Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2008, 10:05   #421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Hi,

Just got my new Tata Safari LX this week.

1) What kind of fuel is best for the new engine? normal or premium?
2) What is the ideal tyre pressure for Safari
Congrats on an excellent choice

Please use Normal fuel, engine will run happier & will give you better mileage as well. Recommended tyre pressure is 32 for the front tyres & 35 for the rear.

Happy Mile munchingcheers:
Old 4th January 2009, 14:00   #422
Senior - BHPian

Just before going to the Kerala trip, I did a fluid check and found the Windshield wiper water tank leaking again from the same place(clamp holder).

Got it replaced under warranty on Friday, need to check it every month now onwards.
Old 6th February 2009, 16:18   #423
Senior - BHPian

The Hiccup/ Krrr solution

Finally I got a call from T.A.S.S for a part replacement on a reported problem which you can read about here.

Assembly EGR Valve (Pneumatic)
Safari DICOR 2.2 VTT - Ex 4x2 - Artic Silver-newboxed.jpg

I also took this opportunity to get the Clutch pressure checked as I was finding it hard, they used a pedal pressure measuring tool and the outcome were 10.8 and 11.4 on the two attempts I made, anything below 18 is acceptable above that pedal is considered hard.

Safari DICOR 2.2 VTT - Ex 4x2 - Artic Silver-clutch_pres.jpg

A special thanks to Ramesh, Reddy and the team in the T.A.S.S, mysore road for bearing upto my requests and keeping the vehicle in good shape.

Last edited by dadu : 6th February 2009 at 16:28.
Old 6th February 2009, 16:57   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
- Are these made of Silver or some other exotic metal !?!

Rs. 3,000/- for a kg @!!@
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Apprx 15Rs/ 5gms weight + VAT

Sorry .. dint notice this reply for a long time.

I have to tell you that this is WAY over normal rates. I generally use the same amount of weights (that too the sticker variety) and its never costed me more than 100 bucks for it! Please cross-check with an external balancing/alignment shop. In fact as a practice avoid using the dealerships alignment balancing facility. There are far more competent ones outside - and I have had consistently better results with them.
Old 4th March 2009, 12:14   #425
Senior - BHPian

Name:  shell.gif
Views: 1563
Size:  1.5 KB rules

Wanted top report an increase in mileage after moving over to SHELL normal diesel.

FE, IOC Normal Diesel: 9.1 Kmpl in heavy city traffic with only apprx 20-30% AC usage.

FE, Shell Normal Diesel: 10.4 Kmpl in heavy city traffic with 100% AC usage.

No changes in parameter, driving, route, timings or person. Indeed quality of fuel does matter for these Euro4 ready engines.
Old 5th March 2009, 13:14   #426
BHPian

dadu, caught this thread just now! nice reports dude, I am surprised to hear that you even need a mechanic to do minor mods in your beast! You look such a DIY person to me!
on second thoughts, I think there is an even better fuel than shell, the one which we put on in the last meet!
OT: let's meet up some time, sit somewhere and do plain talking!
Old 5th March 2009, 16:55   #427
Senior - BHPian

I am a totally DIY person, but when the vehicle is under warranty, I rather spend my energy in directing them on what to do, than myself
Old 31st July 2009, 12:37   #428
Senior - BHPian

Major Updation

As others, I received a call from Dealer CS asking me to bring the vehicle for some updation(not clear what). They told me that it would take only 2 hrs but upon reaching there I found it can take from 2-6 hrs depending on what all needs updation from the list below:

1) ECU flashing
2) ECU Cover
3) Timing belt
4) Timing Pulley/s
5) Timing belt tensioner/ idler
6) Timing Belt cover
7) Water pump
8) A/C insulation
9) A/C condensor Fuse change

Based on what all will be changed in the Safari 2.2l updation is categorized into 4 types :

A - 2-3 hrs
B - 2-3 hrs
C - 5-6 hrs
D - 5-6 hrs

Now the best part is that they can tell you the type only once they open up the timing belt cover.

They found mine to be category D, but all changes were getting done under the supervision of hands-on technician's from the Pune plant. They would use the T.A.S.S to open up/ fix the parts under their supervision and then do the rest fine tuning and inpection themselves afterwards before finally closing it off.

More details in the TATA Safari 2.2l technical thread as that's where it belongs

Last edited by dadu : 31st July 2009 at 12:39.
Old 31st July 2009, 13:08   #429
BHPian

Thanks Dadu for the detailed report on this recall. Did they mention anything on the lot of the vehicles being recalled ?
Old 31st July 2009, 13:11   #430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkishore_77 View Post
Thanks Dadu for the detailed report on this recall. Did they mention anything on the lot of the vehicles being recalled ?
As they have grouped it into 4 types, something or the other is being done on every Safari, basic being the ECU flashing and ECU cover, just check if you have the same ECU cover, if not call your T.A.S.S.
Old 31st July 2009, 16:52   #431
Senior - BHPian

wow dadu, let me congratulate you on your ownership, though late but this thread has been one of the most intresting ones with availability of all detailed information of this beast one can get.
Old 25th September 2009, 19:02   #432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
wow dadu, let me congratulate you on your ownership, though late but this thread has been one of the most intresting ones with availability of all detailed information of this beast one can get.
Thanks Vijay.

Here one more update. Before my Trip to Mahabalipuram, I had noticed a leak in the windshield water tank (again) and decided to get it rectified after coming back from Concorde, Mysore road. I was clocking around 22k in the Odo.

Took help from HW as this was the second time it leaked to see if a newly designed tank has come out and vola, mine was an old one with the clamp arm fixed on one of the sides of the tank and used to leak from the clamp rubbing against the plastic.

Safari DICOR 2.2 VTT - Ex 4x2 - Artic Silver-100_4158.jpg
Old clamp depicted by yellow lines. New one as in HW's safari.

This is the new design, which I insisted for, although it took some time to procure it but well worth, in the meantime they also found some issues with the clutch too and I went for replacement, during the wait for the tank spare, also noticed some other things and went for their replacement too. Therefore these were the jobs done.

1) Clutch assembly replacement, including pressure plates, slave cylinder and related parts.
2) They found that one of the seals was leaking inside the assembly and replaced it.
3) Water tank
4) Got the wheels checked for brakepad wear and tear and found them all in good condition.
5) During the inspection found one of the left wheel creating some vibration, indicating bearing wear and went for replacement of both bearings(inner and outer).
6) Checked the wheels for play in Tie rods, no issues.
7) Got the idler adjusted + greased.
8) Got the turning radius checked and adjusted.

Eventually got everything checked and replaced where ever found faulty/ broken. Costed Rs. 0.00 under warranty.

Hats off to Ramesh and reddy for their patience with me, as I was nagging them constantly and supervising things. Even the technician Asif pasha was very well versed with all the work he was doing, much much appreciated. My day started at 10AM with them and closed at 7:40PM but it was the most productive day.

Checked some newer Safari's 2.2 also, they have changed some design in the hydraulics and their clutch is also very smooth, although same cannot be retrofitted in the initial models due to different designs. But after the replacement, clutch is as soft as a feather in my Safari too.

Also caught up with happywheels in the morning as his office is nearby, good to see you HW, after a long time.

Last edited by dadu : 25th September 2009 at 19:05.
Old 25th September 2009, 20:13   #433
Senior - BHPian

Wow; a clutch assembly replacement on warranty? Other than being hard,what else was the issue? Did you ever face difficulty changing gears ? I find it tough to shift to 2-3-4 sometimes and my local TASS wants me to change whole clutch assembly ; a 10 k job!
Old 25th September 2009, 20:21   #434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) Clutch assembly replacement, including pressure plates, slave cylinder and related parts.

Eventually got everything checked and replaced where ever found faulty/ broken. Costed Rs. 0.00 under warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Wow; a clutch assembly replacement on warranty? Other than being hard,what else was the issue? Did you ever face difficulty changing gears ? I find it tough to shift to 2-3-4 sometimes and my local TASS wants me to change whole clutch assembly ; a 10 k job!
Dadu same question as JKD, did you get the Clutch Assembly under warranty surprised to hear that.
Old 25th September 2009, 21:21   #435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Also caught up with happywheels in the morning as his office is nearby, good to see you HW, after a long time.
It was my pleasure, Dadu! Reckon we are meeting after almost 2 years from the first meet!

Sorry had to leave you there and run out all of a sudden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Dadu same question as JKD, did you get the Clutch Assembly under warranty surprised to hear that.
Dadu is still under the 2 year warranty, so why the question? Or is it a wear-&-tear part query?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks