Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2011, 12:27   #3136
Team-BHP Support

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

I am surprised. Some time back Tata did a retro where my safari was also called. They changed the entire timing kit and water pump etc., as part of the retro. did your safari get timing belt upgrade? Apparently. all older 2.2s can break their timing belt anytime
Old 7th March 2011, 12:29   #3137
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
If it had ill effect, all Fuels pumps would have failed by now ,since all cars (Petrol & diesel) need fuel pumps.
I would disagree here. Sulfur content in fuel increases lubricity. Thats one of the major challenges MFRs faced with clean diesel, and partially this is compensated by API-CH4 and API-CI4 oils.
If you drive an old diesel and use Bharat Stage IV fuel, the fuel pump life will reduce. Of course it will not kill the fuel pump altogether, but what should last 200,000kms will now last 110-120000kms.
Old 7th March 2011, 13:15   #3138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I am surprised. Some time back Tata did a retro where my safari was also called. They changed the entire timing kit and water pump etc., as part of the retro. did your safari get timing belt upgrade? Apparently. all older 2.2s can break their timing belt anytime

Is this a recent retro or the one that Tata did in 2009-10 for a lot of Safari's (Power window, Dust Cover for ECU etc).

I would like to know if I should contact Tata and inquire about this Timing Kit and Water Pump retro. Mine is an April 2009 model.
Old 7th March 2011, 13:25   #3139
Team-BHP Support

April 2009 Safari's should have the timing belt fix. However, you can contact your service center.
Nevertheless, at the next service ask them to open the timing kit cover and visually inspect the timing belt. If its getting cut it means its old version, and then under warranty they will need to replace everything.
Old 7th March 2011, 13:46   #3140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I took my Safari for that upgrade. A Pune based technician was inspecting all cars. After thorough inspection he told me that my Safari did not require the timing belt upgrade. But he did add an ecu cover. My Safari is OCT 08 manufactured.

After I got the coolant of my Safari changed in the 60 k service (done in october 2010), it started leaking the coolant. First time the service center said its draining from the overflow tank. Second time they said some pipe was loose. In the third instance they told me that the water body was leaking coolant. (Feb 2011) . In the intervening period I kep a close tab on the car and would top up the overflow tank with water.

When I finally got the water body changed the odo reading was 74K. The service center did not honour my extended warrant, because I had missed one regular service. Which I had actually not missed. I think it was the 15 k service. While I had got the oil and things like that changed at 10K. So didnt bother taking the vehicle for the 15K show. It is now, standing @74 K, that I have been told that my extended warrant is null and void because I missed one regular service.

Last edited by rrsteer : 7th March 2011 at 13:56.
Old 7th March 2011, 13:51   #3141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would disagree here. Sulfur content in fuel increases lubricity. Thats one of the major challenges MFRs faced with clean diesel, and partially this is compensated by API-CH4 and API-CI4 oils.
If you drive an old diesel and use Bharat Stage IV fuel, the fuel pump life will reduce. Of course it will not kill the fuel pump altogether, but what should last 200,000kms will now last 110-120000kms.
You didnt get my point, what I am saying is that based on the Fuel specifications provided by OMC's and as per national Fuel policy documents, the fuel lubricity is the same for BSIII & BSIV, despite the reduction in Sulphur.

Therefore it doesnt make a difference if you look at the fuel specification from lubricity perspective.

Last edited by dadu : 7th March 2011 at 13:53.
Old 7th March 2011, 20:25   #3142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Where did you see this? 2000 RPM is way too low for diesels, unless, it is a tractor engine. May be OK for a petrol engine too?

Go as per owners manual. Just, keep varying the speed on different gears, i.e. don't do a steady run at a high RPM for say more than 10 minutes. Keep eye on the temp gauge. You should be good to go.

-BJ

Thank God.. Thats a saviour.. I donno where the 2k rpm number came from, but saw it on several threads as a rule to be followed for newbies.
Old 7th March 2011, 21:12   #3143
BHPian

Hi Experts,

I own a Tata Safari 2.2VTT Lx (2008 model) and had referred this thread in the past, whenevr I need information on this vehicle. I have a plasant experience with this vehicle during my close-to-40000km of usage so far (and often over-achieving the family requirements in terms of accomodating people, their lugguage and riding comfort during long trips).
Recently I started hearing a loud sound ('thud' like noice) when I switch on the air conditioner. Usually I start the engine, move the vehicle after a minute of idling and switch on the a/c after 500m to 1 km of driving. I am doing car-pooling along with 2 of my colleagues, so the car will be parked/ unused 3-4 days continuously, some times. I have noticed this sound only if I keep the car parked for 2-3 days (If i use the car daily - and use the a/c daily- then there is no sound.) Also, there is no issue if I switch off the a/c and switch it on middle of the drive or later in the day after I take the for a drive.

Is the above bahavior normal? I don't remember hearing this sound brfore during my 3 years of ownership, though. Does anybody here have a similar experience?

I am planning to visit the TASS in near future regarding wheel alignment / balancing which got lost (I believe) during a recent Banalore -Trichy trip via Musiri. The stretch near Musiri was very bad (I have never seen worse road than this!) and I need to get the wheels aligned / balanced. If any action is needed on the a/c front, then I can combine that too in my visit to TASS.

Your help/suggestions/comments are welcome.

-Sunil.
Old 7th March 2011, 22:35   #3144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil_k_u View Post
... started hearing a loud sound ('thud' like noice) when I switch on the air conditioner... noticed this sound only if I keep the car parked for 2-3 days (If i use the car daily - and use the a/c daily- then there is no sound.) ...
Guessing- the compressor magnetic clutch may be jamming, if left unused longer. It is unusual but, does not look serious to me. Get it checked at TASS. You can do your homework by opening the hood and testing it yourslef in the morning before you drive off to daily grind. Check the movement of the belt drive and AC rotor.

-BJ
Old 8th March 2011, 21:49   #3145
BHPian

@bj96: Thanks for the response, is sounds like forcefully rotating a jammed rotor. As you suggested, let me check the movement of the belt and the a/c rotor. I just hope it is easily accessible once the hood is opened.

-Sunil.
Old 9th March 2011, 13:01   #3146
BHPian

Hi,

Is it possible to reduce the turning radius of Safari? If yes, what are compromises in terms of seating comfort or stability of the vehicle?

-JP

Last edited by recker_us : 9th March 2011 at 13:01. Reason: .
Old 9th March 2011, 13:51   #3147
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recker_us View Post
Hi,

Is it possible to reduce the turning radius of Safari? If yes, what are compromises in terms of seating comfort or stability of the vehicle?

-JP
Yes , i did it in my safari now almost 2 years. You need to check it not hitting the bumper or the fender inside. Good alignment guy can do it for you.
Old 9th March 2011, 14:29   #3148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Yes , i did it in my safari now almost 2 years. You need to check it not hitting the bumper or the fender inside. Good alignment guy can do it for you.
Thanks.. Is there really a significant change to turning radius that can done?. I mean the current 6m radius can come down to something like 5.7m?

Sorry, i have no idea how this radius thing works.. you might find the questions silly.,.
Old 9th March 2011, 16:05   #3149
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks.. Is there really a significant change to turning radius that can done?. I mean the current 6m radius can come down to something like 5.7m?

Sorry, i have no idea how this radius thing works.. you might find the questions silly.,.
Yes, I didn't measure, but there is a significant effect, as i am now able take U turns easily and more significant was hairpin turns were too now a breeze.
Old 9th March 2011, 16:58   #3150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Hi,

-JP
Quote:
Yes, I didn't measure, but there is a significant effect, as i am now able take U turns easily and more significant was hairpin turns were too now a breeze.
I too have to done! Very helpful thing

No change in terms of comfort/stability. And dont ever try to do high speed turns on any SUV like you do on cars!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks