Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2005, 12:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Getz - Install Help

Hi All

As promised here are my inputs on installing in the Getz.

The Good... Nice car to install in. Door panels are well built and require little or no damping. You can install fairly deep speakers (with an mdf ring of course) without fouling with the windows.

Problems...

HU Install - Most installers will cut the "blank DIN plate" with a blade and the force the HU through the hole they have cut. While quick, this is wrong.. Your HU will protude out, and is prone to theft as the entire thing can be yanked out easily. Heres how the wrong way looks.

The right way... You know the carbon finished center console, you have to remove the whole thing. Now you will see that the "blank DIN plate" doest need to be cut, it is held there by 2 screws on both sides. Remove this plate. Now you need a DIN Sleeve which you can see in this pic.

and this

As you can see above, you can now secure your HU with the 4 screws you removed. Put the console cover back on when you're done. It should llook like this.

Next, your installer will most likely cut through the existing power, ground cables, make joints and tape them up. This is one of the worst things you can do. Avoid all joints and tape-ups. They dont last very long. Heres what you can do.

Take 2 generic 4 pole connectors (your installer should have a few lying around), cut the cables you dont need, connect them and secure with cable ties. Alternatively, you can use 3M splice cable connects which are very good, if you can find them.

Next problem, getting your speaker cables through the front doors. There is a harness near the door hinge, which may or may not have a pair of spare cables. You will have to screw around with the connections in the harness to find that out. But since we dont like cutting through cables, making joints, we take an alternate route.

There is a rubber plug in the door (just under the hinge). Cover the cable with a rubber / PVC sheath and run it through this plus and into the rubber cover for the harness above. Make a small cut in the harness rubber cover. You can seal the cut once your cable is through with rubber sealant / glue). So there...

Also, if you plan to install any good component speakers, you need to fabricate mdf rings for them. Install them like this... remember to cover the ring with carpet on all sides.

Also, since we were discussing spare wheel well sub enclosures, heres a pic of the area. We will be working on this soon and have more pics for you.

Old 21st September 2005, 15:39   #2
BHPian

That was a lot of info Gunbir. Could you suggest a better way to mount my JBL 426 front speakers apart from the custom 4 inch space provided in the Alto's dash?
Old 21st September 2005, 15:52   #3
BHPian

Gunbir,

Can we expect similar steps for Swift too? :-)

Selective
Old 21st September 2005, 16:38   #4
BHPian

WOW that was good

Thanx GUNBIR.

That was fast and very good. Specially the centre console info.

One more question although not related. What is the HU in the first pic( pioneer ok but model number. ) it nicely matches with the carbon black finish
Old 21st September 2005, 19:51   #5
BHPian

Pranil

thats pioneer DEH-P8650 MP...later we changed to Clarion HX-D2
Old 21st September 2005, 20:16   #6
BHPian

Vivek

In Alto and Wagon R the dashboard locations are best to mount 4" speakers. Stick to that
Old 22nd September 2005, 08:49   #7
BHPian

MDF rings

Dear Gunbir.

Why the MDF ring. To isolate /reduce vibrations from the door ?? Cant I use dorr deadning material ( matt something) around the speakers instead of the ring.
Old 22nd September 2005, 10:07   #8
BHPian

Pranil,

The MDF ring has various advantages :

1. Gives solid mounting base for midbass driver

2. Avoid vibrations and isolate the driver from the metal body.

3. Prevents the drivers magnet from the touching the window glass when rolled down.

4. Brings the driver close to the door pad grille helps it firing through the grille rather than the sound waves going in the door pad which results in vibrating the door pad and muffling the sound.

For better results put a foam ring around the midbass so that there is no leakage in the doorpad and sound is directed in the cabin.

Damp the door with the damping material and then mount the MDF ring.
Old 22nd September 2005, 11:24   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile
For better results put a foam ring around the midbass so that there is no leakage in the doorpad and sound is directed in the cabin.

Damp the door with the damping material and then mount the MDF ring.
to damp the door what do you use?

i would love to see a locally available material that was heavy enough to damp resonances, porus enough to absorb the sound, and resistant enough to withstand humid/hot conditions.

to prevent leakage in the MDF I use rubber with a shore hardness between 40-60. this makes the rubber soft enough to make a air tight fit and hard enough so it is not squeezed competely. foam disintegrates after a few years in mumbai.
Old 22nd September 2005, 11:27   #10
BHPian

We have been using Dynamat Extreme. Apart from Dynamat now we have Fonomat and Fonogel from Audison.

Last edited by Autophile : 22nd September 2005 at 11:28.
Old 22nd September 2005, 11:41   #11
BHPian

4 - Speakers, That's All (Minimalism?)

I own a Hyundai Getz GLS. It came with a Sony headunit and four installed speakers as a part of the dealer offer. I had an occasion to examine what kind of speakers they are. The two front ones are Sony X-plod (or atleast Sony X-plod lookalikes one gets these days in car-audio markets, since there is only a sticker with the name "Sony" on the magnet with no other markings). The two rear ones are Pioneer. Both are "three way" types. I am in general dissatisfied with their sound. At home I have separates with components carefully selected, and the sound inside my car simply becomes intolerable sometimes. I may also mention that,

1.) I am not a bass-freak, and do not intend to install an additional amplifier or subwoofer inside my car.

2.) I do not play music loud in my car.

4.) I do not wish to do extensive re-wiring in my car for audio.

5.) If the four speakers alone can not give me very good frequency response in the car, let it be. I feel that it is the inherent drawback of in-car environment, which can not be significantly improved.

6.) But I wish whatever sound my car-speakers produce (within the limitations) should be very clean and distortion-free.

So in short, my requirement is only for four very good car-speakers that fit Hyundai Getz, to run with a Sony head-unit. I am willing to spend for this.

Any suggestions?
Old 22nd September 2005, 11:47   #12
BHPian

For four speakers in a Getz I would suggest the following :

1. 6.5" component speakers in the front door.

2. 6.5" coaxial speakers in the rear door.

It will give you a enjoyable clean sound. For best results I will recommend a 4channel amp with the speakers.

For full range sound you can add a subwoofer anyday you want to. Not necessarily 12" you can opt for 10" or 8" as per your taste.
Old 22nd September 2005, 12:21   #13
Team-BHP Support

yeah those 8" bass tubes are light and can be removed even by me. one tube might not turn our car into a discotheque (but oyu dont want that anyway) but will add some beef to the bottom end besides they are really easy to remove.
Old 22nd September 2005, 12:22   #14
Team-BHP Support

i wish they made sealed tubes but all tubes are bass reflex. i just plugged the tube hole with old (clean) cotton socks till the bass peak was reduced to acceptale levels.
Old 22nd September 2005, 12:26   #15
BHPian

We personally prefer the sealed enclosures for their flat frequency response. The tubes are generally ported to give more output for the price. The drivers and enclosures are not of a very high quality so you barely get flat response

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks