Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2012, 00:42   #46
BHPian

Re: Maruti Ertiga VDi - Engine oil leak. EDIT : Issue resolved on Page 3

Requesting all Ertiga Owners to check for the rear wheel Caster values, I have checked four new vehicles and have foud all of them to be abnormal. This will ensure the rear left wheel is worn out more on the inner side and will compromise the safety on the car.....

reach out to me @984085822 for any further info.
Old 9th October 2012, 10:17   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Are you referring to camber? How can bad caster lead to inner wear of the tyres? It is toe and camber that usually causes one side wear right?
Old 10th October 2012, 19:59   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgovencat
Requesting all Ertiga Owners to check for the rear wheel Caster values, I have checked four new vehicles and have foud all of them to be abnormal. This will ensure the rear left wheel is worn out more on the inner side and will compromise the safety on the car.....

reach out to me @984085822 for any further info.
After reading virgo post on the rear wheel issue, i was surprised to receive 3 calls independently from my dealer and SA repeatedly querying whether there was any problem with my 1month-old ertiga zdi.
Although i could not feel or find anything amiss, the SA suggested i bring the luv over for a checkup. But there was no admission of any mfg defect by the SA.
Frankly i am impressed by the speed of the response.
Considering the horror stories from my friends owning VW and Skoda, i am extremely happy yet again that i stayed with Maruti. :-)
Old 26th October 2012, 02:37   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Are you referring to camber? How can bad caster lead to inner wear of the tyres? It is toe and camber that usually causes one side wear right?
You are right it is Camber, I have posted details in the Ertiga's Official Review.....
Old 26th October 2012, 23:10   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S5157 View Post
He checked and found that issue is due to the OIL seal ( Outer crank shaft oil seal) is gone bad. In fact he showed a company circular which states this issue on specific VIN numbers of diesel SX4/Ertiga/Swift affected by this issue and resolution.
IMO, The reason for oil leak from the above mentioned oil seal, is mainly due to leak in compression, into the crank case.The only solution for this in a brand new car is to replace the entire half engine, which you have done.

Like you mentioned the issue should be solved and will not resurface again.

Do you have any updates from the company side regarding the other vehicles with the same issue?
Old 27th October 2012, 16:34   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
IMO, The reason for oil leak from the above mentioned oil seal, is mainly due to leak in compression, into the crank case.The only solution for this in a brand new car is to replace the entire half engine, which you have done.

Like you mentioned the issue should be solved and will not resurface again.

Do you have any updates from the company side regarding the other vehicles with the same issue?

Our car has done 4500 kms after the fix and no issues were found.Touch Wood.

I do not have any updates regarding other vehicles which faced similar issue.
S5157 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2013, 10:28   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Our car has done 4500 kms after the fix and no issues were found.Touch Wood.

I do not have any updates regarding other vehicles which faced similar issue.
Hi S5157, hats off to your patience & getting the issue resolved just in time. Kudos to all those folks at MSIL & dealer who attended your car so passionately after burning the mid-night oil.

Though some questions are still unanswered, like how come such a defective part found its way to the engine, then in the car & finally in the hands of the customer? The QA check-points at various stages should have caught this one. Nevertheless as someone said earlier, "All is well, that ens well". So I hope you have already overcome this nightmare & your car is performing flawlessly now. Enjoy your ride & once again thanks for sharing this ordeal with us.
Old 4th February 2013, 10:59   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Hi S5157, hats off to your patience & getting the issue resolved just in time. Kudos to all those folks at MSIL & dealer who attended your car so passionately after burning the mid-night oil.

Though some questions are still unanswered, like how come such a defective part found its way to the engine, then in the car & finally in the hands of the customer? The QA check-points at various stages should have caught this one. Nevertheless as someone said earlier, "All is well, that ens well". So I hope you have already overcome this nightmare & your car is performing flawlessly now. Enjoy your ride & once again thanks for sharing this ordeal with us.
The car has done 12000 Kms after the fix and no issues are observed after that (touch wood). The 20 K service was done last week and car is performing well.
S5157 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2013, 19:51   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello BHPians,

Just rescued my car, Zen MPFI '02 from what could have been the worst nightmare turning true for a motorist.

The story went like this:

I came back from a marriage ceremony last night at about 12 AM. As it was too late, the roads were almost empty, hence I pushed the car hard to the limits. The car behaved normally and I parked the car in my apartment parking just like any other day.

Today morning I saw it almost in a pool of oil. Immediately checked the source and did not look like any sump damage. As the oil looked as if leaking from a little above, I was almost sure that its the filter. Checked the oil level from the dipstick in the engine bay, it showed ZERO oil
I left the car in that state and went to my MASS. They sent a mechanic with me. We carried a spare filter and 3 ltrs of engine oil.

He checked the car thoroughly and asked me that where was the last oil change was done? In fact, it was done at another MASS which is closer to my house and hence I gave it a shot. To my shock, he told me that the filter has been tightened with too much force and that has disfigured the shape of the filter. Also he told me that too much application of force on the oil filter for tightening results in small leakages due to the shape of the wrench used. I could not believe that a MASS can screw up a simple job like an oil change? They almost fried my car!

I listened helplessly and just hoping that when the car fires to life, I hear the normal old sound of the engine. Though, I was positive to quite an extent as when I parked the car, though it must be running low on oil, it behaved, sounded normally and the temperature was normal too. It idled well when I parked, but still for that time, I had my heart in my mouth. This was until the filter was replaced, new oil poured in and she came back to life and settled at its old energetic purr. I thanked my stars and drove the car to the MASS for a complete check up and got an OK certificate from them too.

Sadly in the ordeal, I lost a month old, 3.5 ltrs of Castrol Magnatec that I normally use and almost my engine too. But thankfully everything looks okay. Also, compared to what could have been the total damage, 1.5K looks minuscule.

Just back from the MASS and now posting this. Will soon post the pics of damaged filter.

Regards
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 8th June 2013 at 19:56.
saket77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th June 2013, 11:12   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

I posted the above from home where I was facing some connection issues, hence was not able to post this pic of the filter. Hence posting it now. Moderators, please merge this with my above post.

Maruti Ertiga VDi - Engine oil leak. EDIT : Issue resolved on Page 3-08062013.jpg
Maruti Ertiga VDi - Engine oil leak. EDIT : Issue resolved on Page 3-08062013001.jpg

The filter was out of shape, hence it refused to open with the regular wrench. It had to be pierced to get hold of.

Maruti Ertiga VDi - Engine oil leak. EDIT : Issue resolved on Page 3-08062013004.jpg
Maruti Ertiga VDi - Engine oil leak. EDIT : Issue resolved on Page 3-08062013006.jpg
The new filter. The pics have been taken from an underground bay.
saket77 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th June 2013, 11:49   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

That looks like a heavily tortured oil filter But I dont understand why a wrench was used, which crushed the side of the filter. Usually service centres use an oil filter removal spanner, which exactly fits the bottom of the filter which has been shaped to fit the tool. One has to just mount the filter onto the tool and then screw it into position into the block.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2013, 12:16   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
That looks like a heavily tortured oil filter But I dont understand why a wrench was used, which crushed the side of the filter. Usually service centres use an oil filter removal spanner, which exactly fits the bottom of the filter which has been shaped to fit the tool. One has to just mount the filter onto the tool and then screw it into position into the block.
They used the spanner itself, but probably with too much force. Actually it wasn't that much twisted, it went even worse while unscrewing it, since, it refused to open with the regular oil filter spanner. But the shape was significantly off.

I have now vowed to stick to my good old MASS (which is an MSM- Maruti Service Masters) even if that means 13 kms of extra distance.
Also, to test the car, I had a 120 kms trip to a waterfall near Ranchi. The car behaved exactly how it used to, hence I am satisfied. I really shudder to think that what could have happened that day.

Last edited by saket77 : 10th June 2013 at 12:20.
saket77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 14:33   #58
Senior - BHPian

Hi

During second service of My Ertiga VDI, SA informed me about oil sump leak and after observing for 2-3 days he now says I need to keep the car in the garrage for changing the packing. I read your article and just want to confirm if my problem is same as yours.

What do you think ?

Attached picture here:

As you can notice, the dark area is because its oilly
Maruti Ertiga VDi - Engine oil leak. EDIT : Issue resolved on Page 3-20131219_131715.jpg
Old 12th February 2015, 21:26   #59
BHPian

Quote:
The car has done 12000 Kms after the fix and no issues are observed after that (touch wood). The 20 K service was done last week and car is performing well.
Hello S5157, I had the fortune of travelling in a VDI Ertiga which had clocked 1.2 Lakhs on the ODO. It was a taxi and my trip was over 1200 kms to be covered in 2 days. On day 2, my driver (we had built enough camaraderie by then) showed me that he was getting a faint oil pressure light up on the dashboard. It came up for a few seconds and then vanished. When we stopped for a coffee, it came up persistently in idle and then vanished as we started moving, only to come again for a few seconds intermittently.

Sensing trouble and realizing my route was through dangerous TENI section of the ghats at night, I asked the driver to pull over at the Madurai COCO outlet of BPCL.
There we opened the bonnet, and lo, the oil sump stick returned ZERO oil in it. Later checking under the boot, I found a thick oil smudged patch at the Lower Half of the Intercooler.
I sensed it is to do with the Turbo oil seals drinking oil and sending it to the intercooler (my initial guess).

I immediately topped it with 1.5 lts of oil purchased from the pump (15W40 MAK Diamond) and rescued the engine. We drove back home comfortably with the oil sign not appearing again.
The driver and the owner of the car were profusely thanking me for the timely intervention.
The dealership on the following day said the piston rings were faulty and need to be replaced!!!
I was wondering it they played a played around in the diagnosis and hid the actual fault in the machine. Any idea guys what could have gone wrong?
Old 6th December 2015, 14:41   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Hello BHPians,

Just rescued my car, Zen MPFI '02 from what could have been the worst nightmare turning true for a motorist.
Holy Cow!!!

Which MASS was it Saket bhaiya?? Was it Bharat Motors?? Sorry to bump up an old thread, but we need to know the exact culprit who almost killed your Zen.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks