Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2009, 18:01   #1396
Team-BHP Support

Actually adding glow plugs changes nothing for cranking mechanism. All that needs to be added is a parallel circuit connected to ignition key.
What this does it that when key is put in on potion, it sends current to glow plugs.
There is a timer, which turns of glow plugs when
1. A pre determined time is over
2. User cranks the engine.

Number 2 is important, because if engine is fired and fuel ignites when glow plugs are still on, they will get damaged.
Old 29th October 2009, 18:06   #1397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
The instrument cluster has a lot of lights that are not applicable to a particular model - as you can see for yourself, you have the ABS & SRS indicators but neither exist in your model. The instrument cluster does not really change from model to model.
There are no Glow Plugs in the 3.0L
.I rest my case.
Thanks for the detailed clafirications.

Now my next query.
Does any one know where I can get skid plates made/buy of the stock for my safari in bangalore?
I would prefer a local fabricator/workshop rather than TASC.
Thanks in advance.
Old 1st November 2009, 04:23   #1398
Senior - BHPian

Guys
I got the call for the retro fitting in my BEAR yesterday!!!
The driver will take the vehicle to the workshop today and I will update in the evening!!!
Old 2nd November 2009, 11:12   #1399
Team-BHP Support

The power window operation has totally gone for a toss. At speed if you roll down and then roll back up, the window does not close. you have to bang on the glass to make it completely close.
This happened after the retro!
Old 2nd November 2009, 17:33   #1400
BHPian

I have a question:
Picked up 2.2 LX Dicor last Tuesday. While braking at higher speeds ~80kmph, I felt the vehicle pulled to the left. Went to the service advisor and reported the issue.
The technical experts aka technicians/mechanics removed the front wheels, took out the brake pads, scrubbed them with sand paper and put them back on. Bleeding was an option they were considering, but suggested that I drive and test it again and come back if the issue persists.
Now though I did not get a chance to go beyond 60 kmph is the Delhi traffic, but I noticed that the acceleration is smoother. Has smoother acceleration got anything to do with what the technicians did?
Please enlighten me.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-pic081.jpg  

Old 2nd November 2009, 19:37   #1401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItMyLife View Post
I have a question:
Picked up 2.2 LX Dicor last Tuesday. While braking at higher speeds ~80kmph, I felt the vehicle pulled to the left. Went to the service advisor and reported the issue.
The technical experts aka technicians/mechanics removed the front wheels, took out the brake pads, scrubbed them with sand paper and put them back on. Bleeding was an option they were considering, but suggested that I drive and test it again and come back if the issue persists.
Now though I did not get a chance to go beyond 60 kmph is the Delhi traffic, but I noticed that the acceleration is smoother. Has smoother acceleration got anything to do with what the technicians did?
Please enlighten me.

Cheers
Sri,

When I last drove your vehicle, the braking issue was there even at speeds of ~ 60kmph. When you come to my place or drive to your office, try a little bit of hard braking. That'll let you know if the issue still persists. As mentioned in the morning, maybe the sanding freed up brake pad a bit. Just my 2 paise on it. I'll leave it to the gurus for their feedback.

BTW, this looks like the front right wheel. The pic should have been of the front left wheel!

Last edited by rideon : 2nd November 2009 at 19:39. Reason: Question on picture
Old 2nd November 2009, 19:53   #1402
BHPian

Quote:
I have a question:
Please enlighten me.

Cheers
This is a common problem. I am facing this problem from the day one! I got my EX some 15 days back. Till now, all they do is pt out the brake pads, rub them and put them in again. But issue havent solved at all.

Now what they did last time, they removed some black color steel plate from the brake pads, the mechanic was saying that its for the gap between pads. After that he did a test drive and said its better but not completely resolved. I am not sure about the same as I am having fever from a few days and not able to drive the car. Will check it in a day or two.
Old 2nd November 2009, 21:04   #1403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The power window operation has totally gone for a toss. At speed if you roll down and then roll back up, the window does not close. you have to bang on the glass to make it completely close.
This happened after the retro!
I doubt the retro has anything to do with this! The windows are not ECU controlled, LOL!
Old 2nd November 2009, 21:06   #1404
Team-BHP Support

A separate retro was done for power windows too. ECU was just one of the things
Old 2nd November 2009, 22:03   #1405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
A separate retro was done for power windows too. ....
What did they do?
Change the motors or just the tracks?
Old 2nd November 2009, 22:26   #1406
Senior - BHPian

I am having serious doubts of whether i should go for the retro, if and when they call me. After all these niggles and negative feedback being reported after the retro, i wonder if its any good in the first place..

Until now the following have been reported post retro:
Reduced mileage.
Increased noise.
More vibes at certain speeds.
Heating issues.
Now, power window issues.
Did I miss anything..?

all this just reinforcing my 'Dont fix if it aint broke' funda!!

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 2nd November 2009 at 22:27.
Old 2nd November 2009, 23:47   #1407
BHPian

I had a prob. The main wire under the bonnet got cut by the radiator fan. They replaced the entire wirining at ABS free of cost. Post that while driving to Punajabi Bagh fron Gurgaon, the next day, I had power loss near the airport. I did not take any risk and returned home to take my Esteem for the dinner. I took it too ABS today. Guess what I found out.
The radiator cap was not secured and hence the coolent evaporated/spilled (due to lack of pressure). Hence the power loss. Coolent was filled and everything was fine. But this shows how careless TASS guys are.

However after the upgrades the engine noise has gone up and the sound is quite griff. The smoothness has gone. I guess this are few of the free bees that you get with a Safari????
Old 3rd November 2009, 09:25   #1408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
What did they do?
Change the motors or just the tracks?
Neither the motors(s) or the tracks just bracket / reinforcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
I am having serious doubts of whether i should go for the retro, if and when they call me. After all these niggles and negative feedback being reported after the retro, i wonder if its any good in the first place..

Until now the following have been reported post retro:
Reduced mileage.
Increased noise.
More vibes at certain speeds.
Heating issues.
Now, power window issues.
Did I miss anything..?

all this just reinforcing my 'Dont fix if it aint broke' funda!!
I also felt the
1. Increased noise
2. More vibrations at some speeds

No heating issues / power window problems till date. Power windows were
not upgraded since the vehicle already had the modification.

The increased noise and vibrations were mainly due to shoddy re-assemby by TASS. When pointed out they rectified everything (again) and now the vehicle is running like a dream - any (maybe) because of no Krrr.... noise (EGR changed to 90 mm) there is a feeling / preception that the vehicle is now more silent.

Last edited by kingshukt : 3rd November 2009 at 09:27.
Old 3rd November 2009, 10:38   #1409
Senior - BHPian

Dear Godfather and ItMyLife you have an alignment issue ask those idiots to check the wheel alignment and do the "Shim" adjustment.
I would advice stand over their head when your vehicle is on the ramp for alignment and check that Caster and Camber values are with in the range.

If in the print anything is shown in red that is causing the problem do not buy thier reasoning " ki is se kuch nahi hota"

After alignment go for test drive and a level road. Even if it is pulling the person with you on test drive will try to convince you that it is due to road not being levelled the key is that you should not feel any effort on your tricep to keep it straigt. Going after a workout can help detect this very easily LOL.

Break pad cleaning can not solve this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE Godfather View Post
This is a common problem. I am facing this problem from the day one! I got my EX some 15 days back. Till now, all they do is pt out the brake pads, rub them and put them in again. But issue havent solved at all.

Now what they did last time, they removed some black color steel plate from the brake pads, the mechanic was saying that its for the gap between pads. After that he did a test drive and said its better but not completely resolved. I am not sure about the same as I am having fever from a few days and not able to drive the car. Will check it in a day or two.
Quote:
I have a question:
Please enlighten me.

Cheers
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:46   #1410
Senior - BHPian

Its a Front Left BRAKE CALLIPER ISSUE. Please ask the TASS to change it and check.

After getting the same rectified from TML, the issue hasnt comeback in last 8000kms on my safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Dear Godfather and ItMyLife you have an alignment issue ask those idiots to check the wheel alignment and do the "Shim" adjustment.
I would advice stand over their head when your vehicle is on the ramp for alignment and check that Caster and Camber values are with in the range.

If in the print anything is shown in red that is causing the problem do not buy thier reasoning " ki is se kuch nahi hota"

After alignment go for test drive and a level road. Even if it is pulling the person with you on test drive will try to convince you that it is due to road not being levelled the key is that you should not feel any effort on your tricep to keep it straigt. Going after a workout can help detect this very easily LOL.

Break pad cleaning can not solve this issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItMyLife
I have a question:
Please enlighten me.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks