Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2009, 21:58   #946
BHPian

Spoke to the station manager today, it seems for my vehicle only the timing belt and ECU flashing was done, they opened up both the front doors but nothing was required to be done as per him.

Did not have a chance to see the service bill as the vehicle was delivered to my home and all the driver brought was the feedback form, I tend to give them the credit just for trying to sort out the issues all they can and so things work out both ways.
Old 27th July 2009, 23:22   #947
BHPian

Are things finally all right!?

Guys,

I am rather pleased with today's update to the car, I am thinking maybe TML has got it right this time (at least at first glance based on my 20km ride home).

The car seems much better in 3 key areas:
1. Engine sound - Since my service light issue, I have had a constant issue with the engine sound. There has been a phur-phur type of noise as you rev the engine up instead of a nice hum that you would normally expect. After the ECU replacement, the sound was much reduced - but it was definitely still there and I was reconciling to myself that it's probably gonna stay this way. Every time I showed it to the TASS, they said it was just the sound of the Turbocharger. Well, today, the car seems much more quieter, the phur-phur sound is almost gone, there is a nice hum as you rev up - like Country Road, even I felt when the car was first bought that it sounded nice and quiet like a petrol engine. Today it's sounding much more like a petrol engine!

2. Engine smoothness - After the ECU replacement and after about 500kms of driving - a small but perceptible jerk/hiccup in the engine had started as you coasted downwards from 3000 rpm and reached 2000 rmp - like it was struggling to turn over - and needed some acceleration... this seems to have gone now and it seems much smoother.

3. Pickup - this maybe just in my head but it seems like my 1st and 2nd gear pickups have come back!

Will be really interesting to hear if anyone else has experienced similarly after the updates and also if someone has a clearer idea of the updates being done in this round.

Thanks

P.S. My team bhp stickers have come and they are awesome...need to put them up this weekend!
Old 28th July 2009, 19:40   #948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburagohain View Post
Spoke to the station manager today, it seems for my vehicle only the timing belt and ECU flashing was done, they opened up both the front doors but nothing was required to be done as per him.

Did not have a chance to see the service bill as the vehicle was delivered to my home and all the driver brought was the feedback form, I tend to give them the credit just for trying to sort out the issues all they can and so things work out both ways.

I got a call too for this. Spoke to the Customer Relationship chap at Concorde and was told it is a timing belt replacement for some vehicles. Got to go tomorrow.
Old 28th July 2009, 21:06   #949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
I got a call too for this. Spoke to the Customer Relationship chap at Concorde and was told it is a timing belt replacement for some vehicles. Got to go tomorrow.
Is it possible to get a rough estimation of the batches recalled for the fix when you visit tomorrow???
Old 29th July 2009, 10:39   #950
BHPian

I got call from Concorde about the checkup from Pune engineers. But, I was caught up with some work and couldn't go. Have to check with them, if the replacement can still be done.
Old 30th July 2009, 10:19   #951
BHPian

Help needed

Hi Everybody,

I bought my beast two weeks back and have started a thread https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...arl-white.html (Safari Vx 4x4 Pearl White)

I had some problems with my HID leveling, but got it fixed at TASS. I have a few more problems/queries. Experts please help....

I'm having a problem with the radio when I reverse and the reverse cam comes on. The radio starts giving out a hissing noise and like as if there is poor radio signal. Also is there any special care I need to take for the reverse cam.
I want to change the front fog lamp bulbs and the front parking light bulbs to the white/blue types. Osram sells these, but I'm not sure about the specs. I have a pictre of the bulbs ofered by Osram. Hope someone can help me out here.

I am also attaching a few pics of my beast.....
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-.jpg  

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-b.jpg  

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-c.jpg  

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-d.jpg  

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-e.jpg  

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-osram-bulbs.jpg  

Old 30th July 2009, 13:13   #952
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidcruise79 View Post
I'm having a problem with the radio when I reverse and the reverse cam comes on. The radio starts giving out a hissing noise and like as if there is poor radio signal. Also is there any special care I need to take for the reverse cam.
I want to change the front fog lamp bulbs and the front parking light bulbs to the white/blue types. Osram sells these, but I'm not sure about the specs. I have a pictre of the bulbs ofered by Osram. Hope someone can help me out here.
Sid,

The hissing sound or the interference in stereo is due to improper earthing while installing the Reverse Camera.

Also, it can be due to some wire getting shorted with another one.

so please check all the wiring, and get it done properly again specailly earthing.

Regarding the bulb, please check the wattage of the Fog Lamp bulb from Owner' manual or by taking out a bulb from the forg Lamp and buy the one from Osram with same Wattage and specifications. I have forgotten the specs but the 3rd bulb from the bottom looks to be the one used for fog Lamp.

cheers

Last edited by simply_sunny001 : 30th July 2009 at 13:14.
Old 30th July 2009, 13:21   #953
Team-BHP Support

I am not a big fan of HID in main lights.
There are 2 reasons for that
1. Without a projector no matter where you aim, you will cause lots of glare to oncoming traffic.
2. What if your bulb goes kaput. With normal bulbs you carry a couple of spares along, and anytime you have a fuse, all you need to do is change the bulb.
But lets say you are driving in night and HID bulb fuses on a highway.

As for fogs its 55W H3 which goes in Safari. It available from normal parts shops for 80-90rs/pair(Osram)
Old 30th July 2009, 16:38   #954
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I am not a big fan of HID in main lights.
There are 2 reasons for that
1. Without a projector no matter where you aim, you will cause lots of glare to oncoming traffic.
2. What if your bulb goes kaput. With normal bulbs you carry a couple of spares along, and anytime you have a fuse, all you need to do is change the bulb.
But lets say you are driving in night and HID bulb fuses on a highway.

As for fogs its 55W H3 which goes in Safari. It available from normal parts shops for 80-90rs/pair(Osram)
No problem for that as the HID setup is clipon. So if a bulb does get fused u bypass the starter ballast and attach the original wire to the back of the OEM bulb and voila you are ready to go. The guy who fixed the HID's showed me this and it takes max 2 minutes. And yes now I have 4 spare bulbs.

Yes there is a little glare to oncoming traffic, but atleast they use their dipper when I flash them. Sometimes I fell like pulling out my hair when drivers don't dip their lights, well that doesn't happen now.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
Sid,

The hissing sound or the interference in stereo is due to improper earthing while installing the Reverse Camera.

Also, it can be due to some wire getting shorted with another one.

so please check all the wiring, and get it done properly again specailly earthing.

Regarding the bulb, please check the wattage of the Fog Lamp bulb from Owner' manual or by taking out a bulb from the forg Lamp and buy the one from Osram with same Wattage and specifications. I have forgotten the specs but the 3rd bulb from the bottom looks to be the one used for fog Lamp.

cheers
I shall get the wiring/earthing thoroughly checked on my first service. I also thought that the third last bulb should be the correct one for the H3 lamps.

Last edited by sidcruise79 : 30th July 2009 at 16:40. Reason: Put reply within quotes of Sunny
Old 31st July 2009, 12:38   #955
Senior - BHPian

Total Recall

So here are the details of the Updation (I wonder why they dont call it as recall) which was done.

1) ECU flashing
2) ECU Cover to protect from water changed, problem reported here first.

Name:  ECU cover.jpg
Views: 2510
Size:  192.9 KB

3) Timing belt changed

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-timingbelt.jpg

4) Timing Pulley/s changed

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-timingbeltpulley.jpg

5) Timing belt tensioner/ idler changed

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-timing_belt_tensioner_pulleys.jpg

6) Timing Belt cover not appropriate, changed

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-timing-belt-cover.jpg

7) Water pump was leaking into the timing belt casing, minute leak but visible due to the white marks inside the cover, changed.

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-water_pump2.jpg

8) A/C pipe insulation, for better cabin cooling, was done.
9) A/C condensor Fuse changed to 30A now as it would melt in the Fuse
box, again reported here first.

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-30a-condensor-fuse.jpg

They grouped the vehicle into 4 types which is directly proportional to the parts/ time required, details of which I have posted here.

So if you get a call dont miss this Major updation as this is being done directly by the technicians from Pune plant and under their direct supervision.
Old 31st July 2009, 13:10   #956
Team-BHP Support

Is the ECU cover retrofit a free retrofit or you have to pay for it?
Old 31st July 2009, 14:28   #957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Is the ECU cover retrofit a free retrofit or you have to pay for it?
Everything is under Warranty, hence a '0' value invoice.
Old 31st July 2009, 14:47   #958
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Everything is under Warranty, hence a '0' value invoice.
So is this recall/retrofit/free checkup being done for all the existing 2.2VTTs??
Old 31st July 2009, 15:22   #959
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
So is this recall/retrofit/free checkup being done for all the existing 2.2VTTs??
Yes, as I understood. They need to atleast check to determine the Type(A,B,C,D) of updation required for you.

It might not be valid for very new batches of vehicle, but they just need 15-20 min to check that.

Last edited by dadu : 31st July 2009 at 15:25.
Old 31st July 2009, 16:16   #960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Yes, as I understood. They need to atleast check to determine the Type(A,B,C,D) of updation required for you.

It might not be valid for very new batches of vehicle, but they just need 15-20 min to check that.
Forgot to add, the spares for this are stocked and tracked by the Pune technicians and your T.A.S.S might not be having it readily available, if they are not part of this updation. So check with them on the schedule for this activity.

Last edited by dadu : 31st July 2009 at 16:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks