Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2010, 20:41   #1
BHPian

Experience - Castrol Magnatec Vs Total Quartz 7000

Starting this thread because I can not stop myself from doing it.

My 5 year old Swift has been running on Castrol Magnatec since last 3 years but this time I tried Total Quartz 7000 engine oil. I am extremely happy to notice below in my Swift. Please note that I have not done any additional servicing of my car like tuning, injector cleanup etc.

I changed engine oil after some 12000 KM when last time I filled up Magnatec. Also got new oil filter (obviously) and cleaned up the air filter.

On day one I felt no major change. On second day I felt that engine is getting smooth (low noise and more torque) but my baby behaves like that on her 'good days'. So I ignored it. But now it's now more than couple of weeks and my Swift seems really refined. Below are the things I have noticed...

1. Engine is too much smooth compared with when I used to use Magnatec. (I cranked the engine couple of times thinking that it is dead..)

2. There is considerable increase in the low rev torque. It almost feels like Fiat Linea diesel which has a generous torque on low rev.

3. For the first time I can see that my baby is pushing me back into seat hard on low RPM's !!!

4. I suspect that fuel efficiency has increased...however not sure on this as I have not calculated it seriously.

5. Pick up is increased and I can feel that

I think I will stick to Total Quartz now (semi synthetic)
For 1375 bucks, it is slightly expensive than magnatec but you get 4 litre pack and Swift will consume 3.6 litre.
Old 8th October 2010, 00:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing this review.

Is Total Quartz 7000 semi-synthetic like Magnatec?

I am also using Magnatec for the past 4+ years, will try Total Quartz in the next service.
Old 8th October 2010, 22:11   #3
BHPian

Yes Total Quartz 7000 is semi synthetic (10W40). There is Total Quartz 9000 also but I think that is synthetic.
Old 9th October 2010, 14:07   #4
BHPian

I have been using Total 7000 since 2 years now in my Dzire vxi. I get it from a friend who is a distributor for Total and costs me around Rs.1100. What I always felt was, Total 7000 has very good 'cleaning' properties - possibly the reason you started feeling the difference only after a few days - when the smudge and sludge started being washed :-)
Old 9th October 2010, 14:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragzv View Post
I Total 7000 has very good 'cleaning' properties -
when the smudge and sludge started being washed :-)
Can you please elaborate? How does one observe the sludge being washed away by this or any other oil? does the oil change color?
Thanks in advance
Old 9th October 2010, 23:58   #6
BHPian

Total 7000 is almost colourless unlike MASS supplied Servo, so it is easier to see the oil changing colour. The colour of Total is much darker after 500-1000 km of oil change unlike Servo which still used to be dark red in colour till the next change.

There used to be a technical document on Total website (cant find it any longer) - that used to mention that compared to all Total engine oils available in India (3000, 5000 & 7000) 7000 has the excellent detergent properties. But well that can be for the marketing part

Last edited by ragzv : 10th October 2010 at 00:00.
Old 10th October 2010, 04:27   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragzv View Post
I have been using Total 7000 since 2 years now in my Dzire vxi. I get it from a friend who is a distributor for Total and costs me around Rs.1100. What I always felt was, Total 7000 has very good 'cleaning' properties - possibly the reason you started feeling the difference only after a few days - when the smudge and sludge started being washed :-)
that's quite bit of saving and makes it near magnatec cost,
but not everybody is going to get that pricing.

I am planning a service to be done in coming week, and was considering magnatec, but now Total needs to be checked for availability and pricing in my town, i can spend that much if it really works.
Old 11th October 2010, 12:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

hey guys, I own a Getz Prime 1.3 GLS, which has clocked about 4.4k on the ODO. I had a drive from Bangalore-Chennai and Back last weekend. The Car performed brilliantly all through.
However, I felt a tad drop in performance after about 150-200kms of drive. I was really contemplating of changing over to an Expensive Synthetic oil soon but thanks to Abhay, I guess I have a Alternative and a lot economical option.

Had the following queries:
1. I have only used the OEM Engine Oil as the car has only completed its first sevice. Not sure which is the make Hyundai use but now Can I change over to Total Quartz 7000 ?
2. As I am from Bangalore, where can I get this Oil since couple of Autombile Acc shops denied selling one. What would be the cost?

Would really appreciate all your response guys.
Old 17th October 2010, 02:10   #9

Got Total Quartz 7000 finally!!!

Hey guys,

Just bought Total Quartz 7000 4 litre pack for 1250 bucks from Vasu Motors, Gandhinagar, Worli, near Smokeease (Talib bhai, highly recommended for exhaust work), packaging date is May 2010. Called up a 100 dealers before getting what I wanted
Old 2nd November 2010, 00:02   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyHyundai View Post
Hey guys,

Just bought Total Quartz 7000 4 litre pack for 1250 bucks from Vasu Motors, Gandhinagar, Worli, near Smokeease (Talib bhai, highly recommended for exhaust work), packaging date is May 2010. Called up a 100 dealers before getting what I wanted
I needed a oil change today, and was looking for "Total Quartz" but was not able to find one, only dealer who had Total products was quoting some version(don't remember exactly) was under Rs.700 for 3L pack so I took
Castrol Magnatec for my santro xing.

Although I've run the car for only 7-8 kms since then but frankly speaking I am yet to compare it with my earlier driving experience, felt smooth may be it was psychological after paying Rs.925 for oil.

I also replaced oil filter, coolant as it was due for change, apart from few unknown coolants I was shown, found "golden cruiser " and took it.

Experience - Castrol Magnatec Vs Total Quartz 7000-img01474.jpg

Experience - Castrol Magnatec Vs Total Quartz 7000-img01476.jpg
Old 2nd November 2010, 01:13   #11
CPH
BHPian

The only thing I would do with Magnatec is pouring it down the drain and that's illegal. So I leave it where it is in the shops.

Fromm making lots of tests with oils I found Magnatec the worst of all oils I ever could get my hands on bar part reclaimed oils.

Sheer stability is poor. Extreme pressure properties are poor and the rest is just about average.

Total Quartz is very good and I am not surprised to have seen these changes in engine behaviour when changing to Total from Castrol.
CPH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2010, 02:48   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post
The only thing I would do with Magnatec is pouring it down the drain and that's illegal. So I leave it where it is in the shops.

Fromm making lots of tests with oils I found Magnatec the worst of all oils I ever could get my hands on bar part reclaimed oils.

Sheer stability is poor. Extreme pressure properties are poor and the rest is just about average.

Total Quartz is very good and I am not surprised to have seen these changes in engine behaviour when changing to Total from Castrol.
Is this the improvement between upgrading the oil from magnatec to total in past,
or is it frustration of using castrol after total, which is certainly leaping back as total is making some real good feedbacks.
Old 11th December 2010, 12:31   #13
BHPian

Re: Experience - Castrol Magnatec Vs Total Quartz 7000

I bought two cans of Total Quartz 7000. One has a mfg date of 2008 (3 Lit) and one has a mfg date of 2009 (500 ml). Suprisingly 500 ml costed me 150 Rs. and 3 L was for 950 Rs. Total cost Rs. 1100 for the oil. There was also a free Gift which I forgot to collect. I will go to MASS for getting my Ritz serviced. Will update once I get the servicing done.
Old 11th December 2010, 12:46   #14
BHPian

Can I use it on my Camry?? Please suggest.
Also how will I know what engine oil does my car has?? Is it possible to identify the difference between synthetic and semi-synthetic by looking at it??

Note - All services were done in Toyota authorized dealership.
Old 11th December 2010, 13:24   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaybakshi View Post
For 1375 bucks, it is slightly expensive than magnatec but you get 4 litre pack and Swift will consume 3.6 litre.
Hmm. I had read that Swift needs 3.1 litres if you change the oil filter & 2.9 litres if you do not change the oil filter.
Looking at my old service bills, it looks like MASS has charged me either for 3.3 or 3.5 litres most of the time.

Does anyone know what is the exact grade/brand of oil used by the MASS for Swift?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks