Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2008, 16:41   #1
BHPian

Upgraded from Esteem VXi to SX4 Zxi - car choice

Hello Friends,

Below is the description of how I bought my new car – SX4 ZXi. I would like to clarify that the observations etc made below are my own and no offence to any other car owner meant. This can be beneficial for new car buyers in C segment and I can take queries if you PM me..
Sorry for the long write-up...

PART 1: Background

The car I was driving – stock 2004 Esteem VXi - an excellent car and served me well for 45K
Reason for selling – Had run the car enough, Esteem was out of production and wanted a bigger car!
Emotional Choice for the (new?) car – OHC VTEC Type 2
Expectations from new car:
• Powerful Engine – more than Esteem
• Safety and Feature List
• Budget of 8-9 lacs
• Good Balance between Mileage, *** and Cost of Ownership
• Need to stand out from the crowd
• Good Ground clearance

PART 2 – Hunt for OHC VTEC

Sold the Esteem in Mar, 2008, started hunt for OHC VTEC. Family was not too convinced about going for a 5+ yrs old car, but looking at my passion, they did not argue. Test drove at least 5-6 cars, mostly 1.5Exi but 1 VTEC too. Price expected from 1.5 EXi was in the range of 3.8-4.2 and most of them were company owned. Also, the engine seemed to have been tinkered with, so did not go for it. VTEC was in a shabby condition and after consulting mechanic found that it might have been in an accident as the chasis had issue. There were quite a few cars with dealers in Mumbai and my mechanic checked them out, were polished and painted well but engine was not clean. Also, the interiors of the car were not suiting the folks at home. So having spent 1.5 months, got dejected and lost patience.. Family pressure mounted for a new car and I succumbed.

PART 3 – Hunt for new car

In parallel had started the hunt for new car. The choice was amongst the usual suspects – Aveo, City, Fiesta, SX4 and Verna, also included Corolla and Cedia for good measure. Had TD for all of them, first round the below were out of the list for the reasons mentioned:

• Aveo: Nice car but a jack of all, master of none. Lack of power in lower bands, drive was good, but it did not excite, Resale value etc a concern
• Fiesta 1.4 Petrol and Diesel: Petrol was going to be discontinued soon, both had the same issue - lack of power
• Verna Diesel: Awesome power but expensive and lack of equipments even on the higher version, noisy. Also the power was scary as the car did not handle as well. Also, in Pune Diesel is in short supply at times
• City EXi/GXi: Lesser power, artificial steering, low ground clearance, no safety features such as ABS/Airbags

Did TD again for the remaining cars and again removed a few more from the list:
• Corolla: Was looking at the lowest version so very less equipment with the car, the car steering was huge, also compared to the power, the thrill was less. Also most important, I was stretching my budget too far even with the discounts. But need to mention that it was an excellent package, Toyota has the best reliability, if you have a driver than one of the best cars and the handling in rough terrain was awesome
• Verna Petrol: A competent car, but did not like the handling, the looks – both from the front and rear, boot was small. But need to mention that the interiors were very good, there was a nice discount of 30K and Hyundai has excellent A.S.S.
• City VTEC: Excellent power, but same issues as GXi/EXi. Though safety features present, but it did not inspire confidence on highways or on bad roads; I thought it’s fragile and also very light on the steering. Also very expensive for the car I was getting as per my budget

Finally was left with 3 cars:
• Cedia: Pros - Good value for money, Fitted LPG Kit, more powerful engine and a bigger car. Cons – Dealer network, Resale Value, a bit underpowered for a 2 litre engine, Looks did not appeal to me, Sports model was the best but it did not have any difference in the engine tuning, also was stretching my budget
• Fiesta: Pros – the best driver’s car in my shortlist, great handling, decent interiors, best looking of the lot; Cons –Ford does not have a good perception, spare parts expensive, they build cars only to last for 3-4 years, maintenance becomes very expensive once the warranty is over.. maybe perception but this is what most of the folks advised
• SX4: Pros – Good power, equipment list, Maruti A.S.S, height, presence on the road, ground clearance, safety equipments, suits my personality – 6+ height; Cons - bumpy ride at low speed on not so smooth roads, interior quality cheap and other issues gathered from the forum (low mileage 10-11; rear middle seat, noise level in the cabin)

Cedia was dropped first due to the cost as well as the lack of sale numbers of the car and the lack of good response / follow up from the dealer. Then dropped out Fiesta due to Ford’s image, also the 1.6 was not the best seller amongst the fiestas at that time. We did not have the new Fiesta SPORT at that time… Had long chats with some of the TBHP owners to take their inputs on specific points.

Finally, I zeroed in on my dream car.. the SX4 ZXi.. Have driven 5K till date and I am more than happy with my choice
Old 14th October 2008, 18:18   #2
BHPian

congrats on your dream car
it is great that you have done so much research and then opted for the best car according to your requirements
it takes a lot of patience to evaluate so many cars
please post some pics of the car
Old 14th October 2008, 18:33   #3
BHPian

It is very nice to see such a detailed study of each car. Congrats on the new car.
So you are in the spot to talk about your 5k ownership review comments.
Do let us know how you feel about the car and how it is performing.
Old 15th October 2008, 19:10   #4
BHPian

First Day First Show

Thanks FidaFord, Anup
Attaching the first day photos of the car
Attached Thumbnails
Upgraded from Esteem VXi to SX4 Zxi - car choice-dsc00378.jpg  

Upgraded from Esteem VXi to SX4 Zxi - car choice-dsc00380.jpg  

Upgraded from Esteem VXi to SX4 Zxi - car choice-dsc00382.jpg  

Upgraded from Esteem VXi to SX4 Zxi - car choice-dsc00385.jpg  

Meer is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2008, 19:32   #5
BHPian

Hello Meer, congratulations on your new purchase. When you do check your mileage, do post the results here, since I'm keen to know the mileage of the SX4 in Pune city. Thanks.
Old 15th October 2008, 19:37   #6
BHPian

meer the car just looks gorgeous, did you in anyway opt for teflon coating?
5k must have been a great experience and what mileage does it give in the city as well as the highway.
Old 15th October 2008, 20:07   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on the new car. Sure looks good.
Post a few more pics of the interiors.
Old 16th October 2008, 13:37   #8
BHPian

Accessories fitted in the car

Thanks FidaFord, Dry ICE.

Please find below the list of accessories and their approximate costs

Interiors (Approx Cost – 33K):

1. Speakers – Cost 8K
a. JBL speakers at the rear: Left the stock rear speakers as is in the door and fitted new oval speakers on the tray. Had to get I cut using gas cutter, but now look cool.
b. JBL speakers in the front: Front door stock speakers replaced with JBL
So now have 8 speakers in the car.. 2 front door+2 rear door+2 rear tray+2 tweeters!

2. Sun Film – Cost 12K
3 M sun film on all glasses including front windshield. As per the dealer only film to be approved by world skin cancer foundation. Results are really good even in full summer sun.

3. Upholstery – Cost 7K
Art leather upholstery in Beige colour. Looks pretty decent, and feels softer than the Zxi+Leather option stock upholstery.

4. Parking Sensors – Cost 3.6K
4 sensors + LCD display with beeper at the front (went for this as the rear view mirror display was not too visible in daylight.

5. Crystal Perfume bottle – Cost 800
Can be Refilled

6. Floor Mats – Cost 1K
2 sets of floor mats, one carpet ones below and another transparent ones above. Transparent ones are really good as they have grooves in them in which dust etc settles and it does not come between your shoes and the mat

7. iPOD wire for Aux connection – Cost 20

Exteriors (Approx Cost –19K):

1. Paint Protection – Cost 4K
Autoglym paint protection package. I was standing in front of the person when he did the stuff. It was an enclosed room with no chance of external dust coming in. The complete surface was de-oxidised and then waxed. The difference was immediate. Another round of protection after 6 months in the same cost. Interiors were also cleaned, bacteria etc are removed.

2. Under body protection – Cost 4K
Done at the GM showroom. As rains were abt to start, got this done on priority

3. Bumper guard – Cost 1K

4. Philips Xenon HID – Cost 10K
The difference is awesome, lights now illuminate the road like daylight. Both the distance as well as lateral coverage has increased tremendously

5. Philips 4000K parking bulbs – Cost 500
Meer is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks