Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2010, 12:08   #316
Distinguished - BHPian

The reverse gear engage problem seems to be resolved. Tested it a few times today, and works just fine - though not quite as smooth as the other gears. Seems to be an adjustment issue.

Had what I thought was a puncture, and headed over to Tyre Professionals. A quick check showed a small leak off the rim. Tyre was reseated on the alloy .. hopefully solved. @Nikhilb2008 - thanks, quick work by the guys.
Old 26th June 2010, 13:51   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The reverse gear engage problem seems to be resolved. Tested it a few times today, and works just fine - though not quite as smooth as the other gears. Seems to be an adjustment issue.
Looks like this is a generic issue with Ford's gearboxes. I keep having this issue off and on my Ikon 1.6 for the past 3-4 years. Vanishes after a service and then surfaces sporadically. I seem to be having a similar issue on my Ford Figo as well now. Sometimes it takes two attempts to get into reverse gear.
Old 6th July 2010, 18:12   #318
Distinguished - BHPian

And I did have a puncture. A nice 1" screw in the tyre. I had asked Lathangi not to do a WR, but they did. The faulty tyre went to another location, and I went after the tyre in the position where the faulty one was initially. So the guys at Tyre Professionals checked the (good) tyre that I had asked them to check.

FE seems to have dropped quite a bit. Needs to be followed up.
Old 10th July 2010, 07:57   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Looks like this is a generic issue with Ford's gearboxes. I keep having this issue off and on my Ikon 1.6 for the past 3-4 years. Vanishes after a service and then surfaces sporadically. I seem to be having a similar issue on my Ford Figo as well now. Sometimes it takes two attempts to get into reverse gear
I do have the same problem on my ikon TDCi as well .Sometimes it wont engage.Normally it works fine .As condor said reverse gear is not that as easy and smooth as other gears.
Old 18th July 2010, 08:41   #320
Distinguished - BHPian

Flimsy Plastics

Have been working on the interior lighting (roof mount) and had opened the front row roof mounted cabin light a couple of times. This thing is very easy to remove, since it is held by a simple folder metal strip. But this is what has happened.

Duratorq-in' with Josh: Ford Ikon TDCi * 4 years 7 months/43,941 km & Letting Go :(-ikon-flimsylamp1.jpg

Duratorq-in' with Josh: Ford Ikon TDCi * 4 years 7 months/43,941 km & Letting Go :(-ikon-flimsylamp2.jpg

Damage : Rs 700/-
(Again, far more expensive than the much sturdier parts that the Tata vehicles have)

Thought I'll repair it, but the flat copper pieces that you see in the second pic are not integrated into the switch, and have fallen off now. The crack is such that it cannot be glued back.

Quote:
condor : The reverse gear engage problem seems to be resolved.
Or so I had thought. The reverse gear seems to be going back it's old ways :(
Old 18th July 2010, 23:47   #321
Distinguished - BHPian

Rear Seat Roof-lamp unit : a DIY

So here's another TATA part that goes into my Ikon : the roof lamp from the Safari.

Why Safari ? This particular lamp is available in Beige color, to match the interiors of the Ikon. Also, the shape of this one is suitable. I had to fabricate a mdf board mounting as a base, which is now covered in the beige color carpet fabric (the same fabric I used for my rear speaker base).

The unit is mounted to the metal bracket inside the rear high mount brake lamp. The wires are in parallel to the wires that connect the front row roof mount lamp. This way, I can use the lamp with the same functionality as the stock unit that's on the front row.

Duratorq-in' with Josh: Ford Ikon TDCi * 4 years 7 months/43,941 km & Letting Go :(-ikonrearrooflamp.jpg

And a close-up:

Duratorq-in' with Josh: Ford Ikon TDCi * 4 years 7 months/43,941 km & Letting Go :(-ikonrearrooflamp1.jpg

And this is the output at night. I have used a LED lamp, and it lights up very well, though biased to the center.

Duratorq-in' with Josh: Ford Ikon TDCi * 4 years 7 months/43,941 km & Letting Go :(-ikonrearrooflamp2.jpg

Duratorq-in' with Josh: Ford Ikon TDCi * 4 years 7 months/43,941 km & Letting Go :(-ikonrearrooflamp3.jpg

Cost of the lamp : Rs 225/-
Cost of the LED unit : approx 150/-.

The lamp was not available in BLR, so managed to get it from Concorde Chennai. Thanks to the Spares manager there at their ECR unit who got it for me, my cousin then picking it up from there.

Final fitting - routing wires & other touch up's at EVO. Blueraven316 (Satya) - thanks again. The boys doing things neatly again.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2010, 23:02   #322
Team-BHP Support

Parwath, would you believe that the cabin light assembly for my car has cracked in a similar position as well, during my experiments with it? I didnt bother too much about it, and ave no thought to replacing it. Once put back into its housing, there is no problem, so left it as it is!

Great job with the cabin light for the rear. How did you pass the wires from the front to the rear? Did you remove the roof lining?
Old 19th July 2010, 23:19   #323
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks, Benny.

The wires are routed along the edge of the roof lining - from the brake lamp, along top of rear windshield, just above the two right side doors, and then again at the top of the front windshield. The wire has just been pushed under the roof lining.

One of the first things I had tried for the wire routing was to do a direct pass from front to back, along the center of the car but there is no clear passage along that path. The 2mm thick metal wire did not go through.

Did we discuss that breakage at any time ? Atleast now we know that this thing must be beefed up the first time we open it .. else it will break. While trying to repair it, the way I used fevikwik resulted in the liquid flowing into the switch area and now the switch is stuck in one position - and totally un-usable. And I will have to replace it.
Old 20th July 2010, 00:53   #324
BHPian

At it again eh! Good one. The other day Benny and I were talking about you and the boot release DIY.
Old 20th July 2010, 11:22   #325
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Did we discuss that breakage at any time ? Atleast now we know that this thing must be beefed up the first time we open it .. else it will break. While trying to repair it, the way I used fevikwik resulted in the liquid flowing into the switch area and now the switch is stuck in one position - and totally un-usable. And I will have to replace it.
I didnt bother sticking it together. Left it as it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
At it again eh! Good one. The other day Benny and I were talking about you and the boot release DIY.
If i were to pay royalty to Parwath each time i used this feature, Parwath would be a rich man by now.
Old 21st July 2010, 12:58   #326
BHPian

Quote:
So here's another TATA part that goes into my Ikon : the roof lamp from the Safari.
That's a neat DIY. (I see you've done a lot of other important DIYs, too).

Any idea if Ford has given the multi-lamp in front and the rear lamps in the new Ikons?

These lamps are a great feature of the Ikon, pity it's been dropped.

Regards
Old 21st July 2010, 13:33   #327
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
benbsb29 : If i were to pay royalty to Parwath each time i used this feature, Parwath would be a rich man by now.
Point noted .. and a note not to forget

Quote:
Damu : Any idea if Ford has given the multi-lamp in front and the rear lamps in the new Ikons?
Thanks, Damu. I dont think the Ikon ever had a lamp at the rear. AFAIK, all Ikons did come with the lamp in the front.
Old 21st July 2010, 15:37   #328
BHPian

The 1.6 Nxt SXI had rear reading lamps on the "C" Pillars.

Cheers
-Rajesh
Old 21st July 2010, 16:20   #329
Distinguished - BHPian

@Rajesh, that lamp is available as an accessory. I will leave it to the 1.6 NXT owners to confirm if it came as OE in their cars.
Old 21st July 2010, 16:35   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, Damu. I dont think the Ikon ever had a lamp at the rear. AFAIK, all Ikons did come with the lamp in the front.
Condor, my Ikon came with rear lamps and they are well designed. Small, but very effective. The switch is integrated into the lamp cover itself, there is a depression for a fingertip, and it's a toggle switch.

Besides, there is a three-lamp combo (two spotlights, one for each occupant and one centre lamp) in the front, with "theatre style dimming".

That's here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post1912837

(post #39)

This is particularly useful because the front passenger can turn on his spot light without affecting the driver's vision.

And one lamp for the glove box.

The rear lamp close up:
Duratorq-in' with Josh: Ford Ikon TDCi * 4 years 7 months/43,941 km & Letting Go :(-dscn0632.jpg

I've put some more pics in my thread.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks