Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2008, 16:52   #121
Team-BHP Support

Funny, I have a 2002 indica and the rat grill mess was factory fitted.
While opening dashboard the mechanic told me that indica is one of the few cars which comes with this mesh
Old 19th August 2008, 16:57   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Funny, I have a 2002 indica and the rat grill mess was factory fitted.
While opening dashboard the mechanic told me that indica is one of the few cars which comes with this mesh
I've had this done on a 2004 DLS and a 2006 DLG Turbo.
My first one - 2003 DLS has not faced a rat problem ever (My father is still driving this)
Old 19th August 2008, 17:10   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper_711 View Post
For the Indica, Concorde Motors offers a rat-entry closure procedure for 1000/- All possible entries are closed with a metal mesh. I've had this done on two of my Indicas and it worked a 100%.
Same here, but I did from Prerana motors they charged me 1200/- and after that cabin is rat free. But still rats used to come in the engine bay I've used Mortein rat cake and they used have all, yet to find any solution for this.
As HIGHNOON mentioned about "phenyl ball" is it different from Naphthalene? If it is where can I find those?

Cheers
Old 19th August 2008, 17:55   #124
BHPian

For GM Cars Vijai motors offer the 'Rat Mesh ' solution. Its just a metal mesh fixed on the air vents. But it require a major work to access the air vents and the full engine compartment has to be removed.

Why can't the manufacturers themselves fix this kind of mesh since the rat problem is very very common in India for all type of cars.

Arun
Old 25th August 2008, 23:12   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by biswajit View Post
Same here, but I did from Prerana motors they charged me 1200/- and after that cabin is rat free. But still rats used to come in the engine bay I've used Mortein rat cake and they used have all, yet to find any solution for this.
As HIGHNOON mentioned about "phenyl ball" is it different from Naphthalene? If it is where can I find those?

Cheers
Hi Biswajeet,

Phenyl balls looks white and smells like the black phenyl..... whether they are same as naphthalene balls i do not know ......
Old 26th August 2008, 00:54   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Napthalene is moth ball. It was old lady's saris smell of (and sometimes, not-so-old lady's saris: moths do not discriminate about the age of the wearer!).

Phenyl is floor and lavatory cleaner. Disinfectanty sort of smell.
Old 18th September 2008, 20:26   #127
BHPian

mice eating engine gasket!

hi guys,
I had a new engine tapet cover seal-gasket relaced a few days back now the problem is this that a rat entered my engine bay and chewed the new packing and almost a litre of engine oil (just changed to mobil 1) got leaked. And there was a ruckus in my engine bay. luckily i found the fault and got it rectified.
guys can u please tell me if there is any solution which will prevent the rats from eating wires/gaskets, etc. from the engine bay? my dad had to sell off his mercedez E220(w124) because of this. he has just got a C200 kompressor (2007 model).
my society does the regular pest controlling from PCI but suddenly the other day i had this attack!
PLEASE I NEED HELP! URGENTLY!

Note from Team-BHP Support : Thread MERGED. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th September 2008 at 20:40. Reason: Search please before posting new thread.
Old 23rd September 2008, 14:45   #128
Senior - BHPian

Is it Phyenyl or nepthalene balls ?

Regards
Amit

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
Hey buddy !

Twice during monsoon 2004 i had rats gnaw away entire loom on my old Uno. This led to a number of recurring electrical problems till i disposed the car.
When i took a new car in 2004 , one oldtimer mechanic suggested that i tie the plastic / nylon mesh bags ( a bit like batua with a blue plastic bead at either of the end to keep the knot in place).You get these at road side vendors keeping plastic wares , people use then sometimes to tie around water taps as a makeshift filter
Tie 4/5 these in strategic positions where you see spoor of the rodent , and put 4/5 phenyl balls in each of these bags. Rs.4 / bag or so and rs.35 for 250 mg phenyl balls.
This works ,,,, to date after that , i have not had a rodent biting away at the wires.... it seems they cant bear the smell of phenyl.
Only make sure you replace the balls once they evaporate completely. The bags can remain there for years.

Do let other people know of this simple and cheap remedy!
Old 23rd September 2008, 14:49   #129
Senior - BHPian

In india, both terms are used but they are the same (napthalene balls).

If you goto a shop and ask him either of the two, he will give you same product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Is it Phyenyl or nepthalene balls ?

Regards
Amit
Old 23rd September 2008, 15:06   #130
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Dadu , I always got them as nepthalene , Phenyl to me was always a Phenol based liquid cleaner and was confused if it is available as balls.

By the way if any one was problem of wasps or hornets forming nests any where in house or in garage which can be quite dangerous, Phenyl is best bet. You need to fill up phenyl in a syringe and squirt on the hive from some distance they will abandon the hive and never return to rebuild at the same location. It is cleaner and safer to use this method rather then smoking them or breaking the hives
This is a personally tested and proven method.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
In india, both terms are used but they are the same (napthalene balls).

If you goto a shop and ask him either of the two, he will give you same product.

Last edited by amitk26 : 23rd September 2008 at 15:07. Reason: cleaned up
Old 24th September 2008, 13:04   #131
BHPian

Cockroach in my car

Guys,

I have a similar dilemma, I spotted a big cockroach sometime back in my Getz CRDi. I tried to 'capture' it, but failed. Now, after about two months, I am seeing small roaches in my car. Looks like the big one had a 'productive' time in my car. What do I do now??? My car is just 4 months old...and already attracting pests...
Old 24th September 2008, 17:27   #132
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Get your car treated by a pest control company; they even have an odourless range now.
Old 24th September 2008, 18:40   #133
Senior - BHPian

The Rats have eaten my AC wires again . Last time this led to the CEL comming on.
Old 24th September 2008, 18:51   #134
Senior - BHPian

KSM i would suggest you to use "Rat-Kill", did have some rats bothering my car as it was not being used much during the week...made sure that i places the rat kill under the hood...make it a practise and your car would be safe from them
Old 24th September 2008, 22:47   #135
BHPian

I faced the same problem when a rat came in though the AC vent in my Zen back in 2001.

I remember trying Mortin rat kill. After it ate the bait it went back through the AC fresh air vent and died in the AC.

I had to spend 10 grands to get the entire AC cleaned and filters changed.
Yuk.

The best way is to get it pest controlled from all sides ASAP.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks