Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2010, 11:35   #181
BHPian

One of my friend has a Santro 2003 Zing which has run wround 70K kms.

He is facing few wobbling issues and the clutch has become really really hard. On taking the car to a local mechanic. The mechanic insisted on changing the clutch+pressure plates (3200+750 labour) and also front suspension overhaul. Changes in bush, tie rods, etc etc. He was giving a long lecture on the front suspension part so we decided on not getting that work done.

I noticed that the car goes to high RPMs suddenly so there is an issue with the clutch plate for sure. So now getting the clutch and pressure plates changed. Is 3200+labour ok for genuine parts? I think it is less. Is the mechanic trying to take him for a ride or doing a genuine work?

We also noticed that the front tyres were not free at all, we had to use force to move it while the car was lifted on jack. Other than break pedals, any other possibilities?

Last edited by Googleman : 2nd September 2010 at 11:36.
Old 2nd September 2010, 12:17   #182
Team-BHP Support

What does the A.S.S charge for a clutch overhaul ? If getting it done outside, please ensure that you buy genuine spares from a reliable shop. You may want to check tbhp's directory for Bangalore recommendations.
Old 2nd September 2010, 12:20   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
One of my friend has a Santro 2003 Zing which has run wround 70K kms.

He is facing few wobbling issues and the clutch has become really really hard. On taking the car to a local mechanic. The mechanic insisted on changing the clutch+pressure plates (3200+750 labour) and also front suspension overhaul. Changes in bush, tie rods, etc etc. He was giving a long lecture on the front suspension part so we decided on not getting that work done.
Googleman, around 6 months back, I hv changed the clutch of my santro and it costs me 4400 at Hyundai A.S.S. I hv also changed the front struts and costs me 1200+1200+Labour (750)

For my NHC, the clutch became very heavy now at 37K. Tomorrow taking to A.S.S for inspection. If I need to replace the entire clutch how much will be approx cost?

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 2nd September 2010, 12:21   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
What does the A.S.S charge for a clutch overhaul ? If getting it done outside, please ensure that you buy genuine spares from a reliable shop. You may want to check tbhp's directory for Bangalore recommendations.
We called Whitefield Hyundai to check for clutch plate rates, and they said there was no stock and approx price only for clutch plate was 3.8K or 4K.

Now my friend told me, when he called his local mechanic to check the status of his car. The mechanic says there are two different types of clutches. One is for heavy duty high end Santro and one for low ends Am surprised and suspect bull story.

What we have decided is, to go the the mechanic after office today and check the plates personally. Now problem is, How do we know the clutch plate needs replacement? Any pictures of fried clutch plates? We are Novices you see..
Old 2nd September 2010, 13:02   #185
BHPian

Mods sorry, could not edit my previous post. Please merge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Hi, Checked the directory. None of the threads are in relation to purchase of genuine parts. If any, please could you provide the link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Googleman, around 6 months back, I hv changed the clutch of my santro and it costs me 4400 at Hyundai A.S.S. I hv also changed the front struts and costs me 1200+1200+Labour (750)
Thanks Rajesh. 4400 only for clutch plates or pressure plates also?

What were the symtoms which made you change the struts?
Old 2nd September 2010, 13:21   #186
Senior - BHPian

My Swift VDI clutch is having Judder during cold start while changing the gear from Neutral to 1st and 1st to 2nd. This Judder vanishes after the car is warm. RPM is at 2200 when the speed is 100 kmph so I presume the clutch is not worn out. What can be the issue with the clutch system?
Old 2nd September 2010, 14:05   #187
BHPian

Quote:
4400 only for clutch plates or pressure plates also?
Yes, but without the Clutch cable. After replacing I took few days to adjust with the soft clutch.

Quote:
What were the symtoms which made you change the struts?
The suspension was very hard and the ride was very stiff. Along with the replacement of struts at front, changed the rear suspension bushes also. So I was almost in the original condition.

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 2nd September 2010, 15:33   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I find the Sumo jerks/shudders when :
in 1st gear
clutch pedal fully released
zero acclerator
and going up on inclines.
Problem has disappeared ! No longer facing the shudder /jerks when going up inclines as described above. Truck's odo is currently at 58.5k
Old 2nd September 2010, 18:03   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Hi,

In my 2005 model, 99.6 K KMs Getz, when I depress the cluth there is a very faint whooshing sound (like air passing from an empty pipe). But when I take off my foot from clutch, the sounds gora away.

In the last service, the service advisor told me that clutch bearing is nearing it's end and I will have to replace it in the next service. Is this problem due to same, or can it be indicator of something else?

Please advice.

Cheers

Nitin
Seems to be similar to my WagonR's issue reported at post # 77 and 80 on the preceding pages.
However, I get a shriller sound, and not a whooshing sound. MASS identified it as an issue with the clutch release bearing.They said the clutch assembly would need to be dismantled to replace the bearing, and it takes the same amount of time as replacing a clutch plate

But I am living with it for the past couple of years as the sound is not very prominent.

Old 3rd September 2010, 12:23   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
My Swift VDI clutch is having Judder during cold start while changing the gear from Neutral to 1st and 1st to 2nd. This Judder vanishes after the car is warm. RPM is at 2200 when the speed is 100 kmph so I presume the clutch is not worn out. What can be the issue with the clutch system?
Hey I have the same issue with my 2005 Swift Vxi Petrol. I asked the local mechanic about this and whether the clutch has an issue. He told me that this is probably due to moisture in the rains and not to bother about it. My car has done 54k kms till date.

However, I would suggest to keep an eye on this and see if this happens even after the rains. I will be doing the same and then taking action accordingly.
Old 3rd September 2010, 17:17   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hey I have the same issue with my 2005 Swift Vxi Petrol. I asked the local mechanic about this and whether the clutch has an issue. He told me that this is probably due to moisture in the rains and not to bother about it. My car has done 54k kms till date.
I have the same issues as DieselFan's swift has, my car also does 100 at 2200 RPM and hence I dont see the clutch is slipping.

Next week, am handing over the car for the clutch issue and 50k service. Would keep ya all posted.
Old 6th September 2010, 18:35   #192
BHPian

Standard globally accepted technique to find worn clutch system:- Park the car on levelled surface and pull the handbrake. Start the car and engage in 4th gear. Release the clutch pedal with handbrake on. If the car stops the clutch is normal, if it continues on low or same rpm , the clutch is surely gone.
Old 6th September 2010, 21:44   #193
Senior - BHPian

The pressure plate from my truck.. Had to replace the entire kit as a norm.
Apparently, the kit + the slave cylinder was replaced. Not sure about the root cause.
On carefull inspection found that it wasnt making full contact with the pressure plate at all.
About clutch wear & replacement-05092010006.jpg
Old 6th September 2010, 23:18   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.faramroze View Post
Standard globally accepted technique to find worn clutch system:- Park the car on levelled surface and pull the handbrake. Start the car and engage in 4th gear. Release the clutch pedal with handbrake on. If the car stops the clutch is normal, if it continues on low or same rpm , the clutch is surely gone.
With the handbrakes on, and if the vehicle moves? Then brake gone right?
Old 7th September 2010, 12:43   #195
BHPian

Hi experts, I've a 2000 model Santro that's done 80K and occasionally when I start the car in the first gear, the car jerks and shudders and moves. I took it to a Hyundai A.S.S. and they say that the entire clutch assembly needs to be changed to rectify this problem. The cost quoted by Nimbus Hyundai, Noida is 4300. Should I get the entire assembly changed, and how is this service station in terms of reliability as this will be my first time there.

Last edited by kanuj : 7th September 2010 at 12:48.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks