Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2014, 10:03   #121
J.Ravi

re: Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I am absolutely sure.
I am absolutely wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
if the engine is on, and if you turn the key... nothing happens.
You are absolutely right, triedeverything. Just now, I repeated the experiment successfully not once, but many times! I tried to crank the engine, nothing happened and no 'grrr' sound too. I heard just the sweet purring of the engine only and nothing else. Perhaps, during my first experiment, I heard some other noise and attributed it to lack of protection against double-cranking. I am sorry that I gave wrong information about my Purple Cheetah. Thanks a lot for enlightening me, triedeverything. I wish Mahindra included this feature in the owner's manual and brochure.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 2nd July 2014 at 10:06.
  (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2014, 05:48   #122
J.Ravi

Yet Another Non-Stop Drive From Chennai To Bangalore

Purple Cheetah brought us safely and comfortably to our Bangalore Basaveswara Nagar home at 4:20 am today. We had left our Chennai Royapettah home at 10:35 pm last night. I drove non-stop as usual. We didn't face any problem or traffic jam anywhere. Attibele toll plaza was almost deserted with very few vehicles predominantly trucks. Flyover works are still in progress at Hosur town at important junctions.

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-mid.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-mmidata.jpg

Last edited by J.Ravi : 3rd July 2014 at 06:00.
  (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2014, 09:20   #123
Team-BHP Support

Without any stoppage, I feel 6 hours is a bit longer travel time than normal, or is it not?
Old 3rd July 2014, 09:37   #124
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Without any stoppage, I feel 6 hours is a bit longer travel time than normal, or is it not?
I had slept in the afternoon and evening, dined, again slept, taken a bath and enjoyed aromatic filter coffee before starting. So, I didn't feel like breaking the journey en route. Ultimately, it all depends on the man and his machine.

Old 3rd July 2014, 14:35   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Is this the usual mileage you get on this route. I did almost similar route (Vadapalani- Marathahalli) two weeks back and infotainment screen was showing in range of 14.6 or so.

Though it is similar to the mileage of your cheetah I was expecting it to increase to 15 KMPL + range after my first service. My vehicle just crossed 1000 KM during that trip. Another factor may be load in the vehicle, in my case it was just me and wife. I had got air filled for 32 on all tyres before starting from Chennai.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2014, 18:42   #126
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Another factor may be load in the vehicle, in my case it was just me and wife.
My Purple Cheetah was fully loaded with luggage and 3 persons on board; plus, it climbed from 1 m to 953 m above MSL, thanks to the altitude graph of the built-in navigator. I always get 2 kmpl less for Chennai - Bangalore trip that involves climbing up the ghat than Bangalore - Chennai trip, which is driving down the ghat. Here is the fuel efficiency of my last Bangalore - Chennai trip on 17/18 April 2014 for almost similar loading, route and timing:

I always maintain 32 psi for the front tyres and 30 psi for the rear ones.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 3rd July 2014 at 18:47.
  (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2014, 12:20   #127
BHPian

Re: Yet Another Non-Stop Drive From Chennai To Bangalore

Could you share which version of Maps is loaded in the your XUV? I dont think I have the version which has the altitude and speed. (mine is a 2013 april model)

There was an upgrade available towards october, but the service center told me that version is "unstable".
Old 4th July 2014, 12:51   #128
J.Ravi

Re: Yet Another Non-Stop Drive From Chennai To Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajohn View Post
Could you share which version of Maps is loaded in the your XUV?
Version 8.0. On the navigator screen, you have to 'record' after selecting the destination by pressing the button on top right corner, which will turn from red circle to greyish square. After reaching destination, press 'menu' and select 'GPS log' to get speed and altitude graphs.

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-gpslog1.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-gpslog2.jpg

Quote:
There was an upgrade available towards october, but the service center told me that version is "unstable".
Now, my stand-alone MapMyIndia navigator Lx130 has version 9.0 maps and earlier had version 8.1. But, India Garage maintains that they don't any other updated maps and assures me that I would be informed as soon as the new version is available for update. Version 8.0 is not unstable and so are the others.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 4th July 2014 at 13:02.

Old 11th July 2014, 14:18   #129
J.Ravi

Today, I removed the spare wheel and checked the pressure as the Tiretronics still shows OK even after almost 6 months and found to be alright, but I increased the pressure slightly higher than the recommended and refitted it back.

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-dsc02572.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-dsc02573.jpg

I was toying with the idea of buying a hydraulic trolley jack as the earlier one had gone along with Linea. The details are here. So, today, I jacked up Purple Cheetah using OE stock screw-jack. Contrary to my expectations, it was an easy job. I could jack it up within a few minutes without much effort. I measured the jacking height required for replacing a flat wheel. It was 340 mm minimum.

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-dsc02575.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-dsc02576.jpg

All the 2 ton hydraulic trolley jacks that are available in ebay including my previous one had a maximum jacking height of 330 mm only, which will be useless to lift Purple Cheetah. So, I dropped the plan of procuring a hydraulic jack for the time-being until I come across one which has a jacking height of atleast 350 mm.

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-dsc02578.jpg
  (5) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 14:31   #130
J.Ravi

Shravanabelagola Pilgrimage

Today, Purple Cheetah visited the Babhubali shrine at Shravanabelagola.

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-dsc02599.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-shravanabelagola.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-cheetahview.jpg

We left our Basaveswara Nagar home at 5:30 am. For the up journey, I drove on SH via Magadi, which had good 2-lane roads until it joined NH 48. For the return journey, I came back via Nelamangala, reaching home at 12:30 pm.

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-swathi.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-mid.jpg
  (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 15:11   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
So, today, I jacked up Purple Cheetah using OE stock screw-jack. Contrary to my expectations, it was an easy job. I could jack it up within a few minutes without much effort. I measured the jacking height required for replacing a flat wheel. It was 340 mm minimum.
Simple but very effective idea - I mean measuring the jack-up height required, by lifting XUV and measuring the height it is jacked up.

I have a question. I think the maps coming with XUV500 are Map My India Maps. Are they accurate about ever changing cities like Chennai and Bangalore?

Seran
Seran Manian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 15:59   #132
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seran Manian View Post
I think the maps coming with XUV500 are Map My India Maps.
Yes; my XUV 500 has version 8.0 maps. My RM says no updates and I would be informed as soon as they get new version maps. Whereas, in my stand-alone MMI navigator Lx130 for which I have subscribed for 2 year plan, has version 9.0 maps and earlier, 8.1!

Quote:
Are they accurate about ever changing cities like Chennai and Bangalore?
They are 95% accurate. I faced problems at Kolkata, Guwahati and other places at the ghostly hours! MMI declared that I reached the destination, but Ginger Hotels at Guwahati was nowhere seen and half-hour later, I found that it was located on a lane perpendicular to the main road where I got stranded at 3:00 am! I had similar experience at Kolkata and other places. In hilly region, MMI is not at all accurate.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 19th July 2014 at 16:01.
  (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 07:32   #133
BHPian

After analyzing many options and going through many wonderful user reviews of BHP-ians like you, SDP, RavenAvi and others, I made a full stop to the war between heart and mind and booked Honda City i-DTEC (Still keeping XUV for my next buy!). Thanks for all the info and guidance.
Seran Manian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 08:19   #134
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seran Manian View Post
booked Honda City i-DTEC (Still keeping XUV for my next buy!).
Congratulations and best wishes, Seran Manian. I wish you and your would-be Honda City infinite miles with smiles.
  (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2014, 14:45   #135
J.Ravi

Right from the day-one, I always considered the beadings on both the sides of central facia a nuisance as they reflected the sunrays on the windshield, which in turn, spoiled the photographs clicked from inside.

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-windshield.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-windshield0.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-windshield1.jpg

Not any more. I bought 2 pieces of 1" x 1.5' matte black vinyl stickers costing ₹100 from the neighbourhood sticker guy, who used Coral Draw application in his PC with the connected sticker-cutter to get the stickers of the exact dimensions. After coming home, I pasted the stickers on the beading carefully so as to avoid any air bubble inbetwen the sticker and the beading. Now, the black stickers absorb the sunrays and do not reflect them on the windshield.

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah EDIT: Sold!-windshield2.jpg

Last edited by J.Ravi : 26th July 2014 at 14:52.
  (14) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks