Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2012, 13:02   #1
BHPian

Bangalore : Bannerghatta Road partially one way. *UPDATE* Back to 2-Way

The stretch between Sagar Hospital Junction and Old Gurappanapalya Junction on Bannerghatta Road will be made one-way from June 16.

More info here.
Bannerghatta Road stretch to turn one-way

Pic TOI

Bangalore : Bannerghatta Road partially one way. *UPDATE* Back to 2-Way-bannerghatta_road_one-way.jpg
Old 14th June 2012, 14:32   #2
BHPian

Re: Bannerghatta Road made one way!!

@Rajs,

Thanks for the update. I must say this is going to affect the surrounding areas and the traffic severely. I come to subramanya arcade all the way from malleshwaram. Hope things will improve over a period of time

Regards
Ravi
Old 14th June 2012, 14:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

This move would affect traffic severely. The stretch around Carmel Convent is already a headache, plus the xxl sized backbreakers everywhere. I think the Gurappanpalya-Sagar hospital stretch is wider than the road that the diversion would lead us to.
Old 14th June 2012, 15:23   #4
Team-BHP Support

Wow! A change in my very own backyard. I stay right behind BG road and use this road everyday, so I am dreading this.
What do they achieve with that change?
The bottleneck for the morning traffic from Jayadeva underpass is the Sagar Apollo junction and later on above Dairy circle in front of Christ college.

For the evening-returning traffic, the bottleneck is in front of Accenture/Oracle buildings up until Spar Hypermarket. Making the Sagar hospital - Jayadeva underpass direction traffic one-way is useless. It was never jammed to begin with. We need to get rid of those Accenture/Oracle cabs getting into the traffic and causing jams everyday. Let them use a back gate or something and come out from Thavarekere (near Forum mall). Ban these cabs from entering BG road directly, half the problem is solved!

What can we expect now with this change?

- Mornings, there will be a traffic jam at Jayadeva underpass (instead of Jal Bhavan), because everyone coming in from Shoppers' stop will now have to turn into the narrow Reddy Hospital road. My house is on East end C main (behind the Masjid road), which I am sure will be vandalized by all cabbies trying to take shortcuts now to avoid going through East end main road .

- Evenings there will be jams at Accenture/Oracle as usual. Nothing improves there.

- Traffic police better start keeping enough stock of challans to write out for "No-entry" violations. 2-wheelers in this area will obviously try to turn in from BG road towards Sagar hospital / Jal Bhavan. Why would someone staying near Carmel convent want to go all the way till Reddy hospital and come back (2km detour)? They will violate the rules here I am sure. Tilaknagar has way too many wannabe helmetless Rossis and Biaggis too. I wonder how they will cope with one-ways in the area.

- How will people reach the BP petrol bunk opposite IBM?? That bunk owner will have to shut down. Not that he had very good business all the while anyway.

Last edited by KarthikK : 14th June 2012 at 15:33.
Old 14th June 2012, 15:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

It may not be all that bad too. The first couple of days will be mayhem i think.
But after that, things may ease up a bit, only if they also close down the U turn in front of SPAR, and retain the divider beyond Sagar junction, so that right turning traffic stays on the right side of the road and does not hinder traffic going straight. But maybe that is just wishful thinking, knowing the tendency of all and sundry to go to the extreme left to make a right turn.
As for traffic going into the city, it was always better to take the interior roads and avoid Bannerghatta road as much as possible.

Or is all this in preparation for some road widening or Metro work? I think I am accusing BTP of having foresight here. My bad!
Old 14th June 2012, 18:03   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Or is all this in preparation for some road widening or Metro work? I think I am accusing BTP of having foresight here. My bad!
Even I think it might be preparation for Metro as it has been approved in Phase 2.

This oneway arrangement will not help the daily commuters, but inturn will help the tempos, buses and cab to park on the road now. The localites in that surrounding - Gurappannapalya, Tilaknagar, Ashrama and the Slum next to Maheswari Theatre can do more business on the road and behave as if they own the road. These are the one who cause a major roadblock in the peak hour and later. Why can't the road be widened in that stretch.

My mother visits Sagar hospital everyweek. I am sure I have struggle to find a parking near the hospital.

Regards
Old 14th June 2012, 20:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

I don't think it'll do any good but still worsen the situation. The main cause for the traffic jam between diary circle and Jayadeva is due to the inflow of zillions of vehicles from Accenture into the main road and these vehicles trying to take a U-turn through a small opening in front of Spar hypermart. Even after the one way is implemented, there will be a bottleneck situation at Gurappanapalya junction where the vehicles coming from Jal bhavan side will be trying to squeeze into the single lane. As Karthikk mentioned, I can't imagine the life of people living in the peaceful by-lanes of East end area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda
Even I think it might be preparation for Metro as it has been approved in Phase
Is Metro planned for Bannerghatta road? I can't even imagine the plight of commuters during the Metro construction. I also heard that several underpasses have been planned between Jayadeva and Meenakshi temple. The combination of these constructions may further worsen the situation in Bannerghatta road.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 14th June 2012 at 20:27.
Old 15th June 2012, 11:53   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bangalore : Bannerghatta Road partially one way. *UPDATE* Back to 2-Way

Could also be a pilot diversion to prepare for the pending road-widening work. Add the imminent monsoons as well.

I am already budgeting additional 20 minutes to cover Dairy Circle to Savoury/SPAR.
Old 15th June 2012, 12:23   #9
Senior - BHPian

Traffic between Sagar Jn to Jayadeva is not that bad compared to that between Dairy circle and Sagar Jn. I hope BTP may control traffic from Accenture/Oracle, close the U turn in front of Spar, patch up the potholes just before Sagar signal for fast movement and install divider for right turn at Sagar Jn. Also, the right turn in front of HDFC bank need to be controlled while coming from Jayadeva.

I am avoiding Bannerghatta road these days and traveling through signal free Jayanagar interior roads to reach Garuda Swagath Mall - Wilson Garden (Brand factory) and Shanti Nagar/Richmond circle flyover - MG Road.
Old 15th June 2012, 14:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

the key is managing carmel school+temple CRAZY junction (there is no signal there) and the next right joining swagath road is also crazy. Haphazard mechanic bikers and autos coming in and out of tilak nagar were a pain anyways! now this!
Old 16th June 2012, 18:03   #11
BHPian

I work on East End main road. Traffic is a mess since morning. Traffic cops every few meters has resulted in at least 4 junctions on this stretch.Slow moving traffic all along since morning.
Old 16th June 2012, 18:28   #12
BHPian

If its only for traffic that they are doing this, its not going to help much.
The jam is not so near the Sagar Hospital as it is near the SPAR Hypercity and Hyundai showroom, people taking U-turns and wanting to cut between lanes all to either enter SPAR or make a easy exit out of it. Though the Carmel Convent school road is pretty wide, during school hours its a mad rush there and then again there is the regular Tilaknagar traffic.

Its never going to be a jam free Bannerghatta Road what ever they do.
Old 18th June 2012, 10:22   #13
BHPian

Total mess on east end and parallel roads, From tomorrow have to leave 15min early so that i can pass this mess. Guys for few days try to get you bikes instead of cars.
Old 18th June 2012, 11:02   #14
BHPian

Cops on experiment mode today Could not take a right on east end main road, coming from SSMRV as it was turned into a one-way !

And its a two-way now as local shopkeepers are protesting.

And another 10 minutes its again a one way .

Last edited by TheDoctor : 18th June 2012 at 11:19. Reason: Update
Old 18th June 2012, 12:11   #15
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday I was taking this route, and i n spite of being a Sunday it wasn't all that smooth. They are making the BG road congestion free but the parallel road (which is supposed to accommodate the one way traffic from BG road) will be in a total mess. Rule: You can not eliminate the traffic congestion but you can shift it to another point!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks