Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2013, 09:38   #31
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post

I called up the SE but said no warranty on tyres. I will have to replace it. Shot a mail to MRF asking for explanation but expecting no reply. Anyways, I shall post this online and make sure everyone comes to know.
So now that means you are using the Stepney and not having a spare?! Quiet risky for you and moreover is a new car.

Why don't you go for a whole changeover? Michelin or Yokohama or Bridgestone's?

Anurag.
Old 19th September 2013, 09:50   #32
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport 1.5D Titanium - Owner's Log of the Beauty, or the Beast?

This is certainly not fair! You should take this up strongly with Ford too! A new tyre cannot crack so soon!
Old 19th September 2013, 09:57   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
So now that means you are using the Stepney and not having a spare?! Quiet risky for you and moreover is a new car.

Why don't you go for a whole changeover? Michelin or Yokohama or Bridgestone's?

Anurag.
Yes, no spare tyre now. Will check the rates and see how much they will offer for the stock tyres. If the price is good, I shall go with Yoko. Else, I shall replace this damaged tyre with a new MRF as it's not recommended to use multi threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urajkumar View Post
This is certainly not fair! You should take this up strongly with Ford too! A new tyre cannot crack so soon!
The dealer said they cant do anything about it. As it happens always, once bought customer is left all alone. No assistance or advice whatsoever. Shooting a mail to Ford.
Old 19th September 2013, 10:42   #34
Senior - BHPian

I knew MRFs aren't the best but didn't know they were susceptible to sidewall cracks so easily. Also your case is the only one reported on an Ecosport. Hopefully Ford steps in to offer at least 50% waiver if not a new tyre.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2013, 10:46   #35
Senior - BHPian

Tyres are covered for manufacturing defects. A car thats done less than 500kms and has a sidewall crack on the tyre should qualify for it. You can take this issue up with Ford Customer care directly, forget the dealer.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2013, 11:35   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Update:

Now I know why people say MRF tyres are bad. Went over a slab and the side wall cracked. It was just a small touch and it cracked. This is not the first time. Have taken this route N number of times and my Swift showed no problems.

To guys taking delivery of the ecosport, Please change to some other brand. MRF is PATHETIC!
Quote:
I called up the SE but said no warranty on tyres. I will have to replace it. Shot a mail to MRF asking for explanation but expecting no reply. Anyways, I shall post this online and make sure everyone comes to know.
I never trusted the ZV2K, and that is why I got rid of the MRFs in my Ecosport. I had posted it in TAI and got flamed left and right for it.

As far as I know, warranty is available from the dealer, but it won't be easy for you to prove that it is indeed a manufacturing defect. They would claim that it was due to some sharp object on the road. But, no harm trying.

But I strongly suggest that you get rid of the MRFs after retaining 1 piece for the stepney. For a new MRF, you would have to shell out 6K. Put in another 6K and get 4 GY Assurance.
ecosport is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2013, 13:01   #37
BHPian

Congratulation on the new car Naveen. Now, is it a Beauty or Beast? I would call it a Beautiful Beast.
JoseVijay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2013, 17:38   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Update:

Now I know why people say MRF tyres are bad. Went over a slab and the side wall cracked. It was just a small touch and it cracked. This is not the first time. Have taken this route N number of times and my Swift showed no problems.

To guys taking delivery of the ecosport, Please change to some other brand. MRF is PATHETIC!
This is really sad. But just to let you know that I had a similar incident with a New Bridgestone on my Etios. Infact, it was a very gentle scratch on the steps to our house in the portico and the tyre just cracked. When I took it to the tyre store he said that it is not because of the quality of the tyre. Any tyre will not withstand scratches that happen to the sides of the tyres. More so with softer tyres like Bridgestone / Michellin.

So, to blame MRF completely is not very appropriate in my opinion. You may check with the tyre store guys on that.
Old 19th September 2013, 18:32   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude300 View Post

This is really sad. But just to let you know that I had a similar incident with a New Bridgestone on my Etios. Infact, it was a very gentle scratch on the steps to our house in the portico and the tyre just cracked. When I took it to the tyre store he said that it is not because of the quality of the tyre. Any tyre will not withstand scratches that happen to the sides of the tyres. More so with softer tyres like Bridgestone / Michellin.

So, to blame MRF completely is not very appropriate in my opinion. You may check with the tyre store guys on that.
I agree on this, any tyre whether soft compound or hard, it is the sidewall which is always soft n delicate so it will give way much early than other part. As such I feel what we consider a small scratch or hit, consider the same along with the weight of the car n the force it creates when even at crawling speed is adequate to damage any tyre.
Just my thought.

Last edited by techfreak : 19th September 2013 at 19:00.
Old 20th September 2013, 15:07   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Update:

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
That is sad. Though i have never used MRF tyres, i have read that its pretty hard and mrf focuses more on longevity than grip or comfort. Call it co incidence but a dealer's demo Ecosport here has a big hole in the MRF tyre on rear tail gate.

If i get Good year assurance i will not change but if i get MRF's, i will change to Bridgestone MY02, have them on my Linea from past 10k kms, no complaints.
Just a word of caution.
Not sure whether Goodyear will be any better from Side Wall cut point of view
In this forum itself at least two Aria owners had side wall cuts with Goodyear Wranglers. See psbali's thread here
LobsterB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2013, 15:10   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterB View Post
Just a word of caution.
Not sure whether Goodyear will be any better from Side Wall cut point of view
In this forum itself at least two Aria owners had side wall cuts with Goodyear Wranglers. See psbali's thread here
I just wanted to have Goodyear as OE fitment rather than MRF. I would never buy Goodyear as replacement. The only choices are Yoko, Michelin or Conti.
Old 20th September 2013, 15:28   #42
Senior - BHPian

Naveen -Congrats on the ES. And the pics by "Staff photographer" Vaisakh looks fabulous, as expected

Should plan a visit to Kochi for the next meet, whenever that is - just to check out the beauty.

Sorry to hear about the tyre. Hope MRF responds to this. Ford will always take cover under the no-warranty excuse!!
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2013, 16:11   #43
BHPian

Quote:
I just wanted to have Goodyear as OE fitment rather than MRF. I would never buy Goodyear as replacement. The only choices are Yoko, Michelin or Conti.
Yoko's (ES501) are good , i have replaced the Goodyear with this one and so far so good .
Old 20th September 2013, 18:27   #44
BHPian

Congrats Naveen on your new Eco-Sport.

Thats a wonderful precise review you had given on Eco-sport

Hope to see it and check it out further in next T BHP meets.

Is the door area behind the spare wheel accessible by hand?

How does it handle the broken roads in kochi as compared to Vento ?

Regarding your cracked tyre, were you able to swap it with Ford Dealer or change all the tyres at one go.

Last edited by alexpaul : 20th September 2013 at 18:35. Reason: Adding additional content
alexpaul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2013, 14:28   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexpaul View Post
Congrats Naveen on your new Eco-Sport.

Thats a wonderful precise review you had given on Eco-sport

Hope to see it and check it out further in next T BHP meets.

Is the door area behind the spare wheel accessible by hand?

How does it handle the broken roads in kochi as compared to Vento ?

Regarding your cracked tyre, were you able to swap it with Ford Dealer or change all the tyres at one go.
Thanks dude. Yes, you better make it for the next meet. The area is not easily accessible but can manage. Sharp potholes are not easily absorbed and there's this thud feel and add those pathetic MRF tyres to this situation. Not yet replaced the damaged tyre. Both MRF and Ford rejected the offer of replacing the tyre. Waiting to hear from the higher authorities regarding this matter.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks