Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2014, 00:19   #436
BHPian

Re: Some quality niggles & Issues in Fiat Punto

Dear modisan - battery failures do not manifest itself in the same way in all (punto) cars. But your symptoms point towards the strong possibility of battery gone kaput - especially if the ignition is not cranking. I had to change mine on my punto after 3 years, so I find it strange that you find it tough to believe that this has anything to do with your battery- i think it has everything to do with it.
milestogo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2014, 16:54   #437
BHPian

Dear milestogo, I think I left you confused. Thanks nonetheless for the suggestion. The car is cranking good and that was the reason I found it hard to believe that battery should turn bad. However too many crankings have in turn left it weak over past 4-5 incidents.

Battery on my Chevy Spark (Aug 09) lasted 3 years too but it failed due to sudden low less usage post arrival of Punto, sometimes not even started for days. I felt like making it last 4 years with timely servicing and full usage but alas!

Your starting sentence sums it up though. If this indeed is the case then perhaps FIAT has designed it that way wherein a 1-2% (or maybe 4-6% but no more than that) weak battery will wreak havoc on the user forcing him to change it much earlier compared to a Swift owner. But I wonder why as rarely would one buy a battery from FIAT. Defying my own logic but then why can't a 5% battery take up an Immobiliser's load or of ABS (or is that heavy?).

I should be trying a service battery soon, during the weekend. Any suggestions for a new one?
Old 5th January 2014, 01:46   #438
BHPian

Okay I still dont understand that if the cranking is perfect then how too many crankings are a problem. Anyways please let us know how you do with the battery change. If it is exide, why dont you call exide batt mobile.
Old 30th January 2014, 13:15   #439
BANNED

Dear Friends,
Off late I'm finding a weird problem when locking using remote. It's not locking instead it's unlocking. So I need to use my keys to lock my car. It's an Emotion Diesel - 2013 variant. Pl advise

Regards,
Siva
Old 2nd February 2014, 15:12   #440
Senior - BHPian

Warranty claims taken so far in my punto:
  • Replacement of switchgear control stalk
  • Replacement of steering column
  • Replacement of both the front door stoppers
  • Replacement of rear parcel tray
  • Replacement of LHS front suspension arm for cracked rubber bush
  • Replacement of Rear LHS shocker
  • Replacement of front brake pads
  • Replacement of brake discs
  • Replacement due: driver's front seat frame on which the seat base sits
sidindica is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2014, 16:46   #441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Would you remember the ODO reading at which the replacements happened? That shall help us ascertain (more importantly track) the average life of such parts. It will be interesting to see how many other Punto owners face such high rate of failure.

My Punto has been more or less niggle-free however, it hardly has done any millage. The T-jet had battery replacement at 10K, clutch replacement at 21K and power-windows module replaced at 15K. While the brakes have been squealing for a very long time, they have refused warranty stating wear&tear. There's no loss in braking efficiency so, I am waiting for third service to get the disc and pads changed.
Biraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2014, 12:16   #442
BHPian

• Replacement of Oring gasket and re charging of gas
  • Replacement of Front right wheel bearing (17500km)
  • Replacement of Rear Right door lock
Niggles or issues facing currently is thud sound missing while closing front right door which results in painful clank. SA unable to rectify the same. Reinforcement beam inside the door is not welded with inside of door to support the metallic shudder caused during closing heavily.

Can this problem be rectified.
Old 15th March 2014, 10:36   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Any specific reason that you were able to get these changed under warranty. Generally pads come under normal wear and tear and at times even brake dics fall under the same category.

I am keen to know the reason as my Punto Multijet has done only 17 k and the service guy claims the pads need to be changed immediately.
Old 16th March 2014, 17:48   #444
BHPian

Quote:
  • Replacement of switchgear control stalk
  • Replacement of steering column
  • Replacement of both the front door stoppers
  • Replacement of rear parcel tray
  • Replacement of LHS front suspension arm for cracked rubber bush
  • Replacement of Rear LHS shocker
  • Replacement due: driver's front seat frame on which the seat base sits
Hey Sid, can you please elaborate the steering column replacement. I have been facing a 'click click' noise randomly from the steering and the service guys are unable to identify it. kindly share your experience.
Old 16th March 2014, 19:27   #445
BHPian

Does anyone here have the Punto 1.4 Emotion? Does it make sense to buy a used one?

The one I'm looking at is a 2009 model and it has covered only 14,000 kms and hence Im interested in it. Haven't checked it out personally yet but it looks in good nick in the pictures. The Emotion comes pretty loaded and the dealer is quoting a price for which I would only get 7 year old Swift Vxis and similar.

What all do I need to check for when I go to see this car? Anything specific for the 1.4 petrol engine?

I actually went to check out a Linea but it seemed to have some electrical problems because the horn, some lights, one power window, wiper, etc were not working.

I know the Punto isn't completely niggle-free and I can live with minor issues but not something major like clutch, AC, steering failures. In fact my folks are against cars like Fiat, Skoda(right so), VW, Ford but I love the GP.

Last edited by StrangeWizard : 16th March 2014 at 19:28.
Old 16th March 2014, 19:48   #446
Senior - BHPian

@Strange Wizard: Find out the reason for the low mileage, since you are buying from a dealer.

Inspect the car in flesh, pics can never tell you the whole story.

There were recalls for the CSC, whose piston was made of plastic initially, later replaced with a metal one. Check if this was done to the car.

Check service records and insurance history.
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 22:44   #447
BHPian

I had a problem of steering jerk after installation of ground clearance kit on my punto for over an year now. Tried many things to identify the problem but no success. Today on a routine service got the steering belt inspected and it was loose. Got it replaced and the jerks are gone. Moral: pls check the tension on power steering belt if you have a jerky steering. Punto's PS belt doesn't have auto adjustment feature. Cost is INR 1680 @ Chandigarh.
Old 10th December 2014, 16:19   #448
BHPian

After Sales Service issues -
Vecto Motors, Hosur Rd, BLR - Refused to change the engine oil which I got - Mobil1 Delvac that was purchased from 99rpm. They said they have engine seizures with poeple putting in the Oil that they have got, and denied service. After speaking to the manager, decided to give it at KHT, who agreed to replace the oil (during the 45K service) as long as the car isnt in warranty. I even told Vecto that I am willing to take my own risk, and sign a wavier if needed. They outrightly denied and say that its FIAT orders not to use any other Oil other than Selena!!

Had another problem in the past with Vecto -
Gave the car for a routine service complaining of Black smoke from exhaust. They didn't bother to fix it, and said it happens. Drove to Hyderbad, and dropped in at Ankita Motors, within a few mins, they said that the Turbo pipe had broken, and got it replaced. Got to know that this is common issue with the Puntos. Surprised that Vecto couldn't diagnose this common issue. I had to drive close 5K Kms with that broken turbo pipe. Wonder if I damaged the engine with heavy load :-(
ahwajid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2015, 03:11   #449
BHPian

Dear all,

In the Punto that I use, I do have not come across any niggles till a month ago. I was experience hard clutch from some time an I gave it to Sky Moto Fiat, Akurdi, Pune. Result: The entire clutch kit had to be changed at 8,000 kilometers. The ODO stands at 34,000 kilometers at the time this was done. So, here are a few questions that I am trying to find answers...
1) What are the causes for hard clutch? (from the point of view of driving habits)
2) Does the entire clutch kit assembly needs a change due to this?
3) After getting a brand new clutch kit, does it not need tuning in with the engine properly?

Once the operation was done, the clutch and driveability has had massive change. The clutch is willing to come back it's normal position whenever pressed with a strong force.

Another niggle that I am recently facing is the indicator stoke not adjusting after a turn has been completed. After reading through the forum, I tried the extreme left - extreme right method twice but it does not seem to work. I guess garage visit is a must for this again.
Old 17th February 2015, 23:43   #450
BHPian

Dear Bhpians,

Need your help!!

Yesterday I have run into a very strange issue with my Punto-90hp. The passenger side Central AC vent is throwing warm/less-cool air than other AC vents. Except that vent, all other vents are working alike & perfect . I did all experiments, but this behaviour was consistent.

Today, I went to Vecto Fiat, at first they did not buy what I said, they told me all Puntos and Lineas are like this, a technician set the car temp to 22C and claimed that all 4 vents are cool, at that time outside temp was 31C. I have increased the car temp to 26C and the problem was reproduced. I along with 3 technicians & a thermometer did the same test on a Linea, it worked perfectly. Now, they got convinced that something is wrong with my car and said they would flush the freon and fill it back. But, even after that, the central left vent was throwing warm/less-cool air.

After this, service executive told me AC-flap actuators could be in fault here. To fix that, they would replace HVAC unit (INR 20000) under warranty and it would take 3 days to fix on my car as the dashboard has to be removed. They told me, if FIAT has to approve this, then Dealer has to send a DIR (Dealer info report) to FIAT and the next steps will follow.

I am very much confused now, a 1 Year old Punto which has got a faulty HVAC?? Guys, I need your help, did any of your car has run into this issue in the past?

Please suggest me what to do, I am unsure if FIAT is driving this properly...

-Sai

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks