Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2015, 21:24   #91
BHPian

re: Lazarus: 2015 Hyundai Creta SX+ 1.6L Petrol. EDIT: Now sold!

It's been a long journey full of guesses, anticipation, speculation, a little disappointed also, but in the end I can only imagine - Sheer joy! Congratulations on finally get your hands on the Lazarus! Having been a fan of your posts on the threads leading up the launch, I'm sure you just can't get over your new toy and are spending hours getting to know each and every inch of the car! Your ownership experience was one I was waiting for since a while, but couldn't get down to reading it till today. Finally got the time and went through each and every post and pic in detail, and in my own sweet time. Only one word - Bravo! I love how you have taken the time to post pics and describe even tiny details which are often left out even in official reviews! Hoping for more such feedback as you tame the Lazarus even more.

Congratulations again!
vivekh15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 22:38   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you for your lovely wishes, team.

Had a chance to capture the cornering lamps in action earlier, at around 8 PM.

Now, the Creta's cornering lamps come with a unique theater-dimming effect. Turn the headlamps on and turn the steering wheel around 15-20 degrees to either side to activate the cornering lamps, and bring the steering wheel back to it's original position for the respective cornering lamp to go dim and slowly shut itself off.

This effect is also seen if you have only the foglamps activated, i.e., it is not necessary for the headlamps to be on compulsorily for the cornering lamps to function.

The beams from the cornering lamps are nicely bright, and light up the dark lanes and roads fairly brightly.

Party trick - Simultaneously, quickly turn the steering wheel both ways (preferably when the car is not in motion or at very, very low speeds) for BOTH cornering lamps to get activated!

This results in very bright illumination in the entire front section of the car (specially when combined with the high beams + foglamps), and also confuses the heck out of any passers-by or onlookers!

All pictures are clicked by my iPhone 6 Plus, and with the Flash set to "Off".

The section ahead, in complete darkness.
Lazarus: 2015 Hyundai Creta SX+ 1.6L Petrol. EDIT: Now sold!-img_7363.jpg

With the LED positioning lamps.
Lazarus: 2015 Hyundai Creta SX+ 1.6L Petrol. EDIT: Now sold!-img_7364.jpg

With the foglamps. Quite bright.
Lazarus: 2015 Hyundai Creta SX+ 1.6L Petrol. EDIT: Now sold!-img_7365.jpg

Projectors' low beam + foglamps.
Lazarus: 2015 Hyundai Creta SX+ 1.6L Petrol. EDIT: Now sold!-img_7366.jpg

Projectors' high beam + foglamps. Excellent throw.
Lazarus: 2015 Hyundai Creta SX+ 1.6L Petrol. EDIT: Now sold!-img_7367.jpg

Right side, without cornering lamp.
Lazarus: 2015 Hyundai Creta SX+ 1.6L Petrol. EDIT: Now sold!-img_7369.jpg

Steering wheel turned towards right, cornering lamp activated.
Lazarus: 2015 Hyundai Creta SX+ 1.6L Petrol. EDIT: Now sold!-img_7370.jpg

Left side, without cornering lamp.
Lazarus: 2015 Hyundai Creta SX+ 1.6L Petrol. EDIT: Now sold!-img_7371.jpg

Steering wheel turned towards left, cornering lamp activated.
Lazarus: 2015 Hyundai Creta SX+ 1.6L Petrol. EDIT: Now sold!-img_7372.jpg

A very useful feature provided by Hyundai indeed!
RavenAvi is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 00:08   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Had a chance to capture the cornering lamps in action earlier, at around 8 PM.
Having only test driven the car during the day, didn't really get to see these lamps in action or gauge their effectiveness. These pics really "throw some light" on this feature.

But sad jokes aside, I really didn't think they would be so effective! This will be a really helpful feature indeed.

If I may add, you missed out pics of the projector low and high beams without the fog lamps on. This would have given a better understanding of their brightness and throw, especially the low beam.

Also, what is the behavior of the cornering lamps when in reverse gear? Do they still come on? Will be quite the scene parallel parking in a tight spot at night

Last edited by vivekh15 : 6th August 2015 at 00:13.
Old 6th August 2015, 21:13   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Raven,
Excellent write up! I was on an impression that Creta was not worth 17lakhs. Today I saw a td creta for the first time, that too in white. Man I was impressed!! I seriously thought I was looking at a Santa Fe from distance. It does have a presence worthy of 17 big ones.

I asked my brother how the car looks( we were crossing it parallely, looking at the side view) He instantly replied "Prasanna, it looks like an evoque!"

Congrats on a sensible decision and wish you many many happy safe miles in that beautiful little monster.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 6th August 2015 at 21:15.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 11:56   #95
BHPian

Guys need a clarification. The petrol engines have lower torque figures comparing to their diesel counterparts. Does it bring any difference to open road performance? Almost in all cases,the manufacturers match power rating similiar to their diesel variant but the torque rating is low. What exactly is power useful for and torque useful for? For eg the acceleration and top speed figures of polo gt tdi and tsi are same (around 10.2 seconds and 185 kmph). Then the difference of 75 nm torque will be reflected where?
Old 7th August 2015, 12:33   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by printh View Post
Guys need a clarification. The petrol engines have lower torque figures comparing to their diesel counterparts. Does it bring any difference to open road performance? Almost in all cases,the manufacturers match power rating similiar to their diesel variant but the torque rating is low. What exactly is power useful for and torque useful for? For eg the acceleration and top speed figures of polo gt tdi and tsi are same (around 10.2 seconds and 185 kmph). Then the difference of 75 nm torque will be reflected where?
Hi Printh,

Check this out: http://www.carthrottle.com/post/the-...-hp-explained/
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 12:59   #97
BHPian

Thanks for the link chetan sir. Being into a field thought as almost the opposite to engineering in our country, to my best of understanding ,
Power = top speed.
Torque= acceleration.
But in the same reference case as polo get twins ,both have similiar acceleration times given the almost same weight. And am I right in thinking ,the extra 75 nm in diesel helps in giving the same acceleration with extra payload whereas the acceleration decreases in tsi with more payload?
Or is it like,the extra torque helps in giving the same performance albeit at lower engine strain level compared to tsi ??
printh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 16:53   #98
BHPian

Raven, I don't know if somebody must have asked this and you have answered already.

How is the ride quality in Creta compared to City at low and high speeds on potholed roads? Does sharper bumps at high speeds filter into the cabin as Autocar review says?
adarsh76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 11:04   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you for all your lovely wishes, team!

Apologies for the late response. I was away on an extensive touring duty in different Tehsils all day yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekh15 View Post
If I may add, you missed out pics of the projector low and high beams without the fog lamps on. This would have given a better understanding of their brightness and throw, especially the low beam.

Also, what is the behavior of the cornering lamps when in reverse gear? Do they still come on? Will be quite the scene parallel parking in a tight spot at night
Both points noted.

I don't think the cornering lamps work when the car is engaged in reverse, but will check to be doubly sure and report back with snaps tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76 View Post
How is the ride quality in Creta compared to City at low and high speeds on potholed roads? Does sharper bumps at high speeds filter into the cabin as Autocar review says?
Ride quality is definitely MUCH better in the Creta, specially when compared to the City, at both high and low speeds on broken roads.

Small potholes and speed-breakers are dismissed by mild thuds, and only moderately-sized speed-breakers make a louder sound. Of course, you have to slow down for the gigantic ones.

As for noise inside the cabin, you get the feel of all sorts of road imperfections, but it doesn't cause any discomfort. You can actually feel the suspension going about it's work, and keeping things in the cabin as plush as it can be. I have no complaints whatsoever - the places where I have to slow down the City, I don't slow down the Creta at all!

Still, the ride quality isn't as stellar as say, a Renault Duster or a Safari Storme. Those cars are a level above in the riding comfort department.

Quote:
What exactly is power useful for and torque useful for?
Quote:
And am I right in thinking ,the extra 75 nm in diesel helps in giving the same acceleration with extra payload whereas the acceleration decreases in tsi with more payload?
From my understanding, power is the capability of the engine to produce amounts of energy at particular RPMs, while torque is the pull/punch of the engine with the load on it.

And you are exactly right. Heavier cars demand better torque, for more cleaner pull from a standstill position.

-------------------------------

Some Observations so far:

- The shifting into 2nd gear is slightly harder than shifting into other gears.
- Brakes have strong bite. Sudden braking is not recommended unless absolutely necessary.
- There is a mild whistling noise coming from inside the fan units, despite the quiet function of the FATC. Something might have got stuck in the vents.
- Have to select the "Recirculate" mode everytime the car starts up. This is a bit annoying.
- The Head Unit still has the intermittent "play from beginning" problem. Sometimes it picks up from where the song left, sometimes goes right back to the beginning of the USB drive!
- If you select "Door" in the map lights section, the lights stay on for around 15-20 seconds after the door is opened, before going off with a theater-dimming effect.
- Takes some effort to click the rear seat back into it's place.
- Leave the keyfob inside the car and try to lock it using the driver door sensor button, and there is a loud and continuous beep.
- Leave the Start/Stop button on and try to lock the car, and the loud and continuous beep returns.
- My wife commented on how much more comfortable she feels in Lazarus's rear seat, compared to my Empress. The huge amounts of headroom and shoulder-room are indeed a big help.

As expected, there are not many accessories available for the Creta yet. Got a set of Innova-sized rubber mats for the rainy season, until I procure 3D mats.

Also, got a pair of neck cushions in leather and a in-cabin gel-based perfume. Still debating about seat covers.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 8th August 2015 at 11:19.
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 12:53   #100
BHPian

Ever since I read your post in the 'I booked my car' thread, I was looking forward to the ownership report . Not just for the detailed review of the car, but also for your engaging writing style.

Congratulations on your new acquisition. Wish you many happy miles!
tiger_stripes is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 15:53   #101
Team-BHP Support

Congrats RavenAvi for having finally followed your heart. Creta is a brilliant choice indeed and as you mentioned - it is worth it even though the prices were quite high compared to all our expectations.

Read through the entire review and the same honesty and attention to detail shines through, that made your city ownership thread one of the best documented in the forum.

I got a chance to check out the Creta, but without a TD. It is a very impressive package in the top spec trim. And looks a class apart from any other compact SUV in the market. I was slightly disappointed with the interior theme (not the quality) which felt a bit too familiar with the Xcent.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 16:01   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I was slightly disappointed with the interior theme (not the quality) which felt a bit too familiar with the Xcent.
A complete black theme here would have really made a hell of a difference.

No beige inserts and complete black package similar to the IX-25, would have taken the interiors to the next level.

Notwithstanding still an awesome package and have booked one,
nkghai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 21:58   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I report back with some pleasant surprise - the cornering lamps function when the reverse gear is engaged as well! This helps immensely in lighting all around the Creta, specially if it's pitch dark where you are moving about, and have to reverse AND turn to either side.

A neat surprise feature by Hyundai. Thank you to them!

Quote:
Captured these pics in front of my colony's main gate, about an hour back on my return back home (apologising for the quality since all snaps were taken by my iPhone 6 Plus, with Flash set to "Off"):

No lights.
Lazarus: 2015 Hyundai Creta SX+ 1.6L Petrol. EDIT: Now sold!-img_0001.jpg

LED Positioning Lamps ON.
Lazarus: 2015 Hyundai Creta SX+ 1.6L Petrol. EDIT: Now sold!-img_0002.jpg

Foglamps ON.
Lazarus: 2015 Hyundai Creta SX+ 1.6L Petrol. EDIT: Now sold!-img_0003.jpg

Projectors' Low Beam ON, foglamps OFF.
Lazarus: 2015 Hyundai Creta SX+ 1.6L Petrol. EDIT: Now sold!-img_0004.jpg

Projectors' High Beam ON, foglamps OFF.
Lazarus: 2015 Hyundai Creta SX+ 1.6L Petrol. EDIT: Now sold!-img_0005.jpg

Projectors' High Beam ON, foglamps ON.
Lazarus: 2015 Hyundai Creta SX+ 1.6L Petrol. EDIT: Now sold!-img_0008.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 22:59   #104
BHPian

Thanks RavenAvi! Must say, the lights seem quite bright on their own! I personally don't see a need to upgrade to HIDs. Are you planning an upgrade in the long run?
Old 9th August 2015, 10:41   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Are you planning an upgrade in the long run?
An upgrade to "angel eyes" is on the cards in the future. Let's see if I can find a compatible pair for the Creta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkghai View Post
No beige inserts and complete black package similar to the IX-25, would have taken the interiors to the next level.

Notwithstanding still an awesome package and have booked one,
The dash should have been all-black, like the Jazz VX or the previous-generation City's Corporate Edition. Would have looked really classy!

Congratulations, Colonel Ghai! Wish you plenty of happy miles ahead with your wonderful steed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Congrats RavenAvi for having finally followed your heart.

I got a chance to check out the Creta, but without a TD.
Thanks, my friend.

You really need to TD the Creta once, specially the 1.6L diesel. Once you drive the car, all other thoughts go out of the window! See if you can get behind the wheel sometime soon. You will be impressed by this compact Hyundai SUV!
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks