Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2010, 22:33   #1
BANNED

Bharat Stage IV

Hi

Starting April 2010, we are to expect Bharat Stage IV compliant cars being sold in 13 cities. I have few queries regarding the same.

1. Is Bharat Stage IV = Euro IV
2. What is the key difference/upgrade being done. (I understand emissions will be less, but technically, what would have been modified in the car to achieve the same, will it have improved fuel efficiency?
3. Euro IV compliant fuel are also to be introduced. Does this include diesels as well. Does this mean the new generation diesel engines will have better performance/efficiency henceforth
4. Can the existing car be upgraded to Euro IV?
5. I have Hyundai i10 Kappa, is this euro IV compliant?

Sathya
Old 30th March 2010, 12:31   #2
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Find my replies in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosathyas View Post
1. Is Bharat Stage IV = Euro IV - Yes
2. What is the key difference/upgrade being done. (I understand emissions will be less, but technically, what would have been modified in the car to achieve the same, will it have improved fuel efficiency? - It won't have any change in overall FE - the only modification IIRC is moving of the catalytic converter closer to the exhaust manifold to reduce emissions, this usually leads to greater resistance that translates into a slightly lower power output
3. Euro IV compliant fuel are also to be introduced. Does this include diesels as well. Does this mean the new generation diesel engines will have better performance/efficiency henceforth - Euro IV compliant diesel will also be sold in the metros that fall under this category. However, it won't make a big difference to diesel engine technology
4. Can the existing car be upgraded to Euro IV? - Can't be done
5. I have Hyundai i10 Kappa, is this euro IV compliant? - The i10 Kappa exceeds Euro IV and is Euro V compliant
Old 30th March 2010, 12:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

Also, it will also be a good to have an idea of what cars would be affected by the shift to Euro IV
Old 30th March 2010, 13:02   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Excellent questions. Before delving into stage IV, its important to remember that Bharat Stage I prompted the switch over (of Indian cars) from carburettors to fuel injection systems. And it was BS III that led to common-rail diesels becoming the norm! Emission norms are great news for the enthusiast too

Bharat stage IV is equivalent to Euro-IV emission norms (only difference is the speed that emissions are calculated at). We are atleast 5 years behind Europe when you consider that E-IV kicked in (in Europe) in 2005. Though, for a country that got serious about emission norms only in the mid-nineties, I'd say we are doing pretty well. The BS-IV will kick in from day after in about a dozen Indian cities, yet will apply to the entire country sometime in the future.

How do manufacturers comply with newer emissions regulations? Tweaking the engine (including ECU / mapping), more efficient combustion, a better catalytic converter etc. I bet that the 1.2 kappa (being a new gen engine) is E-IV compliant already, though I don't think the same of the ol' Santro motor. Note that that engines compromise their power delivery characteristics (e.g. Ritz doesn't have the punch of the Swift diesel) and may even lose a horse or two.

Last edited by GTO : 30th March 2010 at 13:10.
Old 30th March 2010, 13:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

In addition to the manufacturers tweaking the engines et al, I believe the fuel has to undergo some changes as well in order for it to be BS-4 compliant.

Also, as suggested by thedreamcatcher, it would be helpful to know which cars are affected by the newer emission norms (excluding the M800 and Omni of course).
Old 30th March 2010, 13:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

For instance, it will now rest on manufacturers if they want to spend money and upgrade their cars or discontinue them. Not sure if people will be willing to bear the additional cost on old versions.
Old 30th March 2010, 13:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Driving cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Bharat stage IV is equivalent to Euro-IV emission norms (only difference is the speed that emissions are calculated at).
Correct, the driving cycles for both these norms are different. Indian driving cycle runs at 90 kmph and Euro cycle at 120 kmph.

Spike
Old 30th March 2010, 13:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

Dumb question: Will my BSIII vehicle now not 'pass' the PUC tests?
Old 30th March 2010, 14:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
In addition to the manufacturers tweaking the engines et al, I believe the fuel has to undergo some changes as well in order for it to be BS-4 compliant.
As I understand the BS4 fuel will contain 50 PPM (Parts Per Million) of sulphur compared to the existing 350 PPM of sulphur. SO I hope this should take care of PUC to some extent.
Old 30th March 2010, 14:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

Another dumb question - What positives can we expect when BSIV fuel would be used with BSIII vehicle. Any increase in FE, lesser maintenace costs etc??
Old 30th March 2010, 14:45   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post

Also, as suggested by thedreamcatcher, it would be helpful to know which cars are affected by the newer emission norms (excluding the M800 and Omni of course).
Will the higher quality fuel be available across India? Some news reports indicated that oil companies were not ready with the BSIV quality fuel for pan India distribution; it may be available initially only in the 13 cities where BSIV is being implemented. Is this correct?
If one travels to the cities not included in the 13, and needs to refuel, will the older quality fuel harm the catalytic converters in the BSIV cars?
Old 30th March 2010, 14:54   #12
BHPian

Can we also get a list of cars that are gonna face the axe once BS-IV is into effect.

Autocar mentions that Fabia petrol, Octavia 1.9D, Tavera along with M800 will be discontinued in metros.
Any new additions to that list?
Old 30th March 2010, 14:55   #13
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Another dumb question - What positives can we expect when BSIV fuel would be used with BSIII vehicle. Any increase in FE, lesser maintenace costs etc??
You will not notice any increase in FE nor will you benefit from lower maintenance costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satya79 View Post
If one travels to the cities not included in the 13, and needs to refuel, will the older quality fuel harm the catalytic converters in the BSIV cars?
Using BS III fuel in a BS IV car will not harm the catalytic converter.
Old 30th March 2010, 17:03   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Using BS III fuel in a BS IV car will not harm the catalytic converter.
Are you sure? Why do you say so?

Spike
Old 30th March 2010, 17:36   #15
Senior - BHPian

Maruti or Hyundai announced that they would not be moving on with the production of a few of their cars as they do not want to spend on upgrading to BS4

Not able to recollect which ones. Any ideas

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks