Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2005, 12:28   #1
Senior - BHPian

Is driving with high beam inside city an offence?

guys ,
i was caught yesterday night by bangalore traffic police for "saaar you are driving full beamooo...so please give 100 rupeeesoooo....walso your car fraaaam MH...."

he says driving without seat belts is naat an offence but driving with high beam is...and he says that on the highways you are allowed to use high beam....

so please advise
Old 27th December 2005, 12:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

I think its illegal, but regardless of what the law says driving with your hi-beam on in places where it is not required is an inconvenience to others on the road.

Personally I refrain from using the hi-beam when there is oncoming traffic, until somebody refuses to dip their lights...highway or not.

Last edited by Steeroid : 27th December 2005 at 12:32.
Old 27th December 2005, 12:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

Yes. It is illegal. Whatever steeroid practices is the best method according to me. I do that too on most occasions.
Old 27th December 2005, 12:46   #4
cnu
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
guys ,
he says driving without seat belts is naat an offence but driving with high beam is...and he says that on the highways you are allowed to use high beam....
Using high beam in city and not wearing seat belts - both are not legal.

Checkout http://www.chandigarhtrafficpolice.o...php?category=3
and http://www.chandigarhtrafficpolice.org/ruleslinks.php#

On the side note, the website http://www.chandigarhtrafficpolice.org is a great resource. I really appreciate the efforts of Chandigarh police for bringing awareness through this website.
Old 27th December 2005, 12:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

I am surprised that the policeman said that not using seat belts is not illegal. I guess he just wanted to make a quick buck. Anyway, when it is safer to use the seat belt, why not use it?
Old 27th December 2005, 13:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Wearing Seat belts is not compulsory in bangalore or chennai!
Old 27th December 2005, 13:31   #7
BHPian

not sure on the legal aspects, but it is good that someone in bangalore is taking action on the high beam thing.. i had a horrendous time during my year long stint there thanx to people behaving as if their cars had just the high beam option!!!!

cheers
Old 27th December 2005, 13:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

Driving with highbeam or using high wattage bulbs are both illegal.
Old 27th December 2005, 13:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaid
not sure on the legal aspects, but it is good that someone in bangalore is taking action on the high beam thing.. i had a horrendous time during my year long stint there thanx to people behaving as if their cars had just the high beam option!!!!
I had a similar experience in Bhubaneswar.
Legal or not driving with a high beam is potentially dangerous for oncoming traffic as well as the vehicle in front of you.
Drive with a low beam .. if you hit a patch of road where you need to see beyond what you can see using the low beam, flip to the high beam momentarily.
Old 27th December 2005, 13:55   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon
Yes. It is illegal. Whatever steeroid practices is the best method according to me. I do that too on most occasions.
Same here,
people using hi-beam on roads with street lights = morons.
Old 27th December 2005, 14:27   #11
BHPian

Someone needs to tell this to Hyderabadis. Night driving in that city is the stuff nightmares are made of. People just refuse to use the low-beam no matter what.

Cheers
Old 27th December 2005, 14:33   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally someone has woken upto it and begun fineing these #$%# who give with high beams. Its the most annoying thing and extremly dangerous. If i had my way i would shoot the freakin guys headlights off. The law needs to get strict on this, cops r barely on duty at night hence no1 abides by this law.
Old 27th December 2005, 15:06   #13
Max
BHPian

today i learned thing about high beam

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnu
Using high beam in city and not wearing seat belts - both are not legal.

Checkout http://www.chandigarhtrafficpolice.o...php?category=3
and http://www.chandigarhtrafficpolice.org/ruleslinks.php#

On the side note, the website http://www.chandigarhtrafficpolice.org is a great resource. I really appreciate the efforts of Chandigarh police for bringing awareness through this website.
This seems wonderful effort from chandigarh police to have online web site and having crush on motorists practicing illegal driving techniques.

I also never noticed about high beam thing, thanks to team bhp now I am educated about not to use high beam in city and even on highway when its not required.

Also, I do wear seat belts always (if I am driving more then 30kmph) no matter what !! I have also made it compulsory for rear seat passengers in my car to wear seat belts, no matter how much annoyance they feel due to wearing seat belts on rear seats.
Old 27th December 2005, 15:11   #14
Senior - BHPian

Atlease in Delhi, high beam driving is illegal. I only do high beam driving when in intra colony lanes, and where there are no street lights.
Old 27th December 2005, 15:51   #15
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

I dont know if its legal or not, bt driving in the city (with street lights and oncoming traffic) with high beam is a nuisance. I use it only on the highway or when there are no street lights or if there is no oncoming traffic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks