Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2013, 22:40   #31
BHPian

Re: My FIAT Grande Punto 1.2 Dynamic - Initial ownership review

Congrats BigBrad for the Punto. A very different kind of upgrade, I must say. The feature list is quite impressive at the price, though.
Nice pics. The car looks awesome in all colors. I am surprised that you are not a fan of its looks.
Old 15th April 2013, 22:52   #32
BHPian

Congrats BigBrad for the Punto. A very different kind of upgrade, I must say. The feature list is quite impressive at the price, though.
Nice pics. The car looks awesome in all colors. I am surprised that you are not a fan of its looks.
Old 18th April 2013, 15:09   #33
BHPian

Congratulations Big Brad on your new car. Definitely the feature list is OK and I am sure you will enjoy driving your car around after couple of services. Looking forward to hear more from you on your updates.Also the pictures have come out awesome.
voyageur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2013, 17:42   #34
BHPian

Quick help needed:

There is something wrong with the central locking system in our car. When I press the lock button in remote key, the system locks all doors and then suddenly unlocks everything as it senses the LHS front door as open. I can see the warning in instrument console with the 'door open' symbol. Even the MID says, "Left front door open".

What could be the issue? Is it something to do with a loose fuse? I can manually lock the driver side door alone by slotting the key and turning, but the central locking system still behaves the same.

This is a very dangerous situation to be in, as the car is left open always, even when its moving.
Old 24th April 2013, 09:08   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrad View Post
Quick help needed:

There is something wrong with the central locking system in our car. When I press the lock button in remote key, the system locks all doors and then suddenly unlocks everything as it senses the LHS front door as open. I can see the warning in instrument console with the 'door open' symbol. Even the MID says, "Left front door open".

What could be the issue? Is it something to do with a loose fuse? I can manually lock the driver side door alone by slotting the key and turning, but the central locking system still behaves the same.

This is a very dangerous situation to be in, as the car is left open always, even when its moving.
Nothing major IMO.
The door position sensor (normally a push switch like the light switch in refrigerators) must not be in place properly.
Check this somewhere around the area where the door touches with the cabin. you may be able to do it yourself. or if you don't have the tools, go to service centre.
the cluster light, the lock behaviour everything is linked to this switch

Ah! some company to my 1.2

Read your thread now and its an honest review I must say
You've experienced the same things I did 2.5 years ago. The search for the AC switch is one such thing

PTW ratio is definitely poor. To be frank I really don't understand this "opening up" of the engine.
I feel that its we who understand the car better and extract the best out of the machine.
But whatever it is after some kilometres on the ODO you feel good about driving the car.

After 40k kms My car still feels new.
December last year I drove to Pune. After driving alone for close to a thousand kilometres a day. I was still not tired (In the segment, only a Polo can come close to this IMO)

The knee ache and others will stay until you find the best suitable position for yourself.

Service is still an unknown commodity...Hope the new FIAT service is better than TASS

Congratulations and Enjoy!

MODS: I was editing this message and before I could finish typing, the 30 mins window expired. Please merge the back-back posts

Last edited by GTO : 29th April 2013 at 19:51. Reason: Merging back to back posts
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2013, 21:12   #36
BHPian

Hemanth, I tried searching for something like that and though I found two button like things on the body frame, it didn't help. Its probably this button/sensor that's not giving the right signal back to the car.

And, glad that you liked my review. Will try my best to keep it updated like you do. By opening up, what I meant is the engine feeling a little more relaxed and peppier by a small but noticeable margin. Does that happen after the 15k/2nd service mark?

The seats umm, I don't know if the position can be improved further. I tried several combinations using the height adjustment(has a pretty good range btw) as well as by moving the seat back n forth. Very recently, I drove an Innova to Wayanad for a pleasure trip with my cousins. Despite driving the car continuously for 200+kms with just one short break and through not-so-perfect road conditions, I didn't have any aches/pains. Till this drive, I was thinking that the discomfort might be due to the lack of under thigh support and I was planning to buy a cushion that supports my thigh part alone. But Innova too had the same level of thigh support which I noticed. So, I'm left with the italianesque driving position of our dear FIATs. May be its the position of pedals that is the reason. Do note that my left knee is absolutely fine, resting comfortably in the dead pedal at most times and I'm having trouble only with my right knee. I would rate this as the biggest trouble that I'm currently facing.

Keeping my fingers crossed in the service department. Initial impressions are satisfactory with some room for improvement.
Old 25th April 2013, 12:27   #37
BHPian

Quote:
By opening up, what I meant is the engine feeling a little more relaxed and peppier by a small but noticeable margin. Does that happen after the 15k/2nd service mark?

Brad, it will happen. The car just needs some TLC till then! Mine, the same variant as yours, started opening up from 5k onwards, is butter smooth now, at 11k. The loss of power with AC "on", would still be there though, but definitely less severe. You may read some of my posts elsewhere, and I have some exceptional mileages to report! The same 1.172 mill! Just a word of caution: the air intake hose, which goes to the air filter, has a tendency to come off. The rubber tooth of the hose is smaller than what it should be, and it comes off the lock hole on the air filter housing. If you notice carefully, in your under the hood pix posted earlier, it is already on the verge of coming off. Get is changed or fixed properly at the ASS. And, please, use the AC at least once a week, even if for 5 minutes. I have had issues with my AC which was resolved after the fourth visit, for the same cause! Regular use keeps the AC system well lubricated and the sealing gaskets healthy and supple. All niggles would become prominent by 5-6k and beyond that the car would have absolutely no issues to report. This is considering, the car is "used" and not abused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Ah! some company to my 1.2
I am there too....!!!

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 25th April 2013 at 12:53.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2013, 00:30   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
Brad, it will happen.
Glad to hear that again.

Quote:
Just a word of caution: the air intake hose, which goes to the air filter, has a tendency to come off. The rubber tooth of the hose is smaller than what it should be, and it comes off the lock hole on the air filter housing. If you notice carefully, in your under the hood pix posted earlier, it is already on the verge of coming off. Get is changed or fixed properly at the ASS.
lapis_lazuli, Is it the one towards which the arrow is pointing in the below pic?
My FIAT Grande Punto 1.2 Dynamic - Initial ownership review-img_0278air.jpg

Thanks for noticing. Will get this sorted out along with my front door sensor issue.

Quote:
And, please, use the AC at least once a week, even if for 5 minutes. I have had issues with my AC which was resolved after the fourth visit, for the same cause! Regular use keeps the AC system well lubricated and the sealing gaskets healthy and supple.
Dad uses the car more than me n he's more comfortable without A/C unless its too hot. Anyways, will ask him to use it once a week atleast. IIRC, the manual says that we should use the A/C for atleast 30mins every month.

A few questions for you:
1. Do you recommend an oil + filter change at the 1st service/5k kms mark?
2. Have you changed the stock headlight bulbs?
3. Does your car have front windscreen film?

Quote:
I am there too....!!!
We are probably one of the least numbered 1.2 hatch owners, the chosen few
Old 27th April 2013, 15:59   #39
BHPian

Oops! How could I miss such an informative thread.
Heartiest congratulations for the Punto, BigBrad. The car looks real cute in white! Wish you many miles in it.

Loved the pictures. Can you confirm whether 'Fake wooden trim stickers' are available for the Punto?
Old 27th April 2013, 23:26   #40
BHPian

Door lock replaced under warranty:

Quote:
Nothing major IMO.
The door position sensor (normally a push switch like the light switch in refrigerators) must not be in place properly.
Check this somewhere around the area where the door touches with the cabin. you may be able to do it yourself. or if you don't have the tools, go to service centre.
the cluster light, the lock behaviour everything is linked to this switch
Had gone to the service centre today and the front left door lock was replaced under warranty. The job took an hour or so as they had the necessary part in stock. The air intake pipe which was falling apart(thanks to lapis_lazuli for pointing it out), was also fixed back in proper position with an assurance from the SA that it won't come off again. I'm not convinced with that by the way. Anyways, left the place with a Rs.0 bill.

Big thanks to everyone who responded in this thread as well as the official review thread.

While I was showing him the air intake pipe getting lose, I closed the bonnet in the following way: Moved it slowly till the bottom end until it touched the lock and gave a semi-locked click sound followed by a firm push on top the bonnet and it got closed. I thought this is the correct way to do it. But the SA advised me not to do like that and instead do it like, after bringing the bonnet to almost 3/4th level of closing, simply drop it by pulling your hands out. He said the lock might develop some issues if we close it the way I did. I would like to know the suggestions of fellow members on this matter.

Slightly OT: Met another FIATian from Kottayam who came to get the 4th service done for his Linea. Had a good chat with him on almost all matters related to FIAT cars, a very nice person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud
Heartiest congratulations for the Punto, BigBrad. The car looks real cute in white! Wish you many miles in it.

Can you confirm whether 'Fake wooden trim stickers' are available for the Punto?
Hey, thanks buddy. Just saw your Rapid. You must be having real fun after 2000rpm. Wish I had something similar.

Regarding the wood trim, sorry I'm not aware of that. Do you own a Punto as well?

Last edited by BigBrad : 27th April 2013 at 23:51. Reason: Replying to Loud
Old 28th April 2013, 00:00   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
D
I would like to know the suggestions of fellow members on this
I don't know how the lock might develop problems because of the way you closed it but I would never close the bonnet like the way you did.
When we press the bonnet like that, it will surely, over time, get a slight dent where you press

Best way is to do like what the SA told you.
Alothough the locks are different, Think of the bonnet as a normal car side door.
We shut the side doors by 'swinging' it or 'throwing' it right? We don't click close it and then push it do we? Similar style to be used here.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2013, 00:27   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Best way is to do like what the SA told you.
Alothough the locks are different, Think of the bonnet as a normal car side door.
We shut the side doors by 'swinging' it or 'throwing' it right? We don't click close it and then push it do we? Similar style to be used here.
I'm a bit surprised to hear that. My intention was to give as less force as possible on the locks while closing and I thought by simply making it fall down from 3/4th level, we might be doing more damage. Will follow this pattern from now on.
Old 28th April 2013, 08:45   #43
BHPian

Quote:
I'm a bit surprised to hear that. My intention was to give as less force as possible on the locks
Sir i have been following same less force way of closing bonnet on my 800 from past many years and still no issues!! I don't think it will cause any issues.
Old 28th April 2013, 13:57   #44
BHPian

Quote:

A few questions for you:
1. Do you recommend an oil + filter change at the 1st service/5k kms mark?
2. Have you changed the stock headlight bulbs?
3. Does your car have front windscreen film?

Ciao Brad,

1) I do not. Just get the air filter thoroughly cleaned. This is my personal opinion, considering sparing use by your dad. Having said this, I definitely recommend not waiting till 15K for the first service, 8-10K(max) should be the oil change period considering Indian driving conditions. And, check and cross check, that they are filling SELENIA K for petrol and not SELENIA WR for diesel. The SAs have a fixation for WR, as it is more widely used. (remember Diesel : petrol sales figures!!!)

2) No. But I wish to, very soon, with Osram NB+. (The post change beam adjustment would be a much more formidable task. I doubt if anyone around the ASS has any clue how to do it scientifically

3)No. I never opted for it while booking the car, and soon after, it was banned!.

The bonnet thingy: You would be using it quite infrequently unlike doors, so, how you shut it, may not be that critical.

BUT, invest in a INR250 can of WD40, and every month/6 weeks, spray all the door hinges, lock assemblies and boot locks etc. with the WD40. You will never hear squeaks. Immediately wipe off the overspray with a cotton rag. (See....gyaan always comes free !)

Closing gyaan : I see your battery is a stock EXIDE. Please, check the water level and top up with distilled water yourself. A 2 rupee coin will easily open the caps, and I am 99% certain, the water level inside, would leave you astonished! Use a clean funnel and gradual drips, to bring up to the desired level. Check every 3 months.

Bye

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 28th April 2013 at 14:01.
Old 28th April 2013, 14:23   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Hey, thanks buddy. Just saw your Rapid. You must be having real fun after 2000rpm. Wish I had something similar.

Regarding the wood trim, sorry I'm not aware of that. Do you own a Punto as well?
Well, it has been purchased very recently (friday) and thus, I haven't tested it much. To me, it feels sluggish at lower RPMs (below 2k) and has somewhat linear power delivery unlike sudden power kick in. At the end of the day, it is an AT and is meant to be driven with a light foot.
My left foot is unemployed these days!

The wood trim? My friend, desperately trying to be a member, is looking out for a car under 5.5L On-Road and is a bit confused about the purchased. He had booked the Figo petrol but cancelled the booking (No power window available for the rear) and has booked the Ritz ZXi. Yesterday he called me that Ritz is not SO spacious and he is cancelling the booking again! I told him to refer to your Punto thread. He feels the interiors bland and was asking whether wooden trims (fake) are available.
BTW, I wish to own this beauty, and still remember 'Crafted for a Fan' line! Let's wait for my Alto to age.

Sorry MODS if gone too much OT.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks