Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2009, 12:17   #61
BHPian

Respect - Japanese Kanji

My first Tattoo is a Japanese Kanji 'Respect' character.

In the making:
A YetiGuide® guide to tattooing!-dsc00776-small.jpg

All done:
A YetiGuide® guide to tattooing!-dsc00778-small.jpg

Another view
A YetiGuide® guide to tattooing!-my-tattoo-small.jpg

A YetiGuide® guide to tattooing!-tattoo-wrist.jpg

My girlfriend has "Love" Tattooed in Japanese Kanji on her right wrist as well, so this is our complete Love + Respect
A YetiGuide® guide to tattooing!-pooja-tattoo.jpg
Old 5th May 2009, 16:38   #62
BHPian

My Tattoo.......:-)

I have after a long thinking did my first tattoo on 26th december 2008 a small one but i liked it a lot.Its a tribal sun with "SRI" mentiones in the centre.
A YetiGuide® guide to tattooing!-img_0511.jpg
Then it made me go for the second too.......an arm band, the picture is fresh after applying the antiseptic cream and with patches of blood.
A YetiGuide® guide to tattooing!-img_0759.jpg
Old 12th March 2010, 20:10   #63
BHPian

Got my first (and possibly only) tattoo during a recent visit to San Diego. A dragon with a Samurai warrior. I got this done at Avalon tattoo parlor
Attached Thumbnails
A YetiGuide® guide to tattooing!-tattoo-resize.jpg  

Old 13th March 2010, 04:22   #64
BHPian

@vikram: dats some fine artist you got there.. nice one
does that dragon and samurai stand for something

Last edited by Ali G : 13th March 2010 at 04:25.
Old 13th March 2010, 13:13   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali G View Post
@vikram: dats some fine artist you got there.. nice one
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali G View Post
does that dragon and samurai stand for something
The Japanese dragon represents good luck and the source of wealth. The Japanese dragon also represents the meaning of freedom and being fearless.

Like the angel, the Japanese Dragon also has the meaning of guardianship, providing a protective force over those it is associated with. Other meanings associated with the Japanese dragon are strength and power. In Japanese culture the dragon is associated with supernatural powers, and amazing wisdom.

The colors of the dragons have special significance, which are based on their parents. For example, a dragon with a black color means his parents are very old and wise.

Therefore dragons are highly respected and admired in Japan and weren't fought like in European tales, for instance.

The samurai warrior is the epitome of masculine courage, honour and justice, and the samurai represents the highest masculine ideals within Japanese culture. The samurai adhered to a strict code of conduct called 'Bushido', meaning 'the way of the warrior'. Bushido was based on the Zen Buddhist principles of Rectitude, Courage, Benevolence, Respect, Trust, Honour and Loyalty until death. Other ideals to which the samurai aspired were self-discipline, frugality, self-sacrifice and nobility.

As a samurai, a warrior was expected to conduct himself and act as if each day were his last, as it might well be. If every day might be a samurai's last, he was expected to keep his affairs in order, so that his family would not be burdened upon his death. A samurai did not want to owe money or other debts for the same reason. A samurai lived in the now, cognizant always of the fleeting nature of existence.

The sword became the symbol of the samurai, and the specific sword known as the katana, was curved, slender, and single-edged with a long grip that could be held with both hands.

As a tattoo design, the samurai symbolizes all the highest ideals of Bushido, honour, loyalty and duty. It expresses the wearer's understanding and appreciation of the importance of living in the moment, of taking not one second of existence for granted.

A samurai was also something of a non-conformist. He always acted upon what he believed was right, irrespective of prevailing social norms, which were subject to change. So, you can also consider him to be somewhat of a social rebel.

I'm sure there might be other interpretations of these symbols, but my reasons for choosing and designing this tattoo are the ones listed above, as I whole heartedly believe in some and aspire to the ones that I lack. It also serves as a reminder and a check if and when my actions are not true to what I've inked. As with most tattoos, this one is not merely for display, but extremely personal

Last edited by vikram18 : 13th March 2010 at 13:14.
vikram18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2010, 06:38   #66

Hey all,

I have a question here about post inking.

What happens to the tattoos as the body grows / expand / ages? For example, a 20 yr old will experience a good body, muscle / fat growth n a 40/50+ yr old will see otherwise. How does this transition moves w.r.t tatto(es)?

Also, can anyone share how much per tattoo costs? Just curious, is getting a tatto outside India expensive than getting it done here? And what about the quality of work done there n here? Looking at vikram's pics, it sure is a clear work of art. And so are some of pradeep menon's sessions.

/Peace
Old 7th April 2010, 16:31   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVictor View Post

What happens to the tattoos as the body grows / expand / ages? For example, a 20 yr old will experience a good body, muscle / fat growth n a 40/50+ yr old will see otherwise. How does this transition moves w.r.t tatto(es)?
Generally, coloured tattoos will get "muddy" with time. The colours won't look as fresh. Black and grey ones will stay true for a longer period of time. As far as growth goes, unless you turn into Arnold Schwarzenegger from a reedy thin guy, the proportions of your tattoo will not really change

Quote:
Also, can anyone share how much per tattoo costs? Just curious, is getting a tatto outside India expensive than getting it done here? And what about the quality of work done there n here?
As with most things in life, you generally get what you pay for. Tattoo artists abroad are more easily found online and hence you get a fair idea of what to expect in terms of quality. Artists generally tend to be better at a particular style of tattooing and so you can choose one who specializes in your kind of design. Indian tattoo artists don't have that much of an online presence and hence it becomes risky to go in for one blindly, as obviously, tattooing is not very easily corrected or reversed.

The costs will vary from artist to artist and will mainly depend on the size and intricacy of the tattoo design. Most tattoo parlours in the US have a minimum charge and then an hourly rate. So whether you do just a dot or a small design taking 20-30 mins, you will have to pay the minimum, which is around $70. Generally you will be charged around $150 an hour for bigger tattoos. Custom designs and large work (whole back, etc.) will depend entirely upon the artist.

I have no clue what rates in India are

Quote:
Looking at vikram's pics, it sure is a clear work of art.
Thanks for the compliment

Last edited by vikram18 : 7th April 2010 at 16:32.
Old 7th April 2010, 19:54   #68

So has anyone tried ? Work done looks good.

Right now I've 2 forms I intend to get inked. Searching for the exact design that I have in mind. I bet this is the toughest part of the process.
Old 8th April 2010, 23:54   #69
BHPian

Quote:
So has anyone tried ? Work done looks good.
I didn't like his work at all. Have a look at the Spartan warrior tattoo. The upraised arm is SO wrong. The bicep is almost where the deltoid should be and it's like there's a chunk eaten out before his forearm. Also, nobody ever raises a spear held like that, so close to the spearhead. The damn spear is crooked too! I'd think twice before getting inked from this guy
Old 4th May 2010, 16:05   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
I didn't like his work at all. Have a look at the Spartan warrior tattoo. The upraised arm is SO wrong. The bicep is almost where the deltoid should be and it's like there's a chunk eaten out before his forearm. Also, nobody ever raises a spear held like that, so close to the spearhead. The damn spear is crooked too! I'd think twice before getting inked from this guy
Yes, spartan warrior and 2 others are not done correctly. Basically, it appears inking faces / human figures is not his strong area. However, work done on remaining tattoos is sharp.

On a separate note, are there any good tattoo parlors in Delhi. I'll be here for another 3 weeks or so. So any pointers would be great.

/Peace
Old 23rd May 2010, 10:35   #71
BHPian

Does anybody know a good tattoo parlour in delhi?
Old 23rd May 2010, 12:15   #72

Went ahead and got the tattoo from Pradeep Manon's Dark Art Studio

Note from Team-BHP Support : Please note that it is imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP) to view our simple help article on uploading pictures. Thanks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 29th May 2010 at 13:52. Reason: Please see the note that has been put at the end of your post by the Support Team.
Old 21st September 2010, 18:03   #73
t18
BHPian

One of my friend in college gave me this gyan, he says after you get yourself a tatoo, you can not donate blood. He says the lead in the ink contaminates our blood. Is this true or just a myth?
Old 9th November 2010, 10:35   #74

Has anyone been to Devilz Tattooz in Delhi?
Devilz Tattooz :: Home :: Tattoos India,Tattoos New Delhi,Tattoos @ Priya, Tattoos Delhi, tattoo studios in delhi, tattoo parlors in delhi, best tattoos in delhi, best tattoo artist in india
Old 10th November 2010, 10:02   #75
BHPian

i just fail to understand why would anybody undergo such pain for a thing which gives no real benefit?

Sam's opening line that says- imagine you're 60 years old and you have this silly looking thing on your arm? this makes complete sense.

Its completely un-natural and an abuse to the natural human body. I feel.

But, its one's own opinion that counts, isnt it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks