Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2010, 10:49   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: HELP!!..Dealer quoting astronomical amount for technically correct IKON headlight

If the car was repaired under insurance. The insurance should replace what ever was OE in the car. That is the HL unit with the levelling mechanism. Obviously they saved on their cost OR the dealer short changed you - got approval of the OE levelling lights & installed the cheaper fixed ones.

Think something is amiss
Old 21st December 2010, 11:46   #17
BHPian

Re: HELP!!..Dealer quoting astronomical amount for technically correct IKON headlight

Dhanush,
The ones without the headlight levelers wouldn't make any drastic difference, if you look at it from the functional aspect.
Still, see if you can retro-fit the headlight levelers on the existing ones.
Is the inner casing which holds the leveler motor intact? If so, I have a pair of the leveler motors (Hella) lying around.
Will see this weekend.

Last edited by jeeva : 21st December 2010 at 11:47.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2010, 13:25   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
If the car was repaired under insurance. The insurance should replace what ever was OE in the car. That is the HL unit with the levelling mechanism. Obviously they saved on their cost OR the dealer short changed you - got approval of the OE levelling lights & installed the cheaper fixed ones.

Think something is amiss
Well, I discovered that the HL Leveler does not work only after the work was completed and the car was delivered to me. When I went back to complain, A.S.S guys did not have a clue as to whats wrong. Only after hours of tearing apart my car's electricals, the service guy was enlightened about the fact that 'no motor' was the issue.

Later on, when the service guy asked me to shell out more money for motorized unit(we only get 50% from insurance), I checked the bills along with the insurance guy to confirm that I was billed correctly.

..but Ricky.. what people used to do is, like you me mentioned, take their car to a local workshop, bill the insurance 5k(10k MRP) for motorized unit, but, buy non-motorized ones(5.5k), so that you get those for just 500 bucks... Too late for me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
If both the levelling motors are good, then it should be possible mount the levelling motors inside the non-motorised HL unit. The outer casing and fitting procedures would commonized if both the lamps are of the same make.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
Dhanush,
The ones without the headlight levelers wouldn't make any drastic difference, if you look at it from the functional aspect.
Still, see if you can retro-fit the headlight levelers on the existing ones.
Is the inner casing which holds the leveler motor intact? If so, I have a pair of the leveler motors (Hella) lying around.
Will see this weekend.
Yes Jeevan, I have decided to run non motorized unit. Now, as I have got them focused almost right, visibility is good. Also, I doubt if we can retro-fit the HL Levelers into existing ones, as IKON's HL unit comes as a whole sealed unit and the connections are 'pinned' in. The 'leveler pin' is missing in the new unit. Check the pics below.

but then.. Its worth a try.. Lets see this weekend.

Dealer quoting astronomical amount for technically correct IKON headlights!!.-ikon-hl.jpg

There are 7 pins in the motorized ones, and only 6 in non-motorized.

Dealer quoting astronomical amount for technically correct IKON headlights!!.-ikon-hl2.jpg
Old 21st December 2010, 14:50   #19
BHPian

Danush,
Yes the unit is a sealed one. You need to remove the clips that hold the glass lens. Then patiently scrap and remove the silicone seal along the edge of the glass lens. Once you are sure that sufficient gel has been removed, try to pry out the glass using a small screw driver. The plastic case and the glass should split up. If it does'nt then remove some more of the gel.
Once your are done with removing the glass lens, take atmost care to keep it in a safe place. You might need a 7 mm allan key to remove the plastic bolts used for levelling and focus adjustments. Upon fully removing the plastic bolts the reflector comes off.
By chance if the levelling motor fitment is possible, then you may go ahead with the fitment by benchmarking the component layout from the old HL assembly. For wiring, you may remove and refit the wiring from the old HL to the new one. Carefully examine the green connector that you have circled in the picture. It is only a press fit connector. By releasing the notch on the connector, it should simply slide inside the HL assembly.
After fitment of the motor and reflector, generously apply Silicone gel around the HL assembly and place the glass and gradually press it to fit properly. Put back the clips and smoothen the excess gel so that you are convinced that the assembly is water proof. Apply more gel where ever required. With proper support leave the assembly for 6 hours till the gel cures. Take enough care that the glass faces upwards while you leave the gel for curing.
You may use the attached picture for headlamp levelling.
Items required.
- Large screwdriver (to remove the HL from the vehicle)
- Small screwdriver
- 1 large tube silicone gel
- Pumping gun for spreading the gel (can manage without this, but with difficulty)
Note: Donot rush up while removing the gel and prying the lens. Donot mess up while removing the old connector from the HL assembly.
Learn both the arts from the old assembly. Even if you mess up with the connector, you may even carry forward the wiring alone to the new connector. But that needs more care and is time consuming.
All the best, you will enjoy this DIY and feel happy with the results.
Attached Thumbnails
Dealer quoting astronomical amount for technically correct IKON headlights!!.-hl_level.jpg  

Old 22nd December 2010, 01:47   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

@ilangop; thanks bob!.. will try it out this weekend, and let you know.
Old 22nd December 2010, 20:56   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
I've heard that the DK MAX(Yes.. the lumax one) ones gets faded quickly?
Its the same material, same company. I don't think it will fade. Have installed this in many cars and none has faded till now.

Do you think this is faded

Dealer quoting astronomical amount for technically correct IKON headlights!!.-dk-max-large.jpg
Old 22nd December 2010, 21:51   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Do you think this is faded
Looks good.. and the price of 2200 in place of 6400 makes it look even better!..

Now I regret giving my car to A.S.S for the repairs. As it was a near head on collision, I could not afford to take the risk of a shoddy job, and lose reliability. Well, even thought the mechanicals seem to perfect, the paint job is indeed shoddy.

If possible, I will provide a cost break up of my total expense and corresponding parts changed. Lets compare it with 'top quality', (atleast OEM quality) replacement parts. Watsay??..

Last edited by dhanushs : 22nd December 2010 at 21:54.
Old 7th January 2011, 14:04   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Dealer quoting astronomical amount for technically correct IKON headlights!!.

Update:

@ ilangop : Last two weekends were so busy that I haven't had a chance to even wash my car properly, let alone correct the lights. But, with the detailed instruction you have provided, I will be trying it out as soon as I can free up some time. Will definitely let you know.

@ SirAlec : I'm posting a detailed cost break up of parts changed and pic of the accident, so that you people can get an idea.

Dealer quoting astronomical amount for technically correct IKON headlights!!.-10102010986.jpg
Dealer quoting astronomical amount for technically correct IKON headlights!!.-10102010989.jpg
  1. Compressor Oil (1438998) - 556.49 INR(200ml)
  2. Ford Emblem (1078445) - 299.44 INR
  3. Fender Guard RH (1090301) - 242.13 INR
  4. MLDG Bumper SXI (1104485) - 1967.42 INR
  5. Mesh Assy Chrome (1127346) -1402.76 INR
  6. Grill (1127347) - 110.17 INR
  7. Bar Rad Grill ZXI New (1127347) - 185.46 INR
  8. Hood (1133526) - 6260.39 INR
  9. FRT Mounting Assy (1135272) - 390.93 INR
  10. Retainer (1135713) - 109.95INR
  11. Hose Assy Lower(1149630) - 620.50INR
  12. HD/LP Assy (1252764) -2522.24 INR
  13. HD/LP Assy (1252764) -2522.24 INR
  14. Mirror RH (1358538) - 1328 INR
  15. HGH FRT Bumper UNPRMD(1466994) - 7193.76 INR
  16. PNL - FNDR OTR (1537965) - 1605.23 INR
  17. Fill - Front Fender RH (1563377) -323.34 INR
  18. Support - Fender (1079882) - 44.25 INR
  19. Rivet -Blind (6176415) - 51.15 INR
  20. Revet (1071415) - 222.60 INR
  21. Labour and services (P12001146) - 11,400.00 INR
Total Bill Including Tax - 44,112.00 INR
As Most of the parts had 50% depreciation(fiber) I had to pay about 15k of the bill.

BACK IN ITS FULL GLORY

Dealer quoting astronomical amount for technically correct IKON headlights!!.-dscn0605.jpg

Last edited by dhanushs : 7th January 2011 at 14:07.
Old 7th January 2011, 14:16   #24
BHPian

Re: Dealer quoting astronomical amount for technically correct IKON headlights!!.

Glad to see the Ikon back to full glory. Regarding the leveller thingy, My Ikon does not have one and its a 2004 model.

Looks like Ford introduced it in the Ikon sometime later ?
Old 7th January 2011, 14:44   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyboy4u View Post
Looks like Ford introduced it in the Ikon sometime later ?
Yes, I think so. Mine is an '07 Model. Well, I think these days its a 'law' to have it in 'ALL' cars.
Old 7th January 2011, 14:49   #26
Senior - BHPian

Hey Dhanush!! glad to see your car back in full glory, but how did it happen ?
looks like sideways shunt with a wall or another car ?
Old 8th January 2011, 10:54   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
... how did it happen ?
I was on my way to Mysore, when a Taxi Jeep, overtaking a truck, was all over the road. I tried my best to move off(even off road), but still he managed to bump into me. It was a 'Hit & Run'. .

ah, and one thing I failed to highlight is that, whatever you do iKON owners, never damage the grille. It costs about 2.5k just for the grille (chrome).

Last edited by dhanushs : 8th January 2011 at 10:57.
Old 8th January 2011, 23:33   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ah, and one thing I failed to highlight is that, whatever you do iKON owners, never damage the grille. It costs about 2.5k just for the grille (chrome).
How can one avoid that. i mean accidents happen in split seconds.

You were overcharged a lot.

As the wheel and its position looks intact, there is not much damage on the monocoque, Hence majority of the hit was on cosmetics of the car.

If it would have been done at my Mallu friends Garage. He would have wrapped it under 10k, seriously.

As bumper and bonnet was a doable job.
Old 9th January 2011, 00:06   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyboy4u View Post
Regarding the leveller thingy, My Ikon does not have one and its a 2004 model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Well, I think these days its a 'law' to have it in 'ALL' cars.
Just FYI, the internally adjustable headlamp levellers are a specific legal requirement for Euro-3 / BS-III (and higher) compliant cars. Therefore pre-BS-III cars do not have these levellers, but all cars registered after fulfilling BS-III norms have them.
Old 9th January 2011, 00:57   #30
Senior - BHPian

Dhanush, this is a matter of insurance claim, if the surveyor was knowledgeable and knew the difference between the motorized HL and the non motorised one, he would have recommended the right one, now the garage cannot help you, go back to the insurance company and file a under surveyed claim.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks