Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2007, 01:39   #1
Senior - BHPian

1972 Mercedes 220

I have been on the look out for quite sometime now for a few quality Mercs, (greedy me) all classic of course. Around 4 months ago, I chanced upon a fair car a 1973 Mercedes 220 petrol sedan of the 115 series (1968-1976) also called the "Compact" shape. A visit to where she was parked and a meeting with the owner later, I was convinced that the price he was asking for was astronomically high and outrageous. The car needed work but was complete. It started and ran well and its interiors were good. It was a Left Hand Drive, Direct Import, Bombay Regd. something which added to its exclusivity as now LHD cars are not importable nor can they be registered in out city. Obviously the gErman Tank had seen quite a lot of neglect recently.
I gave a very fair offer and walked out, sure that he'd never call on me to sell his car.
Around last week when I returned from Pune (also driven in a similar 115 owned by a friend) I ws convinced that a 115 was a car to aquire. Not many were seen and the ones that were there were rising in their value. In the next few years, im sure it would be difficult to find one. As luck would have it, the very next day, I got a call from the owner asking if I was interested in the car still, as he was leaving town and the rains had started, so before he left he wanted to sell the car lest it deteriorated. A couple of minutes of price related talk and the 220 was driven by my mechanic (of the 1100D fame) to my place. I took a short trial and in the next 10 minutes, off it went to his workshop for resurrection and restoration. Call me mad or whatever, but thats how I am. Impulsive and I want my cars in mint condition, fully restored. It now aquires the much coveted space next the 1100D being restored. I presume both cars should be done by the middle of next month.
Through its restoration, I shall take you through a pictoral journey with this one too.

PART I

Parked in the Garage waiting to be stripped.

The last year featuring quarter glasses. They were discontinued the following year.

The side strips are not original so will have to source them from somewhere and get rid of these horrid faux ones.

The interiors are fairly good but require restoration.

Love this Bakelite steering. This was the last year it was featured. From 1973 onwards, the padded wheel came into existance.

Its a four speed, floor shift, manual transmission

The engine is in good shape. Just needs a good tune up and change of lubricants besides a very good cleaning

PART II

The work had already begun in the next three days that I visited the Garage. The fittings were off and some patch work was being done on the exterior.

....More is coming....
Old 18th July 2007, 01:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

A week later some more areas were identified where rust had seeped in viz; wheel arches, doors, flooring etc. As you can see it is being attended to throughly.

The front flooring is as you can see very rusted

So is the flooring near the rear wheel well

The C Pillar joint was found filled in with filler or what we call "Car Patch". All the filler is now being removed.

It will be a scrap down job so the door was scrapped to see how many coats of paint it had, had earlier. To my delight it was in original paint and therefore we unearthed the original primer too. Wow!!

so long for now. Tomorrow i go shopping..... Ill keep you guys posted!!
Old 18th July 2007, 01:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

Gogi sirji, congratulations on another fine and worthy addition to your stable. Your pics bring a smile to the face of anyone who has tried to restore a car.

Can't wait to see how this turns out.
Old 18th July 2007, 02:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

That is such a lovely face to see. But how are you going to procure the floor panel? Or does your mechanic intend to fabricate it.

Would love to own a W123 in India someday. (My 700th post going on something very special to my heart)
Old 18th July 2007, 03:17   #5
BHPian

Somewhere when i started my journey on Team-Bhp,i saw your post on your family car's,it left me imagining on the gone era where Mercedes owners were seen next only to gods(in India atleast).

I can imagine the respect this car would have got during its 'younger days,it has (indicatively) run only 92 odd thousand kms too! I can only wonder the car's luck over similar model Mercedes car's available in India...To have found an enthusiast master like you.

You have my respect V-16.
Old 18th July 2007, 03:29   #6
BHPian

So finally you managed to post the pics huh..Just waiting for her to get ready & roll seriously..By the way you have yet not told me the count?

Niki
Old 18th July 2007, 03:34   #7
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Incredible. I like older Mercedes's and would definitely buy and restore someday like you. Btw, if you don't mind can you disclose the price ?
Old 18th July 2007, 08:41   #8
Senior - BHPian

This is one car that i really love.. There is one in Bangalore that i have My Eye on.. Its beautiful and Black in color.. Very well maintained.. LHD again.
Looks like its been restored. But..Its not for sale.

Congrats on your new car.

Godfather
Old 18th July 2007, 09:56   #9
Team-BHP Support

Good find Gogi. I am sure your mech is going to pull out another stunner. Wish you luck. Hey what's up with the Fiat?
Old 18th July 2007, 10:06   #10
Team-BHP Support

Gogi, please remove those mirrors and paint it black. After everything your baby should look like this.

Old 18th July 2007, 10:16   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
That is such a lovely face to see. But how are you going to procure the floor panel? Or does your mechanic intend to fabricate it.

Would love to own a W123 in India someday. (My 700th post going on something very special to my heart)
Thanks bud, unfortunately, finding an original panel is next to impossible here, so it will have to be fabricated but im not worried, im sure my guy can conjure it.

@ Moralfibre- Kiran thanks. Thanks again for the merc link. I was orgasmic seeing those pics of the beautifully maintained mercs. The fiat is coming on fine. Its getting its coat of primer as all the tin works finished. Should post pics when the first primer application is done. Also will keep you folks posted on the Fiat's engine and interior rebuild.
@ Rudra- Thanks my friend. I would love to colour it black but the paint code tab on the engine plate tells me it should be a particular shade of white. I'm personally sold to the Black colour. And yes these rear view mirrors are not original so they'll have to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
This is one car that i really love.. There is one in Bangalore that i have My Eye on.. Its beautiful and Black in color.. Very well maintained.. LHD again.
Looks like its been restored. But..Its not for sale.Congrats on your new car.
Godfather
Thanks Godfather. You know most of these cars are lying in non use getting deteriorated. When you make the first move you get an angry reply, as if you want it free. Some excuse is thrown at you for not selling and then one day, not in the very distant future, you learn, its sold to some scrap dealer for half the price you had offered. Im full of episodes like these where ive lost beauties to some chor bazar guy. My reading is if the cars in regular use then maybe it is not for sale but if its neglected, then he'll sell it eventually. Just keep a tab on the thing.
Old 18th July 2007, 10:22   #12
BANNED

Nice piece of classic car, BTW she is 2 years younger to me .
Seen many of them in Mumbai.Best of luck mate for your built.
Old 18th July 2007, 10:27   #13
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful find Gogi! Looks like Rasool's having a hell of a time restoring your cars! Looking forward to seeing this beauty in the flesh on my next trip
Old 18th July 2007, 10:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Ajay,V13pr, Nikibusa, Dessertfox, Rjk for the appreciation and the encouragement.
@ Ajay- I thought so too man but they're getting scarce and more and more difficult to find by the day. Also the prices are skyrocketting. So if you're looking for a car like this, its the time now!!
@ Iraghava- Rasools not restoring this one mate
Old 18th July 2007, 10:43   #15
Senior - BHPian

Shes a beauty Sirji. I was waiting for the pics from the time you told me you had bought. I know she'll be up and running like new in no time. There is something about these old Mercs that magical. The new Mercedes cars just lack it.

Btw Gogi, I saw the gear shift and knob in the interior pics. Is that the original one?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks