Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2011, 13:41   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Did govt change the "No Free Left" Rule, off late

If a clear signal is not available, I usually follow the practice of stopping and looking at the nearest cop. Till date, the cops have indicated to go ahead or stop and I only follow their hand signal.

If a left turn is not free, I selectively ignore honkers. If I know a cop is around the corner, I allow the honker to go through and get hauled up by the cop. I dont know if he/ she will learn to follow rules, but at least he/ she will honk less next time. If I know there is no cop hiding to pounce on them, there is no way I let the person go.
Old 11th July 2011, 14:31   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
I was caught by a TC in Bangalore recently, I was arguing my point...
My Point of View, the way I see your particular case: TN Dude in Karnataka!
TN Registration? In that case, whether you are right or wrong, you will always be WRONG.
Old 11th July 2011, 16:32   #18
Senior - BHPian

I must say I am flummoxed, going by the post that I am seeing in the thread, looks like there is no existing rule or any thumbrule even for the No Free Left signals.

I mean I dont think it would take a great deal for the the traffic dept to install No Free Left signboards in the places where there is no free left.

I can imagine, a vehicle running in 40-50 kmph assuming its a Free left taking a left turn and at the same moment, someone from the straight road assuming it to be a No Free Left going straight at top speed and both meeting with accident.

There is such a scope of reducing accident which can be rooted out easily. But no one cares.
Old 11th July 2011, 16:48   #19
BHPian

In Bangalore, and probably many other places, there are no 'No free left' or 'free left turn' boards.
There are green signals to indicate left. We usually have all three directions in green, one complete orange and one complete red.

4 possible cases where a free left is possible.
.......|.... |
.......|.... |
------.... -------
Green
------ .... -------
.......|You |
.......|are .|
.......|here|

- When the road on the left which has green signal has a road divider, then free left signal should be green on your side
- When the road on the left does not have a divider, then you are not supposed to take a free left, or the green left will not glow. This is where the cops tend to catch you. [I got caught once and had to cough up 100 rs and this was the analogy given by the cop- there is no divider and you could run into an oncoming vehicle even if its not your mistake. So please pay now and do not do this again]

.......|.Gr. |
.......|.ee. |
------..n. -------
------ .... -------
.......|You |
.......|are .|
.......|here|
- If your opposite side has right turn, you do not have a free left. [Roads are usually 1 laned and hence you could possibly cause congestion if its a bus trying to turn right]
- If the opposite side has only Left and straight, you would in all cases have Free left as well as straight green

.......|.... |
.......|.... |
------.... -------
Green
------ .... -------
.......|You |
.......|are .|
.......|here|
- You should not turn left when your right side has green signal.

And the 4th case was pretty obvious. [Never thought of this when I started this post ]

Last edited by vinya_jag : 11th July 2011 at 16:52. Reason: More than one empty space not allowed. so adding dots to make my illustration
vinya_jag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2011, 18:03   #20
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalokg View Post
What I am trying to say is that if the traffic regulators are going to stop the left turn for some time during the cycle, why not put a normal green arrow ?
Quote:
I must say I am flummoxed, going by the post that I am seeing in the thread, looks like there is no existing rule or any thumbrule even for the No Free Left signals.
I am not trying to laugh on this serious topic. Frankly there are no rules. If the signal is on, maybe some rules may apply. If not, just take the turn. Let me give an example.
Last Saturday night, fellow BHpian and friend Jealousdiamond and me were coming back home. On the way we came to an important T (not really T, more like a Y, whatever) and we had to take the left. The left signal was showing a green arrow with a flashing red on top. Now what the heck I am supposed to infer? Take the left but stop intermittently? Caution? In that case why a flashing red with a constant green, why not yellow? Needless to say, we just took the turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
But signaling systems and direction boards and indicator boards remain a weak area in this country.
This got to be the quote of the day!
Old 11th July 2011, 18:18   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I can imagine, a vehicle running in 40-50 kmph assuming its a Free left taking a left turn and at the same moment, someone from the straight road assuming it to be a No Free Left going straight at top speed and both meeting with accident.
Ummm..."free left" does not mean you have the right to plough through the turn at high speed without watching for other vehicles and pedestrians. You are obliged to ensure that they way is clear and only then proceed.
Old 11th July 2011, 18:29   #22
BHPian

Like in other countries, do RTOs in our states publish any driver's handbook that explain complete rules relating to stops/right of way/common traffic laws, etc.? Anyone knows if any such handbooks exist? Or am I asking for too much
Old 11th July 2011, 18:40   #23
BHPian

@vinaya_jag has tried to explain something which I don't follow in its entirety, but I agree with (from what I understood). You just can't have a free left if there isn't a separate lane. Still, we do know junctions with free left where the road is just a single lane, but I am sure that's not the way it should be (and wont be there in civilized countries).

Perhaps there was a 'No free left' sign somewhere in the junction under discussion, which got lost in the collage of advts or just rusted and worn out. The law, and especially law enforcers, assume that we should be well familiar with all local routes, rules, customs and traditions before we venture into any locality.

Recently I had a similar instance in a one-way with no sign. The locals know it, but I was new. Some how the TC was kind enough and asked me to just turn around.
Old 11th July 2011, 18:56   #24
BHPian

In Kerala,the left arrow indicating the left direction will be continuously on and blinking indicating that it is free to take a left turn. If a COP is standing at the jnction,he will signal you to move. At places where free left is prohibited,there will be generally a board proclaiming No Free Left. I think it should be same for most places.
Old 11th July 2011, 19:10   #25
BHPian

There is no default "Free left". The idea is simple. If you see "Red" - you stop.
However, if there is a board saying "Free left", you can proceed leftwards.
Off late, there are "No free left" boards erected in some places. This is purely to stop ever growing traffic rules' ignorant.
Old 12th July 2011, 09:48   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I feel its city specific.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
At least in Chennai, I have talked to policemen and they say that unless there is a "No Free Left" board, it is a free left.

But I have also seen some signals where there is no "No free left" board but there is a signal which indicates left. I take a free left if

1. There is no "No free left" board (or)
2. There is no signal which is present specifically for indicating green for a left turn
True. At least, in Chennai unless there is a board saying NFL, you can turn.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks