Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2013, 11:41   #3316
BHPian

Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
@Arizonajim

[EDIT:] The Enfield I 'had'.. Finally sold him yesterday after 4 years of companionship.

Thanks.
Hi man_of_steel,

Whats this we hear ?? Please shed some more light on this

Regards,
Jimmy
Old 7th November 2013, 12:08   #3317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_u View Post
Hi man_of_steel,

Whats this we hear ?? Please shed some more light on this

Regards,
Jimmy
Hi Jimmy_u

Ive sold my '09 TBTS yesterday. The bike a.k.a 'Bucephalus' was my first bike and Iam sure everyone here can understand the emotional attachment we develop with a bike especially to our first bike. Along the ownership, Ive always felt that RE's should be having better brakes, I am not even concerned with the top speed, but only 2 things I was missing in it:brakes and the cruising speed of the bike. And the brake part became obvious when I met with an accident 6 months back due to which I was in complete bed rest for over 4 months. Then I decided that I should have a bike with more braking power and most importantly ABS. But still, I didnt consider selling 'him'. Now I got back onto the saddle a month back and started doing my routine weekend rides. But still I was missing the confidence on the brakes of the bike and lack of better options in 19" tires in the market was was not at all helping. A machine weighing close to 190kgs is ought to have better brakes to handle the momentum it generates. So finally after weighing 'requirements', 'priorities' and 'emotional attachment' on the same scale, decided to sell him. It was easier said than done. Almost cried when I saw the empty space in the parking lot today morning.

And thanks for asking. Telling this much has made me feel much better!
man_of_steel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 12:16   #3318
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Jimmy_u

I am sure everyone here can understand the emotional attachment we develop with a bike especially to our first bike.

And thanks for asking. Telling this much has made me feel much better!
Hi man_of_steel,

I absolutely understand the emotions attached to the 1st Bike.

I own a 2004 Bajaj Caliber 115 (Hoodibaba) as it was launched then and it is still going strong, there was a lot of though to selling it, 3-4 buyers interested came , offered a decent amount for it , but a lot of afterthought went into "DO i really want to Sell my 1st Bike"

Looking at me thinking about this finally my family agreed to retain it.

this forum itself is a stress buster so Cheers mate !!

Please do share what next are you planning , let me take a wild guess, it it the Duke 390 ???

Last edited by Jimmy_u : 7th November 2013 at 12:17.
Jimmy_u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 12:39   #3319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi man_of_steel,

I absolutely understand the emotions attached to the 1st Bike.

I own a 2004 Bajaj Caliber 115 (Hoodibaba) as it was launched then and it is still going strong, there was a lot of though to selling it, 3-4 buyers interested came , offered a decent amount for it , but a lot of afterthought went into "DO i really want to Sell my 1st Bike"

Looking at me thinking about this finally my family agreed to retain it.

this forum itself is a stress buster so Cheers mate !!

Please do share what next are you planning , let me take a wild guess, it it the Duke 390 ???
Cheers mate!

Good guess on the 390! But as I said, Ive been weighing requirements and priorities.. I just loved the mad character of the 390 and the price, but as my better half will be joining me soon, pillion seat comfort is a priority for 2 up touring. So duke is out of question. So in comes the CBR Repsol edition (Almost decided..). Only down side is steep pricing, almost 10-15k more than D390! :(

@others, sorry for going OT from the thread..!
Old 7th November 2013, 13:17   #3320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
a bit OT:

I was looking at doing similar mods to my C5. Now the dilemma is whether to go ahead as planned, or sell the C5 and once the GT is launched and settled in india. Getting the GT seems to make more sense at this point, however, we are not sure of the price it will be launched at. I will be using the bull mostly for tours, and ktm for the daily usage. GTs riding posture is aggressive. I can overcome the handle bar issue by using a RD type. (i feel the bike will look nice only with RD bars). Will have to explore something for the foot rest position. a lot of all this is ambiguous at this point, some clarity will come after a decent test ride.
What are your thoughts on the above.

The Continental GT has clip on style bars and you cannot fit the RD bars on it. The bike launches in India on 26th NOV in Goa.

Regards
Naren
Old 7th November 2013, 18:35   #3321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cheers mate!

Good guess on the 390! But as I said, Ive been weighing requirements and priorities.. I just loved the mad character of the 390 and the price, but as my better half will be joining me soon, pillion seat comfort is a priority for 2 up touring. So duke is out of question. So in comes the CBR Repsol edition (Almost decided..). Only down side is steep pricing, almost 10-15k more than D390! :(

@others, sorry for going OT from the thread..!
A bit OT again, but i got my duke 390 delivered 2 weeks back. One of those days, i took my wife for a 20 kms spin on the 390 and was shocked to hear from her that the ride as a pillion was not bad. I was expecting her to crib about the small seat/ disconfort, etc, as i remember very clearly how unhappy she was with the stock C5 seat during the first ride. One of the reasons, i eventually made my C5,s pillion seat exactly similar to riders seat. Before the C5, we use to ride on Machismo, and she was very happy with the comfort of that stock seat.
So the 390's pillion seat may not be that uncomfortable for short rides provided the pillion is holding the rider. I guess, the better suspension of 390 would be a factor too. For touring, i am sure it would be uncomfortable, especially with the fast nature and strong engine breaking of the bike.

Quote:
The Continental GT has clip on style bars and you cannot fit the RD bars on it. The bike launches in India on 26th NOV in Goa.
True. i was hoping of some jugaad like using a pair of bar raisers on the existing clip-on mounting point, and see if there could be a way out..

But as of now, the GT plan is taken a back seat, as i am really excited about the HD street 500. Its revulution X engine is rumoured to make around 40-45 bhp. SOHC instead of push rods, liquid cooled, v twin, with 5 cms more GC compared to super low, and made in India. Going by the pricing of made in India dukes, i am hoping for HD to price it competitively for the indian market. Shall wait for its launch and pricing during the coming auto expo. The street at 3.25 L would be much more appealing to me then the GT at 2.25L. I am sure my current C5 will contribute about a lakh to that.

Last edited by nasirkaka : 7th November 2013 at 18:47.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 20:18   #3322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
One of those days, i took my wife for a 20 kms spin on the 390 and was shocked to hear from her that the ride as a pillion was not bad. I was expecting her to crib about the small seat/ disconfort, etc
Well I am also surprised with your wife's comment! Is'nt it a bit too much to hang on to your dear life in such a small and slim patch of foam!! But I want the pillion seat to be comfortable for covering atmost 300-400 kms a day. I believe the CBR's seat can deliver that comfort.

Quote:
as i remember very clearly how unhappy she was with the stock C5 seat during the first ride. One of the reasons, i eventually made my C5,s pillion seat exactly similar to riders seat. Before the C5, we use to ride on Machismo, and she was very happy with the comfort of that stock seat.
Same thoughts here too!! The C5's seat is too narrow and the foam is too soft and thick. Puts pillion in a miserable position indeed! The foam changes shape too easily resulting in the pillion rocking back and forth with the acceleration and braking!

Quote:
So the 390's pillion seat may not be that uncomfortable for short rides provided the pillion is holding the rider. I guess, the better suspension of 390 would be a factor too. For touring, i am sure it would be uncomfortable, especially with the fast nature and strong engine breaking of the bike.
Another problem I considered for the duke is that, mostly my pillion will be fully geared. In the duke the pillion grabbing on to the rider results in both the helmets banging against each other. I find it so irritating!

Quote:
But as of now, the GT plan is taken a back seat
nasirkaka, still dont understand why you are considering the CGT with the monstrous 390 at your hand!
Old 7th November 2013, 20:53   #3323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Same thoughts here too!! The C5's seat is too narrow and the foam is too soft and thick. Puts pillion in a miserable position indeed! The foam changes shape too easily resulting in the pillion rocking back and forth with the acceleration and braking!
considering your touring requirement, cbr would be a better bet anyday, unless u wanna wait for sometime to check out the street 500 before freezing.

Quote:
nasirkaka, still dont understand why you are considering the CGT with the monstrous 390 at your hand!
as i have always felt the C5 to be under-powered for what it could have been, was considering the CGT for some extra horses + additional goodies like better frame, suspension, light, lighter crank, rear disc, etc. Intention was to tweak the riding posture (the handle bat mostly) and some luggage carrying provision, to suit touring. Seating and foot peg position seems ok from the pics. i want to maintain two bikes, one for daily commuting to office and short single day trips, where the bike is light weight, and easy to flick/park/lift etc in Bangalore kind of traffic. 390 seems to fit-in well there. C5 is not ideal, as its heavy, and does not like revving, especially in lower gears. And have another bike, for those once a month, longer tours, of 2+ days, where comfort/luggage carrying capacity would be important. C5 is with me for the same, CGT was a passing thought for the same, and now this news of the two streets have also created some excitement. There are some more interesting bikes which may soon see our roads. I shall lie quiet for a while, start saving, and enjoy the 390 in the meanwhile.
Old 8th November 2013, 01:05   #3324
Senior - BHPian

There are several different Shell Helix HX3 oils available. The one shown in the photo you posted is rated as conforming to API SF/CD, SG/CD or SJ/CF.

The "S" ratings are for regular gasoline (petrol) engines. The "C" ratings are for diesels.
Oils meeting any of the JASO requirements will not cause excessive clutch slippage.

It seems that every few years API comes out with updated requirements for regular engines and this is proving to not be for the better when it comes to motorcycle engines. Many of the new requirements mandate reductions in the additives such as phosphorous because under certain conditions it can damage catalytic converters.

While this is probably a worthwhile goal, the older engines found on many motorcycles need these additives to properly lubricate their cam/valve lifters, gears and pistons.

To provide replacements for these older lubricants the companies have added newer super slippery lubes to the oils. While the simple old style Iron Barrels which do not share their engine oil with the clutch and transmission can use these newer oil types, the motorcycles that share their oil can develop problems with their clutches.

As I mentioned, the "C" ratings are for diesel engines. These engines run under higher loads and the new super lubes often do not work well in them.
The result is that most of the oils that still have the diesel ratings will provide the lubrication that motorcycle engines need and that can include the UCE style which share their oil with the primary chain/clutch and transmission.

Anyway, I'm a firm believer in using the oils recommended by the motorcycle maker.
He best knows what will work and what will not.
That said, if the motorcycle maker has said to use Motul or Castrol or some other brand, they are doing it because they get a kickback from the oil company.
Any oil that meets the recommended API and JASO requirements recommended will work fine.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 8th November 2013 at 01:11.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 10:28   #3325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...The bike a.k.a 'Bucephalus' was my first bike and Iam sure everyone here can understand the emotional attachment we develop with a bike especially to our first bike. ...
Quote:
...I absolutely understand the emotions attached to the 1st Bike...2004 Bajaj Caliber 115 (Hoodibaba) as it was launched ...
Just could not resist the temptation to add my sentiments. I had a CD100 SL back in my college days, was brought second hand, but it was my own after all.

The bike use to give up smoke the moment I cross 40 kmph. The petrol tank used to leak, no matter how much amount of Mseal I used to apply. Literally I had to move the bike to shade the moment there was sunlight falling on the tank. The mileage used to drop rapidly the moment I cross 40. All mamas at all the crossings would ask me to take the sideline and then on some or other "bahanas" demand 50-100 rupees.

But still it was close to my heart. I remember the way I used to cover her before going back to my hometown, lubricating her after coming back, washing etc. Alas, I was not aware of this forum at that time, probably I could have saved her.

I still remember the day when I had to sell her off. Infact I requested the gentleman to take the bike with him when I was in the college, so that I do not have to see her leaving me. And yes, I cried.

CD100 SL was Sleek from Hero Honda.
Motorcycle number : 1108 (Maharashtra registration but do not remember the initial part)

Sorry for being off topic, but after reading your views could not resist myself. Probably we should start a thread on similar lines.
Majumdarda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 14:26   #3326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexanerax View Post

Regards
Naren

Are you from Goa? Any idea where I could get RE saddle bags and RE helmet (the white one they sell at their brand stores) in Panjim or Mapusa ?
Old 9th November 2013, 10:17   #3327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipta View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by adises View Post
The Royal Enfield website still shows 14.5 ± 1 Ltr for the DS and 13.5 Ltr for the C5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
I had written to Customer service of Royal Enfield and they informed that neither DS or Other Classic 500s have a 20L tank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Quote:

Hello all,

Received E-mail from CS RE department :-

"Dear Sir,

The has been no increase in the size of the tank, the capacity is only
14.5 liters, only the dimension has been changed to make it look
flatter.

Regards,
Rajkumar"

So I consider it to be a change in shape of the petrol tanks.
Anybody having procured a new model in the recent days, can verify the exact capacity by filling
Majumdarda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2013, 18:35   #3328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Hello all,
The has been no increase in the size of the tank, the capacity is only
14.5 liters, only the dimension has been changed to make it look
flatter.
Anybody having procured a new model in the recent days, can verify the exact capacity by filling
Mine is an Oct release (manufactured in sept), and it defn did not take 20 lts when I filled it the first time. Its still running on its first tank.
Old 9th November 2013, 19:46   #3329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Mine is an Oct release (manufactured in sept), and it defn did not take 20 lts when I filled it the first time. Its still running on its first tank.
Mine is August, Though I have not yet filled the tank to the capacity, but RE has said from the beginning that it is 14.5. :(
I will try to fill once the second servicing is over and I get some long roads to enjoy at a stretch.

Which model are you driving mate?
Old 9th November 2013, 20:39   #3330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandkenkare View Post
Are you from Goa? Any idea where I could get RE saddle bags and RE helmet (the white one they sell at their brand stores) in Panjim or Mapusa ?
Hi,

I am based in Dehradun / Bangalore. Check the RE website, they have addresses there.
http://royalenfield.com/accessories/...te=-1&city=222

Regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks