Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2012, 17:13   #301
BHPian

Re: Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspensio

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
What is your experience on the Baleno past this set up? Please do share the details of the installation with cost
Well, i am very happy with the adjusters. I dont scrape any of the speed breakers now even with 4 people on board. Not much difference to the ride either. Please note, i am a very sober driver and i mainly needed to eliminate the scrapping at speed breakers. So i wouldnt know the impact of this on high speed cornering,etc, etc.

The buying experience was effortless and Darryl was very helpful with detailed instructions. He was on hold at the other end during the installation process so the garage folks install it properly.

It cost me 4300 to buy and another 200/300Rs to install at the local garage. Got it installed at AutoMechs Koramangala.
m8002? is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 21:18   #302
Senior - BHPian

Re: Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspensio

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Well, i am very happy with the adjusters. I dont scrape any of the speed breakers now even with 4 people on board. Not much difference to the ride either. Please note, i am a very sober driver and i mainly needed to eliminate the scrapping at speed breakers. So i wouldnt know the impact of this on high speed cornering,etc, etc.

The buying experience was effortless and Darryl was very helpful with detailed instructions. He was on hold at the other end during the installation process so the garage folks install it properly.

It cost me 4300 to buy and another 200/300Rs to install at the local garage. Got it installed at AutoMechs Koramangala.
Thanks M8002? I am also fed up scraping of the speed breakers on full load on my steed. Will check up with Darryl.
Old 8th May 2012, 11:49   #303
BHPian

Does this void warranty by any chance? Have a new Jazz that seems to be keen on scraping the pavement often and having used an Innova before it just feels terrible.

Was also considering using it on an old opel corsa sail - how do I figure out if it works for it as well? Suggested places in Mumbai?

Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 12:46   #304
Senior - BHPian

@maverhick; Old Corsa no sweat. Any car with Coil Springs is a fit candidate.

As for the Jazz - If I were you, I will check out. Honda are pretty finicky about the warranty. I suggest you talk to the dealer, if he agrees, get the donuts and let him install them. Then they will not be able to object!!! You may have to show his SM this thread.
Old 10th May 2012, 18:52   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@maverhick; Old Corsa no sweat. Any car with Coil Springs is a fit candidate.

As for the Jazz - If I were you, I will check out. Honda are pretty finicky about the warranty. I suggest you talk to the dealer, if he agrees, get the donuts and let him install them. Then they will not be able to object!!! You may have to show his SM this thread.

I went ahead with the coil springs on my opel corsa sail. The best 4.2k I've spent on the car. I picked it up from N1 Racing in Prabhadevi Mumbai.

Firstly I had a good experience with N1 Racing. They investigated and found that the exhaust was a lil low and took to me to a nearby garage to get that fixed. The idea was that after lifting/fixing the lower exhaust, if there was no scraping there was no need for the coil springs.

They spent their time with me to sort out the exhaust - which just cost me Rs. 150. I then went tried a few speed breakers and although the scraping had reduced, it was still there. So decided to get the coils installed as well.

Was done in 30 mins and boy its so peaceful and joyous to punt around the car without worrying about the damn scraping. Joy!
maverhick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 11:43   #306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Hi Guys am planning to install these on the rear coils of my Civic very soon.

Now that you guys have had them for a long time i am looking forward to your feedback specifically on the response/change/advantage/disadvantage during high speed runs around corners and on a straight line with or without load.
Hey,
Apologies for the delayed response, was away from T-BHP for quite a while.
I no longer have the Civic but based on my experience of 6 months I would say this is not a permanent cure to our cars bottoming.

It surely eliminates the bottoming by about 50% but it will still thump and bottom if car is loaded and driven enthusiastically the tendency sure does reduce. I had these installed on all four corners and the car does stiffen up a bit.

One another aspect I remember is that these CSA do nothing to the car's behaviour while negotiating long sweeping curves, I mean the Civic has a tendency to hop if there are road irregularities mid-corner. Even with CSA this trait exists.

One other aspect is that the car's ride height increases by .5" or so. So scraping against speed breakers also is reduced.

For the price (5K), I feel this is a worthy upgrade.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 11th May 2012 at 11:52.
hiren.mistry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2012, 11:37   #307
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Now that you guys have had them for a long time i am looking forward to your feedback specifically on the response/change/advantage/disadvantage during high speed runs around corners and on a straight line with or without load.
I've done about 10,000 kms on the coil spring adjusters:

1. The scraping over speedbreakers is greatly, greatly reduced. If my Civic's underbody touched over 10 speedbreakers previously, now it does only over 2.

2. The car maintains a better ride height when loaded with passengers. It would be about 1/2 inch higher.

3. No difference in handling or grip levels at all, so don't look for improvements here. I like that the rear bounces around less though. This boosts confidence on a fast ghat section (like the one-way Igatpuri section).
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th May 2012, 16:50   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO

1. The scraping over speedbreakers is greatly, greatly reduced. If my Civic's underbody touched over 10 speedbreakers previously, now it does only over 2.

2. The car maintains a better ride height when loaded with passengers. It would be about 1/2 inch higher.

3. No difference in handling or grip levels at all, so don't look for improvements here. I like that the rear bounces around less though. This boosts confidence on a fast ghat section (like the one-way Igatpuri section).

Thanks... 1 & 2 is good news

Just a little more clarity on 3 - I am NOT looking at any improvement as far as the handling is concerned. All I want to be SURE about is that there is no deterioration in the handling or the grip levels as compared to stock.

I have this concern only because by adding the adjusters we are tampering with the well researched stock dynamics of the suspension.

The next thing that comes to my mind is - will the position of the adjusters on the coils impact point no 3? I know this has been discussed earlier...but would like your feedback regarding this since you have already had an experience of 10k kms

Last edited by KSM-Vtec : 12th May 2012 at 16:52.
Old 3rd June 2012, 16:08   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Now this is where I should have waited for your report. I never had a problem with the GC of my Corolla since its used mostly by just me and at times with my wife, so no third person in the car, once in a while 4 people sit with luggage and even then only scrapes on very nasty bumps (where even my Santro did with full load). I had ordered a set of these and even got it about 20 days back, but I was waiting for your report on handling before installing, since its not making any difference to handling, I have no use of it. I am sure there are many here who would want one, let me just put it up in classifieds.

GTO Sir, I really need your advice on how to improve handling of Corolla, I am not at all happy with it, bouncy at the back, swinging on the curves (spirited driving mode), I think springs are too soft, tuned for comfort.
Old 4th June 2012, 13:04   #310
BHPian

I have installed CSA(all 4) in my Palio S10 longtime back and completed more than 5000kms with these springs. It definitely increases the GC of the vehicle..and as everyone said before,Frequency of scraping speed breakers has decreased drastically even with full load.
Overall car height has increased and we can feel that back seat height also has increased.
Regarding handling,i am not a corner craver but i took it to a high speed in straight line and medium curves,It is as stable as before.
Definitely worth the money spent.
I am not sure if the front ones are really necessary though.

Last edited by Technocrat : 5th June 2012 at 00:32. Reason: We do not allow posting high speeds done on public roads, thanks
rock18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2012, 19:06   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
I am sure there are many here who would want one, let me just put it up in classifieds.
Is it already in the classified section? I could pick this up for my City. What is the height of the spacer? 1.5 or 1 inch?
Old 11th June 2012, 21:35   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
Is it already in the classified section? I could pick this up for my City. What is the height of the spacer? 1.5 or 1 inch?
Not yet, but if you want it might as well take it, there is nothing specified on the package but on measuring it, it looks like it is 1.5 inch. If you are interested PM me.

Mods: I hope it is OK on TBhp to do that! ?
Old 26th June 2012, 09:10   #313
BHPian

I purchased the spaces from Hansi (BHPian - Thanks Hansi). I also got them installed at Sejal Motors (ref: Team-BHP) on my Honda City - 3rd Gen. Suresh had the wheel removed to install the spaces.
  • I initially thought this could be installed without removing the wheel as GTO mentioned in his post, but this perhaps require a car lift.
  • After driving for about 30 KMs, the rear definitely feels very planted.
  • Specifically when going over the B'lore XL sized speed breakers earlier, I could feel the rear "sit down" after the back wheel clears the speed breaker (even at slow speeds). That did not happen in the Swift from our office. Now post installing the spacers, it does feel like in the swift.
  • Suresh measured the height difference (perhaps a crude way to measure) and mentioned that the height increased by .5 inches, but I could not notice the difference. (Photos taken before and after)
  • At the entrance of the office campus, there is an XL sized speed breaker. When the front wheels pass over, I can feel that "swinging" but not at the back.
  • Ride comfort does not appear to be compromized. Infact it feels a bit better. However I did not ride in the back seat yet.
  • I am doing a 2K KMS trip very shortly and will update the thread.
  • It cost me 400 bucks to install the spacers.
sudeepg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2012, 15:24   #314
BHPian

Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspensio

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
Not yet, but if you want it might as well take it, there is nothing specified on the package but on measuring it, it looks like it is 1.5 inch. If you are interested PM me.

Mods: I hope it is OK on TBhp to do that! ?
Hi!
I have been looking for Coil Spring Adjusters for my Logan Car for quite sometime now.
I would be glad if you could share some details viz. pics, brand, pricing, installation guide etc.
Regards.
Ameeth
Old 26th June 2012, 16:22   #315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameeth View Post
Hi!
I have been looking for Coil Spring Adjusters for my Logan Car for quite sometime now.
I would be glad if you could share some details viz. pics, brand, pricing, installation guide etc.
They are pretty universal. As long as there is a coil spring they can be installed. Only the amount you have to cut away will depend on the diameter of the coil springs. So look back in this thread and you will have your answers.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks