Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2010, 12:41   #3001
Team-BHP Support

@Technocrat.
Get the book One flew over the Cuckoo nest.

The movie is good, the book is great.
Old 3rd November 2010, 13:41   #3002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
This is a very good movie. One of my favourite directos Guillermo Del Toro produced this movie.

Another similar recommended movie ( this one directed by Del Toro himself ) is "El espinazo del diablo" ( The Devil's Backbone ). This is also set in an orphanage and during the Spanish civil war. This is part of the trilogy of movies that Del Toro plans to make about the Spanish Civil war ( Pan's Labyrinth is the 2nd one ) , although each movie is a separate story.
I will see if I can get a DVD of "El espinazo del diablo". Gonna watch "The Others" tonight. Have heard rave reviews about this thriller, esp Nicole Kidman's acting.
Old 3rd November 2010, 16:44   #3003
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikkars View Post
I will see if I can get a DVD of "El espinazo del diablo". Gonna watch "The Others" tonight. Have heard rave reviews about this thriller, esp Nicole Kidman's acting.
I saw this in the theatres when it was released.
Decent movie. Slow mostly, with a twist. Was remade in Hindi also with Dimple playing Nicole's role, I think.
Old 3rd November 2010, 18:34   #3004
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
+1
Did you notice how Edward Norton's character doesnt say what his name is throughout the movie?
Even imdb lists him as only "The Narrator"
Absolutely. I usually read the credits in the end for every movie. In credits it was mentioned as you said.

Quote:
I am a big fan of thriller/horror genre. Had heard a lot of about this movie
El Orfanato (The orphanage) which is a Spanish movie. It played in Lumiere movies last weekend, and I was glad was able see it. Its a amazing movie, one of the better movies in the genres that I have seen so far!
Iam a huge horror/thriller/suspense genre fan. Having said that, not too many movies impress me and this one after a long time ( i think the last one that impressed me was Grudge) blew me away.

The concept and amazing twist in the end was

Watched " The Verdict" starring Paul Newman

Its a good court room drama. Slow at most times but decent acting by Paul Newman ( infact, i liked the acting of his buddy, Mick more than PN) kept the ball rolling.

Its about a down and out alcoholic attorney getting one final chance to redeem himself. Instead of taking a settlement, he decides to fight the case with very little hope of winning.

However, what i didnt like was even if PN was losing the battle, the Jury suddenly decides the case in his favor. That was something i couldnt digest too well.

3/5

P.S: Next in line is " The Missing" starring some unknown stars
Old 3rd November 2010, 18:42   #3005
BHPian

Up In The Air

Up In The Air is another of my favorites. I watched it much before I got to know about its Academy nominations. Its not something that will blow you away or anything, but leaves a good impression. I love airports, planes, traveling et all; that also could be one reason why I liked it
Old 4th November 2010, 02:48   #3006
Senior - BHPian

Dear John: Supposed to be a love story but was weird! The way people met and the acting was not top notch. The lead hero is in the army but no critical scenes of war too!

2/5
Old 5th November 2010, 13:39   #3007
Senior - BHPian

Movie 1: Ramona and Beezus

A very decent family movie. I am sure there is a novel based on this, but i haven't looked around.

A must watch, with family its a great ride. Full of humor, emotions and love. Also shows various relationships - husband-wife, father-daughter, aunt bea-guy next door and love life of beezus.

Salena Gomez looks stunning and is one of my fav. The cute girl playing Ramona is the lifeline of the movie. She is very good.

4/5

Movie 2: The Takedown

Entirely opposite of what i saw above. A one time watch movie. Its about a hunt for a girl. Sound similar to Taken? Yes it is. A bit below Taken though.

I seriously couldn't believe there is Estella Warren in this movie. She looks so different. She was a supermodel not too long ago.
3/5

Last edited by chevelle : 5th November 2010 at 13:40.
Old 5th November 2010, 13:58   #3008
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Edward Norton is an insomniac performed perfectly and suits well for slightly deranged roles ( one scene where he hits himself in front of his boss is crazy)
I am a huge fan of Ed Norton from his first movie. I think he is the best actor in the world.
But he mostly appears in either average movies or in movies where there is not enough scope for his acting.

He was amazing in "American History X" & "Primal Fear".
I read the book "Primal Fear" in the early 90's. My first thought on reading the climax scene was that this book great as it was, could never be made into a movie, because the end jail scene could never be acted as it was written in the book. Well guess what, Ed Norton did that & more - and it was his debut movie.
"American History X" - good movie, without being great. But what acting from Norton! possibly his best role. The way his face, eyes & expressions reflect his opposite characters in the movie are amazing.

He was pretty good in "Fight Club", but I can't really think of any other movie when one would remember him. Other films of his I have watched are Rounders, Italian Job, Red Dragon, The Score, Incredible Hulk, People vs Larry Flynt. He wasn't bad in these movies, but it wasn't anything special.
Old 5th November 2010, 20:44   #3009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I am a huge fan of Ed Norton from his first movie. I think he is the best actor in the world.
But he mostly appears in either average movies or in movies where there is not enough scope for his acting.

He was pretty good in "Fight Club", but I can't really think of any other movie when one would remember him. Other films of his I have watched are Rounders, Italian Job, Red Dragon, The Score, Incredible Hulk, People vs Larry Flynt. He wasn't bad in these movies, but it wasn't anything special.
The Illusionist does not feature in your list.

The final twist in Shutter Island reminded me of the one in Fight Club.

Last edited by tortoiseNhare : 5th November 2010 at 20:48.
Old 5th November 2010, 20:59   #3010
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
The Illusionist does not feature in your list.
I want to see Illusionist, but it's DVD doesn't seem to be available in Bigflix.
Old 6th November 2010, 15:55   #3011
BHPian

Watched conspiracy theory starring Mel Gibson and Julia Roberts. Liked it.
My rating 3/5
Old 6th November 2010, 16:14   #3012
BHPian

Quote:
Up In The Air is another of my favorites. I watched it much before I got to know about its Academy nominations. Its not something that will blow you away or anything, but leaves a good impression. I love airports, planes, traveling et all; that also could be one reason why I liked it
Exactly, its a good movie, I enjoyed everybit of it, and i do feel airports, planes and traveling was making it more grasping.

Another movie which was based on airport is "the terminal" i likes it too

Can you please post or PM list of more movies with similar genre ?
Old 6th November 2010, 18:22   #3013
Senior - BHPian

You Again (2010)

This is a very good movie but more so for the female crowd. I loved the lead actresses acting. Both are near perfect in their performance and thats a good reason to watch this movie. Odette Yustman looks hot.

It has comedy, emotion. I actually feel many would be able to relate to their high school days.

A good watch once.

3.5/5
Old 6th November 2010, 21:46   #3014
BHPian

Just watched Inception again. I must say, this movie is brilliant. The storytelling is complex, yet you can watch this as an entertainment film and still like it... or you can pay attention to the plot carefully, and you will have many, many questions at the end of it. It is flawless in its use of background music, and the choice of actors is brilliant... De Caprio, Joseph-Gordon-Levitt, Tom Hardy, Ken Watanabe, Ellen Page... among others.

The snippets of irony and humour thrown are very appropriate and well timed. E.g When Ken's character says 'I bought the Airline', or the sarcastic banter between Hardy and Levitt's characters.

4.5/5

Must say, Christopher Nolan is fast becoming my favourite director. I can't find any movies of his to fault. I loved Memento, Batman Begins (the first Nolan movie I watched), The Dark Knight and now Inception. Looking forward to The Dark Knight Rises (AKA Batman 3).
Old 6th November 2010, 21:56   #3015
BHPian

Ramona and Beezus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Ramona and Beezus

A very decent family movie. I am sure there is a novel based on this, but i haven't looked around.

A must watch, with family its a great ride. Full of humor, emotions and love. Also shows various relationships - husband-wife, father-daughter, aunt bea-guy next door and love life of beezus.

Salena Gomez looks stunning and is one of my fav. The cute girl playing Ramona is the lifeline of the movie. She is very good.

4/5
+1
Just watched it - a very good family movie. Fully enjoyable. And the girl playing Ramona is so cute!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks