Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2011, 08:50   #1
Senior - BHPian

An Half Page Ad from an Individual (Retired Govt. Servant) in the Indian Express

Here is what I found in the front page of the Indian Express today. A half page personal ad from a retired govt employee appealing to the PM and CM of TN to give him a chance (18 episodes on TV) to explain Valluvar's (A Tamil poet) remedy for Global Warming and also how to conserve energy. Wondering how he spent this much money to tell this !

An Half Page Ad from an Individual (Retired Govt. Servant) in the Indian Express-24112011074.jpg

An Half Page Ad from an Individual (Retired Govt. Servant) in the Indian Express-24112011073.jpg

I forgot my science, is it really true that using 110V will reduce our energy costs ? Or is he another Ramar Pillai of the 'petrol from herbs' fame ?
esteem_lover is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2011, 11:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: An Half Page Ad from an Individual (Retired Govt. Servant) in the Indian Express

Bunkum. Using 110V will double the current drawn, and hence increase the (energy) losses in electrical machines, apart from millions down the drain for changing equipment. Another deluded Ramar Pillai, no doubt.

Blood 'molecules'? He has no understanding of materials nor biology.

BUT, must admire his conviction that he spends from his pocket to air his views.

Last edited by DerAlte : 24th November 2011 at 11:46.
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2011, 12:24   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: An Half Page Ad from an Individual (Retired Govt. Servant) in the Indian Express

This fella doesn't understand transmission losses. Lower the voltage, higher the current, more transmission loss. That is why long distance transmissions are done at 11,000V.

Strangely enough Even Thomas Edison was under similar confusion. He hated AC, and wanted everything in DC, even transmission. War of Currents - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 24th November 2011, 12:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

@samurai; Now we are up to 1MV DC (to reduce radiation losses). 11kV is only in distribution from the Sub Station to local transformers. I think the previous stage is 33 or 110kV.
Old 24th November 2011, 12:47   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Mr.Krishnamoorthy needs to take science classes again. This reminds me of another gentleman:

Last edited by .anshuman : 25th November 2011 at 21:05. Reason: Video was not attached properly
Old 24th November 2011, 13:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
BUT, must admire his conviction that he spends from his pocket to air his views.
Must have costed a few lakhs to get half a page in the front page of a national English daily. At least let the CM and the PM send him a letter, that should make him happy.
Old 24th November 2011, 14:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

How this guy made himself to customs? Even, his basics of electricity and science is screwed. Moreover, he has got guts to print all this crap in a national daily.

He need to understad P = V*A and anywhere he has not considered ampere in his write-up. It looks like he had made much money during his customs tenure and there is no way for him to spend.
Old 24th November 2011, 14:18   #8
BHPian

Looks like a desperate cry for some attention/publicity to make a quick buck. This should be posted in the official joke thread!
Old 24th November 2011, 14:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
How this guy made himself to customs? ...
Arrey, that is not the Customs dept's fault - he must have had plenty of free time during his working life to mull over his idea of what is engineering.

Search on YT - there was another such ex-bureaucrat who gave an interview to a popular vernacular new channel in north India. Put his foot firmly in his mouth when he expounded his views on software, UDAAI (he doesn't believe it will work or that it will be safe, accurate or reliable), Cloud Computing etc. According to him, in Cloud Computing, one loads data by "cloud seeding" (he accurately described the process of aircraft flying into the sky and dropping / spraying the data)! His worry was that the data will be lost when it rains finally.

Last edited by n_aditya : 25th November 2011 at 11:38. Reason: extra smiley removed.
DerAlte is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2011, 14:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

This thread is an appropriate candidate for either the Offical Joke or W&W Thread.
The gentleman who posted the content needs to actively consider a phychiatric consultation, and possibly, longer term management.

Thanks to esteem_lover for posting this and easing a stressful day.
Old 24th November 2011, 14:32   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
How this guy made himself to customs? Even, his basics of electricity and science is screwed. Moreover, he has got guts to print all this crap in a national daily.

He need to understad P = V*A and anywhere he has not considered ampere in his write-up. It looks like he had made much money during his customs tenure and there is no way for him to spend.
@anujmishra, I was just about to post the formulae.you beat me

No one will spend their hard earned money in this way. It makes me wondering to no limit on reading that Mr.Krishnamoorthy is a retired Superintendent of Customs. I mean, How a person who doesnt even got the basics of science correctly can hold such an esteemed position in customs?
Old 24th November 2011, 15:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

Lost in translation it seems

I am sure, he will have enough time to read more poems after this. Cheers!
Old 24th November 2011, 15:36   #13
Senior - BHPian

I think it is yet another case of "wrongly quoted by media."
Old 24th November 2011, 21:59   #14
BHPian

With due respect. (i) Full marks to the gentleman for conviction; (ii) if we really think about it, purely on a conceptual basis, how different is his behaviour from those who don't eat bananas on thursdays, shut down the ignition of the car when a cat crosses the path etc. The basis of all such beliefs is ignorance or absence of factual substantiation.

Am not trying to defend him. My submission is that any belief that is not backed by empirical evidence falls in the same category. It is just the degree of incredulity surrounding a belief that varies. Unfortunately, some beliefs acquire a following and lose the ability to elicit laughter. I read in some manohar kahaniyaan type book eons back that if you servant gives you a handkerchief you must refold it. Go on...laugh at me.
Deep_Shri is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 02:03   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@samurai; Now we are up to 1MV DC (to reduce radiation losses). 11kV is only in distribution from the Sub Station to local transformers. I think the previous stage is 33 or 110kV.
This probably needs to be spawned of to another thread. Doe sit mean we are taking faster strides in insulation technology than conduction technology?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks