to, the right side rear view mirror is a little too concave and creates major blind spots! Left side gives a perfect view, quite unusual!
There is a bit of a lag which takes sometime to get used to, I am not sure if its turbo lag or DSG delay but it's evident only in bumper to bumper traffic.
I have kept it strictly below 3000rpm but my right foot gets a itch that this pedal means some serious business! Will tap it's true power after break-in and report.
The gear changes are precise to the core and the pedals have sharp responses, gear box is much better than the BMW.
The suspension is really good, I read about it's stiffness in some reviews but I beg to differ. I was almost convinced to upgrade to 17inchers but I am in love with smooth ride to give it up now.
I was also almost convinced that 205 thread width is waaay too small for this car, got qoutes from dealers to exchange them for 225s but a few sharp turns convinced me not to upgrade. True to it's name the car does feel very solid and safe.

The car has features that put my 5 series to shame, leave alone the Accord that feel huuuugely over priced in comparision. That being said I am a little apprehensive about the A.S.S, will keeping a close eye on service visits.
Attached Thumbnails
Superb(Type II) 1.8 TSi-img_0124.jpg  

Superb(Type II) 1.8 TSi-img_0125.jpg  

Superb(Type II) 1.8 TSi-img_0126.jpg  

Superb(Type II) 1.8 TSi-img_0127.jpg  

Superb(Type II) 1.8 TSi-img_0132.jpg  

Sahil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2009, 19:11   #2
BHPian

Congrats Sahil, the car looks fantastic in white. The space inside is grand, just look at that back seat leg room, brillent. Enjoy the ride and keep up us posted as it clocks those miles.
Old 7th August 2009, 19:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Sahil.
I have seen Skoda Superb in my city and this car does look huge. The long doors ( relatively ) i.e. the long cabin part makes me believe so IMHO. This car has got a lot of space and let me admit, it exudes good street presence too. Accord seems a car with different character than Superb. The car is really Superb but its just A.S & S. that matters, however, as you are located in mumbai, it will not be a big problem as there will more than one dealer to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Ride/Drive:
The car does take a little time to get used to, the right side rear view mirror is a little too concave and creates major blind spots! Left side gives a perfect view, quite unusual!
This is basically the Euro set up that is not changed for India. This is something you dont want when you are doing high speeds and planning to overtake or let somebody pass. This hampers the judgement and anticipation.
Old 7th August 2009, 19:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Sahil.

So when are you buying the second Superb ?
Old 7th August 2009, 19:41   #5
BHPian

Congrats Sahil, thats a stunning beauty u got. Wish u many happy miles!

a suggestion though - get a beige carpet made instead of those al cheapo floor mats.
Old 7th August 2009, 19:44   #6
BHPian

Congrats Sahil.
Just today, while driving back, I was totally stunned by a white superb and was thinking why nobody has bought one in T-BHP. So here I come and see you getting one.
I was already blown away by the superb back and extra long side profile, but now seeing interiors, I'm speechless.
Old 7th August 2009, 20:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

Looks good!! Congrats buddy! Here's wishing you miles and miles of safe driving, and hopefully a 'trouble free' time with Skoda!
Old 7th August 2009, 20:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

congrats Sahil! She's really a beauty, looking forward to reviews and pics!

cheers
Old 7th August 2009, 20:31   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Sahil. How about some more pics in better lighting? Especially exteriors
By the way, perhaps you can get another mirror made for the right side so there are no blind spots. Shouldn't be to hard right?

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 7th August 2009 at 20:33.
Old 7th August 2009, 20:42   #10
Senior - BHPian

Didnt knew I would say this about a 2 million rupee car but the new Superb is a superb value for money. Congrats on the aquisition.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 7th August 2009 at 20:49.
Old 7th August 2009, 20:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Didnt knew I would say this about a 20 million rupee car but the new Superb is a superb value for money. Congrats on the aquisition.
extreme bhai,
I guess its a 2 million rupee car
Old 7th August 2009, 20:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

My fav car this side of 30lacs now; for its looks and specs. Saw it being driven the way it should be one day and that made me give it more marks.

White and maroon looks great. Congrats Sahil.
Old 7th August 2009, 21:03   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Congrats Sahil. How about some more pics in better lighting? Especially exteriors
By the way, perhaps you can get another mirror made for the right side so there are no blind spots. Shouldn't be to hard right?
Tints will be put tomo, will post better pics then.
I have never heard of custom mirrors being made, if some has got this done in Mumbai do let me know.
I hope Skoda realizes this and replaces it soon.
Old 7th August 2009, 21:20   #14
BHPian

Congrats Sahil. Superb is indeed a great looking car. Hardly get to see one on road. Glad to see one on TBHP. White anyday gives it a classy look
So what is coming next after the Superb ?

Zteg
Old 7th August 2009, 21:22   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new purchase. I had the opportunity to sit on one of these and the only thing that put me off was the rear tail lights design but other then that it is way too good to let go. Can you tell me about the interior sensor switch just right of the driver seat between the two doors. The guy whose car it was had no idea.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks