Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2008, 10:54   #1
Tapan

knocking in my Alto!!!

Hi,

I got Alto last year in June 2007. And its not even a year yet and the engine has started knocking. Upon taking the car for service the mechanic told me that as i am using premium petrol thats why the engine is knocking. Is this in real ?

The mechanic checked engine timing etc. said it was all okay. So he has told me to use simple petrol and not premium at all. I mean is the engine so (can't find the word) that it is not able to consume premium petrol ?

Secondly there's a humming sound coming from the car when the car is in gear but when i have not stepped on the race paddle. Its like "ghoon ghoon ghoon" upon checking with dealership they are just saying its the tyre noise.

What i am wondering is how can the tyres suddenly start making a sound like this. After this I got the wheel alignment, balancing, rotation but to no avail. Abhishek from Chandigarh here told me that its the bearing noise but dealership told me that bearings are very long lasting and they are sealed so there's no chance of humming sound coming from bearings.

Please suggest. I have started to regret why i did'nt got spark or santro etc.

Thanks.

Old 3rd May 2008, 11:59   #2
BHPian

You can look at changing your service station – many a times the guys just give excuses or say they have done a job when they have actually have not even bothered. If it’s a regular service they just stick to the process.

The sound you are referring to is due to your car running in gear at a low engine RPM (correct me if I am wrong), this would also happen if you drive in, say, 4th gear at 20 kmph.

I had a problem in my alto too. The engine would shudder violently when starting off in first gear at times. This used to happen when the car had run for a while - the service station guys could not figure it out (2-3 stations). But hey, the alto is otherwise a great car - very low on maintenance, amazing ac, good economy, etc.
Old 3rd May 2008, 12:20   #3
Team-BHP Support

You need to find a good service center/dealer and then you should be fine. As far as petrol goes, all the indian cars are designed for normal petrol, so more than knocking it might be waste of money to use premium fuel. Better option will be to find "good quality" petrol
Old 5th May 2008, 11:15   #4
Tapan

Hi,

wanderluster: Yes the sound comes when the car is running in gear but i have not pressed the race paddle. The speed does'nt matters. If i am pressing the race paddle then the sound dose'nt comes. But as soon as I take off from the paddle the humming sound starts coming instantly and keeps on coming till the speed is not less than 10 km.

I will change dealership now. I went to Chitoso motors, Mohali. They called me today for check up but I will go in few days.

Regarding maintainance cost the 4th paid service costed me Rs. 3548.00 they changed: Spark plugs. Was that really necessary ? The service advisor insisted that spark plugs must be changed after 20000 kms.

I did all the things service advisor suggested thinking that it will get rid of the sound eg.
Spark plugs (159.99), Oil filter (66.09) was changed, Wheel alignment, balancing and rotation was done costed (405 including weights etc.). (If it was a tyre problem then it would have rectified after rotation etc.) Anyways coolant was changed (314), engine oil (400), engine flushing treatment (this is new one - 3rd most expensive thing in bill costed Rs. 375), brake oil (115.56) was changed, gear oil (456), disc brakes cleaning (another new thing costed Rs. 100), Brake bleeding (another one lol Rs. 100), Fuel injector cleaning (270).

Okay so please clear me now:
What is Engine Flushing Treatment ?
What is Disc Brake Cleaning ?
What is Brake Bleeding ?

Thanks.

Old 5th May 2008, 17:35   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapan View Post
Hi,

wanderluster: Yes the sound comes when the car is running in gear but i have not pressed the race paddle. The speed does'nt matters. If i am pressing the race paddle then the sound dose'nt comes. But as soon as I take off from the paddle the humming sound starts coming instantly and keeps on coming till the speed is not less than 10 km.

I will change dealership now. I went to Chitoso motors, Mohali. They called me today for check up but I will go in few days.

Regarding maintainance cost the 4th paid service costed me Rs. 3548.00 they changed: Spark plugs. Was that really necessary ? The service advisor insisted that spark plugs must be changed after 20000 kms.

I did all the things service advisor suggested thinking that it will get rid of the sound eg.
Spark plugs (159.99), Oil filter (66.09) was changed, Wheel alignment, balancing and rotation was done costed (405 including weights etc.). (If it was a tyre problem then it would have rectified after rotation etc.) Anyways coolant was changed (314), engine oil (400), engine flushing treatment (this is new one - 3rd most expensive thing in bill costed Rs. 375), brake oil (115.56) was changed, gear oil (456), disc brakes cleaning (another new thing costed Rs. 100), Brake bleeding (another one lol Rs. 100), Fuel injector cleaning (270).

Okay so please clear me now:
What is Engine Flushing Treatment ?
What is Disc Brake Cleaning ?
What is Brake Bleeding ?

Thanks.
Hi,

Does the sound come when you are decelerating only, if yes, then try pressing the clutch immediately when the sound starts coming. This happens in my alto too and would be interesting to know if its the same problem in your car too.

Anand.S
Old 5th May 2008, 18:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

Please change the title : the Alto is a great VFM car !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapan View Post
Secondly there's a humming sound coming from the car when the car is in gear but when i have not stepped on the race paddle. Its like "ghoon ghoon ghoon" upon checking with dealership they are just saying its the tyre noise....

The "ghoon ghoon ghoon" sound can be heard when you are coasting along ( the vehicle is moving without the accelerator {'race paddle'} being pressed), and the speed of the car is near or below the minimum speed for that gear (eg. the minimum speed in 3rd gear is 20kmph : so you will get this sound if you car is at or below 20kmph in 3rd gear, and you are not pressing the accelerator). This is a perfectly normal sound : you just need to take the car above the minimum speed for the current gear.

Please do change the title : the Alto is definitely not sucky

PS --> thanx for the title change !!!

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 5th May 2008 at 18:16.
Old 5th May 2008, 18:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderluster View Post
...The sound you are referring to is due to your car running in gear at a low engine RPM (correct me if I am wrong), this would also happen if you drive in, say, 4th gear at 20 kmph...

Quote:
...The engine would shudder violently when starting off in first gear at times. This used to happen when the car had run for a while - the service station guys could not figure it out (2-3 stations). ...
We have the same problem with our Alto, but it happens very rarely. So I have not told the service guys : they may unnecessarily replace the clutch components.

Quote:
... But hey, the alto is otherwise a great car - very low on maintenance, amazing ac, good economy, etc.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 5th May 2008 at 18:16.
Old 5th May 2008, 18:23   #8
BHPian

Calm down Tapan. There are small problems at times. Afterall we are talking about mechanical parts and there can always be issues.
Old 5th May 2008, 23:14   #9
Tapan

Hi,

No its not speed related. And its not like that I am driving in a higher gear at lower speeds. It comes even if i am at 60+ in fifth great..as soon as the i take my foot off the paddle the silly sound starts coming and as soon as i press it back the sound goes off. This happens till the speed is 10 or less. Now obviously i can't drive alto in top gear at 10 kmpl. I have corsa also and I never had any type of problem with that. Only I drive both of the cars and only Alto makes this kind of sound.

This also has started when 1 day I bumped into a pit at very high speed. The wheel cover flew away and I never found it back. I think from that day onward the sound has started but I am not 100% sure. I think i have to get it checked throughly.

Thanks.

Old 3rd June 2008, 22:41   #10
BHPian

Hello there,

I have been following up on this thread for quote some time especially because I was having the same problem with my Alto.

After repeated attempts to isolate the problem, I think I may have found the solution.

The humming irritating noise that actually drowns the entire passenger cabin especially at higher speed could because of a faulty/ worn-out wheel bearing. It can be found out if you feel the suspension with the wheel spinning and you can feel a disturbing vibration.

Tapan, if you think it is worth a try, suggest a wheel bearing change while you service your car next time and it shouldn't cost you more than Rs 500.

Thank .
Old 13th February 2009, 03:26   #11
BHPian

Hi Tapan,

Try getting a new boot (black rubber joint in front axle, present both sides) on the axle changed or cleaned and re-greased again. This might solve the problem. This will be no more than Rs 200 job. Try doing this before you get to the bearings.

Also, Tapan My alto is too due for its 4th service, Berkley Auto quoted me Rs 4500 for this. I feel this is tooo much. I was expecting around 2K-3K for the fourth service. Is all this stuff necessary..changing all oils, spark plugs or its just a way to make money and cut deep into our pockets.. Where did you get your Alto's fourth service done ???
Old 16th March 2009, 16:17   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911turbo View Post

Also, Tapan My alto is too due for its 4th service, Berkley Auto quoted me Rs 4500 for this. I feel this is tooo much. I was expecting around 2K-3K for the fourth service. Is all this stuff necessary..changing all oils, spark plugs or its just a way to make money and cut deep into our pockets.. Where did you get your Alto's fourth service done ???
The alto manual suggests 4th servicing at 20k km's. But most of the people here and the service station guys, suggest a service at 15k. I was thinking of sticking the mfr. recommendations, any reason to go for a service at 15k?
Old 16th March 2009, 16:34   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
The alto manual suggests 4th servicing at 20k km's. But most of the people here and the service station guys, suggest a service at 15k. I was thinking of sticking the mfr. recommendations, any reason to go for a service at 15k?
No need to get serviced at 15K. Just stick to mfr's recommendations.

Above all, Alto is a reliable car.
Old 17th March 2009, 01:05   #14
Senior - BHPian

Why are you people responding to a year old thread.
Old 17th March 2009, 13:10   #15
Senior - BHPian

GUYS,
this is a common problem in each and every alto. u cannot say its a problem though. the drive shaft has more play and according to the mul engineers this is kept for alto to overcome vibrations from the 3 cylinder engine.

i was behind the mul people for atleast 3-4 months for this issue. even a brand new alto sounds the same. when you are at lower speeds in high gears say at 30 in 4th gear there is a humming, garrr garrrrr sounds. when you press the accelerator this sound dissappears. also you wont find this noise in high speeds.
this amplifies when AC is on and suppose that you are at speeds of 40-50 in 5th gear.

just forget it. it will never be rectified.
amit_mechengg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks