Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2015, 13:07   #376
BHPian

Re: SJ1000 Action / Dash Camera - An extended review(SJM10 update pg.15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Got this email:
Hope someone can get a good discount. (Seems like I paid full price
Had ordered the SJCam 4000 wifi from Puhui Digital during the promotion period on 8th June 2015. Received it today.
Total cost:
Price: 77$- Rs. 4910.00
Customs Duty- Rs. 1275.00
Total- Rs. 6185.00
Thanks to Klub Class and mvadq!!
raghuvir is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 15:31   #377
BHPian

Just noticed - the audio from my SJ4000 WiFi is pretty feeble, seems like this is a known problem.

Anyone else feel the audio is very weak? Any fixes?
-------
- Found a solution - Use VLC Player with the latest KLite Codec Pack!
Hope this helps somebody!

Last edited by mvadg : 15th July 2015 at 15:37.
mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 12:41   #378
BHPian

After reading most of the reviews on Team BHP on Dash cams, and listening to some of the other reviews from Techmoan on various other cameras with video reviews and sample clips, I decided to take the plunge and go and purchase a dash cam. But I had a particular plan in my mind, to have a double camera dash cam for the front and rear, and almost decided to go for a model Vico Marcus 5 initially. However it was more expensive and the team BHP updates on SJCAM 4000 with WiFi, seemed like another option I can consider, only that I need to buy 2 separate cameras for front and rear. Still it would work far economical than other cameras I was considering. Some of the interesting points by which I decided on SJCAM was:
  • Reviews by Techmoan, with detailed videos, was promising
  • Reviews on Team BHP along with user reviews and shipping to India options gave more confidence
  • Ali Express and Puhui Digital seemed like a best purchasing option. SJCAM on eBay and Amazon was twice expensive with 11K INR and the camera didn't have SJCAM Logos
  • Camera comes with many accessories, to fix on car, motor bikes, bicycles, helmets, etc wherever
  • Features like 170 degree wide angle lens, battery backup of more than 1 hour etc seemed better
  • It can also be used underwater up-to 30 meters, and also functions as an alternate camera to shoot personal pictures, videos. 1080P with Wide angle lens was good
  • It can also function as a surveillance camera, if needed.
  • WiFi feature was more interesting to me and I was planning to use the rear camera to pair up with my Nexus 5, to use it as a rear-viewing camera for my Scorpio

Went ahead and placed the order for Two SJCAM 4000 WiFi cameras on Aliexpress on July 3rd. Picked up the option of Singapore post as courier option.

Amazingly the seller shipped fast and the cameras were delivered to me on 15th July, in just 12 days. Bought the following also separately, 32 GB class 10 SanDisk cards, 2 windshield mounts and 1 extra battery (since i have 2 cameras, just one additional backup) and 2 meter long micro USB cables. Luckily, the Bangalore post didn't charge me any duty, even after I had 2 cameras in the box they delivered.

Due to some personal commitments, couldn't experiment with the cameras, even though shot some in-house videos, photos etc.

Just tried out fixing it in the Scorpio now and it looks like this. By working out various positions, I felt like this is the best position for now.

For front, I didn't use the wind shield mount, but rather used the Bicycle Stand mount, fixed it on the IRVM and the camera is not prominently visible now. When the windshield suction cup or the sticker type mounts are used, the camera is more prominent to outside. Sticker type mount is placed under IRVM, as an alternate option just in case it is needed. Power is pulled from the front 12V socket, and the cables are visible.

For rear, the camera is placed on top-center of the glass. Camera is visible. In the current position, I can clearly see the rear, and even the reversing view is much better. When I use WiFi on the rear camera and pair with my nexus 5, the rear side view clearly appears on my phone. I can comfortably use it as a reversing or rear-view camera in this mode. However my current micro USB the cable is not that long and I am pulling the power from my middle 12V socket. Cable length is just enough and cable is hanging for now, need to fix that.

My next step is to keep the Micro USB cables hidden, for both front and rear. Will keep you updated about the camera experience and also the wiring I am going to do.
Attached Thumbnails
SJ1000 Action / Dash Camera - An extended review(SJM10 update pg.15)-img_20150721_102303.jpg  

SJ1000 Action / Dash Camera - An extended review(SJM10 update pg.15)-img_20150721_102240.jpg  

SJ1000 Action / Dash Camera - An extended review(SJM10 update pg.15)-img_20150721_102222.jpg  

SJ1000 Action / Dash Camera - An extended review(SJM10 update pg.15)-img_20150721_102135.jpg  

Last edited by narayanang76 : 21st July 2015 at 13:01.
narayanang76 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2015, 11:26   #379
BHPian

An update:

Today I routed the cables through the side panels and carpets and now the cable is hidden almost completely. For this bought the following USB cable extension from Amazon, Bandridge BCL4302 - 2.0M USB Extension Cable.

For my Scorpio, I had to use 2 such extension cables for my rear camera and 1 extension cable for my front camera. The final end connecting both the cameras are the same small cable received in the box of SJCAM. Power is drawn from 12V power sockets, from front and middle row seats. Tested, the cameras are working fine after the simple wiring job, only that I had to spend around 1 hour plus to complete a proper DIY job.
narayanang76 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 12:11   #380
Senior - BHPian

I've been intending to post some pics and videos from my SJ4000 WiFi camera on this thread but strapped for time lately.

Below are a few links which contains pics and videos shot from the SJCAM unit mounted on my helmet.

1 (Yercaud - A memorable ride with the boys!)

2 (Yercaud - A memorable ride with the boys!)

The quality of pics and videos are awesome. Yes, the photos have a tinge of blue but the camera adapts very well on video mode with change in lighting conditions. Only downside is that the battery barely lasts a little over an hour even with 720p video record setting. To address this issue, I bought 2 spare batteries that I change during my rides if needed.

On another note, check this out. The action camera industry and particularly GoPro seems to be getting serious competition with companies such as SJCAM, Sena and Mi making a recent entry into this field.

Graava is the newest on the block leveraging cloud technology for editing recorded videos.

Last edited by n_aditya : 6th August 2015 at 12:14.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 14:03   #381
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Got the cam delivered today.
After ~5 months, the M10 has given up on me! :(

The micro-usb port has become lose, and thus I cannot charge it or transfer pics by connecting a cable. Reading up on dashcamtalk, it seems the flimsy USB is typical of sjcam series and one can open it up and re-solder the joint. While I will look for someone who can do this for me, I am tempted to go for Yi, but given it does not auto start/stop, might just go for Mobius. Let's see.
Old 11th August 2015, 15:44   #382
Senior - BHPian

The micro USB port of my SJ4000 broke off last week while my son was taking it out of its holder. Another friend also had the same thing happen to his SJ4000. Any idea if it can be soldered back/repaired?
Old 12th August 2015, 11:33   #383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIndian View Post
Guys,

A basic query. Any idea how to lock/ protect a video clip in SJCAM4000 so that it won't get overwritten? There were a few clips I accidentally locked but don't know how I did it
^^ Bump Bump
Anyone knows how to lock / protect a recorded vidio clip to prevent overwriting?
Old 12th August 2015, 11:39   #384
Distinguished - BHPian

Sj1000

Is all i have after using the SJ1000 .

Purchased it an year and half ago for around 5.2K from aliexpress thinking that i will use it as a dash cam. But the suction mount vibrates like crazy and all the videos are shaky.

Then it went into hibernation for nearly an year. Next i thought i would use it as a helmet cam to record my rides. Again there are no helmet mounts. There are sticker mounts which are flat and do not conform to the curved nature of the helmet surface. So they wont even stick for long.

All in all, it is an excellent cam let down by pathetic mounts. What is the point of providing plenty of mounts if none of them are properly usable.I would not recommend this to anyone!

If anyone can provide me with an alternative sturdy car mount i would be grateful!

Now its back to hibernation!
Old 12th August 2015, 14:00   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIndian View Post
^^ Bump Bump
Anyone knows how to lock / protect a recorded vidio clip to prevent overwriting?
This is what I found while searching on Google.

The SJ4000 gives you the ability to lock a file while recording, just press the Mode button twice. Once to turn the screen on and the second locks the file. Normally it's only one button press when the screen is on, yet with the screen off the Mode button wakes the screen first. The good part is the Mode button is large and easy to find so no hunting to find the right button. A key shows on the top of the SJ's screen to indicate it's locked and locked files show in windows explorer with "SOS" preceding the file number and in a separate folder so it's easy to find them.

Try it out, hope it works.
Old 12th August 2015, 14:42   #386
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sj1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post

Purchased it an year and half ago for around 5.2K from aliexpress thinking that i will use it as a dash cam. But the suction mount vibrates like crazy and all the videos are shaky.

If anyone can provide me with an alternative sturdy car mount i would be grateful!

Try this - http://www.banggood.com/Windshield-S...d-p-80420.html
I bought this and it is serving me well. It took more than a month for this thing to reach me after I placed my order.
Old 12th August 2015, 15:04   #387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post

Then it went into hibernation for nearly an year. Next i thought i would use it as a helmet cam to record my rides. Again there are no helmet mounts. There are sticker mounts which are flat and do not conform to the curved nature of the helmet surface. So they wont even stick for long.

All in all, it is an excellent cam let down by pathetic mounts. What is the point of providing plenty of mounts if none of them are properly usable.I would not recommend this to anyone!

To you and all the guys out here using SJ1000 and having problem with the car windshield mount - Good News.

I have found a solution and it works wonders. Even the night video is awesome now, leave aside day video.
Will post with some pictures for reference within a couple of days.
Old 12th August 2015, 15:07   #388
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Try this - http://www.banggood.com/Windshield-S...d-p-80420.html
I bought this and it is serving me well. It took more than a month for this thing to reach me after I placed my order.
Are you using it with SJ1000?
If so, can you please post a pic of the mount with the camera?
Old 12th August 2015, 20:40   #389
BHPian

A sample video using SJCAM SJ4000, recorded during a recent trip to Kerala. I tried to edit the Audio on YouTube, the audio recording on camera was clear enough.

Please view the video on 1080P mode. It will be available on YouTube Video Settings.

PS: I have a night video also recorded, will upload that later.

regards,
narayanang76
narayanang76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 09:00   #390
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_mait View Post
To you and all the guys out here using SJ1000 and having problem with the car windshield mount - Good News.

I have found a solution and it works wonders. Even the night video is awesome now, leave aside day video.
Will post with some pictures for reference within a couple of days.
Awesome in what sense? Does your solution eliminate vibrations?

Please share the details

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks